Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Watch out, watch out, there's a Haybo about!  (Read 27200 times)

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Watch out, watch out, there's a Haybo about!
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2015, 06:24:24 PM »
Haybo......I really hope that you enjoy your last week  and really pleased that the wallet was returned. Would this have happened anywhere but Kalkan??

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2015, 06:34:27 AM »
So, after having sent T on his way,and having had "lunch" at about 17:00, we didn't really need dinner, but decided to wander into town for a mooch.

On thw way down we finally booked a table at Chillis! We have passed that place nearly every night for 3 weeks so we took his breath away by booking a table!   As we walked towards the taxi rank, there was a guy outside one of the bars all done up like a one man band......he decided it was a great idea to follow me singing i cant get no satisfaction! Nasty!

Dave took himself into Eddies barbers for a tiidy up whilst Matthew and I relaxed in Merkez doing some people watching.  Even tho we were reunited with the wallet, we did a bit of wallet shopping then ended up inmour new favourite haunt...cafe del mar for iced coffees.  The guy in there who's name escapes me is really lovely.  I had an iced coffee baileys and i strongly dispute whether there was any coffee init...just icecream and baileys...no complaints from me!

We then booked a table for the restaurant upstairs which wa the ivy but is now part of cafe del mar.  We have had a 2 week "joke" running with the greeter there because on one of our first days we were chatting and he asked my name.... A bit later on he called me Jenny which caused huge hilarity because that was the name od Daves first wife! Ever since then there was been huge cries of "hayleeeeeey" whenever we passed or visited the cafe!

We then got totally busted going for a taxi by Bob&Jayne and Lizilu&Automan who were eating in the Marina.  Quick chat with them, then home for us!

saturday was supposed to be a beach club, but M didn't fancy it so we stayed at the apt and joined the crazy crew for dinner at Kaya...lovely meal and Kadir was amazing with his magic.  Even if you study his hands and movements you cant see how he does it!   Mass magnum shop by all of us at Yali on the way home.

Sunday it was my turn to feel a bit off my game so Dave headed i to town to watch the Moto GP at Yali bar and M and I chilled out until we went down to see him at about 14:30 for the last race....town was quiet.  Bit of bag shopping in bsg...not buying just looking and then home for some pool time before dinner at Cafe Del Mar.  The roof terrace is lovely.  We had a lovely meal at a ressonable price, then went downe to Fener for ice cream.  They wer in a bit of a crisis as their dishwasher was broken so we got an icecream and a banana split dlivered 25 minutes before the 3rd dessert! We tried to cancel it but it came anyway and then insisted on not charging for it even tho we ate it! Another lovely day in Kalkan! 5 to go!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2015, 05:14:26 PM »
oh just catching up with your blog Haybo...what a nightmare losing a phone and a wallet :( It all ended well thankfully, but not before you've gone through the bother of cancelling cards - and of course now you are without them for the rest of your holiday. Bit weird that they were found in different places but can only assume he dropped the wallet when he took Bob and Jayne home..? Anyway, I think he needs a little man bag to stash his stuff in future...Nuri has some lovely Mulberry Messengers. Or perhaps he pops things in your bag, like my BH does...!
Enjoy your last 5 days...they're sure going to go at a pace.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline BeyazGül Apt.

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2015, 08:21:29 PM »
If you eat in Chillis the owner is the same family as DoyDoy owners(upper road above the harbour) you can get a 10% discount card off your next meal at DoyDoy.

Stuart.
Owners Direct property ref. 8161882
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 08:25:35 PM by Beyas Gül »

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2015, 06:15:48 AM »
Just catching up too Haybo on EK, people watching at Merkez, you know I haven't even done that this year, and I love it down there, will definitely put that on my list of to do things! Sunset 3 soon, you never know we may even get to go Kapatas way, left instead of right, that's where they all were going yesterday, apparently the wind was in the right direction!

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2015, 09:11:08 PM »
Iced coffees with baileys and Feners ice cream….yummy ..you are talking my language Haybo  :) :)

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2015, 09:41:21 PM »
Haybo.......we experienced the same challenge last year. Every night we would walk past Chillies and he always gave us a friendly greeting......we eventually decided to eat there and his face was a picture!! I can't say that it was the best dining experience but the staff were very friendly. I can't wait to be back in Kalkan on Monday and looking forward to some serious rest and relaxation. It has been raining all day today and already feeling like autumn.

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2015, 05:53:25 AM »
Spent Monday chilling by the pool....again! Well its the same glorious sunshine whether you are gadding about in a jeep, sailing the Med, or lounging at a beach club!  It was quiet around the Emir pool as some of the families with younger kids went out. 

We pulled ourselves together in time to go to Chillis.  I must admit I was pleasantly surprised! I had stuffed sea bass and it was delicious....makes it into my top 3 meals Of this trip I think! M had swordfish as he has always wanted that and D had food envy cos our meals looked nicer than his!

We then ambled down into town and took D into the shop that sells Turkish leather products...Need? Having temporarily parted company with his wallet, we had discussed getting a new one, so the time seemed right.  He was very pleased with his new purchase! We bumped into automan and the girls outside who were looking for Lizilu.  Without hesitation I volunteered to Go into BSG to see if she was in there! Of course she was! I believe she left empty handed, where I n the other hand left with 2 longchamps (gifts) a mulberry phone case and a large mulberry bayswater! Oops!

Weighted down with purchases we struggled down to Cafe del Mar for iced coffees, then a quick pop into the supermarket on the harbour to get milk and finally found bottled Sprite! We needed to replace a bottle in our drinks box in the apt so that was a relief.

Big plans to go to Chillis for breakfast before our boat trip with the crazy crew on Tuesday but in a bizarre turn if events I didn't wake up until 8!

A day on Sunset 3 for us.....its a pretty big boat and had about 30 passengers...we had a good day,but I think I prefer a smaller group.  We almost got to go to Kaputas...we had definitely turned left out if the bay, but then the Captain decided it was too choppy.  Maybe next time!   The boys got to do some fishing from the back of the boat, but to no avail!

After saying Ore goodbyes, we then said our hellos as we all regrouped at the taxi rank! A couple OD sugared taxis up the hill and it was time to drop into the pool and chat with other groups that had been in boat trips...we had seen them at various stops!

Dinner was at Akin....very nice.  I had Priest Fainted which is an aubergine dish, M had seafood spaget ti and D has Akin Special which he said was wonderful.  We had a dodgy start though....we were sitting waiting for our dinner chatting and sipping drinks, when D suddenly heaved and was up over the railings spitting stuff out.  It seems a bug had landed in his drink and he hadn't seen it. It got in his mouth and he bit it! He was coughing and heaving and spitting out water but went of to the loos as it was a bit offputting for other diners!
I don't think there have been any ill effects thank goodness.  M was falling asleep at the table so we were back home by 22:30!

2 more full days and then going home day!

Fortunately we can retain our apt until we leave so that helps a lot....we can be in the pool until 15 minutes before we leave!

Suspect we will have a quiet day today then Kalkan beach park tommorrow.  Yelkin Bistro for tea tonight then Chateaubriand at Alternatif on our last night! Awesome

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2015, 08:55:36 AM »
Poor D and the bug  :o I'd have been right there with him over that balcony! Just tell him it's a trial for your next holiday that your thinking of trying - in the outback  ??? ;D

Lovely day with you yesterday on the high seas.  :-*

Offline macrefield mom

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2015, 09:35:17 AM »
Haybo do you mind if I ask how much you paid for your Bayswater bag? My niece has asked me to get her one when I come out.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2015, 10:02:29 AM »
Hopefully the bug didn't drink too much of his beer before it got bit!! >:D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2015, 12:14:25 PM »
Poor bug..........I hope he did drink lots of beer.....as it would help deaden the pain when it was bitten in to

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2015, 07:17:19 PM »
Now that's how to increase your protein intake. Bear Grylls .......eat your heart out!! D sounds as though he could easily tackle 'I'm a celebrity....get me out of here'.

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2015, 08:51:59 PM »
D is quite the tough guy...he had a heart attack whilst walking through Euston staion, but just kept going......24 hrs on he can't even discuss the bug eating without retching! He has not been well since so we have been to the pharmacy! Flying in 48 hrs!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2015, 08:24:30 AM »
Haybo I do hope Dave is feeling better for your flight this evening, looking forward to seeing you later for brunch  :D

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2015, 07:19:41 AM »
Well, we are not sure what the bug was, or indeed whether it had anything to do with it at all, but in the middle if the night on Tues/wed, Dave "took poorly" ...is that right Lizzie?

He had terrible tummy cramps...you can guess the rest and was sooooo tired, so beach club was off the agenda for Wednesday.  We stayed around the pool enjoying the warm sunshine.  Dave rallied a bit around dinner time as we had a booking at Yelkin Bistro.  Our kind neighbour offered us a lift over there which was well received!

Dave decided it was "in for a penny, in for a pound" and that he would eat.  We all had the NumNum burgers and they were delicious.  For dessert I had the Meltdown which is vanilla and caramel icecream in a martini glass with an espresso, Tia maria and baileys poured over the top.....nice!

Dave started to look a bit rough again so we headed home via the pharmacy where they loaded him up with the necessary pills to sort him out!

Sadly Thursday still didn't get us to the beach club as staying nearer our own facilities was the preferred option, so it was sunbathing and general mucking about fir us.  I myself had a funny turn around lunchtime and just started to shiver and shake...i think it was a blood sugar thing.  We decided it would be a good idea to have lunch, so Dave went and got a small take out from Hunkar...donner meat, chicken shish and salad......they should prescribe that on the NHS in my opinion!

We spent a bit of time packing just so there wasn't that rush and panic on  Friday.

Excitement was high for dinner on Thursday night as Mustafa at Alternatif had invited us in for Chateaubriand.  We headed into town early so we could do some last minute shopping.  I bought a calendar in Ceme's shop and he signed a cookbook for us, then D went tomsee Eddie the barber whilst M and I got some Turkish delight and enjoyed a drink in Merkez.  It was very clammy in town!

Freshly barbered, we headed down to Alternatif for the treat of the trip.  Mustafa did not let us down.  The meat was FAB U LOUS.  They don't have this on the menu, but he wants to offer it.  We got caramelised onions, onion rings, salad, chips, rice and veggies, plus 3 sauces to go with.  I won't say how much he charged, but it was ridiculously low!   Go to Mustafa's fscebook page and you will see it!

From there we headed down to Cafe del Mar to say good by to Sarcat(?).  This became our fave hang out and he looked after us fabulously.  Taxi back to the ranch for us.  Just as we walked into the apt, i got a message from  the Gang saying ..we're in Black and Gold...but we were done in.

Dave was still not well so I arranged to meet the Gang in Chillis for brunch.  He decided to join us in the end but stuck to cay!  I agree with Lizzie completely on the standard of breakfast.  It was wonderful.  So sorry to hear that Mr Happy has been injured in an accident...we sere praying for a quick recovery.

From there we headed home to finish the packing and get in the pool to chat with our new friends.  We decided to hit Ata Okabasi for one final time for tea, getting back to the apartment at 6 for a 6:30 pick up and our driver was already there! Quick dash for us to change and pull ourselves together and leave.....big hugs and waves, facebook swaps etc and we were on our way home.....in 9 short hours, we would be tucked up in our beds.....or would we???????

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2015, 08:26:21 AM »
Sorry. Had to,pause to get another coffee and put the washer on!

Where were we, right , we left Emir at about 18:10 and waved frantically at the boats heading out of the harbour as the gang were on board Yildiz2 Egor their moonlight cruise...keep your eyes on your phone and wallet!

Reasonably uneventful trip to the airport, but when we drove up the ramp to departures at Dalaman, the queue to get into the terminal stretched outside and the full length of the building! I wandered off to join the back of the queue whilst the boys got the bags and tipped the driver.  They were ages but eventually m came and pulled me out of the line.  D had Left his cap in the car, so the driver had come back and directed D to a different queue that was really short.  When i got to it there was a bit of argy bargy going on about queue jumping, but it all seemed to sort itself out. 

Once in the terminal and through check In and d passport control, we decided to head straight to the gate rather than the food hall.  We were due to leave at 22:25 but we didn,t start to board until that time so we were already late!   The Capt said they were late in because the plane had been late getting to East Mids and it was the knock on effect.

We eventually pushed back fro. The stand at about 23:00.  The we stopped.  Same passengers had reported smelling fuel coming through the pitifully air con system so they needed to investigate.  Istarted to feel ill so needed the loo urgently! Th st sorted, we ended up sitting on the tarmac with virtually no aircon for 2.5 hrs.  Promises that the problem was fixed were untrue.  Eventually some parents with small children went up to ghee front to have it out will the Capt and he eventually agreed to get us off.  I guess that costs the airline money so they were happy to leave us to cook.

They took us off the plane at 01:00 and arranged a drink for everyone, then a sarnie and some crisps.  At 02:40 they cave us all a letter to say there was a delay! Never!   By his fume there were people asleep on the floor, benches etc.  some of the parents were still agitated and a coulee of the dads got past the security and went back down to the plane to have it out with the Capt.  Needless to say they found themselves excluded from the flight Sand their passports were confiscated.  That went well to improving the atmosphere!

At around 03:00 there was an announcement that the flight was cancelled and we were being taken to a hotel.  Then nothing more was said until we were given a letter that was very carefully and legally worded That seemed to say that if we Ches not to go to the hotel we were no longer Jet2.com responsibility and that we would be responsible for our own costs and flight home.  The plan was to bus us all to a hotel an hour away then return to airport at 10am.  All seemed a bit pointless, but what can you do in those circumstances?  A lady who was travelling alone decided we looked  like a safe bet and attached herself to us! 

A while later we were instructed To go and collect our baggage.  If we didn't it would be sent to lost property! So off we trooped only To find we had to go through the arrivals process again.  2 booths were opened ...we don't feel like we were being treated particularly well.  Bags located,outside to queue for buses to an unknown destination.  By now it was gone 0500.

The buses were well dodgy..with little to no aircon, but off we trundled.  3 buses went to Majesty tuana resort in Fethiye.....we got there at 06:20 and had to queue for room allocations.  Our room wasn't too bad compared to others we heard about, but we just wanted to sleep! Air con on, we got undressed and D had this angry red rash all over his left calf..it looked like cellulitis to me, so off the went to see the hotel doctor, coming back at 07:15 having had an anti biotic injection. 

We had to be back in reception for 10 to find our what was going on but super sleuth Bob had already texted us to say we were due to depart Dalaman at 16:00!

The news from Jet 2 was that we were scheduled to fly at 16:30 but the hotel wanted us put by 12.  They would pick us up at 13:00.  that left us about an hour and a half to get breakfast...it was a massive buffet service...we knew it had started at 07:00 so were very picky about what we had!
We left e hotel at 13:00...on the same shabby bus...it could barely make the hills towards Dalaman.
Thankfully the airport was quiet, but there was a near riot when they said you couldn't take though liquid duty free items you had bought the night before unless it was in hold luggage...then tried to charge for overweight bags!

They provided us with a sarnie lunch again and after a gate change last minute we were queueing AGAIN to board the flight.  But then we heard that the cabin crew were 't on board, then the Capt was no where to be seen.  We eventually boarded and left over an hour late as we missed our slot! Another hour plus sitting with limited  air con. 

Complimentary soft drinks served on board.  Finally back to UK for about 19:40 with just the 19 hr delay.  When we got off the plane the Jet2 Gounod staff had no idea what had happened as there had been no internal comms.  Their own website said we had landed T 00:20 that morning!

I suspect the Jet 2 customer service mailbox is filling up as we speak!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2015, 09:22:31 AM »
Oh haybo what a rotten end to your holiday. Glad you eventually made it home but what a nightmare you had.  :(  :-*

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2015, 09:49:47 AM »
Poor you what a horrible end to your holiday. Take care. Thank you so much for the fab posts. Hope you all recover soon both from the illnesses and the nightmare of a journey home.

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2015, 11:15:30 AM »
What a disaster! Glad you're home safe now. Hope D is improving and that you don't still feel iffy. Loved sharing your holiday! Ros x

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Watch Repair

Started by kalkan4eva on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 11:06:39 AM
by Blue Lizard
xx
fake watch. help please

Started by helzbelzz on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

23 Replies
Last post August 11, 2012, 11:09:10 AM
by Cuddles
xx
Efes watch

Started by pw on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post March 19, 2011, 04:00:04 PM
by pw
xx
Another scam to watch out for

Started by onelove on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post November 23, 2016, 09:42:22 AM
by tortoise lady

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Sunset over Kalkan

Views: 4057
By: alisonh
Infinity and beyond!