Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The secret Kalkan diary of Lizilu20...And then there were 3!  (Read 31498 times)

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Just had a chuckle to this sat at my desk at work.  My colleagues wondered what was going on.
J

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: The secret Kalkan diary of Lizilu20...And then there were 3!
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2016, 02:42:44 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D :laugh:
That made me laugh out loud! Lizilu AKA the dirty bag.
So glad you have arrived safely in Kalkan and looking forward to hearing all about your stay. Hopefully you'll venture down to the harbour soon and let us know what you think. Seaport should be open shortly, although it looks from the photos on KTLN that Phase 2 is creating a bit of a mess for the new places to contend with. Unusual that Fener isn't open yet, but perhaps that's also to do with the building works.
Hopefully there are enough places open for eating and drinking during your stay. Keep posting...I'm hanging on every word :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2016, 03:25:56 PM »
Thursday 14/04/16

And loving the Kalkan life.

Yesterday we awoke bright and early with the sun streaming in, birds twittering, dogs a barkin' and diggers diggin'. There is quite a bit of construction work going on in kalamar at the sea front. I'm presuming it's the new massive hotel and apartments that I believe wil be ready next year. From the balcony we can  just about see the the roof tops in the distance.

We decided we would stroll along to cafe vita for breakfast and pick up a few bits from Yali express next door, after having a little photographic trip around our friends newly lain lawn. Lawn was looking good apart from a pink tinge around the edges. Before we left for Kalkan, my phone case bust and I got a cheapie one but it's too deep and hence all my phone pics have an unwanted special effect! I'm sure you lot that are my friends on Facebook will have realised this already!
Anyway, cafe vita was closed so after picking up our bits and bats, we settled ourselves in at the Yelken Bistro for brekkie.
It was brunch I suppose really, so OH plumped for a burger, daughter had a chicken burger and I had a very healthy scrambled eggs on toast with roasted tomatoes. It was delicious and the ambience is lovely. The fire is all but forgotten and to be honest it looks even better than before, with an extended relaxed seating area.  :)

We then decided to relax around the pool and let our milky bods absorb some vitamin D. Oh it felt good to be in the sun again and by the time it got to 4pm ish I was chilled, relaxed and starving so I ate my body weight in ruffles crisps and had to swill them down with a glass of wine or two - all good intentions through the window...again!  8)

Last night we walked into town again and took in a few details for the team.  :)
The Asfiya (as previously mentioned on here) is kind of no more. In its place are 3 shells of new builds, I really cannot image that they will be ready in time for this season as they are just in breeze black form. At the moment very unsightly and a bit of a blot on the landscape, however in true Kalkan form, I'm sure they will look beautiful when finished. We are told they will be apartments. We shall see. Johnnys (Ibo's) was deserted but his signs are still there. Sadly Asian Garry looks derelict with even the metal railings removed and there looks to be work going on in chillies. No Kalkan kebab on the corner, it looked derelict too. Hunker seems to have had a makeover and looks quite posh.

We changed some money at the phone shop (rate 3.80  >:( >:() and dined in the lovely Kaya. We had delicious food and perfect company with the 'boys'. We stayed there for most of the night, laughing, joking and catching up with them. I was drinking their famous pomegranate juice with a slug of gin and it was like the juice of the Gods! Food was as good and reasonable as ever. In fact OH said that his kofte were the best he's ever tasted. I had the lambs liver and daughter had chicken sis. We all cleared our plates. Kadir gave us an improptu magic show - a trip down memory lane, the first trick he ever learned, the first trick he ever showed us all those years ago and some of his present day stuff. He is so talented.

We were going to go home to bed but the pull of black and gold was too strong. We wandered down a deserted old town - it's really quiet- and plonked ourselves at the bar. After hugs and welcomes and a new VIP card we sampled some of Burak and Rabiya's new extremely fancy and intricate cocktails. I had a pretty lady - a marvellous creation of a foaming bathtub with all sorts of delicacies surrounding it, each one placed delicately with tweezers. It was delicious. We chatted for ages - we were the only ones in - and put the world to rights yet again, rolled into a taxi and to bed. The end of a perfect day.  :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 03:27:32 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2016, 06:28:25 PM »
Oh it does sound like you're having a lovely time. :angel:
I had noticed the substandard quality of your photos.......get yourself a nice fake mulberry one and everything will look better!  ;D

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2016, 04:01:02 PM »
Friday 15th April

First of all thanks so much for all your kind  comments. I really appreciate your feedback :-*

Today we awoke to cloudier skies and mossie bites from hell!
I was complacent packing this year and didn't bother with the repellant, thinking that it wouldn't be needed. Oh boy, never again.

Yesterday was a hot one! It was so hot around the pool that I actually swam! It did take me about 30 mins, gingerly dipping my toes in, then inching my calves in, then abandoning the mission, then trying the jacuzzi, then the baby pool then finally going for it...and I did it!!! 12 lengths then had to be rescued with the kiss of life, well a glass of wine really but I was very proud of myself.

Yesterday was also Thursday and what do we kalkaners do on a Thursday - we go to the market! Same old, same old but it has to be done. I was really looking for a phone case but ended up with cumin, lamb spice and 3 DVD's.  ;D oh and stuffed our faces with delicious gozleme too.  :)

As previously mentioned, we relaxed around the pool in the afternoon. Am I the only person with weird ears on this planet? Because try as I may, I cannot find earphones to fit my ears. I spent what seemed like hours, trying them one way, then the other, upside down, inside out until I threw them on the floor in a hissy fit and kind OH rooted through our cases and found me a poxy Thomas cook set that we had had for decades, which did the job perfectly. Trouble was, it was our teenage daughters playlist on shuffle and it made me feel hyper rather than relaxed. Talking of said child, I think I've either brought a vampire or Kevin the teenager with us on holiday. We see her at lunchtime, dragging her weary body to the kitchen in search of sustenance and then again maybe for an hour around the pool  ::)

Last night we ate at the brothers restaurant which is near can can supermarket and it was really good. Traditional food with a posh twist and quite reasonable too. We were quite tired and decided to go home rather than into town and watch one of our new DVD,s. I think I saw the opening credits and that was me gone! What is it about holidays that are so tiring?
So glad we get to do it all again for a few more days though.  :)

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2016, 04:33:22 PM »
Know what you mean about headphones. I watch people listening to music on their I phones looking so cool. Well my headphones simply do not fit my ears even if they've got an L and an R on them and I've got them in the correct ears.
Thanks for a fab report roll on September.

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2016, 06:17:58 PM »
So enjoy reading your reports, hearing all about our favourite place is wonderful, throw in some humour, sunshine, bars visited, restaurants enjoyed - all just perfect. Thank you so much.  :) :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2016, 07:15:07 PM »
I'm with you regards earphones....the most uncomfortable thing ever designed. I tried to wear them in the gym once and they kept falling out, so I had to stop going to the gym!  ;D only joking!
Keep,up the good work Lizilu......I'm loving the consistency, I look on here early evening and there it is....your post!  :laugh:

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Lizilu, just catching up on here, what fab reports as usual, sounds like your all having an amazing time, we are loving the photos.  Re the headphones, yes I totally agree, the most painful uncomfortable things ever, I can never keep them in, we have these ungainly ones that wrap round the ears like a coil, so hence I don't wear them! The market, well it has to be done, and glad you have restocked your spices.  Waiting very patiently to hear re our favourite passtime, (Bags) have you ventured in, or are they not open at yet.  If you do, just be careful and don't order one in every colour and size!!!!!

The Brothers Restaurant sounds fab too, will definitely be giving that a go in the summer.

Enjoy your day and we look forward to reading about your next adventure  :D :D :D

J&B xxx

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2016, 12:40:54 PM »
Please don't get me going on headphones - I'll only end up making people angry with some hard facts about the hardware… :angel:
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2016, 02:53:34 PM »
Saturday 16/04/16

Yesterday was a little bit hazy but very warm. Both OH and I awoke with horrendous mossie bites, well I had two but they were itching horrendously! OH had about 22!!!
As I was making the bed, an enormous mossie flew out from under OH's sheets and I managed to splat it. The little critter was lazy and fat from gorging itself overnight and when I squished it, it looked like there had been a murder. Horrible creatures.

We also awoke to texts from our daughter who is alone at home (eldest is OH's girl so lives with her mum). The freezer was making strange noises so in this day of modern technology, she was able to face time us and show us the problem. So with help from our wonderful neighbour, problem was sorted. It was a build up of ice on the fan apparently.

Breakfast yesterday was in the apartment which is very well equipped and we had OH's speciality dish of Chucky eggs and soldiers. The Turkish eggs are so much richer and tastier than eggs at home but sadly due to being used to our supermarket sterility, I don't relish cleaning the poo off them before boiling. Our daughter has no idea of this as she was still in her bat cave.

We lay around the pool yesterday and chatted to our Yelken neighbours, lovely friendly bunch, tottered off to vita for beer and chips and did little else really. Apart from stocking up on 'OFF' mossie repellant from the supermarket. OH prefixed the 'OFF' with an unmentionable word from the English language as he struggled to stop scratching long enough to pay the bill!  ::)

Last night we walked into town and headed for hunkar and oh it was good and oh I ate far too much as usual. Prices have gone up there but it was still reasonable and delicious. We ended our night in Kaya, playing connect 4 and getting beaten by the boys despite our best efforts of 3 against 1, too tired to continue down the hill for cocktails, but we intend to do a trip down to the harbour tonight.

I'm just looking out onto mouse and snake as I type this, the sea is azure and there's a slight breeze wafting the scents of orange blossom into the apartment. I have a Bacardi on my left hand side and my family to my right and life is good.  :)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2016, 03:05:41 PM »
Life does in fact sound good! Would you believe it was SNOWING when I got up this morning! It didn't amount to much but now it's sunny and freezing.  Watching the webcam earlier, there is definitely a sense that Kalkan is waking fromits winter slumber.  There are handbags ( come on woman, get yourself in Simply Chic, you pass it walking into town for heavens sake) in the display cabinet in the Mulberry shop and they have put the currency exchange board out...3.8 what's all that about!!  There were even some people about.  Looking forward to seeing you guys on there before you head home!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2016, 03:36:21 PM »
Haybo look out for  us about 7.30 ish tonight (Turkish time)! As for simply chic, she's been shut every time I've walked past.  :)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2016, 03:44:05 PM »
will try...message me when you get near! Good luck with the other bag shops.....brain gone dead cant remember name of one opposite Merkez! Nice guy....

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2016, 01:24:42 PM »
Might be BSG.

But then, it's been a few months since I put all the carrier bags in recycling…

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2016, 02:05:50 PM »
Thats the one!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2016, 03:22:36 PM »
Sunday 17/04/16

Hard to believe that we've been in TUrkey over a week now! Amazing how time flies and the days seem so short when you're on holiday.

Yesterday was very warm, with a lovely breeze, a perfect drying day, only I couldn't be bothered to wash. With hindsight I wish I had as today has been extremely muggy and everything feels damp. I've really struggled  to dry our smalls today.  ;D

We breakfasted on the balcony. OH,s turn and he made ham, tomato, feta and onion on crusty bread. It was delicious. 2 coffees later and we were good to go, only again, we couldn't be bothered to go anywhere.  So a morning around the pool it was. We had contemplated having a mooch into town to go and recce the harbour in daylight and catch up on the progress. We will be hiring a car from tomorrow onwards, so we decided to leave it until then.

Before we knew it, it was time for lunch and it was decided that we would dine at cafe vita. Our daughters choice - this was really breakfast for her - I think that her days must really fly by as she only sees a few daylight hours! It fit the bill as usual and my omelette, OH's chicken cheeseburger and daughters tuna sandwich didn't touch the sides. Of course we had to accompany this with their 'world famous chips'. The chips are undeniably good but they do have a few rivals these days. The chips in the brothers restaurant the other night were amazing!

So we schlepped back to the pool for round two of a lazy day. I observed a fellow Yelkener dive gracefully in the pool and swim and float like it was as warm as a bath. I felt such a wimp as it took me all my time just to dip my feet in the baby pool!

Yesterday afternoon was all about the birds and the bees, in every sense of the word. The wasps and bees were terrorising me and my nerves were on edge, only calming down as I watched  the birds dive down to the pool, playfully dipping their wings in the water and flying over to the arbour behind us. As OH gallantly turned our sun beds to follow the sun, we were face on to the arbour and oh my! Those birdies were at it like rabbits! Another first for me on this holiday, explaining to our daughter literally about the birds and the bees! They certainly weren't bashful!  :o

Last night we headed into town, did our duty to the webcam ( we would have waved Haybo but it was really quiet and I was overcome by stage fright  :) and doubled back to Mussakka.
Not to keep harping on about it, but Mehmet was really worried about tourism this year, not just for his business, but for Kalkan in general. We reassured as best we could and told him about some of the cheaper flights and that how Turkey was hopefully being advertised again at home and he was genuinely a little relieved.
Well it was as delicious as ever and the bill certainly didn't seem unreasonable. It was 260 TL for one starter to share, 3 mains, a bottle of rose, soft drinks, water and a beer. Guess what I had?  ??? Yup, a main size (more like man size) portion of the creamy chicken livers which is usually a starter but I love it so much! OH had mixed grill which he said was delicious and batgirl had a mild chicken arrabiata.

We finished the night off at black and gold again. Burak wowed us with his cocktails yet again (the beach and mine and Jayne's nemesis - Capt. Jack sparrow although the man size figure has so far evaded my clutches) and we had fun teaching him some we have at home called franco's. He had never heard of them but mastered them immediately. They are really tricky to assemble, a layer of JD, amaretto and baileys and knocked back like a shot. We have never mastered the layers at home but have had many hours of fun trying to! We also had lots of fun sampling them last night too.

And so we rolled home after another brilliant day and night in our favourite place on earth.  :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 09:33:10 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2016, 04:53:29 PM »
Another great report, making doing nothing sound so very very busy! I heard a rumour Cpt Jack was on the road down to Botanik....maybe cocktails there tonight will reveal his location! My friend loved seeing the webcam...KK excitement is definitely building. 

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2016, 05:55:01 PM »
Sigh........
A few more cocktails and maybe you will be reunited with Captain Jack!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2016, 03:51:16 PM »
Monday 18/04/16

What fabulous weather we are having in Kalkan at the mo. It feels more like the heat of summer, and very different than a week ago when we were freezing in Fethiye.  :o
As I write this, my phone says 22 degrees C, not bad for nearly 5pm on an April afternoon.  8)

Yesterday was another scorcher and I won't bore you with the sunbathing details, other than I nearly fell off my lounger as I started reading my new Airport bargain holiday read. OH and batgirl were rushing me round WHSmiths "you've got your kindle, you don't need any books". Well I know, but I still like a paperback around the pool, otherwise it wouldn't feel like holiday. Anyway, I grabbed the latest Marian Keyes and it was buy one, get one half price. Due to them rushing me so they could get to the posh lounge and enjoy the freebies, I just picked up one off a stand called Maestra that said on the blurb and I quote, 'the talented Mr Ripley meets gone girl in this darkly decadent and compelling new thriller'. This will be a cracker, I thought as I'm partial to a good thriller.
All I can say is it's more like 'sex and the city meets 50 shades of grey in this pure filth and don't touch with a barge pole if you're easily offended'  ;D talk about don't judge a book by its cover. I keep reading another chapter though.  ;)

So yesterday it was tost, toasted for breakfast. I can't make my mind up if I love or hate this sweet bread (a bit like my top shelf book) but our daughter loves it and it was all we had.
Lunch was at the Yelken bistro and I had an amazing salad of grilled halloumi and roast veg. A num num burger for OH and chicken wrap for batgirl. It's a lovely restaurant and I'm sure they will do well this season.

We walked down into town (as we have done every night  :angel:) mainly to try to keep the dreaded pounds off. I mean pounds of unwanted flesh, not money that is. Although the taxi prices are definitely much better this year. Approx 10 TL from town. Just under from taxi rank and just over from the marina. It's a pleasant walk this time of year and my knees have been behaving themselves thank goodness.
There's a new restaurant opening called Porcini, on the corner where the old boat is plonked, just as you get to the steep part of the hill on kalamar road and they are busy painting and generally tittivating it. The smell of paint is definitely in the air right now.
So we stopped off at Kaya for a drink and a chat and carried on down the road to Salonica ( briefly giving the webcam a wink as we sashayed by).
It was very busy at Salonica last night and we were lucky to get a table and I know why. It was fab! Delicious food, good service and very reasonable, approx 150 TL for the 3 of us. There was traditional live music and the ambience was brilliant. Best of all, out of the corner of my eye I spied an old friend, none other than Capt jack sparrow!!!! He was holding a toilet roll holder that said 'toilets' and an arrow so seeing as we needed a tinkle weheaded in his direction..and found ourselves in a fab shop that sold, for want of better words, trinkets and oddities. A real little quirky curiosity shop, so doubled around and guessed that Capt jack was teasing us. We started up the hill but ended up in the restaurant kitchen, definitely not the right way, but eventually found the loos inside the restaurant. Doh! Why didn't we think of that in the first place! And what fantastic toilets they are. Beautifully bedecked in wild flowers and soft hand towels. Honestly it's worth going just for a peek in the gorgeous toilets. You won't be disappointed and it's a restaurant we will definitely visit again.

So after a brilliant meal, we headed off down this gorgeous little street, reminiscent of old town Greece and turkey before the repatriation, to the botanik bar and did no more than climb the treehouse!
It was swaying a bit, but then, so was I and I ran up there like a mountain goat! It was fab! There is even a little bell to summon drinks when you've supped up! Botanik bar is a credit to Namuk. It's a beautiful organic and truly botanical experience. Even infused herbs are used in the cocktails rather than synthetic versions. He was showing us his herbs and describing how he makes his own bitters. He said that if he doesn't do well in the next two months he will have to close so we wished him all the luck in the world and really hope he is there in August. That bar is a labour of love for him and a truly special place. I hope he does well this season.

So today. Well I'm pleased to report that we've finally been for a recce round the harbour and I'll report back tomorrow on that. We were having a chat to Capt Abdi from Piña X and he told us that the boats are going back in tomorrow so hopefully your roving reporter Lizilu20 will be there to witness it and feedback all the action.  :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Samira Deluxe

Views: 5349
By: janeywhit
swimming with fish