Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The secret Kalkan diary of Lizilu20 - 50 Shades of May  (Read 16473 times)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
  Friday 11th May 2018

And so the fun begins.

It's been an awful year so far, my lovely Mum sadly passed away in January and Batgirl has not been too well (more on that later) so it's been very stressful of late and I am keeping everything crossed that tomorrow runs smoothly and we arrive in Kalkan as planned for Automan's 50th birthday celebrations.

As usual there's been frantic preparations culminating in me having a fight with the immac or veet as its now known. I wonder if it will be called immac again post Brexit? Anyway the immac/veet won and I may possibly have to wear a sarong for the duration of the holiday as I now sport a beautiful Scarlett rash from groin to mid thigh with the added highlight of a skin peel across my belly crease. Ok enough information I hear you cry  ;D ;D

Anyway this holiday is all about Automan not me (for a change  ::) as he's chosen to spend his 50th in our favourite place and luckily I've been invited along for the ride so let the celebrations begin and let's hope we are not affected by the French air traffic controllers strike that's due to start tomorrow  :o

I don't want to tempt fate but this time tomorrow we should be sat round the pool with Shirl and Bob and a big fat cold Efes. Bring it on...

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13954.0

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
Re: The secret Kalkan diary of Lizilu20 - 50 Shades of May
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 04:22:48 PM »
Where has the time gone? Sat day dreaming about my pending holiday and all of a sudden PompieAlbie and Luzinho have beaten me to it. Hope you have a fabulous holiday and Automan a wonderful birthday.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 04:46:33 PM »
Oh joycie, welcome back...I've missed you...Luzinho..???? ;D ;D :laugh:

Well Luzinho, soooohhh looking forward to your blogs and here's hoping you get into lots of trouble with your partner in crime (sorry Automan and Bob :P) as Kalkan's Ab Fab twosome are back in town..well from tomorrow, French ATC permitting!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 04:49:16 PM by kalkan4eva »
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 05:13:46 PM »
And so the fun begins......Shirl and Lizinho back on the rampage!! Have a brilliant time, look forward to hearing all about your adventures......well those that can shared publicly! As for the others, well you know what to do!!  :laugh:

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 05:27:31 PM »
I know not getting any better am I?

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 05:29:30 PM »
 :-* :-*

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 06:00:18 PM »
OhLizzie! so lovely catching up! where do I start! Lizilu, as you know we can't wait to see you tomorrow and you definitely deserve to enjoy your holiday. Adfab are back and we will be partying, especially for Automan's birthday! Shame you let the cat out of the bag re his birthday surprise though! I'll let you elaborate that one!!  Joycie can't wait to read your blogs from your holiday and Pompeyalbie too  :D :D

Have felt very guilty as been here since Tuesday and been very lazy with my blog, but watch this space will sort it now!  :D :D :D

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 03:21:16 PM »
Sunday 13th May 2018

Well we made it and we are here and it's fabulous!

I was far too excited to sleep on Friday night and managed 30 mins before the alarm rang at the ungodly hour of 1 am.  :o

Manchester airport was a breeze what with speedy security (£3.00 each) airport lounge (dragon pass free with Barclays) and speedy boarding and before we knew it we were settling into our seats and buckling up. Thankfully those French air traffic controllers didn't spoil our fun! We are all out for luxury this holiday so booked extra legroom and it was brilliant. We had wine for breakfast which hit the spot nicely and ensured we caught up on our beauty sleep. Automan drew the short straw and sat next to the randomer while I snuggled up to the window, briefly waking to spot the fijords, the alps and the change of green to brown and a more arid landscape that meant we were well on our way to paradise.

After a smooth transfer from Ege rentals we checked in to the Rhapsody Hotel. We were greeted by Antonia the manager, who showed us to our room. What can I say, we were blown away! Beautiful room  with a wrap around balcony and a floor to ceiling view of the bay from the bed. It's amazing!!

We settled in and parked ourselves down by the pool where we we were soon reunited with Shirl and Bob. Much hugging and kissing and catching up was the order of the afternoon and all too soon it was time to freshen up for our night on the tiles abfab style.  ;D

We met at Johnny's newly refurbished Pirate ship/bar and frolicked with Captain Jack (the mannequin) and had a photoshoot with Johhny while I steered us over the seven seas in search of buried treasure, otherwise known as Efes.  ;D

After finding our sea legs we meandered down town, briefly stopping to hug Guven at Chilies and then captain Abdi, who roared up on his moped, and then to Sade where we had the most delicious steaks and chicken. What a fantastic first night and hopefully the start of many more to come.

The weather is beautiful, just perfect. The kind of weather where your can stay out all day without  burning to a frazzle. I'm sitting here on the balcony, gazing out towards town beach with a Bacardi to my left, Automan to my right and all's well with the world.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 06:19:05 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 04:05:37 PM »
What a perfect start. Have a wonderful holiday I'm sure that you will. Xx

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 08:03:55 PM »
And relax.....sounds wonderful!  :)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 08:56:16 AM »
FAb first few reports Lizzie!  Can't wait to hear about the 50th birthday celebrations - welcome to the club Shaun!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 10:45:33 AM »
Oh how I wish we were looking across the bay from a wrap around balcony...you lucky pair!
Have an amazing stay, enjoy the celebrations and looking forward to hearing more about your stay :)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 10:58:55 AM »
No wonder the French Air traffic controllers didn't upset you if you saw fjords en-route to Dalaman - obviously the rare (and extra cost) extra you paid for with the window seat?

Enjoy (or else!).
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 12:19:05 PM »
I’m not sure what you mean Chris. According to the captain we flew East over Norway/Finland then he told us to look out for the alps (not sure which, think he mentioned Slovenia  ) and then the eastern countries and finally Greece. Maybe it was to do with the strike? Anyway we got here in one piece but about 30 mins later than usual.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 12:25:22 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 07:02:41 AM »
Tuesday 15th May 2018

Another scorcher today by the look of it. The sun is bearing down on my arms as I type and warming my bones nicely and best of all, it's only 8.30 ish in the morning.
I've decided that May is a fab time to visit Kalkan, not as iffy as the weather in April and most businesses, boats, beach clubs and restaurants are now up and running with the exception of a couple. I feel so lucky that we have the chance of 2 summer holidays here this year as we are back again with the girls in August.

The exchange rate is also helping with the finances as all meals out so far have been very reasonable and seem to average around £36.00 for dinner with wine and lunch around £14.00.
We dined at mussakka on Sunday, after spending the day here at the Rhapsody with Bob and Jayne. The pool is very bracing and the rule that it's ok once you're in definitely applies! Just the getting in is the difficult bit. First go the toes, then gingerly up to calves, then out again. Then pluck up a bit more courage and up to nether regions, brrrrrrr, finally submerge bod and swim like hell while trying to breathe and look ladylike at the same time!  ;D

Automan and I were let loose like 2 teenagers on Sunday night. We crammed a full weeks worth of evenings out in one night and tried to visit every bar we could, greedy to be back after a long weary winter at home.  ;)

Yesterday we woke up surprisingly refreshed despite the fact we'd downed enough alcohol to sink captain jacks/Johnny's pirate ship, and decided a change of scenery was the order of the day, so off we traipsed to the Asfiya to meet Bob and Shirl for the day.
Oh we love it there and lounged about like millionaires for the day. Lunch was amazing, a steak wrap for Automan and Chicken ceaser  salad with anchovies for me. Complimentary starter of a crispy garlicky and Dill flavored wrap and was approx 14.00. Not bad for hotel prices, especially there. We snoozed on the big fat comfy loungers all afternoon. Poor Shirl wasn't feeling well so had to go home a little early, hence we were on our own again last night.

We decided to have a walk into town and see what took our fancy. We ended up in Baharat and had a beautiful meal. Automan had steak which was cooked to perfection and I had a trendy Katsu chicken curry. All sauces are unlimited and I took advantage asking for another little pot. Again with wine, water and a shared dessert of cheesecake, the bill came to £38.00, very good value for money.

We finished the evening off at kleo, sitting overlooking the beach and listening to the waves lapping at the shore, sniffing the salty air and counting our lucky stars.

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 07:24:04 AM »
Such a lovely report. When we first came to Kalkan we always came in May and the weather was always generally lovely with just a couple of squalls.
I laughed when you described getting into the pool because I know what you mean. Brian is the most annoying person I know as he always jumps straight in no matter where anyone is sitting and soaks everyone in range. Getting into the sea again straight in no dipping his toes but Kalkan beach is a bit more of  challenge for this method so the slipping and tripping method is used there.
Just a bit of news about my forthcoming hols I've bought a bigger case. There I've said it .

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 10:41:33 AM »
Glad you are enjoying May, Lizilu its a gorgeous time of year if the weather behaves - the old town has a lovely fresh feel to it and everyone is excited for the start of the season. Lots of opening parties too.
The only problem is how cold the sea and the pools are, bracing doesn't even begin to cover it...well done for getting in the pool though, you're braver than me!
Hope Jayne is feeling better today, I bet you miss the Lacey to your Cagney :laugh:

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 11:22:56 AM »
Lizilu - the great circle route from UK (I'm assuming LGW), which is broadly the shortest distance between two points on the globe, and the basis for airline route planning, takes you over Northern France (but more normally Belgium - they're friendlier!), Germany, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Greece and Turkey.(https://www.greatcirclemapper.net/en/great-circle-mapper.html?route=EGKK-LTBS&aircraft=238&speed=)

Even if you went from Edinburgh, you'd do Netherlands, Germany, (maybe Czech Republic), Austria, Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria (possibly Greece), and Turkey (https://www.greatcirclemapper.net/en/great-circle-mapper.html?route=LTBS-EGPH&aircraft=238&speed=).

Going via Norway seems ridiculous to avoid France!  Especially if you consider how tight airlines are regarding fuel prices/weight of aircraft!

Whatever, it's intriguing.

Can you PM me with the flight number and date, so I can investigate?

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 12:22:30 PM »
Oh gosh Chris I’m on my holidays, I haven’t got time for that, what with trying to top my tan up etc  ;D

Oh and never assume anything - we left the ferrets at home so maybe that gives a clue we didn’t fly from LGW! 

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 12:29:01 PM »
My ferret comes with me... I stick it down my trousers ;D >:D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 12:37:13 PM by Blue Lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal