Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: two weeks, too many memories  (Read 3985 times)

Offline Baggy

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
two weeks, too many memories
« on: October 19, 2010, 11:32:28 AM »
we've been back just over a week now so it's time to record another great fortnight in Kalkan.

We arrived on September 25 - does anything beat the feeling as that wall of heat hits you as you step off the plane at Dalaman?
I even managed to get a smile out of the guy taking the tenners at visa control - or it could have been wind as there was a strong whiff of garlic about him . . .
Anyway, Hassan was there to meet us and waft us off to paradise via all those landmarks we have been thinking about for months - the 'Norwich City' mosque (green and yellow . . . very striking), the street of a thousand petrol stations, the tunnel, 'Dog Roundabout' just outside Fethiye . . . always dogs on it, dunno why.
First night had been planned for some time . . . minty lamb chops at Zulas after an Efes at Ali Baba's (the one next to Kaya with the rooftop terrace, not the one further down the hill) another Efes at the Yali bar, another Efes at . . . you get the picture. Nothing goes down quite like the first Efes of the holiday.
Dinner was superb and we had a nightcap at the Ottoman House before the looong walk up the hill.
It took a couple of days of willing enthusiasm before we just gave in and went for the taxi option.
Cards on the table - we are creatures of habit and tend to slide into weasel mode when on holiday. The first four days were spent on the balcony with long stretches of inertia broken up only by a quick dip in the pool . . . we rented the same apartment as last year and, once again, apart from the Turkish family downstairs we were the only residents so we had the whole pool to ourselves. Bliss.
We slipped quickly into a routine in the evenings, an Efes or two on the way down . . . Ali Babas, Yali, Cinar or Atlantis usually. Dinner and then a nightcap in town.
We also fuss and 'name' the dogs; collect the swizzle sticks from cocktails and G & Ts (This year's tally was 21 . . . not a bad haul) and play 'spot the inappropriate shoes' - actually that's just me, but it keeps me happy.
Second night dinner was at Iso's Kitchen, which I was determined to try after liking the look of it last year but not having any cash on us - they don't take cards. We weren't disappointed - don't be too hungry if you have the casseroles, though. Not sure what they use as an accelerant but the flames take a mighty long time to douse before you can get your chops round the octopus.
I'll do a restaurant review elsewhere but as a rough guide our favourite spots to eat are Sofra, Saffron, Ali Babas, Ak Deniz and Fez. I would have said Kosk last year but the service was a bit over attentive this year and anywhere that pipes mash in interesting patterns around your steak is a touch suspect in my book.
A trip to the market on Thursday netted some of the usual tat and twaddle - a couple of pashminas, pepper grinders, an uninvited shower of lemon cologne. Among the calls of 'Cheap as chips' and 'Turkish Primark' I particularly love the chap who yells 'just having a looook' in an impeccable Lancashire accent.
Pancakes at Ali Babas - I could watch her making them for hours . ..  it's a real skill - and we were just about ready for an afternoon on the balcony. well, you have to pace yourself.
Friday was the long awaited boat trip and - luckily, after a couple of cloudy days - it was bright and sunny. The sea was a bit choppy, though, so we stayed nearer to the shore than on other trips, visiting some of the beaches including one with mud . . . Not sure about ten years younger but my skin still feels softer than it did before. Creme de Mer? Pah!
I am about to contradict myself  a bit here, but bear with me . . . we noticed this year that the town seems to have got a bit brasher, a bit noisier and a bit more Sky Sports and Full English. Our Turkish friends commented that in the summer they had more 'football shirts, tattoos and drunks' than ever before.
Someone mentioned a couple of the defunct travel companies had palmed their disappointed guests off with Kalkan rather than some of the more party locations and that some of the bars had adjusted accordingly. Let's hope they don't decide to come back and things can get back to normal.
Anyhoo - the contradiction. Having whinged about Sky Sports we spent early Saturday evening at the Yali Bar watching the scores and the last half of the live match. The OH is very good about missing footy for holidays but the itch sometimes has to be scratched. We did also take in the Turkey/Germany match which made for some enthusiastic cheering and beers by way of commiseration.
After a busy (sorry, spelling, that should be boozy, I think) weekend we spent Monday at Patara beach - a day which turned into a bit of a drama . . . OH wears a ring on his little finger. Usually he takes it off in the sea but - you're ahead of me here, aren't you?
Half an hour before the Dolmus was going back we had a last dip  . . . and the ring disappeared.
We dived, we dug, we panicked, we yelled . . . he was determined to go back the next day and find it; I reasoned that it was halfway to Africa already. We sat as far apart as possible on the packed Dolmus (three in the boot, really, one was sitting on a cool box. . .) and walked back up the hill bickering about the merits of going back to find it . . . then . . . CLINK!
The blessed thing only fell out of his shorts . . .  the reasoning was (look away now if you're of a sensitive disposition) that he may have had a bit of a scratch and it came off in the under shorts. All that diving and patting and shaking failed to dislodge it and if it had fallen out in the sand or on the busy bus we'd never have found it. I think we may need to dedicate a mosque or something now, but it was a very happy ending. Time for a celebratory Efes!
A trip to Meis on Wednesday was a real treat. We made sure we went on Wednesday so we could watch the big ferry come in. The first time we saw it we joked about it coming into the tiny harbour . . . quite a spectacle.
If you haven't been, do go. It's a lovely little harbour with some very nice restaurants and bars, a fascinating history and a really super way to spend a day.
Our last two days were spent catching up and saying bye to some old and new friends. Time flies so quicky. One minute two weeks is stretching in front of you, the next it's time to go.
Before we flew out we were debating whether we would come back for a year or two.
By the time we flew back we were planning the next trip.
It's funny like that isn't it? Must be something in the Efes . . .

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6586.0

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
Re: two weeks, too many memories
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
Baggy, a fantastic post - thanks!

Tell you what, that ring is really something. I would hang it round my neck, from now on!!

And I thought your final comment about something being in the Efes was really funny.

I enjoyed every word. Brilliant!

Antler

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 11:47:11 AM »
Dear Antler and Baggy
Between the two of you, what a joy to be on this site and read your reports.  These will keep us all going thro' the dark and chilly months ahead, with all our lovely memories of Kalkan to keep us warm and cosy.  Many thanks to both of you :) :) :)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 11:52:40 AM »
Hey, maryjane!  From my side, it was a pleasure - it kept the brain in  gear! And with such positive feedback from yourself and others just keeps it going. Thanks for the complement.

Take care,

Antler

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 12:30:03 PM »
Thank you!  Would like to think I could write a constructive account of our hols - but what with Efes/Angora/hot sun/great food, most brain cells have gone West (or should it be East).   Did meet a lovely hedgehog - did not say much, just grunted!  The hedgehog, not me! We were trying to find our villa (during powercut on our first night), eventually found it at 3.45 a.m. Deep joy ;D ;D ;D   

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 12:30:37 PM »
Great report made me laugh out loud at the 'ring' incident ! People at work are looking at me a bit strange now  :o .

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 02:59:58 PM »
Great report, Baggy.
Loved the story about the ring - see what happens when you "adjust" yourselves "down there" boys :) it very nearly ended in tears!! I could really relate to the bickering and the sitting apart on the dolmus, that made me laugh...and there's definitely something in Kalkan's efes that makes you want to return time after time.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 03:35:54 PM »
Yes!! nice report....we have a Dalaman Landmark.."birdie mosque"..with Pelicans on the roof!

maybe it was a pinkie ring? :angel:
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline fitwenchdidyell

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 03:53:14 PM »
Trust you BL!!!  ;D

Great report Baggy - I love the detail as it brings it all back so vividly

My pic of the Wednesday ferry in Meis is in the Kalkan Gallery - it's jaw dropping to see isn't it??
(search for Meis by fitwenchdidyell should find it)
Born To Run - the Boss rules!!

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 04:28:16 PM »
Hi Baggy - great report, lots of detail which brings it all rushing back!! -  The chap you referred to on the Thursday market also visits the Kas market, and we had some banter with him as we remembered him for previous years - he normally says "just having a looook  mate" and when we joked with him that he had left off the "mate" bit he took fits laughing and continued to shout it out to us as we proceeded through the market - it was so funny - (or perhaps you had to be there!) - either way,  the Turkish people have such a fantastic sense of humour - thanks again

Offline DeeDee

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 05:41:35 PM »
Hi Baggy
We left Kalkan the day you arrived and during our 2 weeks there, we noticed how much noisier it was than in previous visits. Luckily, the only drunkards we saw were on 2 consecutive (early) evenings when to our amusement, 2 elderly Turkish gentlemen staggered & weaved past the Moonlight bar towards the PTT, arms wrapped around each other to stay upright and singing what sounded like a Turkish sea shanty. The very next evening, they were weaving down the hill towards the Alternatif restaurant. Obviously one hell of a session!!

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 08:16:25 PM »
Great report Baggy! We used to sit in The Moonlight bar and watch for the 'innapproriate' shoes!!!
The recent reports are keeping me going till next June when we get back out there!!
Nicky

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Memories of Efes

Started by Bob & Jayne on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

1 Replies
Last post October 28, 2011, 07:12:00 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Memories of my first visit to kalkan

Started by kris kadin on Holiday Reports and Reviews

3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2010, 02:04:14 PM
by lorilou
smiley
Favourite Kalkan Memories

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post September 14, 2019, 03:40:06 PM
by cathlvskalkan
xx
Our Kalkan memories will not be stolen from us!

Started by BearsdenTony on Holiday Reports and Reviews

33 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 03:55:53 PM
by onelove

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal