Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: We're here!....  (Read 18706 times)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
We're here!....
« on: October 12, 2014, 05:53:07 AM »
 Warning.....this is a holiday report!
Well we made it! Smooth trip, simple but nice apartment, however bedroom faces Kalamar Road so the traffic noise (and dare I say it, barking dogs, will take some getting used to!!  ??? Quick stroll into town last night avoiding the puddles for a glass of wine.
Have woken this morning to blue skies and yes, as described in the apartment write up a tantalising glimpse of the sea!
It's nice to be 'home'!  :laugh:

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12456.0

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: We're here!....
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 09:16:39 AM »
Glad you arrived safe and sound Babs. I was thinking of you yesterday in all that rain! Look forward to hearing all about your stay. While we were there in April, we stayed at the yelken and that was close to the road but we didn't lose any sleep, however I appreciate it was quieter then. Mr and Mrs onelove were above us and I know they had some disturbed  night's 're the dogs but we slept like logs. We are either deep sleepers or were in alcoholic stupor' s!
Have a fab holiday and tell us all about it!  :) 8)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 09:30:19 AM »
Yeah Babs your there safe and sound, hope you have a fantastic holiday, the webcam looks like the weather has cleared up this morning, so hopefully you'll be donning those beach shoes and going for a nice swim at the town beach  :D :D Looking forward to reading your reports very soon.

Jx

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 02:12:06 PM »
Ha ha, loved the warning alert.
Really looking forward to hearing all about your stay and here's hoping you get more sun than rain during your stay. Enjoy :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 02:34:06 PM »
Have a lovely time Babs we certainly did.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 04:08:34 PM »
Well what a very civilised and chilled day that was! The promised showers didn't appear just a few fluffy clouds over the mountains! Spent the day on the town beach generally doing nothing....bliss. Off to the Korsan Meze tonight as tradition says it is our first night out restaurant....to have Meze......strangely enough! Lizilu.......I'll take your comment as advice to make sure we sleep well tonight!  :laugh:

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 03:34:39 PM »
Ha! ........proof that forum members like to know the minute details of others holidays......as a test I wrote the most boring post and so no one replied!  :laugh:
So on to today.....well what a strange one!
Started off exactly the same as yesterday.....breakfast in Fener, beach and lunch at Kleo. As the ran clouds gathered over the mountains the beach stayed packed, all studiously ignoring the increasingly loud rumbles of thunder! As very large raindrops started to fall even the most hardy of us made a dash for Kleo.......where there was a Dunkirk spirit. To everyone's amazement and amusement torrential rain fell for about an hour while all the time the sun shone brightly! Kalkan never fails to amaze me! Not quite sure what's going on now as still cloudy over the mountains and very humid. Glad we have booked Mussakka for this evening so we can be under cover if necessary!
Things seem to be closing down earlier than usual here.....as someone mentioned Seaport is all closed up and We watched from the beach today as all the sun beds at Palm Bech club were packed away.....seems a bit short sighted with half term still to come?
On the other hand we have never seen the Korsan Meze as busy as last night. It always surprises me that it never seems to get mentioned on here. As ever the food was great and the waiters as friendly and efficient as ever.
So looking forward to another lovely evening tonight......a bit of early shopping research.....bags (there, I've said it!) amongst other things......but probably not quite as much to drink as last night!  :laugh:

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 03:55:22 PM »
Glad you are having a lovely time Babs :). We arrived home yesterday to howling winds and rain, but unfortunately no sunshine!  I love all the Korsan restaurants, great location, great food and not as noisey as some of the harbour front restaurants.  Have a lovely evening!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 04:04:35 PM »
I wasnt sure if your previous post was a comment on another post - too short to be a holiday report, I thought. Ha, you were just toying with us Babs :)
The weather sounds entertaining but at least you are getting some sunshine. I think Palm tends to close mid-October but when we've been there late season its certainly still been open at least until 17/18th. Maybe they've looked at the weather forecast and thought they may not get the business for those last few days - who knows. We've never been to any of the Korsan restaurants - I've no idea why but they tend to be off our radar - although Kapan's a little further along from them is. Maybe we'll give them a try next year.
Enjoy Musakka tonight - one of our favourites!
Thanks for posting, Babs. I prefer these longer reports though...just sayin.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 04:29:14 PM »
Ha Ha   ;D - you are such a tease Babs!! I see you followed my 'advice' - but did it work  ???
Hope you slept soundly and built up enough energy for all that bag shopping later. We've often condisered coming at half term - it's only the purse strings that have stopped us, so what a pity everything is winding down early, when the sun (apart from the shower's)and the sea are still warm and it certainly sounds busy enough, from what we've been reading here.
Enjoy your evening and look forward to the rest of your tales.
Irene - where's your report  ;) ???

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 06:07:24 PM »
Yes ha ha Babs, your post has just made me laugh too!

Sorry that you have had rain clouds and thunder, but the thought of Fener for breakfast, then the beach and lunch at Kleo, well I could put up with that!  :D :D

We too haven't been to Korsan Meze for dinner and really don't know why because we did check out the menu this year, and it sounded delicious. We did go there for lunch on our first ever day trip to Kalkan and remember having sizzling prawns with garlic bread and it was delicious.

Have a lovely time at Moussaka tonight, another one we haven't been to, but will one day I am sure.  Good luck with the bag shopping, if you want a nice little bag for everyday use, I purchase a small Longchamp bag this year in BSG and it's been everywhere with me since returning home to the UK! They do them in all colours, will definitely be getting another one next year.

Jayne

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 07:03:58 PM »
Hi Lizilu - I have been found out!  - promise to do one next year!  ;D

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 09:42:11 PM »
We will def hold you to that Irene!!

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 10:33:43 PM »
I think you might be there before me!  - no pressure of course :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 07:01:49 AM »
Mussakka lovely as ever......preliminary bag research......will buy numerous Longchamps bags in BSG, already planned as Christmas presents and have my eye on a nice little Mulberry ostrich (?) evening clutch bag......too much unnecessary detail. Off to hire a car for a couple of days as showers forecast but it's jolly hot on our little balcony at the moment! Who knows where the next couple of days will take us?!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 08:41:49 AM »
Just to show that sometimes we do comment on miniscule reports...sounds like an episode of Paddy and Max - 'don't know where we're goin', got no way of knowin', drivin' on the road to nowhere'!!!! I often sing that as we set off on our jolly jaunts around Kalkan. Have fun!!!  :) 8) :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 08:43:37 AM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 09:37:33 AM »
Doesn't matter how miniscule they are, we still love reading them and writing them, don't we girls?  Enjoy exploring in the car Babs, don't forget to report back!  ;D ;D

J

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 09:57:19 AM »
Quality ;D
Can't wait to read all about your trip out in the car - let us know how you get on :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014, 04:10:51 PM »
WARNING.....full holiday report style post coming, please look away now if not interested!  :laugh:
Well today has been all about spontaneity (have I really spelt that right?) did the necessary in the Brave tours office first thing and they had a car ready for us once we had finished breakfast....mind you that took a while! We went to Ada Patisserie, had been there when it was were Asian Garry is now so decided to give it another go. I had a "Quick Breakfast", could do them under trades description as there was no way anyone could eat the chewy but delicious bagel that you dipped in honey quickly! OH had Turkish breakfast, as usual, kept him quiet for a long while.....it was enormous! All the usual ingredients plus, fruit, nuts, honey, yogurt........
Off we went in our bargain hire car, £15 a day, we were waiting for extras to be added but no! Decided to spend some time on Patara Bech while it was beautifully sunny and amazingly while the clouds gathered over the distant mountains the beach stayed sunny all day. Had a lovely walk along the  beach and broke with tradition, turned left as well as right! For habitual planners even we were surprised at our spontaneous decision  :D ;D
Late afternoon, deciding we were looking a little pink, to quote OH " it's dangerous here!" We set off for the ruins....having never been in 10 visits. Nice stroll along "Main Street" I just love ancient stones with carved writing, I find myself tracing the shapes of the letters!
Called into the lovely new bakers near Yali for some baklava, delicious!
Now going to get ready for this evenings exploits, Fish Terrace, a firm favourite and strong contender for a repeat visit on our last night which will be our 35th anniversary! Bag shopping will commence in earnest and have spotted some nice earrings for our oldest.....nothing like a bit of early Christmas shopping in Kalkan?!  :laugh:

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2014, 05:18:25 PM »
We hired from Brave Tours too, picked it up at the airport, £102 for the week all in, amazing price. I always pre record some cd's to listen to & leave them in the car for next hirers to enjoy  ;D. Hope you never traced the engraving on the entrance to the last house on "Main Street" or OH would've been shocked.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

early morning 1

Views: 3236
By: andy4116
harbour3