Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20 - Fun In The Sun!  (Read 23462 times)

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20 - Fun In The Sun!
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2016, 05:46:02 PM »
Pleased to hear about the Likya. Will try that out for a change. Also the Olive Garden - often been there and the food is good.  Lovely weather over here, basked in sunshine all day. Have a lovely day tomorrow. 👙🕶🐴👛

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2016, 06:50:15 AM »
Fab report Lizilu, it feels like we are here on holiday with you  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

J&B xx

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 11:30:14 AM »
Perhaps the cooling spray should be in a cool-bag? >:D
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2016, 12:09:54 PM »
Loving your reports, Lizilu - how I wish we were there right now! Well done with the walking - makes you feel like you've earned your cocktails :)
Nice to see Olive Garden getting some well-deserved business - this place hasn't changed in all the years we've been coming - don't think the menu's changed either but it offers fabulous food and great views.
Don't let Reggae lead you astray.....
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »
As I often say when I read someone's holiday report........sigh!  :angel:

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2016, 09:22:21 AM »
Tuesday 16/08/16

So a couple of days to catch up on. It's  been a bit of a whirlwind so far and I hope it's going to slow right down now!

Sunday -

Usual breakfast, although there was a dodgy looking fried bread, possibly French toasty thing as a main feature. I gave it a wide berth as it reminded me of a picture of a deep fried Mars bar and made me feel a bit queasy looking at it.
We had a pool day around the Pirat with Bob and Jane and kept Reggae company, well the boys did while us girls soaked up the sun. It's very quiet at the moment, over a hundred rooms and only 30 or so occupied. Great for finding a sun lounger but not to so good for business.
Around 5ish we decided to take advantage of being in town and trotted over to fener where we indulged in a bottle or 2 of wine and watched the boats lazily chugging their way back home, most not looking too full, however the popular ones eg yildiz looked full to capacity.
A Turkish lady with a cute and squidgy looking baby called Dennis  (probably Deniz)  started chatting to us. He was delightful. Looked like someone had tied elastic bands round his wrists and ankles and had a mop of curly black hair, just like Dennis the menace. So we both took a shine to this cherub however me and Shirl had necked a bottle of wine by this stage so when mum offered us a cuddle I was unsure if maybe it was a wise choice as if my arms acted like my legs usually do and decide to turn to marshmallow maybe not a wise move, so I muttered a very sincere "cok guzel" because he was, however brave Shirl grabbed Dennis with glee and Dennis became a slippery eel between her fingers, we were bricking it but mum seemed happy. Needless to say we were all relived when cherubic Dennis let out a wail worthy of a banshee and Jayne hurriedly passed him back to the safe arms of mum.  ;D

Bob and Jayne were dining in so we went to kaya to see the boys for our evening meal and lovely it was too. Both food and ambience fab. One of kaddir's nephews is learning a few card tricks and practised on us. Not quite up to kaddir's standard yet but he's getting there. Poor lad was very nervous but we gave him lots of smiles and made encouraging noises when he got it right.

Back to the Pirat and an early night we thought. Hmm famous last words, suffice to say that we helped a 19 yr old celebrate his birthday with balloons fireworks, cake, champagne and a pool party all laid out  free of charge by Reggae and staff. Our 15yr old slinking back to her pit witn a look of disgust while mum and dad partied until the wee small hours! I'd forgotten how exhausting a hotel can be! Even better OH and birthday boy's dad were wearing matching shirts, looking like 2 bookends as they sat side by side! 

Yesterday was moving day, thank the Lord as I don't think my ageing bones can cope with this partaay scene much longer!!!

To be continued....
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 09:30:07 AM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2016, 12:53:09 PM »
Ha! Tucking yourself up the Kalamar road away from temptation is probably your only wayof saving your liver and getting some sleep whilst away!   Only half a day to go, !

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2016, 03:46:10 PM »
Ha ha ha Lizilu, fab post sat on Calis Beach laughing out loud! Can't wait to read the next instalment, it's taken me til 5pm to get over it!

Jx

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2016, 08:15:25 AM »
Thursday 18/08/16

OH my word, where are these days going!

Monday

Monday was moving day so we sadly said good bye to the Pirat. We loved it there.  Fab position, reasonable price and a very sociable atmosphere, however the room was a bit of a squash for 3 people and the bathroom was so bijou that you had to enter and either walk to the side of the toilet or step in the shower to shut the door. Literally not able to swing a cat in there, no window and no extractor fan so we didn't tend to stay in the room much as at times it got a bit funky in there and I'm not talking about OH's play list here.  :-\
We enlisted the help of 2 young lads sent from reception to carry our bags. Poor things were bent double as they heaved them onto their backs and traversed the millions of steps down to the reception and they were making lots of grunting noises. I felt really bad for packing the 2 litres of bacardi,  1 litre JD, 1 litre gin and 2 bottles of prosecco in there. Not thinking about the weight at the time of packing. I hope they've recovered. I also hope the poor bloke who OH inadvertently sugared his coffee has too. At breakfast I took great delight in watching OH get his morning  coffee. As he placed it down to turn for the sugar,  a random chap put his next to OH as he went for the milk. OH Turned  back and popped the sugar cubes in this blokes coffee and the look on the blokes face was priceless as was OH'S when he clocked his mistake. With mutterings of "sorry mate" he sheepishly skulked back to our table.   ;D
Before we knew it, we were flying off down the kalmar road and onto our new home for the next week.
We settled in nicely and a massive thank you to RosiB and Yelkenite who left us with a fridge packed with enough food and drink to last us for the duration. We are very appreciative. Especially our daughter who was in that batcave quicker than a blink of an eye. So relieved to have her own room again.
It was sad waving them off bittersweet really as we then had the excitement of knowing that our holiday was well and truly underway and we could stop living out of suitcases and properly unpack.
That evening we were meeting up with Bob and Jayne and other friends at the the Likya pavillion, for happy hour. Big Mistake!  I thought it meant 1 glass of wine and I free glass. No it meant 1 bottle was half price so it just had to be done. A bottle each and no food since lunch. It was a recipe for disaster and by the time we headed off in the direction of town, Shirl and I were definitely much the worse for wear. We clung onto each other as we lurched this way and that down the track by Indigo and probably looked as though we were competing in a 3 legged race, staggering and singing "hunker hunker stick it up your jumper" as that was where we were headed. Well we ate our hunker and I think know it was as good as ever but it's a bit hazy really.
I do remember Jayne saying she didn't want a drink to the waiter. "No no no, she stressed, nothing, zero, I've had enough" and the waiter came back with a can of coke zero for her.  ;D so funny.

Tuesday

Tuesday we breakfasted at the yelken for a treat and to soak up the previous nights overindulgence.
It was delicious but pricey. Worth it though and ever so handy for us.
We spent a lovely day round the pool and contemplated  where to eat that night. We decided idea on wapiano due to the good reviews and also as we had been chatting to Guven previously and promised him we would try there.
Oh it was amazing. We previously loved it as agora too. Delicious food at reasonable prices in a lovely location. What's not to like? A meal for 3 of us with wine (only a glass or 2 - giving my liver a rest  ::) ) beer, soft drinks and a grand total of 165 lira! Wow. We are definitely returning there.
We ended the night at kaya, OH dumping me there while he and daughter trekked up to the pharmacy.  A recurring ear infection being the culprit, poor man. Anyway he got sorted out and we had fun time propping the bar up and catching up with the guys, playing and losing at connect 4.
Noticeably absent was the young and petite waiter who kaddir told us was now working in the bakery for a bit of life experience,  gone to see the world, then come back home! Hee hee  we did laugh. Not as much as last year though when I said to him, wow you've grown and he said, so I should, I'm 23 now! Oh I love it in kaya, such a brilliant atmosphere and we have made such wonderful friends there. Our daughter hates boat trips and we were off to kekova the following day. No problem, they said. She can stay here all day and we will look after her. So kind, but she politely declined as the thought she might have to do a bit of work in the kitchen for her keep!

Yesterday was kekova day and i will report back later as the pool is looking, inviting and my Walter is beckoning me with come hither eyes!

To be continued...

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 08:18:28 AM by Lizilu20 »

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2016, 09:48:46 PM »
Glad to see you've settled in, Liz! We're missing Kalkan! The weather here has been beautiful, so still able to wear shorts - makes things a little bit more bearable!

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2016, 10:52:58 PM »
Tarcey the lovely waiter from Kaya seems really happy at the bakery, he gets every evening off.....what's not to like.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2016, 08:56:29 AM »
Friday 19/08/16

Bit of a sore head this morning as my rheumy eyes struggle to focus on mouse and snake. It's all Shirl's fault of course.  ;) but more of that later.  ;D

Wednesday

Wednesday was kekova day and what a fabulous day we had and a massive thanks to kalkan gems for booking it for us. We set off on the minibus and drove to kekova, stopping off at a viewing point high over Kas for a quick photo shoot of the majestic scenery. It was a very clear morning and Meis stood proud, you could almost make out the pastel shades of the buildings it was so clear.
We continued on, up and down the winding roads until we arrived on the car park. Straight onto the boat and away we sailed. It was a different experience and dare I say, better than last time. The last time we were here we sailed from Kas and although I loved it,  our daughter didn't as she still suffers from motion sickness and it was very choppy at times. This was far more relaxing  and lots of time for swim stops. The colour of the sea is so beautiful here, azure and turquoise mingling together and very warm too. We were all told to come to the front of the boat as the captain was nosing into a cave for us. Just as we were entering, Shirl stood up amid shouts of mind your head!!! Phew, a close shave there!  :o
We soon landed at Simena and set off for ice cream. Of course we had every intention of climbing up to the castle but of course we were far too lazy and stumbled into a little roof terrace cafe which had a lovely view of the harbour so we stayed there. Our daughter desperate for the loo was horrified when the owner showed her to a traditional hole in the ground, so she crossed her legs until we got back on the  boat!  :o
We should have had another swimming stop but it was too choppy, so the captain told us we could swim around for the boat but there was some dubious looking objects floating around so we gave it a miss but Shirl and Bob braved it with their mouths closed.  :)
All too soon it came to an end and we were chugging back home down the D400 coastal road again. Such fantastic views. Kaputas was incredibly busy and the bus struggled to get through a as there were that many cars narrowing the already tight bend.
It was a fantastic day via volume travel. The boat although full to capacity was roomy and lots of seats and beds available and the BBQ lunch was delicious and plentiful. We also enjoyed gozleme for breakfast and you could whizz round the sea on an inflatable armchair dragged by a motor boat if you desired.  :)

We dined at the brothers that evening, too tired to venture very far and it was delicious. Small portions but food to die for. I had the cokerterme with a mixed salad and it was perfect. If you haven't tried it, you must go and we'll with a trip up the kalamar road. We noticed that cafe vita was full kf customers as it was their popular BBQ buffet night. A quick champagne cocktail at aqua and it was bedtime. Perfect end to a perfect day.

Thursday

Yesterday we spent the day around the pool for more AB Fab fun in the sun with Shirl and Bob and enjoyed a lovely lunch courtesy of RosiB and the delicious and plentiful food they left for us. For the first time ever we had cream with our succulent peaches and the taste was amazing. The plums and peaches/nectarines covered in cream were so beautifully ripe, they oozed through our greedy fingers and were a taste sensation. We also had some figs that Bob and Jayne brought round and they went so well with the cheese, sharp goats cheese and hard cheddar types. Various cold meats, warm spicy doner meat and bread with mezze dips were also gratefully consumed. A veritable feast was had by all.

Last evening as you've heard from haybo was a fab get together and we had lots of fun. How the waiter laughed when OH made the comment about the battery acid and Jayne and I not being able to tell the difference. He's a bad 'un. Me and Shirl are coinnesuers but by the second bottle of wine "on the house"  so how could we refuse,   I was flagging somewhat  and with the stealth of a pick pocket as I noticed Shirl's glass emptying I filled it with mine. Sorry Shirl but it seemed like a good idea at the time. We took lots of photos of us in not so flattering poses of which I'm not too proud of this morning but a very happy memory of a brilliant night.

Beach today so I'd better get a shimmy on. 8)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2016, 11:46:25 AM »
Well that brightened up my morning in the office! Who did you go to Kekova with as we may do that I'm October?

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2016, 12:26:15 PM »
Great post Lizzie. Sounds like a fab kekova day. Must try the brothers as small portions suit me much better than huge meals. Xxx

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2016, 12:37:34 PM »
Thanks ladies, it was a fab day out and booked via volume travel. X

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2016, 01:45:19 PM »
Lovely post Lizilu, sounds like you're having an Ab Fab time :) I cant decide which of you is Patsy and which of you is Edina :-*
That made me laugh about the traditional toilet...I really struggle with those too, so Batgirl is not alone. Great that you've all been able to meet up for dinner - sounds like you had a great evening.
Looking forward to more posts...or rather I insist on more posts.

Offline Mrs M!

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
  • Holiday Junkie!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2016, 07:54:23 PM »
You're giving me a real taste for next month! Thank you :)
Lou :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2016, 07:25:18 AM »
Patsy/Eddi??? Loving your posts, keep on writing. AB FAB!!

xx

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2016, 08:48:29 AM »
Sunday 21/08/16

Well its a lazy and hazy Sunday today for us. It was very humid last night and same this morning. There feels to be a dampness in the air and the sun is obscured by lazy clouds. Also a power cut going on, hopefully this won't last too much longer. We've had a bit of a stressful time from home over the past few days. Both eldest daughters off to uni and places thankfully confirmed and accommodation sorted but I felt so bad not being able to help them much other than assist with checking emails and lots of facetiming while they were on the computer. Miracles of modern science, all sorted now thanks to technology.

So as Jayne has already mentioned, it was fun time Friday at the beach with them. The sea is as bracing as ever. Freezing cold near the surface and warmer underneath. Very difficult to find a warm patch so a quick dip every now and then when the heat of the sun became overpowering. We had a lovely lunch in kleo, very handy being just up the steps too. According to Durali  there is still work to be done, permanent canopies to be erected and travertine floors to be installed.

We also saw the sweetcorn guy on the beach but didn't indulge as we had already eaten. Nice touch from the beach cafe doing waiter service ice cold drinks and snacks too.
I had an unfortunate experience with a sunbed - unbeknown to me there was a bit of a crack in it and as I heaved my body down, there was an almighty cracking noise and suddenly my posterior was grazed with the beach pebbles. Note to self - strict diet starts officially the minute that plane touches down in Manchester.   ::)
We also witnessed a street dog cheekily cock its leg up over a towel bedecked sun bed  :o but we never saw the owner to tell them unfortunately. Just selfishly glad it wasn't ours, it was a bit funny too so we did have a bit of a guilty giggle.

Again Shirl has also mentioned we dined together at wapianos and no need for me to elaborate.  It was very, very good and lovely to watch the sun go down with a cold glass of wine while tucking into delicious food with Ab fab company.  :D

Yesterday saw us embark on a day in the life on an ocean wave with captain Mike on smile boat. A private charter for the 5 of us and it was utterly AB FAB from beginning to end. A smaller boat that I think only does private charters. He was delightful and so was his shy but pleasant petty officer Dimple. At least that what he told us her name translated to in  English as he demonstrated whilst poking his finger in my cheek  ;D
My word, me and Shirl were in heaven, bobbing along on our noodles (apparently known as woggles dahn sahf) on the beautiful briny sea. Our only exertion was burning the wine calories off while swimming around the boat at every stop thus enabling  us to have another glass! Sun, sea, wine, food feast, wine, swim, wine, snooze , wine...you get the picture. OH rocking the boat with his snores, so liberating when you're with friends.  ;) even our sea sick daughter did well. Only heaving once when it got a bit choppy.
We did the usual trip but stopped at mouse island to see the goats rather than refreshing frenk bay but I was happy with this as the sea was beautiful and calm and warm there.
At lunchtime we moored up alongside what we think must have been a boat for "special people" not sure what nationality they were but they weren't your usual sailors. I felt a bit sorry for the captain as although very amusing to us, I can imagine it was a nightmare for him trying to control them. They were mostly middle aged but acting like unruly schoolkids on a school trip. They were trying to climb up the anchor, then running along the gangplank and shimmying under the safety ropes, diving off and jumping off, fully clothed. Poor captain was running from one end of the boat to the other in a wasted effort to control them. It was also very amusing watching them take photos from the top deck. A portly man sucking in his tummy and puffing out his chest in various poses, sniffing under his arms then applying fresh deodarant, fab for people watching. Shirl also gatecrashed another boat party at the mud bath and got coated up nicely by someone from their gang.  ;D
On one of the stops we got a bit close to another boat and the other r boat had to change position so started the engine and chugged off a little. A poor bloke from that boat who was having a leisurely swim obviously saw his boat chugging away with his family aboard, wife and child hanging onto the steps, and he set off like an Olympic gold medalist, his arms cutting through the water like a warm knife through butter.  Thankfully all was fine.

So after a fantastic day we ended up in fener for a light snack of an evening meal and crashed out on the thrones at Jimmy's while listening to the gravelly tones of Aklan strumming his guitar. I'll let Shirl fill you in on that bit as we were party poopers and left like cinderella upon the stroke of midnight, shattered from our weirdly exhausting yet relaxing day on the high seas. I have whatsapp evidence however that Shirl was swigging cocktails until the wee small hours so I'm looking forward to reading about that.

Well daughter is still in the cave, OH is back from the cashpoint and the powers back on as the pool has just bubbled into life so I'd better get this posted while the goings good. The sun has got its hat on too so I'm off out to play.  8)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 08:50:54 AM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2016, 11:35:36 AM »
So the sunbed already had a crack in it mmmmmmm? >:D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal