Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20 aged 48 3/4!  (Read 19978 times)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20 aged 48 3/4!
« on: March 30, 2014, 05:25:36 PM »
 Saturday March 29th

The preparations have begun!
6 days to Kalkan and counting. The washing basket is groaning with holiday clothes and the first load has gone in and all is well.
The washing machine is making a very strange noise on the spin cycle - building up to a crescendo the likes I can only compare to the front row of a one direction concert I had to endure last year. Probably a hair clip stuck again, never mind I thought, OH will remove offending item and normal service will be resumed. Not on your nelly! The sodding washer has eaten my best knickers which are stuck between the drum and the top of the machine. OH managed to pull the shredded silky remnants out bit by bit but had to remove the door seal, then couldn't get the seal back on. He googled it, you tubed it, but to no avail! It reminded me of a neck collar my uncle Albert used to  wear when he was trying to get out of doing any tasks my auntie set him!
Well the bloody thing would not go back on SO a call to a man that can was in order!
Alan the washer man hummed and ahhed! ,"Well cocker, it's like this, you're just  out of me boundary, so it'll cost ya a bit extra!" At this point I'd have sold him my soul if I'd have had to as that washer is my soul mate! So Alan is booked in for Monday and fingers crossed no other disasters happen on our count down to our much needed and long awaited kalkan adventure.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11930.0
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 05:27:53 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Re: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20 aged 48 3/4!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 05:38:13 PM »
Ah the familiar pre holiday washing machine disaster.....sadly something I know too well!
Lizilu.........at the risk of sounding like a stalker, I am really looking forward to your holiday.....look forward to the reports, first of the year so noressure!  ;D ;D

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 07:25:53 PM »
Me too  ;)

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 07:42:14 PM »
I also will be looking forward to your reports.   What is it with washing machines?   I think they know when you are going on holiday (or possibly just come back) and the washing really really needs to be done.   Strike time, down tools for all washing machines.

Last time this happened and I had to buy a new machine I rediscovered the "joys" of the local launderette.   Took them for granted when I first came to London (long time ago) and certainly didn't even aspire to a washing machine.   I was still grateful there was a launderette within walking distance but I really really appreciated it when I had my new machine installed.

Hope you have a swift and happy outcome to your washing machine problems

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 08:02:01 PM »
Sunday March 30th
Mothering Sunday
British summer time begins

Today was spent shopping for smalls just in case the washer can't be fixed tomorrow! Oh and buying sausages for our friends who live in Kalkan.
Thanks all for your lovely comments. I was just touching up my roots and had a spare 30 mins so I thought I'd start my Kalkan diary. Sometimes the lead up to the hols can be as eventful as the hols themselves! Happy Mother's Day to all. Hope you are all being pampered.  :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 08:09:11 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 08:23:47 PM »
If your washing machine is too expensive to repair or just plain knackered try buying one from AOL (appliances on line) they can deliver and install for you the next day and vanish your old one away!(I'm nothing to do with them other than a satisfied punter ;) )
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 10:20:38 PM »
Lizilou - pre-holiday frenzy is also in full swing in my little Pennines hill village. I am now threaded, waxed, plucked, shaved, polished, exfoliated, bleached and moisturised. Ready for action!! Nearly packed, fly day after tomorrow - in KK for 6 blissful weeks. Bring it on. Look forward to meeting you there!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 11:59:16 PM »
Oh goodness...I hope it all gets fixed for you, Lizilu. A salutary lesson and good advert for the early packers I'd say.....although that's a bit like hearing the words stable horse door and bolted all in the same sentence. Sorry :-[
I don't know what I'm looking forward to most your reports when in Kalkan or your lead-up blog. Something tells me its going to be a bumpy ride  ;D ;D
Christina, I salute your beauty regime....wow. I consider myself high maintenance but you've just put me to shame. I'm usually an eyelash tint only person but last year I pushed the boat out and shellac'd too. It was a one off  :-\
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 09:36:29 PM »
Monday March 31st

4 days to go to K day!
Very rude awakening at 7am with youngest daughter screaming that she'd no PE shorts ready. No darling, that's because the blasted washer ate my smalls and is now in bits on the utility room floor!!!
As I was getting ready for my long day at work, I realised that my scalp was a bit tingly but carried on regardless as you do. Got to work where it was all systems go. You may not think that the end of the financial year was too important in a GP surgery, but believe me it is. The last 2 weeks have been a nightmare of hitting targets, audits and appraisals. I'm really ready for our Kalkan holiday. My list of patients were as long as your arm today and I was feeling really uncomfortable as the hair dye had really irritated my scalp. One of my favourite patients was first on the list, a blood test, nothing too taxing. As I was bent forward , concentrating trying to find a suitable vein she let out a yell, making me jump
"Hey nursey Lizzie (as she always refers to me), I just noticed something!" I was made up - thought she'd noticed my new slimmer bod, since losing 2 stones recently - "bloody hell, you've got dandruff!"
Note to self - add head and shoulders to the holiday list!
My patients are not the most tactful but at least they're honest.
Thanks for the advice BL re the washer but I'm happy to say that ours is fixed and I shall be continuing with the washing tomorrow, then dashing away with the smoothing iron.
Christina - I'm being threaded tomorrow by one of our receptionists who assures me that she's a phantom threader in another life, in between patients, so I'm going to look bonny, a bright red face and a flaky scalp! Wish me luck as the preparations continue...
Ps K4E - don't rub it in, I've learned my lesson  ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 09:43:25 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 08:38:24 AM »
I wasn't going to mention it for fear of putting too much pressure on you - but eyelash extensions have also been administered! Not the Bambi kind. No, nice suble ones which mean I don't have to bother with mascara. Anyhow, alone at my kitchen table this morning, bags all packed, in those anxious couple of hours before a big trip - after all the months of preparation, and yearning to be back in the place that I love - I found myself blubbering like a baby when Oletta Adams came on the iPod. 'I don't care how you get here, just get here if you can.'

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 12:00:54 PM »
OMG eyelash extensions.....a whole new world my stubby ones would appreciate. How long do they last, Christina?
Lizilu the end of year mayhem....I know it well, feel your pain and share your stress. At least you have lovely Kalkan to look forward to in a matter of days, our holiday still feels like a lifetime away :P
The good thing about Head and Shoulders, it will help with the olive flies. I understand it acts like a repellent - so there are some benefits to dandruff after all ;D. More likely if you've dyed your hair you've had a reaction to it and the flakiness is only temporary.
Threading looks so painful...I'm not sure I could go there. Besides the older I get the more my eyebrows are dissappearing - I rarely pluck these days - except for the odd one that follows the Dennis Healey path.

Loving this build up thread...more please Lizilu :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 04:19:02 PM »
Hi everyone, only just caught up on this thread, and sitting here chuckling! Firstly Lizzie, that's hilarious about your patient's comment, am sure Head and Shoulders will do the trick though!Glad that you have your washing machine fixed now.  I have recently had my roots done, but noticed yesterday they are beginning to come through again! Eyebrows threaded yesterday, and my goodness how it hurts, but worth it though.  Am saving my pedicure for when I arrive, am really hoping the Pirat Salon is open, they did an amazing job last year, and so reasonably priced too.  Christina you sound like you are much more prepared than I am, and have a safe journey today, and look forward to catching up next week.  We still haven't packed yet, but everything is on the spare room bed ready to go in the case on Thursday.  Oh we can't wait. 

K4E I agree with you am looking forward to reading Lizzie's posts, and also sharing a glass or 2 of vino with them next week!!! We arrive on Saturday, not that we are counting down or anything!!!

We have been trying to contact Captain Abdi on Pina X to book some trips for the summer, but still haven't got the right email address, but heyho, we will be there in person to book our trips personally in 4 days  :D :D :D :D

Jayne

« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 04:23:48 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 05:27:13 PM »
You lucky things going out this week....
Like you Jayne I get my pedicure in Kalkan - usually day 2 after my Turkish Bath :) If Pirat isn't open I recommend Jasmine on Kalamar Road.
Please can everyone post whilst you are out there - let us know how things (and by things I mean the roads...) are looking, weather, new places...
It's so exciting :laugh: :laugh:

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 05:49:03 PM »
All this talk of washing,packing and holiday grooming is making me very envious of all of you going out for the Easter Hols. First things first, Lizzie, fantastic weight loss, you must be thrilled? Its a lovely feeling when you can rediscover a whole new wardrobe of clothes up in the loft that you can get into again!  :)
 Unfortunately our washing machine decided to die on us a couple of weeks ago, but at least I wasn't under the pressure you were. Don't you just hate paying out for boring, practical things? Just think of all the boat trips and meals in Kalkan that would have paid for.
Christina, need feed back later on re the eyelashes. Something I have thought of but wasn't sure how they would stand up with all the swimming.
Can't wait for holiday reports, so don't be shy all of you and I  promise to return the favour.
Hopefully you can get those contact details Jayne.

To all of you, safe journey and  have a lovely time.  :)

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 08:07:29 PM »
I'm so envious haven't booked yet this year . After last years experience with Brian and his heart attack just can't bring myself to do it. Notice the gorgeous Daybreak at the Nur apartments was vacant for the three weeks in September that I love but haven't heard back from Martyn so guess someone beat us to it. Perhaps it's an omen.
Please everyone have a fantastic time I will be looking for all the reports on my favourite place in the world.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 09:16:34 PM »
Tuesday April 1st

All Fools Day

Awoke today to youngest asking if we could buy square eggs in Kalkan as featured on GMTV. She was not impressed that it was an April fool as she insisted that it must be the truth, "it's on the telly"!
No April fools jokes at work this year as the practice manager, GP and I are still squirming from the stunt we pulled a couple of years ago. It seemed like a laugh at the time, but on reflection I think we were a tad evil. There'd been talk in the media of private companies  taking over GP surgeries so what better than to have Tesco take over ours and have me doing health checks on a Saturday morning, then manning the tills and the receptionists varying their time between the surgery and the fag/fish/deli counters? Each member of staff had a letter in their pigeonhole  and an urgent  meeting was called where the GP and I had a very heated and emotional debate about the ethics of the takeover (which was choreographed of course) but must have done a good job as one receptionists ran out in floods of tears and the other rang her husband who was getting her union on the case!! Oops, think we went a bit too far -  we've not lived it down since and are still apologising for our naughtiness to this day!
I was just in the middle of being threaded - I'm ashamed to say that it was my chin and 'tache, not my eyebrows like any other normal woman - when the bloody fire alarm went off and we had to evacuate the building with me looking very weird while the hunky firemen did their thing. Turns out it was some numpty in another surgery who put an oatmeal heat pack in the microwave and blew it up.  This makes a change from our receptionist who put her super noodles in last year but omitted the water and blew our microwave up!
We called at my mums after school as it's the last chance we will get to see her before Kalkan and Grandma didn't diassapoint. A few pounds for us to have nice meal, some spending money for the girls and a few hundredweight of goodies to scoff on the way there. 3 days to go and it's all going well. I got my epilady out at weekend but can't pluck up the courage to use it yet. The washers just done a cycle (yeah!!) and it's time for a nightcap before I dream of what we going to do on our first day in Kalkan.  ;D :o

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 10:14:18 PM »
Oh this made me laugh...your doctors surgery brought to you today by Tesco!!! (other supermarkets are available ;)) The thing is in Tesco World this idea may have already been discussed as part of their world domination.
I'm probably as excited as you are....if that's possible. You sound really chilled 8)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 08:52:42 AM »
If nothing else you're going to be completely fuzz free by the time you get to Kalkan!  :laugh:
I keep thinking oh I wish I was going away this weekend......but guess what.....I am! We are off to Seville for a few days. I keep forgetting as today is the day we hear if we have jobs in our restructure in work.....it's been so stressful that I have put getting ready to go away.
Saturday morning will see plucking, shaving and explicating frenzy.
Apologies to all our male forum members who thought us ladies were naturally beautiful and smooth!  ;D ;D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 05:26:19 PM »
Lucky you, Babs  :)
Lizilu, you have two days to catch up on since the website has been down...

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 05:50:45 PM »
explicating????

Sorry to be pedantic but what are you explaining or making clear? Did you mean exfoliating? Help me, I have to know?
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal