Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20...The 'Golden Birthday Tour'  (Read 47180 times)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Re: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20...The 'Golden Birthday Tour'
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2015, 08:40:58 AM »
I suspect if you wanted an authentic "curry" cooked by an Indian chef it would be best to holiday in India?? ::) or at least a city in Britain........we visited our local Indian restaurant at the weekend and not surprisingly "curry" wasn't on the menu, and neither were chips!
Peri menopause breakouts aside, sounds like you are still having an amazing time.....even going to bed at midnight, knew you couldn't keep it up girls!!  >:D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2015, 12:01:01 PM »
Oh your fellow diners in Asian Gate sounded hideous....! What is wrong with people? I'm assuming they were British, which makes me ashamed of my country when you hear things like this.
What a shame for this lovely couple who try hard to please and are the epitome of politeness. I'm glad you had nice meals and enjoyed your visit - despite the obnoxious behaviour of this couple.
Cant wait to hear all about today s trip.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2015, 01:22:24 PM »
We haven't  tried piña x yet but thankfully Shirl has booked us in during our holiday in September. Sounds like it should be a good trip. Those people at Asian Gate sound really obnoxious. Hope you have a great trip out today. Can't wait to hear all about it.  ;D ;D

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2015, 03:11:21 PM »
Wednesday 26th August.

"We're on a road to nowhere"...or so it felt. After automan lived up to his name and collected the car we finally set off. He was getting very frustrated as he was up bright and early and us girlies were taking an age to get ready. Well you can't rush a woman, we need to apply moisturiser, sun cream, Check and double check bags, do we need towels?, pack them anyway, should I take my book? Have you got your lip balm? Tissues? Beach shoes? Shove 'em in anyway, lock the door, oh bloody hell I've forgotten my sunglasses, unlock the door, ear phones? No, Daaad, unlock the door pleeasse, I really need them And finally the door was locked and off we set. At last we were off, off in a motor car with hopefully no bobbies after us and hopefully we know where we are.  :)

So we rooted through the CD's in the glovebox and they all skipped like a warped scratched record on a turntable, other  than the best of the eurythmics, so that was to be our accompaniment for the day,  on a loop, until we could take no more and automan had to be physically restrained from shoving it where the sun don't shine.  ;D
We set off up the yayla road, past the villa where we stayed for the past years and on to the fork in the road. Left or right? Left it was, through bezirgan, stop off at the storage huts and a quick peek at the blokes playing Turkish backgammon in the meydan, no women about there. We did spot the women though - they were sitting cross legged in one of the gardens, looking like they were all peeling something,  obviously working hard and building up a sweat while the chaps sipped their chai oblivious.

We snaked up hill and down dale, via uzumlu until we hit the junction where you turn to sakklikent. We then turned left, joined the D400 at kinik and then on to patara where we met up with Bob, Jayne and KAtie. It was easy to spot them as Shirl purposely took her neon yellow high visibility beach cover up and there it was, wafting in the breeze from their umbrella, visible from the wooden walkway like a homing beacon.  :)
Quick chat then on to beach shack for lunch which was okayish.
Crikey it was hot on that beach and the sand was on fire. As hot as the hobs in hell as my dear departed Irish grandma used to say. We could only stand an hour then back to the blistering heat of the car and on to lavanta in convoy with the gang. They beat us to it as we went for a quick drive in search of the dunes but went the wrong way and never found them.  ::)

We all fell into the body temperature warm pool at lavanta as we were beyond sweaty and then needed magnums to revive us. Oh my word, creme brûlée magnums are the nectar of the Gods! Papatya cafe's menu up at Lavanta looks really good but unfortunately we had already eaten so couldn't sample anything. We stayed there for an hour or so before making our way home and launching ourselves in the apartment pool almost before automan had applied the handbrake.  8) 8)

Last night I collected one of my bags (clutch bag not ready) from BSG and we nipped in to fountain bar for refreshments. We hadn't decided where to eat but cafe del mar's roof terrace looked inviting so we ended up there. I had slow cooked lamb and it was really delicious, as were the rest of our meals. Free ice creams for afters and we were good to go.
We'd arranged to rendezvous with the gang but we were all shattered after our respective road trips, so after a brief chat we went our separate ways. We meandered up to the moonlight bar for a quickie on the way to the taxi rank, the others preferring to get a taxi from the harbour.
And so endeth another blissful but busy day with road trip take 2 to follow tomorrow...

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2015, 03:48:38 PM »
Have you ever thought of writing a book Lizzie? You certainly make interesting reading. Sounded like another good day for all.

I bet automan could oot get back to Kalkan for a drink after all the driving in that het.

Just to let everyone know in Kalkan, here in the UK it is p--ing down and not that warm, pity anyone on holiday here, they must be fed up getting rusty instead of a  sun tan. :(

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2015, 05:01:58 PM »
Just to let everyone know in Kalkan, here in the UK it is p--ing down and not that warm, pity anyone on holiday here, they must be fed up getting rusty instead of a  sun tan. :(

Rusty? I've now got webbed feet!
Can't wait to get back to Kalkan for six weeks on 20th Sept - it's been a horrid summer here and such a shock to the system after spending the last two years in Kalkan :(
Great reports btw Liz!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 05:05:35 PM by MartynE »

Offline Holidaylover28

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Totally agree some sunshine and heat can't come quick enough! Someone said yesterday "well we haven't had too bad of a summer!" :o ok if you count a total of a fortnights sun as summer!! ::)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2015, 06:14:34 PM »
I am so fed up of people telling me it's been a good summer here!? Really, not where I've been it hasn't! I can tell how good a summer it's been by the number of times I've walked the dog on week days in shorts......1!
So jealous of all you people enjoying the sun in Kalkan......I'm counting down the minutes practically till we go to Andalusia in October, it had better be sunny!  8)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2015, 06:21:31 PM »
Its been a rotten UK summer for anyone north of Watford...although my London pals say its not been brilliant either. All the bad weather is coming off that westerly jet stream which appears to have got stuck over us in Wales :( :(
I'm looking forward to a bit of Greek sunshine come Friday :)
Your road trip sounded fab Lizilu - other than the Eurythmics :P We never made it to Cafe Del Mar's new venture on the roof - good to hear you enjoyed your meals.
thanks for keeping up with the blog - its great to read what you all get up to - even if its nothing. I can taste those Magnums...amazing!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
We are on the south coast and can confirm that this year has been rubbish except for the few weeks when the whole of the UK had sun!!...Today we had flooding locally again!! Still only 294 days to go ::)  enjoying reading these reports

Babs...do people look at your dog and Wolf whistle when it wears shorts?? >:D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2015, 08:17:51 PM »
There is no excuse for bad manners and offensive behaviour and I'm sorry if it spoilt your evening. If this obnoxious couple want authentic curry with chips they're probably better off staying in England and going to their local takeaway!! Apart from that experience it sounds as though you are having a really enjoyable holiday.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2015, 08:39:17 PM »
BL........ ;D ;D my dog is very fetching in his shorts......and as for his shades, well!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2015, 03:36:55 PM »
Thursday 27th August

Hurrah!! No new zits and boil on neck is reducing nicely. Skin is looking a little more golden and my 'tache whiskers are also looking sun bleached. I'm too scared to remove them in case the dreaded spots come back. I'm glad I'm 50 as my through my rheumy eyes I look pretty damn good in the mirror until I put my readers on. Motto, blurry eyes give a very nice false sense of security. Just dont lean forward into a mirror as the jowl sag is never a good look. How come I didn't notice all these facial changes when I was 49??? I've obviously far too much time (and age spots) on my hands while I'm busy going nothing on holiday.  ;D

So road trip part 2 it was yesterday and what a trip that was - I'm still feeling traumatised!

We were more organised yesterday so a little after 9 am we set off on our mission to get to Kas via the mountain roads rather than the coastal D400. With a bit of spit and polish I fettled some of the other glove box CD's and managed to get Now 80something to work.
We confidently made our way out of Kalkan, stopping to take pics of the stunning scenery, until we came to the junction with Bezirgan to the left and Saribelen to the right. For the first time ever, we took a right and set off into the unknown. I'm not sure what happened really but we never found Saribelen, or any other town/village on our less than trusty map. We kept going uphill andbearing right, our logic being that the sea is to the right but after an hour or so, on the top of a mountain where we could see no sea, surrounded by a herd of woolly goats and no civilisation for over half an hour, no landmarks, road like a single Tarmac track, half a bottle of water between the four of us and less than a 1/4 of a tank of petrol, I began to feel a little bit of panic. I could hear the strains of paddy and max from the back seat 'don't know where we're going, got no way of knowing, driving on a road to nowhere' and that did it for me!
Automan could sense that I was little anxious. I think what gave it away was when he noticed I was making the sign of the cross and muttering to St Jude, the patron saint of lost causes. I snapped out of it though when we finally began to snake downwards and saw our first sign, something like Inzce (1km) and then finally Kas. We suddenly saw the welcome sight of sea and paragliders, so close to our heads we felt like we could reach up and touch them! We passed through a pretty little village with B and B's so we knew we were on to a winner and then a very windy mountain road with sudden and spectacular views of Meis, Kas and the KAs peninsular.
These views were seriously the best I've ever seen in my life, a real lump in the throat, tears welling, never to be forgotten moment. Definitely worth the very hairy over 2 hour expedition. If any of you out there recognise this unmarked route, please let me know where we went as the route didn't resemble anything on our map.
To say I was relieved to hit Kas town was an understatement. We managed to park up opposite the fountain and headed straight for the familiar sign of 'hunkar Okabasi'. It was 11.45 and we had set off just after 9am! They didn't really open up until 12 but could sense my plight, invited us in and before you could say 'make mine a doner' I had a fan wafting the perspiration away and a glass of ice cold Efes in my hand (should have been a brandy really!) at last I was relaxed.
After a delicious lunch, we had a stroll around town and set off back to Kalkan, on the coastal D400 this time! We intended to stop off at kaputas but there was literally nowhere to park. I've never seen it so busy, cars lining the curves of the road as well as treble parked in the lay-bys. It was even difficult to actually get through the road as it had narrowed to a track due to the amount of vehicles. Such a shame really. I wonder if this is because there is now the refreshment hut and loungers? So we carried on to see Adem and family at Adems place instead. It was quite busy and there was a coach load of what sounded like Russians dining so we didn't get much time for a chat as he was rushed off his feet. Was so nice to have five minutes with him though and a lovely refreshing cherry juice to keep us going on our journey back home.
A swift dip in the pool then blog time and before I knew it, it was time to get ready. Some friends were coming for drinks prior to dinner at alternatif so it was all systems go. Just before the gang and  friends arrived, Automan managed to crack his head on the roof terrace door and nearly passed out. I heard a yell, then saw him stagger towards me with blood dripping down his head. Straight on the bed as he was seeing stars while I tended to his abrasion, desperately trying to avoid the blood going on the crisp white bedding and my crisp white outfit! He certainly picks his moments.  :)

We had a lovely hour with drinks and gorgeous nibbles. The nibbles provided by Bob and JAyne and more of Bob's delicious hummus, marinated olives, cheese, crackers, nuts, baklava bites and sweet succulent grapes fresh from our friends grapevine from their villa in Uzumlu. I had to be so careful not to overindulge as chateaubriand was waiting for us in town. After collecting my bag from BSG, we enjoyed dinner together, on to fener for ice creams, then dispersed our separate ways. We had an after dinner cocktail at yakamoz and pitched ourselves on the 'thrones' watching the world go by, what could be better than this? Apple maritini's, Cuba libre and reflecting on the day's events.  :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 03:58:12 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2015, 04:15:06 PM »
 :) wow wow wow. I just love your posts. What a day; sounds fun, scary and a day to remember always. So glad the blemishes are improving lol. Hope automan is okay.

You have a fab way with words. Your posts and that of others make me love Kalkan even more.  Thank you.  :laugh:

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2015, 04:26:43 PM »
Thanks Janeb and to all for your lovely comments. We are having a ball here and don't want it to end. Haybo, thanks for the chateaubriand recommendation. I forgot to say just how lovely it was.  :-*

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2015, 06:09:13 PM »
So glad you enjoyed it.  Your road trip sounds like the one we made to Elmali...i was v stressed about that, but had a good time in the end. Looking forward to a wave tomorrow!

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
I think you missed a right turn in Saribelen, which is very close after you turned right onto new territory. It's not very well signposted and doesn't look like a major turn so instead of going towards Gokceoren & Cukurbag you headed up into the hills and you are right there is no habitation on that route and no signage. If you look on the map you bypassed Ugrar before you dropped down to Kas.

I know because even though we have done the correct mountain route to Kas many times last time we did it I was chatting, we missed the turning and did the route you took. You climb a lot, it's very interesting but a worry when you don't know where you are!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:40:49 PM by Kalkan regular »

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2015, 06:24:38 AM »
Another extremely descriptive post that had me hanging on every word. Your road trip to Kas sounded quite an adventure but at least you all survived to tell the tale.

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2015, 07:16:06 AM »
Hi, Liz - fab post! We've done your scary roadtrip to Kas! It is very beautiful, though!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2015, 08:47:08 AM »
Friday 28th August

Another beautiful day today, the sun is blazing down and barely a wisp of cloud in the sky. The boats are just setting off on their day trips, chugging out of the harbour in convoy and I'm nursing another hangover.  ::) thank goodness for Shirl's coffee.  8)

Thanks for your replies - kalkan regular, you're right and thank you. I remember seeing that turn but thought it was a road leading to a villa as it didn't look like a main road. Now I know exactly where we went wrong, we will just have to do it again next year but take the correct turn next time. It was very scenic and atmospheric, but yes, it was scary being in unknown territory with no sign of habitation.  :o

Yesterday was a mooching day. We finally got the girls out of their pit after banging the bedroom door a few times. Why oh why do teenagers think it's acceptable to act like rip van winkle when there is so much to see and do on holiday. One just couldn't drag herself away in time for our lift to the market from Bob, but 3 of us made it. The market was quite quiet yesterday and we made it to the end without melting. Our youngest got herself a pair of converse and I got myself some barbecue sis spice.
We walked back home, stretching our calf muscles up the yali hill and collected daughter number 2, hardly fresh as a daisy but at least awake enough to continue on our journey up the kalamar road and on to cafe vita for brunch. It was hard going in the heat up that short but sharp incline but we made it and spent a good hour and a bit eating lovely grub. Armed with yet another cafe vita shopper to add to the supermarket carrier bag collection, we made our way home, tummies full and bodies sluggish after our feast.
What to do for the afternoon? A pool day was in order - so we had fun in the sun with the inflatables and of course my lovely Walter. The apartment pool is fab. It's in a courtyard and somewhat shaded so it's always cold and refreshing, just what you need in this heat.

Last night was our trip to gourmet with the gang. It started off well but unfortunately the night was marred by the waiter tripping behind me and poring a full carafe of red wine over my shoulder, all down my top, new mulberry bag and white jeans, with a lovely spray for good measure over our daughter too. OMG!!!you could have heard a pin drop. Everybody on that top terrace was looking at us and the waiter started laughing!!!! I wasn't bloody laughing, I was bloody annoyed. I think it was nerves though as he quickly whisked us away, and like Mr muscle, armed with vanish spray, he squirted away until the red wine stains finally began to fade. We were gone a while and while we were away, apparently the rest of the gang were left unattended, the staff seemingly not knowing what to do. Upon my return, looking like a drowned rat and smelling of chemicals, the service was resumed. We were undecided whether or not to stay or go, but after profuse apologies from the management, offer to launder the clothes and free wine (unlimited) we decided to stay and eventually a good night was had by all. The food was amazing, I couldn't resist who let the chickens out again - it's so good.
So after drinking my body weight in wine, and taking a bottle home for later, I'm feeling the after effects this morning.
I wonder what today will bring?  ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal