Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20 "2014 Summer Special"  (Read 42969 times)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20 "2014 Summer Special"
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2014, 03:48:04 PM »
Oh no, poor you....  :(
The bad old Turkish Trots. Go and see my best friend in the pharmacy...or send Automan if the trip may be a step too far. He will sort you out with some top pills for that - forget anything you've brought with you from UK the Turkish stuff is miles better. Best stock up now because if one of you gets it the rest of your group will follow :P
Selfishly, I hope it doesn't affect you posting on here.. ;)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2014, 05:24:47 PM »
Bim do a Giant catering pack of bog roll very reasonably >:D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2014, 06:13:09 PM »
Oh Lizzie so sorry to hear you're suffering. :( :( :( Hope you soon feel better. Had a good laugh at the thought of you keeping your head down passing Baharat and the bag shops though!!! Sad about your friend's little girl. There must be someone accountable for that I would have thought. I remember your youngest one being ill on our boat trip in Anil boat as well. Poor girl. Back at the ranch I'm reading the Eye Collector which you recommended - very good I must say!
Get well soon Sxx

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2014, 09:32:38 PM »
A trip to the pharmacy is definitely called....the pills they sell,are amazing....I speak from experience! Hope you feel much better soon Lizilu  :angel:

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2014, 09:57:01 PM »
Sorry to hear you are off colour. Make sure you drink lots of watered get some of those pills down you!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2014, 12:46:29 PM »
Friday 15th August

Thanks so much for all your kind words and concern. I felt absolutely rubbish yesterday. You are all so right when you say nothing from home woks for the Turkish trots and luckily I had bought a job lot of antibiotics at April when we were last here so I was armed and dangerous. I did try boots own take on Imodium too but they were worse than useless  :( I slept most of the day in a delirious state, only waking to run faster than Usain Bolt to the loo. At one point OH became quite worried as he heard screams from our bedroom and according to him I was in a real panic because I could not find my hand  ??? What the hell was that all about ? Apparently I was having hallucinations but it's all very hazy to me. They just left me to it and were on a rota system to chuck a bit of water down my throat every few hours. I must say that the Turkish antibiotics are miracle pills. By 8pmish I was feeling much better and managed to muster up enough energy to slap on a bit of make up and head off down town for dinner.

While I was asleep, OH and our youngest ventured to the market. Impressed with Bob and JAynes Beatspill, OH bought a lovely gold coloured one that works brilliantly so the market stall guy was right. Bob and Jayne did bring him luck. They called in at the Asian Gate and booked for the buffet on Saturday for us and Bob and Jayne and then onto the bakery for more goodies, of which I was unable to sample  :(

So, last night was a bit of a blur to be honest. We managed to get a lovely table near the toilet  ::) at Escudo. I didn't eat much of anything unfortunately, but ordered the Persian lamb and the little bit I tried was delicious. Everyone was very happy with their meal choice and this was a first for us, having never been before. I'd love to do it again when I'm on form as it really was a lovely restaurant. I nursed a glass of wine all night and was relieved when everyone had finished so we could get home. On the way down to escudo, we called in at infinity to get a price for altering my wedding and engagement rings. I was bothered that I'd left it a bit too late for Rami jewellers as they needed to send it away. When the bloke at infinity said he would rezise ( 2 sizes smaller ) and polish clean and re-dip ( they are white gold) for 50 lira, I nearly bit off his hand. I also showed him how, although the rings are meant to fit together, they keep sliding round, "no problem" he said. "We can sort this too if you like, all for same price". What they have done is very cleverly, soldered the back of the 2 rings together and they are now the best they've ever looked and do not slip at all. To say I'm pleased is the understatement of the year. My friend had her rings altered at home recently and it cost her in excess of £100.00. He also said that if I ever want to wear them apart. It will be very easy to undo the solder at any jewellers. I'm absolutely delighted with my rings and the service provided.

So back home relatively early and a DVD was in order - Purge 2. Another bargain as the DVD contained both Purge 1 and 2 and was only 4 lira. We all really enjoyed watching it but I was more than happy when it was time to climb the jolly dancers back up to bed.

WARNING- this next paragraph contains graphic wordery so if squeamish - look away now!!
This morning, I woke up bright as a button and fresh as a daisy with anther observation based on yesterday's clinical findings. The lovely soft bog roll with the peachy/pink pattern, that smells so fragrant is akin to using a razor blade after numerous applications, whereas Andrex washlet's are worth their weight in gold and are as soothing as aloe Vera on frazzled sunburned skin. Make sure you pack some in your cases  ;D ;D :D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 01:07:14 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2014, 06:26:36 PM »
Very glad to hear you are feeling better Lizzie - you took quite a pasting by the sound of it. ::) ??? Hope you had a good day today.  8) 8) 8) Sxx

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2014, 06:30:23 PM »
Gosh, you sounded in a terrible state. Pray you don't come down with it again.  Enjoy Asian gate x

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2014, 10:03:50 PM »
Oh no...not sure an Indian is the best thing to follow Turkish Trots...? You may need to line your stomach with Bombay Sapphire...purely for medicinal purposes, of course :)
Glad you had some magic Turkish pills to help you on the road to recovery...have to say its a while since I've succumbed to this awful thing but you really do lose a day of your holiday to a strange hallucinanigenic existence. I've kept the pills in our first aid kit since then, although they are well out of date now, they are purely for reference purposes and to save time. We will only need to wave the boxes under the pharmacists nose to get a repeat order should it ever happen again. Don't even bother with Imodium but I am about to stock up on the Andrex washlets on your recommendation  :)
Escudo is a really lovely place - shame you weren't feeling too good. Their pomegranate steak is lovely and BH recommends the king prawns here.
Hope you continue to improve and no-one else gets the lurgy

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2014, 07:02:43 AM »
Another great post Lizzie, and so glad you were feeling up to meeting up last night x

Offline lynda

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2014, 09:53:31 AM »
Hi
Could someone tell me the name of these 'magic pills' please and which chemist sells them. I like to be prepared!!!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2014, 02:46:19 PM »
Saturday 16th August.

Yesterday was a very lazy day spent round the pool getting re-aquatinted with my favourite pal Walter Hammock. I'm pleased to report that Walter is still supporting me well and I'm still wallowing in his loving caress. Bob and Jayne have looked after him well over the winter and he's really looking forward to meeting up with their hot pink Waltina.  ;D

I was still not feeling 100% yesterday but much better than Thursday thanks to the magic pills. Lynda, they are called 'Levofloksasin' brand name floxilevo and 'Nifuroksazid' brand name ercefuryl. They are both antibiotics for gastroenteritis type symptoms and you take them both. We got them from the pharmacy near Nur patisserie just up from Kaya and Ali Baba's. So I was treated like the Queen of Kalkan yesterday by my lovely OH. He made me a tiny portion of bacon and tomatoes on crusty bread for my brekkie and did all the washing up all day, while I simply lounged about and did my own thang with Walter. He is very understanding.

Fatoush, the cleaning lady arrived as OH was slaving over a hot stove and looked at him in astonishment, then gave him a round of applause. Soon the villa was looking like a Chinese laundry, with sheets, towels etc hanging from the gazebo and on any available space that was free on the patio. She worked like a trooper and in no time the villa was spick and span again. Luckily she managed to avoid flattening the fly screen this year, much to our relief. There was an extremely long announcement over the tannoys yesterday and I tried to ask fatoush what it meant but my Turkish is poor and Fatoush does not speak English, but she made the 'sign of the cross' a few times so we gathered that it was maybe a religious announcement. The smell of the laundry was divine. How I love the smell of washing on holiday.  :)

Last night we had an aperitif in the Lemon Garden and the girls had frozen watermelon cocktails which tasted delicious but they had not been sieved so they ended up leaving half as it got very tedious for them spitting pips out and the pips clogging their straws up.
We then ate at Kaya restaurant. I only had morina fish skewers as I wanted something light to eat and very nice they were too. OH opting for mixed grill, youngest had duck with pancakes and hoi sin sauce and all the trimmings and other two daughters both had pasta. With 2 rounds of drinks and starters of fish cakes and 'critters' as OH calls them - courgette fritters as they are really known - the bill came to approx 280 TL. Bob and Jayne then came to meet us and we had a walk down to Merkez where we had drinks, and burgers for Bob and JAyne as they hadn't eaten. I managed to stay more or less fully focused but I think the raki I imbibed just took me over the edge and we had to go home as I was a party pooper. I had waves of nausea and hot flushes although I had barely drank any alcohol, one wine, a water and a raki - lame by my standards and the minute we got home I was so bloody hot that I stripped off my linen pants and promptly fell fast asleep in the lounge. Much to my regret.

And so Endeth Lizilu's Friday with another observation:
Never fall asleep in compromising positions, semi naked with a mischievous family. This morning I awoke to photos of me with sesame seed sticks coming out from each nostril and dribble down my chin, which had been what's apped to numerous friends and family including Bob and Jayne. Someday I will learn.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 03:09:46 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline lynda

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2014, 03:27:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. Lizilu.i shall stock up next time we're out and hopefully never have to use them!!

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2014, 04:01:30 PM »
You will be glad to hear the photos haven't reached me .... yet!!! Glad you are on the mend now and hope you enjoy Asian Gate tonight. DO do a pose together at the school website  - I will be watching out. It would be a great laugh. Thanks for the names of the medications - I have written them in the little black moleskine travel book!

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2014, 04:13:17 PM »
We will need to do the webcam thing earlier  in The day cos the sun is behind them....maybe tomorrow?

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2014, 04:20:28 PM »
Another great post Lizzie, and don't forget "it's get your own back time" re the photos!!

See you soon x

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2014, 07:49:34 PM »
Oh Lizilu, poor you :(
You seem to be trying to enjoy yourself despite the turkish trots. You know how it works, it takes a while to get back to 100% but you will get there and hopefully no-one else comes down with it....but you will be able to get your own back on the photo front if they do  >:D
Thanks for posting despite not feeling your best  :-*

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2014, 01:01:17 PM »
Imodium, and their counterparts are purely anti-spasmodics (Loperomide).

They have absolutely no antibiotic qualities at all, in fact they are an opium derivative.  They rely on the body getting rid of the bugs naturally (enough information) and, if the body continues to rid itself of the disposed of bugs which aren't there anymore, to bring the rhythm back to normal.

In short, if the Imodium doesn't work within the time stated on the pack (time and strength dependent), then you have still got the bug, and a visit to the shop with the green cross over the door is required.  It is generally found by travellers (but often disputed by the medical profession) that the over-the-counter Loperamide is largely ineffective when abroad, where bacterial strains are different to those the body is used to.

Alternatively, try killing the bugs with Scotch or something greater than 40% ABV (difficult in Turkey) or the hottest curry you can find!  The latter is a sure fire way of clearing out the system, but not medically advised nor endorsed by the United Nations Chemical Weapons Team.  >:D
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2014, 02:59:52 PM »
Sunday 17th August

Chris_s you are a mine of information  :) thank you  :)

Yesterday was a lovely day and I was feeling much better so off we set to Fener for breakfast. When it came to it, I could not face anything but OH had a full English and all 3 girls had chicken burgers. Now sometimes these burgers are chicken fillets cooked in a curry sauce of and sometimes they are not. We always thought that the chicken sandwich was the one in the curry but it's really pot luck. Luckily the girls love both so it doesn't really matter. We made sure that we got there around 10am ish so we could watch the boats chugging their way off on their day trips. It was really lovely and so relaxing. OH, forced a slice of his toast on me and I topped it with cherry jam, it was delicious and just the right amount for a sensitive tummy. The harbour actually seemed pretty quit and a lot of the boats were gong out quite empty, unless of course they were private hires. Even the Sea Bella only looked to have a handful of people on board. It looked so beautiful, bedecked and adorned with garlands of albeit wilted flowers. Apparently there was a moonlight wedding on board the previous night, so they'd left it with decorations on.

After breakfast we dropped the girls off back a the villa and OH and I went exploring. It was actually lovely to go out, just the two of us, on a road trip up the mountains. Our two eldest are very responsible 17 yr olds so we felt like our youngest,  who is now a teenager would be in safe hands. As our villa is situated just off the Bezirgan road, we thought that it would be a good idea to set off and see where it took us. We ended up doing the loop from Kalkan, past Bezirgan and Islamlar, Akbel and back home again. The scenery was absolutely stunning and we had a wonderful time on our road trip. A bit of an unnerving moment though. We set off behind a cement mixer which slowed to a crawl up the narrow windy mountain road. We stopped to take some photos and ended up behind him again. He then pulled over to buy water. As he got out of his cab, he looked directly at us, so we smiled - he just stared back. We then turned down to Bezirgan, a very steep and narrow track. As it wasn't signposted, we turned round and carried on the main road which took us to another junction, this time signposted. We continued on our way until we came to the old storage houses. As we got out the car we heard a rumble and lo and behold, the cement mixer was coming down the road. He pulled up close to where we'd parked and revved his engine. The driver was in his cab, staring at us. We were alone, it was so quiet and eerie, you could hear a pin drop...he then descended from his cab, all the time looking at us  oh sh*t I said to OH. It's like the movie Duel!!! He started walking towards us then gave us a cheery wave and a smile, turned to his wagon, adjusted something and set off on his merry way again. Phew!!! To say I was relieved was an understatement  :D

We spent a good half an hour or so, exploring and taking photos, then back in the car and on to Islamlar where had a late lunch at Bodamye Tepe. Hasan was so kind, and made me a tiny portion of borek stuffed with spicy sausage, tomato and cheese, one critter, (courgette fritter) and a lovely bowl of cacik. oh had a whopper of a tuna sandwich and we stayed there for an hour or so, enjoying the tranquility and the gentle breeze.

Reluctantly we made our way home and off we set to Asian Gate to meet Bob and JAyne for our evening meal. We had the buffet which was amazing. I only had a tiny portion but was in good spirits and ready to make a night of it. Just my luck, the rest of them tucked in and were so full, we only made it the botanik bar for one drink then had to retire as everyone was shattered and in a soporific state bar me.

Back home and actually watched a documentary on the rise and fall of the Ottoman Empire that our youngest had put on. It was very interesting and full of culture we made our way up the jolly dancers once more.

Yesterday's observation. Do not pile your plate high at the Asian Gate if you intend partying afterwards.  Especially if then you visit the Botanik bar and drink cocktails the size of fishbowls!

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2014, 04:13:57 PM »
Sounds like a great day Lizzie, and probably a bit cooler than down in Kalkan. That experience with the man in the van sounded a bit unnerving! Love that restaurant and the lunch he made for you sounded delicious. The photos looked nice too. Have a good evening. Sxx  :) :) :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan fastfood

Views: 5489
By: Babadag
Gulet