Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: This holiday can't come quick enough!  (Read 15505 times)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: This holiday can't come quick enough!
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 10:24:32 AM »
Sounds like a future Wimbledon champion there, Joeyloveskalkan :) :)
I love making plans for Kalkan...which days we are going where. Then each night having a place in mind to eat and often not reaching there...for lots of reasons. I love that just going with the flow thing when we are there...
Keep the reports coming, they are really putting me in the mood 8)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 03:11:40 PM »
Gosh where does the time go; I haven't posted for a while.

Today is Thursday, market day. Walked through the market this morning and the guys are desperate for sales. Trouble is we don't want anything. I have dresses and Gary has t-shirts and shirts from Kalkan. We do need some black peppercorns but these can wait til next week.

Yesterday we went to Fener for coffee in the morning and stayed 3 1/2 hours.  We didn't do that last year but previously this was how we spent our time in Kalkan most days.  The view from the table by the little gate is still spectacular.  I had my favourite avocado and goat's cheese salad.  Still good.

Last night we met up with friends and went to Chillies for dinner. We were the only ones in when we got there but it filled up while we ate. I had the Cillies Special vegetarian dish, WOW it was delicious.  I hope he keeps this on the menu for our next visit.  If I end up with bland food for a couple of nights I may have to go back for more.

I am sat here typing this sat in our room looking out at that view we love so much.  The sea is a deep blue and not a cloud in the sky.  It is a bit windy and the sea looks choppy from here so it must be rough.

That's it for now.  Must get ready to go out.  Due to watch the Turkish Cup Final later.

Jo

Offline IssyG

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 12:51:07 PM »
We are flying out on Monday and I can't wait.  Been looking at the webcam on KTLN and this morning and I counted six people walking past in eight minutes, doesn't seem to be very busy!
We love Kalkan and have been coming out for about 15 years. 
As it's half term next and I work in a school, members of staff have been asking if I'm going away and I say yes to Turkey and every single one of them (at least five this morning, including the Head) have replied 'you must be very brave!'  it's got to the point where I can't be bothered to go into details about the minimal risk, what a lovely place Turkey is  etc.
I'm thinking of replying that I'm off to Greece to avoid the inevitable disagreement - I can't fall out with everyone I work with!
Roll on Monday - I can't wait to see that wonderful view again!

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2016, 01:16:35 PM »
IssG I think I would be inclined to ask them why they think you're brave. If they say 'terrorists' you can educate them by telling them that the Foreign Office rate Turkey no higher risk than the Uk or Spain. Enjoy your holiday.

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2016, 02:15:26 PM »
I simply tell people we are going on holiday  to Basra  and Aleppo,  then when we say   only kidding we are going to Turkey,  they say thank god for that . It is a crazy world we live in ,  I feel safer in Kalkan than in UK , nothing will ever stop us traveling to our beloved Kalkan

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2016, 05:19:21 PM »
IssyG, I've been having sneaky peeks at the KTLN webcams too...at different times of the day/evening and I'm amazed at how quiet it appears to be. The Moonlight tables and chairs have never got passed two-deep which is very unusual. Thought I might take a look later when England are playing to see if it's any different.
As much as I would love Kalkan to ourselves, I worry for the businesses who rely on the tourist lira. As you say, let's hope things really pick-up next week as the half-termers arrive.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2016, 06:24:57 PM »
I've just had a peep at the Korsan webcams......the Korsan is quite busy for its opening night but the Fish Terrace just has people sitting along the edge. We were there at exactly this time last year and it was fully booked as usual. Really hope things pick up,as the season goes on.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2016, 06:27:11 PM »
Your right..the Moonlight does look very quiet...and Utopia has had no one in a couple of nights....lets hope the Businesses survive without hammering the tourists that do come this season!! ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline BeyazGül Apt.

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2016, 06:43:14 PM »
Shame utopia doesn't have trade in it, when I was there in march he was spending most nights to midnight painting. 

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2016, 09:49:27 AM »
I'm sat in Akin at the moment enjoying a coffee looking out over the harbour and deep blue see to the islands. A bit breezy today but the sun is out.

In reply to the posts above, everywhere is quiet. Utopia hasn't had anyone in since we have been here. Not one of our usual haunts I must admit. We are trying to spread our Lira around as much as it is.

We went for a walk yesterday out past the Regency and called in for coffee. When I checked on the menu for the price I wished we hadn't. They were the most expensive coffees I have ever had and I have had coffees all over the world.  Won't make that mistake again.  The prices on the snack menu astronomical.  They are probably very good but couldn't bring myself to pay the price.  I was still in shock on our walk and fell over (down to lack of grip on my sandals actually).  So called back into the Regency to clean up.  Didn't feel guilty about it.

Ate at Smyrna last night which was excellent.  We were the only ones in for a long while.  Then only another couple turned up.  Looking up at the Nar they were empty for a good while.  Merkez still manages to attract people for drinks but not as busy as it used to be.

Please people keep coming to Kalkan it is as gorgeous and quiet as ever.   The building works now the season had started are not having an impact.  Not that I have experienced anyway.

Jo
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 09:54:20 AM by Joeyloveskalkan »

Offline chrisbluestar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2016, 03:45:49 PM »
Please tell how much these "expensive "coffees and snacks were ,so we can compare please

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2016, 08:24:26 PM »
Thanks for posting Joeyloveskalkan, although worrying to hear about the prices at Regency. Like BL, I worry that the Kalkan mentality when things aren't going well is to increase prices to recoup losses.....we all know this doesn't work, but it's usually what happens.
Utopia has been empty, every single night and Moonlight nowhere near as busy as they would normally be for an England match last night, or the play-offs today. A few years back, I remember being there when Blackpool won the playoff for Premiership promotion and you couldn't get a cigarette paper between the tables which went all the way to the other side of the road ???

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2016, 08:30:22 PM »
by contrast! Aubergine who we always thought to be expensive are now selling wine at 25tl a bottle and efes 9tl! most other places 42/45 for wine and 12tl for beer. also think that Aubergine have kept the menu at lower prices as well.

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2016, 11:02:07 PM »
I think we need to give the season a chance to get going.It is still May and more people are hopefully going to be arriving in June / july  / august............but compared to last year,it will be quiete......hopefully,visitors will flock to Kalkan for the bank holiday

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2016, 06:38:58 AM »
Sadly its quieter in all the resorts along the coast.I was in Antalya a couple of weeks ago and Fethiye also,both really suffering this year too.All other resorts reporting the same.
Its going to be a tough season for everyone and so many local people are involved in tourism,one way or another.
The UK press seem to have gone overboard at portraying Turkey as unsafe.Of course you would be a fool to take a trip up to the Syrian border but look how far we are away....When I was in England, in April,people were commiserating with me for living in Turkey!
I can honestly say I feel safer here than on my recent visit to the UK.
Kalkan may be quieter but its as beautiful as ever! A warm welcome wherever you go.....Actually is quite hot already!

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2016, 09:36:05 AM »
Sorry I should have said, the coffees in the Regency were £4.25 each.  Don't know about anyone else but that to me is expensive.

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2016, 10:09:02 AM »
Yes it isn't cheap Joey........but it is The Regency hotel..very very plush and so you should kind of expect higher prices at hotels like this........never going to be similar to say...Cafe vita

Offline pattaya

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2016, 08:54:22 PM »
That's not expsive .. It's extortionate !
Ridiculous more expensive that a cocktail
At the lovely Likya residence hotel.
X

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2016, 07:35:44 PM »
I'm sorry, but I've been in some plush hotels in my time but that price for a coffee certainly takes some beating....as lovely as the Regency is, it's not on Rue Grimaldi in Monaco and needs to get a grip...!

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2016, 09:26:43 AM »
A few more people around now, families mainly. There is a wedding group around that is 60 in number so that should help.

Spent the last couple of days with our family who are also out here.  Sunday afternoon up at the Samira Resort and yesterday over at Kalkan Beachpark.  It was peaceful over there other than Gary's great neice and nephews, but they are well behaved kids so they weren't a bother.

Went back to Cillies Sunday with the family, everyone enjoyed their meals, even the kids.  They do look after you there.  Last night as a treat we went to a new restaurant for us Salt and Pepper.  Always been meaning to go in and only just made it.  Food was ok but nothing special.  But then again as a vegetarian I am hard to please.

Weather has been hot with clear blue skies.  I think there is a bit of cloud around today as the sun went in just now but we are sat in Merkez for coffee and I can't see what is going on up there.

Only a few days left so am writing my list of restaurants to visit and nights left.  Does anyone else do this?

Jo

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Quick trip!

Started by magic3 on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post June 19, 2010, 09:46:22 PM
by magic3
xx
Quick Question about Kalkan

Started by Ralph on General Discussion

16 Replies
Last post March 02, 2015, 01:48:31 PM
by Mayday1
xx
Groceries - a quick Turkish lesson please.

Started by suzyq1 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

10 Replies
Last post August 06, 2013, 09:54:13 PM
by suzyq1
xx
"Quick" Review

Started by chrispegler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

3 Replies
Last post September 03, 2012, 08:14:06 AM
by amber

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Tlos

Views: 3730
By: jofoss
Sunset over Bay