Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Two Go Mad in Kalkan  (Read 7951 times)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Two Go Mad in Kalkan
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2017, 07:57:00 PM »
How funny that in just a couple of weeks the weather can change so much. Pashminas and umbrella's for you then just a wee while later we are on a heatwave. Sounds like our weather at home  ;D

Thanks for taking the time to post Chris_S. Sounds like you had a fab holiday.   8)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2017, 03:34:18 PM »
Previously on “Two Go Mad in Kalkan”:

Drinking, sitting around, eating, undertaking rehearsals for the Dakar Rally(!), talking, drinking, eating, reading, drinking…  ordering new spectacles, boat trip.

Thought I’d satirise TV series – for a change.

Today is a bit ‘Morning after the Night before’, but without any hangovers (those that do, know who you are).  Not fragile but jaded and weary.  This is down to the intense activity, endurance and physical effort of not doing much.  It is, though time for a visit to Barbaros and collect the new spectacles (hopefully).  We offer up various sacrifices to various Gods in a plea to favour us without the presence of people in there who don’t really know what they want.

Before that, we have arranged a short chat over coffee (or something) at the Old Town Café with TC of KTLN (aka John Fed.).  This is somewhere we’ve never actually been before (I know, I know), but there we go, or are, catching up since last year and enabling him to connect the face with the ID on the site again.  This is where we learn about the reputation for cake that the café has.  This has been previously discovered on EK, so I don’t need to go into details.  We are, alas, not cake people, really.  Especially not at this time of the day (between a late breakfast and lunch).  But each to their own.

Time for Göz, and we are fortunate - The Gods have listened and answered.  There is an empty shop.  Hurrah!

Consequently, we are turned round in Barbaros’ efficient fashion, the spectacles revealing that the 1-dioptre long sightedness I have now (compared to 8/11 dioptre short-sightedness before the surgery) is now crystal clear with the additional correction.

Yippee!  We pay, blag some small extras out of Barbaros, and decide to celebrate with some active physical exertion over some drinks in Salt & Pepper.  You will note that this is going miles out of our way and involves walking about 25 metres.

Here we dawdle, sip the local Pilsner (reinforcing the mantra that ‘rehydration is important’ – in case you’d forgotten), or watching it evaporate, the jury is still out on that one.  Eventually, in typical Kalkan/Turkish fashion, the late morning beverage is turning into a post midday lunch.  In for a penny, in for a pound then, primarily because we can’t be bothered to move.
Having had more than our fill of fish in the last few days, and needing a change to re-align the brain and stomach, we choose two typically Turkish meals.  Spaghetti Bolognese and a Mushroom Omelette.

You really know these are Turkish dishes, the Mushrooms and Eggs are both indigenous to the region and we all know Bologna is a small village just south of Ankara.

As if!

The sun has done its job and the hop-based liquid has disappeared and is replaced by some further fluid originating from grapes.  The same physical result – it disappears.  Cost 105TL.

At the very least the new reading glasses have been tested, and the Transitions work (always, always have prescription reading glasses with Transitions – a boon when reading by the pool!).

Further testing is undertaken by the hotel pool, before the evening expedition.

This is an uphill trek towards Kalamar, for we are dining at the Yelken Bistro tonight.  We could, of course walk.  But it’s tonight it’s booked for, not tomorrow when we would arrive if pedestrianising, and we have no plans to set up base camp at Café Vita or the Brothers before the final climb to the summit.  It’ll be a taxi.

It’s a bit quieter up there than usual.  Most noticeably by the reduction in traffic en-route to Kalamar Bay.  Sitting outside by the road you tend to notice these things.  The taxis come and go, just not so many.  The Police go down to the bay and don’t come back – which is unusual, since they seem to normally do a tour and return.  Maybe they’re enjoying the view (or nabbing burglars?).  The Yelken seems to have upgraded their pitch on the opposite side of the road, laid out with tablecloths and candles.  Maybe we’ll try that sometime.

Food-wise, we share the fishcakes (for a change), very nice, and the mains are a Lamb Shank and Sultan Köfte.  The Lamb Shank was tasty, with a mushroom and cream sauce – unusual, but it worked.  The Köfte were of a nice texture, but somehow a little bit dry and bland.  This is unusual for Yelken, and we decide to give them the benefit of the doubt and put it down to a one-off, or maybe us, as it wasn’t actually wrong or bad.  Some Dikmen Red (quite a bit actually) assists the non-driver, while in a perverse sort of way, the driver is looking forward to the transportation being returned the following day, for reasons you can well imagine.  Anyway, this lot cost 180.60TL.

We do like the Yelken.  It’s smart without being overly pretentious.  The burgers are (we assume) still very good – we shall check them out on another occasion.  It’s not chaotically busy, and the staff are, well, just nice.

And so to the fire-watching at the Hotel.  The air-raid precautions are still in place as the anti-aircraft batteries scan the sky with their lights.  Somewhere behind them are stars, I believe.  Perhaps this light pollution, by some Star Trek related energy transfer, is making the wine and beer evaporate?  Maybe I should apply for a research Grant!  Meanwhile we sit around and discuss the ills of the world, and arriving at solutions quicker than any democratically elected body ever has.  Whether the solutions are workable, is another question.
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2017, 08:24:58 PM »
Another enjoyable read Chris_S. we're back in  England now and hopefully planning another visit in September.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2017, 11:45:13 AM »
Well, another day, and, as usual the sun shines, and we have to decide what to do.  Could this be the day where we actually revert to lazy (or is that lazier) holiday mode and do nothing more than stay in the hotel for the most part, at least).

This concept is aided by the Mercedes Limousine being returned to its rightful owner, so the pluses and minuses come into play.  Increased use of taxis, and increased consumption of alcoholic beverages by the former driver.  All with within reasonable limits, of course.

So there we are, relaxed by the pool.  Newspapers being read (digitally) and novels being read (again, digitally).  That is unless distracted by rehydration.

The only thing that detracts from this idyllic image is that the tablet, like most, is absolutely rubbish in sunshine, so has to be read in the shade of the bar.  This is of course distracting, but resolve being what it is, resistance is not futile.  When completed, the Kindle can come out (which, because it uses e-Paper works best in strong light).  I shan’t bother you with the choice of reading material – we all have our likes and dislikes.  What I can say is that there is nothing about girls on trains, various shades of monochrome or for that matter, anything that makes you fall asleep on page 4. 

Lunch is at the hotel, and we just do the Spag. Bol. And omelette bit, washed down with a drop of dry white.  It’s too easy to get carried away here, we recall one guest who always chose a Pizza at lunchtime and then complained he didn’t feel hungry come evening.  Duh!

Now what can you do, when the sun is shining, your sufficiently replete with a sensibly sized lunch, and just enough alcohol so that you don’t start emulating a thermometer in the heat?

That’s right.  Nothing.  So we just did the non-active, non-driven for action, switch off and care for as little as possible.

And so to eventide.  Time to visit Adem’s (as in the Kaş Road) brother, otherwise known as Rami’s Smyrna these days.  Now we had a nice meal here last September, and the one this June didn’t fail.

It’s not an enormous place, what I would call manageable.  The service is attentive, and Rami keeps an eye on things. So, starting with a Bloody Mary and a Bombay and tonic, we choose from the menu.  Just for a change, we’ll share the Calamari(!), giving a score of 9.2; and for mains we have a Prawn Casserole and a Mediterranean Steak.  As I didn’t have the prawns, I can only report that these were reported as excellent and would be chosen again.  I’ve been good (I think) by not having steaks all the time, but sometimes the temptation is too much.  Once again cooked as requested, and excellent, this ticked another box in the ‘must come next time’ category.  This was washed down with a bottle of Majestyk Red, which was given no opportunity to evaporate.  Cost 200TL

We then ended up, post main course having a couple of long conversations with the boss.  This was, a) interesting; b) entertaining; and c) relationship forming.  Without going into long and tedious recounting of the myriad of subjects, you will, or will not, be interested to know that his niece’s wedding in October (see previous posts regarding days 3 or 4) will take several days and have around a thousand (yes – that’s what he said) attendees.  No wonder Adem looks strained when we saw him!  Rami didn’t seem impressed with the concept, I got the feeling he thought it was all a bit over the top.  But then I suppose it’s equivalent to some of the daft extravagance that wedding promoters/organisers in the UK promote, with ridiculous overcharging for anything associated with a wedding.  Tradition has its benefits, but can also have a downside, as can the marketing hype we see in the UK.  I just hope that it all goes off without a hitch and Adem can then get down to saving up for the next one (daughter No.2 will be next in line – we shall see when; and then there’s No.3…).  All in all, this was a sensible and useful exchange of events, opinions (yes, politics raised their head – we won’t dwell on that here) and the current state of businesses in Kalkan.  Rami’s moved around a lot over the years, principally down to landlords charging excessive rents – seems to be a bit of a common theme, I suspect.

All this gabbing also benefitted us with a couple of extra (free) glasses of Majestyk.  These too did not survive the ravages of the temperatures, but probably added to the fluidity not just of us, but the conversation.

Up or down is the next question.  Rami’s is in one of those locations where you have to consider whether the relatively less difficult walk up past BSG etc. is an acceptable alternative to going down to the Pirat.  We elect, probably erroneously, to go up.  This may, partly, be to withdrawal from BSG.  We haven’t ventured in yet.  Amazing!  And so that achievement was undone.  At least this time any purchases were commission led.  Not financially, but request.  Bag selected.  Insufficient funds on hand.  Pay me later.  What makes you thing Erhan knows us (and several million others?).

Now feeling like proper Kalkanites, with the required, de facto BSG bag, we plod our way to the taxi, and back to the hotel.

And more wine.  And more chat.  And more solutions to problems no-one has heard of.  Tin hats not yet required, and no calls to ‘turn that light out’ from a passing ARP Warden as those bloody lights arc above us.  Wish they’d have an ARP Warden to tell those bars the same thing.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
First time to Kalkan - Family of 3 - recommended restaurants in Kalkan please??

Started by Harrogate_female on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 01:48:16 PM
by howmad
xx
Transfer to Dalaman from Kalkan 24/10/2009 / return Dalaman to Kalkan 9/11

Started by Buster on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 11:23:26 AM
by Buster
recycled
new to kalkan

Started by pippa on General Discussion

16 Replies
Last post July 09, 2008, 02:51:22 PM
by pippa
xx
Is there somewhere else like kalkan

Started by woody on Other Resorts

17 Replies
Last post July 22, 2009, 03:56:02 PM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal