Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Trip report 1-8 Sept  (Read 4763 times)

Offline LizS

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Trip report 1-8 Sept
« on: September 11, 2008, 02:36:48 PM »
As requested (and always intended) here''s my report on a week in Kalkan between 1 and 8 September.

Party of six – three couples, all in our 30s/40s.

We flew with XL.com and took the 720 flight out of Gatwick which all went off without a hitch. Arrived in Dalaman bang on time, the visa/passport queues were non existent so we were very quickly through and into baggage collection, which again was very efficient. Our transfer was with Enes and I recommend them highly – lovely comfy bus, polite and friendly driver, the handout of free chilled bottled water very welcome.

We arrived at Villa Mehtapli (near the green school – go up hill to Omars, on a bit, turn left then right then left again down unmade road) mid afternoon and got almost immediately into the pool! It was very hot (what did we know – it got hotter). I very highly recommend Villa M – very very comfortable, spacious, well equipped, superb pool and huge pool terrace, beautiful view and also fronted by an olive grove, so not looking at the back of someone else''s villa. Not overlooked at all, either, except by villas very high up near the main road, which were too far away to be a bother.

On our first night we walked all the way to the harbour and ate at one of the restaurants right on the water''s edge – not Trio or Aubergine, but another one somewhere in the middle, I don''t recall the name. (Please see restaurant thread for my reviews of places we ate). We tried to have a bit of an explore but were tired and hungry so didn''t do so well on that front. We all thought Kalkan was very pretty and interesting, and everyone we met was very friendly.

We have been to Turkey twice before, both in Calis/Fethiye, so knew that there was a lot to do in the area and lots of places to see, but in the end we chose to do almost nothing. We have all had a very busy and difficult year, and we needed time to recharge and chill out, so that''s what we did. We did rather half heartedly go and enquire about boat trips but in the end decided not to – we were only there for a week, and the mercury rose daily, and with my pallid English skin decided a day on the water was asking for trouble. So our days took on a routine….up early, watch the sunrise over the mountain, lots of coffee, swimming, sunbathe, swim, coffee, swim, then brunch of wonderful fresh eggs, tomatoes, bread and honey late morning before returning to the pool terrace for the afternoon. Not what we normally do on holiday – we do try to get out and about a bit – but it was a) very hot and b) very steep, both of which conspired to make us all relatively useless so we did almost nowt for an entire week. And why not.

One day we went into the village for breakfast – in true Brits abroad style we wanted a full fry – and we walked, and walked, and it got hotter and hotter, and eventually found ourselves at the harbour. No way were we walking back up the hill! Hence, breakfast in Doy Doy. Very, very, very expensive at 25YTL but actually very nice and plentiful. (Price comparisons are both to other places in Kalkan, and also to Calis, where a full breakfast cost about 8 YTL last year, and also to what I would consider paying in the UK). That day we also went to the beach, which was fun if hard on the feet.

We didn''t go to any beach clubs – might have been nice, but didn''t really see the point when we had a fantastic pool, our own sunbeds, our own fridge, our own beer, our own lunch….plus I heard somewhere that they were very busy with children and being kid-free ourselves we preferred the peace and seclusion of our villa.
We did nothing much else – breakfast in Odaks one day, which was half the price of Doy Doy and as good if not better.

Evenings we tended to put our gladrags on and go out; restaurants we tried included Ozalp, Omars, Doyum, Deniz (our absolute runaway favourite), amongst others. See review on restaurant thread. On a couple of nights we had takeaway from Omar''s, which was excellent, highly recommended. Very quick, delivered hot and friendly service. Took it up to the roof terrace and ate there – fantastic views!

We went to the Moonlight one night and proceeded to make total spectacles of ourselves. Apologies, anyone who was there on Tuesday 2nd Sept. We flung ourselves about on the dancefloor, tried to keep up with the barmen doing their hip hop "thang" and gave up when we realised we looked like Riverdance. That evening turned a little for the worse after massive consumption of far too much raki, so Wednesday was the day of the great hangover, and I don''t think we moved from the villa at all. We didn''t go to the Moonlight again. (I doubt they would have let us in).

So all in all we had a fabulous time. What little we saw of Kalkan we really liked. We didn''t see enough of it, to my mind, but there were very good reasons for doing as little as we did – and we got exactly what we needed from our holiday. We''re thinking about returning next year for 2 weeks but later in the year so we can do a little more without wilting in the heat. (Our thermometer hit 120 degrees midweek. I don''t know how accurate it was, but I do know it was the hottest I''ve ever been in Turkey in september).

I did have a few reservations – very pricey, even for Turkey, even taking into account the poor exchange rate. Very slightly too British-expat (no offence, anyone) and too ''yachty'' (anyone who''s been to Cowes will know what I mean) – a bit too upmarket for us, maybe? In some restaurants we found the service overbearing, we know what traditional turkish friendliness is like and we found it a bit false and smarmy in some places. I don''t know what on earth is going on with Robbie Williams impersonators and other ''entertainment'' in restaurants, but – hey, each to their own, obviously some people love it.

I''d go back to Kalkan, to use it as a base for touring and sightseeing as well as for chill-out round the pool, and we had a fantastic time, all told. Returned on Monday night tired, brown, happy and poor.

Finally thank you to all on this website, which gave me lots of handy hints and tips before we went, and answered some of my more stupid queries.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2376.0

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
Re: Trip report 1-8 Sept
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 03:11:02 PM »
Hi LizS many thanks for your comprehensive report.  Really glad you enjoyed Kalkan.  Just on one point, restaurant enterainment; first ''Robbie Williams'' has only arrived in Kalkan this year and hopefully he won''t be coming back!  I agree totally with you, it is out of place in a restaurant.  We went to Ozalp early in July and I think he had only arrived as it was all low key.  One week later, when we were in a nearby restaurant we witnessed the antics and were not impressed at all.  Actually if I had been dining there I would have spoken to the owner Mehmet.  I''m going back  next week and will not be visiting Ozalp for this reason, I will also tell Mehmet why we''re not dining there.  To be honest with you the other restaurants about are as fed up with it as us holidaymakers.  Imagine listening to that everynight!    

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 02:14:16 PM »
I''ve only just noticed this post and have to agree about the supposed Robbie Williams lookalike, I have seen him outside Ozlaps and he looks nothing like him!! Just out of interest what where the antics going on??

I have been to Ozlaps once, quite a while ago, & wasn''t that impressed, I tend to stay away from the over popular restaurants & this is one of the few places that hassle''s a little bit, doesn''t bother me as I can politely say no but my OH always says maybe later & then they never leave him alone, I prefer the more traditionally Turkish places.

Good holiday report though, it''s always lovely to read about other people''s trips but it makes me miss Kalkan ever more

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 02:19:49 PM »
Robbie Williams lookalike...have I been going around with my eyes closed - coz if he really does look like Robbie - I''d have remembered him...???  :o :o  And as to the ''antics'' again - im mystified and a touch intrigued...??!!  LOL!  ;D ;D
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 02:30:49 PM »
Hiya Lougie,we had a meal at Osalp in july,it was pretty good and as I remember not a bad price,they were
full with a big party taking most of the tables,so we had a short wait and were treated to free drinks while
we waited, the service and the food were good,and the terrace on top is nice,if a little cramped,yes,
"Robbie"was there, nice,polite lad and he does look a bit like him,but the novelty does wear off after a while
with all the dancing ect,and he cant sing !  :o

Neil. ;D >:D
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 02:32:11 PM »
If he looked like Robbie Williams he''d be coming home with me!  ;D

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 02:34:35 PM »
It was a while ago that we went there & I remember the tables being cramped.

Does he really dance & sing, does he sing Robbie Williams songs??

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 02:35:50 PM »
OOOOOOOEEEEEEEER MATRON !    :o ;D ::)

Offline Chris18648

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 07:49:42 PM »
 :laugh: Yes...he does dance and sing....and so do all of the other waiters (with the exception of Norman).
My Son and I went once,mainly because the lad outside pestered us again and again :-X.Even he came up and joined in the singing and dancing.
Guests are a captive audience as once the dancing starts,there is no way to escape.
My Son was embarrassed and refused to go again.
Yes,he has a passing resemblance to Robbie Williams , and,I suppose it is a bit of fun,but it would be annoying to anyone who just wants to enjoy a quiet meal and drink.
Chris. :-*

Offline marmitegirl

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 12:19:49 AM »
We too went to Ozalp in July.......twice actually :-[ !!!!! This restaurant has become a firm favourite over the years for the food alone and I have to say "Robbie" has actually put the restaurant on the map whether in a good way or not!!! Everyone remembers it! In a place with so many restaurants that can''t be a bad thing. Robbie is actually a really nice lad and has brought together a good team of waiters who manage to create a fun atmosphere and a bit of a laugh. He does dance but does not sing.......and he does look a bit like Robbie Williams!!!!!!

Offline Chris18648

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 12:24:28 PM »
He sang in June ........... maybe somebody advised him to stop before July !!!!! ::)

Offline JACQUIVIVA

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 12:59:03 PM »
We went out for a romantic meal in Polis Cyprus the owner proceeded to keep saying Merry Christmas in June!, making himself like a flag on a pole horizontal riding a kiddies 3 wheeler bike on the road and generally being a complete fool needles to say we never went again. complementary drink at end of meal was tea or coffee in a mug.

Is this what they think of the British.

I hope this Robbie isn''t a growing trend or am off to Kas!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Live Trip Report.....

Started by antler on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 12:13:55 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
First timers trip report

Started by Belladonna on Holiday Reports and Reviews

5 Replies
Last post September 18, 2012, 03:26:38 PM
by BarbH
xx
kalkan trip report

Started by ladybird on Holiday Reports and Reviews

1 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 05:43:59 PM
by lorilou
xx
Antler's 1st Trip to Kalkan: 14th Aug - 1st Sept 2009

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

6 Replies
Last post September 14, 2009, 01:01:01 PM
by dshiels

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal