Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: We made it!!!!!  (Read 9501 times)

Offline maddie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
We made it!!!!!
« on: August 20, 2014, 10:18:57 AM »
OK now where do I start? I am a virgin (poster/blogger that is) and very worried about a) that no one comments on my post and/or b) that no one even bothers to look at it. which is more scary  :-\ ? There are a couple of reasons for venturing into this territory, for years now I have enjoyed reading other peoples reports about our favourite place in the whole world, have chuckled at the funny stories and anecdotes, have followed recommendations and had amazing times, so maybe it is time to come out of the closet. the other reason is I left my travel journal at home to save kilos and I'm missing my daily entries.
my OH and myself are Sandancers ( a clue to where we live) and have been coming to Kalkan for 14 years, sometimes once, sometimes twice,sometimes three times. and like many of you we never return to the same place ;). This is our second trip this year and was on/ off many times before we eventually made it. we have been spoilt with holidays this year so we really couldn't justify another trip,however about 6 weeks ago we saw that a popular airline was advertising flights to Dalaman for 39.99. so one grey Monday morning as I was leaving for work I said to OH "if you have a minute check out those flights". he was on sick leave following an accident he had in Kalkan during our May visit, but that's another story.
anyway OH rings me at work, while I'm dealing with some tricky little year ones, 'yes the flights are there, shall I book them.?' He says. what he failed to say was they were one way lol.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12328.0

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: We made it!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 10:35:28 AM »
Looking forward to reading more.  For example, do you always stay at the same place or try a different hotel/villa/apartment each visit?   Hope you managed to find return flights!   

Let us know if you discover new places to eat which have not been mentioned recently.   I am due in Kalkan in less than three weeks and look forward to eating at old favourites but also to trying somewhere new.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 10:36:48 AM »
that's my kind of flight....one way to Kalkan!
Well I can dream can't I?
Look forward to hearing all about your latest stay :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline maddie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 11:01:06 AM »
£490 pp to return before the start of term :-[ OH well maybe this is fate, early retirement, one way flights are the message we have been waiting for dare we risk going and hope the flights come down while we are there. what would be our plan b). buy a car and drive back. we could fly via Istanbul maybe or get a hydrofoil from Fetihye to Rhodes and fly from there. we were determined to use our ' cheap tickets'.
all the time we were justifying our trip. I promise to only buy one handbag. We tell ourselves that we will 'stay in and cook' a couple of times. just need to go now it's in the head.
the flights continue to rise day by day, I'm convinced its because of the number of times we are checking the site. instead we set up skyscanner alerts and pray.
by the middle of August I have given up and resign myself to a daily visit on Enjoy Kalkan.
going back to one of our reasons for another trip, I mentioned earlier an accident my dear OH had in May. well it involved flip flops and marble steps. we arrived weary in the early hours of the morning at the Sun Elite apts and went straight to bed. in the morning we set out to get the supplies in and as he placed his first foot down, whoosh up in the air and down he clattered onto the steps. oh my god, visions of ambulances, panic set in as he shattered the quiet morning with expletives. absolutely horrendous. he has a dodgy back as it is. hence 6 weeks sick leave. before long he had a bottom like Cheryl Cole, a fellow Geordie.
all we want is one week with no medical emergencies, power cuts, water shortages, earthquakes, tornadoes, flooding, villa breakins, embarrassing drunken stupors, all of which we have experienced while in Kalkan. Why do we keep coming ? Because out of every incident we have only ever encountered wonderful help, support and friendship. battery dead

Offline maddie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 11:35:07 AM »
just discovered how annoying it is when you lose a long post through losing wifi  :'(

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 12:34:55 PM »
A bottom like Cheryl Cole??? :o..i'd be tempted to squeeze it Rose tattoo or not!! ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline maddie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 01:07:49 PM »
yes very peachy but I'm not sure he would approve of the comparison.

Offline maddie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 01:22:53 PM »
yes tortoise lady, we do stay in different places mostly, although we also have favourites we return to. we travelled with Tapestry to begin with, and still have the free towels,!!! Now we prefer to choose our own apt or villa. We have stayed in every corner over the years, from Truffle and Samira in town to Kalamar and as far up the mountain as you can go.
There is always a tiny compromise to make, location, view, etc but our overall favourite is Komurluk, so quiet and the view is amazing.
Anyway the flights, we decided that we would not be held to ransom by TC so had resigned ourselves to ditching them.  (£70 transfer fee)
Then 4 days before we were supposed to fly, I was busy booking a holiday for my son and his girlfriend ( to Kalkan of course) when I thought I would just have a quick look for a flight again and WOW Thomson return DAYTIME flights last 2 seats £135 RETURN. Crumbs didn't know how quick to click. last two seats, a cancellation I think.

Offline baclava

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
    • The Olive Grove
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 02:29:59 PM »
Hi Maddie, thought for a moment you had mistyped your origin and came from my neck of the woods (sandgrounder - frantic googling going on!) but I now see you are from South Shields.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 03:51:43 PM »
So you are there now...? about to go..? I don't think I'm following this properly :-\
You've ditched the one way flights and gone for the Thomson return flights, I'm guessing. Did you find anywhere to stay at such short notice as miiddle of August was only last week.
Am I pre-empting your blog..? Sorry :-[

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 04:00:18 PM »
Hi Maddie,

Fantastic posts.We have an amazing apartment in Komurluik.I have sent a private message to you.

Offline maddie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 05:57:06 PM »
Sorry, yes my posts are a bit all over the place, like me I suppose. I am having trouble with Wi fi and lost a post that would explain a bit more.
we live ins village about 4 miles from SShields, place called East Boldon.
OK back to our flights. We booked on the 13th Aug and our next job was to find an apt. All our usual places were sold out and we had promised ourselves that this trip would be on a 'budget', so quite tricky. Almost got excited when we saw a gap at the 'Komerluk Apts' but unfortunately the calendar hadn't been updated. ( Simon I sent you a reply but I don't think it was successful)
A few enquiries and 2 days later (15th) we booked an apt, blew the budget unfortunately but heck we saved on the flight, and we only have 1 case between us to save £50. so my blog is going to be about our budget trip to Kalkan, do we manage to keep to our plans? Not so far

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 06:09:40 PM »
Hi Maddie,

Our availability calendar is 100 % up to date.As the calendar says,we have one week available this season.........25 August to !st September. The calendar does show that this is available.

Is this any good to you or have you booked elsewhere now...........I think you have !

No I didn't get your PM........just type a subject heading,write your message and press "send message"
Thanks.

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 06:22:11 PM »
So, are you there yet? Jayne and lizilou will be heading home next week so we need someone for them to pass the blogging baton to.....no pressure! As you well know there are lots of cheap places to eat, so you will be just fine!

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 07:19:45 PM »
Hi maddie from another Geordie! We will be returning to SunElite in September.....can't wait.
Which apartment are you in? If you're having internet/wi-issues, from experience I'm guessing not no 4, the detached one. From previous experience there's a spot in the corner just outside No 4's terrace where the signal was pretty good. There used to be a table and chair for internetting convenience.

I'm sure you'll love Sun Elite. They are the only apartments we've returned to. Stayed in No 3 and returning to No 4 as I've said.

Enjoy your hols....

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 07:36:45 PM »
Hi maddie. I'm looking forward to reading your blog in how to do Kalkan on a budget. Maybe I might learn a few lessons from you!  :)

Haybo, please do not remind me that I'm on the downward slope now, or I may just have to forget that webcam wave we keep talking about. Instead you may see another form of gesticulation ha ha  :o  ;D

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 08:48:59 PM »
Yes pw's right we stayed in number 4 two years ago and there was a table and chairs on the corner just outside 4's outside covered seating area. All the youngsters seemed to be there off and on throughout the day as it was the best place for a good signal. Have a great holiday.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 09:07:55 PM »
I don't think Maddie is there yet...! Are you....? Let us know if breaking the budget for your accommodation is worth it too :laugh:
You have been coming to Kalkan for so long you will know how to holiday on a budget but it would be great to hear how you get on.

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 10:15:48 PM »
Lizilu, please accept my humble apologies...i meant my post as words of encouragement for maddie rather than sticking the knife in........  Looking forward to tomorrows instalment!

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 08:31:13 AM »
Maddie ,  love the posts but  I still cannot figure out when you are arriving in Kalkan and fro how long 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
IT MADE MY SATURDAY.

Started by Chris18648 on The Everything Else Area!

10 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 04:51:39 PM
by alantj
xx
Made to measure

Started by Blue wave on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

0 Replies
Last post August 04, 2012, 10:49:10 PM
by Blue wave
recycled
Hand made shoes and boots

Started by RaynJudi on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

0 Replies
Last post March 10, 2008, 06:40:55 PM
by RaynJudi
xx
TAILOR - MADE TRIP TO HISTORIC SITES

Started by Alfaman on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

2 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 09:06:31 PM
by itstime

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Eagles Nest

Views: 4872
By: alisonh
Samira Deluxe