Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The secret Kalkan diary of Lizilu20...And then there were 3!  (Read 31202 times)

Offline littlebrowndog

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
We, too, arrived last night with Easyjet but headed straight for Kalkan.  Despite the warning from our taxi driver that rain was on its way we awoke to warm sunshine and blue skies.  Heavenly!  We await your news and Kalkan awaits you. Enjoy your time in Fethiye.

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
Re: The secret Kalkan diary of Lizilu20...And then there were 3!
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2016, 04:53:28 PM »
Sounds like your holiday has got off to a good start.  :)
Whilst you have been looking out over pool and harbour views all I've seen all afternoon is the inside of my loft trying to sort through a sea of black bin bags full of old clothes and goodness knows what? I certainly know where I'd rather been.
Hope the good weather continues. Enjoy! 

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2016, 05:30:28 PM »
When Bri was in hospital in Fethiye spent a lot of time walking up the beautiful front there. The Marina is lovely and always thought of Fethiye as the market and nothing else. Big mistake lovely place. Enjoy.

Offline suziq

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2016, 06:46:17 PM »
That's spooky suziq1 - suziq1 has also spent the weekend in the loft. The mice played havoc there while we spent a lovely 2 months in Kalkan!
Like others we hadn't realised how nice Fethyie was until this year. We loved the flat walk around the coast and there was a lot more buzz in February than in Kalkan.
Mancero is great.  We went there for my birthday this year. The steaks were to fie for. Enjoy Lizilu and keep posting to us poor folks stuck in the loft.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
Oh Lizzie, it sounds like you are having a fabulous time already, it's like we are there with you, sounds idealic! and not Envious in the slightest!!! just keep on posting, and can't wait to hear what you think of Mancero! we loved it and will definitely be returning in July!  :D :D :D :D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2016, 03:30:08 PM »
Holiday reports are like buses....you wait for one for ages then two come along at once.
Really looking forward to hearing about the rest of your stay in Fethiye - we also enjoy our days out there and often talk about staying for a night or two when we are in Kalkan, but never do....maybe one day.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2016, 04:13:50 PM »
Monday 11/04/16

We awoke to a grey dull sky this morning  :( we were expecting this though as I've been following accuweather for a while, but hoped they'd got it wrong. Sadly no, it's been rubbish and very cold and wet when the sun dodged behind the clouds but boiling and burning when it escaped the clouds clutches. We gorged ourselves at breakfast again, wellI did my best as I was somewhat delicate this morning. I even had to wear my sunglasses as the grey light even hurt my eyes. I never learn and I guess you know what's coming next  ::)

Last night we met up with our neighbours from home at Mancero Kitchen. This is a steakhouse on the sea front, partway between Calis beach and Fethiye. It was a good choice, the food was delicious, aged hung meat and so much choice. All tastes were catered for on the menu, not just meat. I can usually tell the quality of the food from the calamari starter which we usually go for.  If its rubbery then it's not a good sign for the rest of the meal, this calamari however melted in the mouth so I had high expectations and was not disappointed. My streak was delicious, perfectly cooked and the Demi glaze sauce was tasty. In fact we all thoroughly enjoyed the meal and it came to 613 TL for 7 of us. I have to say that despite good old Frances Jane from the Fethiye trip advisor forum always saying how expensive Kalkan is compared to. Fethiye, I have to shoot her down on that one as we feel that the prices are comparatively similar. Efes is between 10-12 TL so we shall see. Maybe I'm wrong.
Anyway, the wine and cocktails were flowing, as was my tongue and a jolly good time was had by all. We watched the sun setting across the bay and it was just lovely. How could we refuse an offer for a nightcap back at their apartment? Ok, fast forward to our goodbyes and as I elegantly (in my mind) traversed the pathway with ornamental stones lining the way, those bloody stones seemed to move and zig zag so much that I somehow ended up exclaiming "Shaun I'm falling"! And in the next breath apparently "Shaun I've fallen" and shouting up to our friends "Man down"! So OH and the very concerned taxi guy scooped me up and threw me in the taxi and our daughter hung her head in shame...as usual!  ::) ::)

Today, OH contemplated climbing mount Babadag, but seeing as it was raining he decided  upon an Efes malt instead!  8)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2016, 05:08:46 PM »
Phew......that's the fall out of the way then!  ;D

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
Another fab post Lizzie, keep them coming, but not the falls! sorry to hear of your little slip, but sounds like you had a fab evening at Mancero! just reading about your steaks is making my mouth water!  :D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2016, 06:07:14 PM »
Sounds like you've got off to a typical Lizilu start  ;D ;D ;D I hope there was no lasting damage - to you or the ornamental stones :laugh:
Our three would sympathise with your daughter....I tell them our sole purpose in life is to embarrass them, particularly as we get older and are less worried what people think.
Looking forward to the next post....almost as much as I look forward to a glass of champagne after a long hard week in work.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2016, 06:12:22 PM »
Quite right K4E, kids of any age just don't understand that it is on a parents job description to embarrass them.......it's our primary purpose in life!
Just been looking at the forecast Lizilu, the su is putting his hat back on tomorrow and normal service will be resumed......have fun in the sun!  :laugh:

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2016, 06:34:16 PM »
 :) what a start, the weather sounds uncertain, the food wonderful, the alcohol seems to be flowing all sounds practically perfect! Except the unexpected trip of course - hopefully the only one for this holiday.  Great report, sorry but I did chuckle as you described your little trip! Keep safe, looking forward to hearing all about your adventures.

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2016, 09:37:40 PM »
Oh Lizzie what a giggle! Glad you are ok! Off to the happiest place on earth though tomorrow right? Ooh..just read your mate Jonny Depp has moved to new digs by Salonika...look forward to a picture!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2016, 03:24:02 PM »
Tuesday 12/04/16

And we are here! Yippee  8)

Another feast for breakfast on the beautiful roof terrace, with a view over the marina at the yacht boutique hotel. The sun was shining thankfully after yesterday's atrocious weather and we filled our faces, knowing that the next time we ate we would be in Kalkan.

Yesterday we wandered about aimlessly between the showers. We managed to revisit our old haunts and spent a lovely but cold and breezy afternoon on the harbour, snuggled up in blankets, sipping wine and watching the world go by. We had had a good hike around Fethiye, slipping and sliding in the fish market (the floor was like a river) and snaking around the paspatur, me wanting to peruse every bag shop and OH wanting to peruse the price of Efes!

We got talking to a chap as we passed by his shop who asked us to stop and chat as he wanted to know what was going on at home and why English people did not like Turkey anymore. He sat me down in a plastic chair and before you could blink, another chap arrived armed with apple tea and laden with Turkish delight for us. He was a lovely bloke who was very emotional about all the current issues and gave us such a warm welcome. We felt like we,d made a friend for life by the time we'd finished our tea and put the word to rights.

Last night was fab. The weather wasn't though and we heard a rumour that it was snowing in Olu Deniz! We didn't wander too far and started with a drink at the deep blue bar in the paspatur. We ate in a quirky restaurant called Agora. "There's one of those in Kalkan" we all chirped up. It was up hundreds of steps (or so it seemed) and OH held on to me well, frightened I would clatter down them, and ended up in what seemed like someone's front room. Oh it was lovely and traditional, only Turkish people in there and a violinist and drummer playing tunes from fiddler on the roof. Hang on, fiddler on the roof? Jewish? Yes, Muslims playing Jewish music? So tell me, all those people scaremongering at home and we were Christians being treated like royalty listening to Muslims playing Jewish music. I'm not a bit political but there was definitely some diversity and equality going on in that lovely restaurant last night and we thoroughly enjoyed every minute. We went for a nightcap or two at the deep blue bar and then back to the hotel for our last sleep before Kalkan. There was an abandoned shopping trolley outside Telmessos gold and OH had to restrain me from climbing in as I desperately tried to convince him to push my weary self home!  ;D

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2016, 03:46:52 PM »
Great report Lizzie

re " all those people scaremongering at home and we were Christians being treated like royalty listening to Muslims playing Jewish music. I'm not a bit political but there was definitely some diversity and equality going on "

Could not agree more::   that is the Turkey I have always known,   not the twisted  British Press versions we tend to hear of late:

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
Yes Lizzie what a fab report  :D, and it sounded like a fab farewell evening in Fethiye you all had, and now I (and am sure everyone else reading this) are looking forward to your holiday blog from our favourite place in the sun! xxx  8) 8) 8)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2016, 02:52:32 PM »
Wednesday 13/04/16

And what a beautiful day it is today. The sun is cracking the flags as we say in Lancashire and we've had a lovely lazy day, but let me tell you about yesterday and our transfer to Kalkan.

Alper picked us up from the yacht boutique hotel and transferred us safely here to the apartment. The journey was smooth and lovely to see in the daylight for a change. We drove past fields of Spring flowers and greenhouses bursting with ripe and juicy tomatoes and before we knew it we were hitting the brow of the hill and suddenly, in all its splendour was Kalkan, the sweeping bay we all love, the sight that always generates a lump in my throat and instantly relaxes my anxious muscles. We are home again.

We settled ourselves in, Alper and Halil (or Tommy Lee as we call him as he bears a striking resemblance to Tommy Lee Jones) with no more than a glance, effortlessly chucked our cases on their shoulders and sprinted up the steps and we were here in our lovely home for the next 10 days or so. The apartment is fab, fab, fab (thank you RosiB and yelkenite) and soon we were unpacked and enjoying our first glass of wine on the balcony, all excited about where we were going to eat that night. So many friends to see and places to visit!

We ended up shattered, after too many glasses of wine on that balcony,  at the marina restaurant, eating delicious steaks and catching up with our marina friends. George is absent for now but will be back next week.

We returned, tummies full to busting to some news from home. Our dog has eaten OH's tax return! Apparently he is pining for us and has only eaten a sparrows portion of his doggy food, even turning his nose up at his favourite treats,so it's reassuring he still hates the postman.  ;D

We were weary and  I was sprawled out on the bed, too tired for a shower and counting my bruises form my little 'stumble' the other night when I heard our daughter shout "where's the dirty bag?" (Meaning the bag with dirty washing) "she's in the bedroom"I heard OH reply!!! And we all cracked up, so happy to be home in Kalkan once again.  :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Great report! me and your OH would get along! ;D ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2016, 03:59:10 PM »
Oh, Shaun!!!!
Glad all is going well, Lizzie. Keep having fun! xx

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2016, 04:04:42 PM »
 ;D ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Mini Mee Poolside.JPG

Views: 2969
By: Lindy
Bettona, Italy