Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20 - 2 Irresponsible Adults at Easter!  (Read 12460 times)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Thursday 13.04.17 Also known as the day with the hangover from hell. :-X

Yesterday started off very dull and blustery but the sun soon burned through the clouds and actually turned out to be the best day weatherwise, so far. Our friends little 4 year old is constantly singing "got the sunshine in my pocket" so we told her to get it out of there and back in the sky and it worked! Sadly not today though. It's a rotten day in more ways than one but I'll save this for tomorrow as there may not be much to write about due to being holed up in the apartment against my will. This is because I'm a bloody good wife and ministering angel too    ::) ;)  :angel:

We decided a good breakfast was the order of the day so off to Kaya for a village breakfast before setting off on our road trip. The breakfast was amazing, one of the best in my opinion and I've had a few being the glutton
I am! The table groaned with goodies, fruit, cheeses, meat, butter, nuts, and about 6 different preserves and jams. Oh it was honestly delicious. It's, making my mouth water just thinking about it.

We then headed off down the D400 towards Patara, the sand dunes being our choice of destination. Our friends have never been there before and wondered where on earth we were taking them as we climbed higher and higher, the road being replaced by the rocky dirt track.
It was worth it to see their faces as they got out of their car, it took their breath away and the children couldn't wait to get their sandals off and sink their feet into warm sand. Up they scampered and their elder girl was cartwheelling down the slopes gracefully, making me wish a. I was 10 again and b. My knees weren't so knackered!
There were a group of kite surfers trying their best to catch the wind to buffer them off the top of the dunes but it was quite comical watching them take a run, then fall flat on their faces as the currents couldn't quite whip their kites into shape.
It was a fabulous hour, the sun was beating down and a warm wind was blowing, I sat myself down on top of one of the 2 dunes and just let my mind drift while taking in the fabulous view of Patara beach. It really is a mystical place. OH is convinced that those dunes are magical and seem to take all the worries and stress from his shoulders!

Our next stop was Kaputas. Again a first for our friends and it made our day to again to see the look on their faces as they peered over the edge and out to sea. We stopped off at the new viewing lay by as you leave  kalkan first. This is just brilliant and well done to the council for providing it. There are picnic tables and chairs and even a little exercise station. While we were there, a guy was furiously power walking on one of those machines, maybe I need to do that to burn off a few extra calories that seem to have deposited around my waist since we arrived. ;D

Last evening we dined at Asian gate and it was as good as ever. Delicious starters and curries and I had my usual, chicken tikka with butter sauce. It's beautiful and I can highly recommend dining here. Incidentally, I  noticed from here that sopranos has now been replaced by yum yum's, not sure who's running it and whether it's open yet or not. Anyway, I digress, back to Asian gate. I'm sorry I can't remember what the bill came to and OH'S in no fit state to ask but it was reasonable and definitely worth trying if you've never been.

After stuffing our faces we decided to pay black and gold a visit and there we will leave today's blog. We had a fantastic night but are sadly paying the price today... 8) 8) 8)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 12:43:25 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Perhaps its a good thing the sun doesnt have its hat on today....two delicate flowers might wilt in the heat  :)
Loving the reports, Lizilu....just wishing my life away until we are there.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Oh Lizzie so loving your reports and hope your both not feeling delicate for too much longer, and can begin the partying again very soon, as you know your both experts at it! Hopefully the weather picks up soon too and hope you manage to have a hot cross bun or two!  ;D ;D :o
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 04:19:52 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
Morning Lizzie
Loving catching up with your holiday reports. Hopefully you are both fully recovered from your antics the other night and are ready to take on Kalkan again. Looks like the sun has got his hat on for the next few so no excuses......get out there and enjoy. Just make sure you report it all back to us  :) :) 

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
Friday 14.04.17      Good Friday

And what a gloriously lovely Good Friday it is compared with yesterday. I just need to write yesterday off. It rained all day long and OH was really out of sorts. He swears that the bailey's in his Franco shot and black and gold was addled. I swear that it's his brain that's addled and possibly he needs to take into consideration that apart from coffee in the morning, every other drink he's chucked down his neck and been laced with alcohol.  ::)
He's now on the wagon!

So, nothing much to talk about from yesterday. I managed to read a book, all the book, I napped, I plucked a few chin hairs, I made my own meals and  OH was ahem, indisposed. In between bouts of bilious activity, he was checking the whites of his eyes for any yellowing  ::) he was convinced the end was nigh. This morning he's bounced back and his eyes are twinkling rather than yellowing so all is good.

I missed Batgirl yesterday. With nothing else to do, not even the washing, as it was pelting down, I couldn't help but keep checking the batcave to see if she'd magically appeared. The other 2 were travelling back home for the holidays and I was so relieved to hear they'd landed home safely. It's fab that they are driving themselves now but I'm always on edge until  I hear they have got from A to B safely.

I forgot to talk about the renovations at kaya yesterday. Wow, it looks amazing. Totally transformed and I'm glad to see Kadir dancing about on his once broken leg too. There is an outdoor seating and dining area with an electric canopy for sun or shade and we had fun watching it in action. Shade for the girls, sun for us, brilliant. The theme seems to be rustic but modern, keeping the theme of the mountain village that kaya is named after and the boys are from.

I must also mention about camlica light, it's sold in Migro's and is the answer to my prayers. It's very similar to supermarket style lemonade at home, it's sugar free and it's fab in gin, vodka and bacardi. I discovered it last year and it solves the problem of full fat tonic. 
When we were at aubergine the other day, we popped over to see 'oliver reed' (sorry don't know his name so it's our little nickname for him) at the supermarket opposite. We had a little chat in broken English and Turkish about 'light' drinks. I asked if he sold camlica, he didn't,  I asked re slimline tonic, 'impossible' he exclaimed. 'Doet coke?' And his face lit up, I was onto a winner. He also threw me a freebie tin of biscuits into the bag as he felt bad he couldn't provide me with everything I desired. I love that little supermarket. He is such a nice bloke.

So today we are out for lunch, the sun is shining, the birds and OH are singing and life is good.  ;D

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Thanks for tip about camlica light..Mrs L likes a dash of lemonade in her wine(lightweight!) and sprite just doesn't cut it! Enjoying your posts  ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
Saturday 15.04.17    Easter Saturday,

What a difference a day makes. The sun shone through the curtains yesterday and instantly lifted my spirits. OH, felt much better although he's still not 100% right so maybe there was more to it than just a hangover, although I do like to tease him.

Yesterday morning was blissful, I sat snuggled on the balcony with my coffee, the sun warming my skin, reading and then blogging while OH had a lie in. Before we knew it, we had to get ready for our lunch out at the Marina. OH'S been longing for fish and chips so the Kapsa lunch was perfect timing. We also saw some old friends there, along with new ones and lunch was delicious. We didn't stay for the full shebang as we had other plans but everyone appeared to be having a good time and there were some fab raffle prizes on offer so I eagerly bought tickets. I haven't heard anything so I'm presuming I was unlucky  :'( it would have been funny though if I had won a prize, to see someone at the yelken steps shouting randomly 'Lizzie' as these were details I left.

After lunch we went on a shopping spree to find OH some new sunglasses as I had unwittingly forgotten to pack some for him and I've never heard the last of it. He knows the script. He gets everything out, I pack. This routine has served us well for the past 18 or so years, but suddenly, it's my fault, that the sunglasses were omitted.  ::)
Anyway he is now the proud owner of a lovely pair of genuine fakes with good lenses and I am looking very glam with my new ray ban readers.  8)

We then paid a visit to some friends who own an apartment up near the school. Oh my words, the views from up there are stunning! Every angle was spectacular, there was a view of the harbour, beach and mouse and snake too. You could even spot the sea beyond the hill that resembles the elephant in the little dip between the peaks. We spent a lovely afternoon on their  balcony until the black clouds rolled in over the hillside and the wind whipped up.
Reluctantly we said our goodbyes and headed off back home. As we arrived back at the yelken we got chatting  to our neighbours who invited us to join them for a glass of wine and suddenly the heavens opened so we moved inside and continued the merriment.  What a fantastic afternoon we had. Such lovely neighbours and we laughed and laughed until the sun practically went down. We will definitely repay the favour in the summer time.  I managed to stagger up the apartment stairs, OH more genteel as he had been pacing himself,  not wanting a  repeat performance of the day before and realised we needed something to eat, so we decided hunkar would be a good choice and it didn't disappoint.
They are trying a new dish for this season and asked OH if he'd like to sample it. Oh my word!!! It was called something along the lines of lamb special skewer and it was out of this world. It came on a spectacular rack with burning charcoal underneath, then a skewer of veg and there resplendent at the top, a skewer of the most succulent and tender lamb fillets. It was so so so delicious. I really hope they continue with this dish. I had a yummy adana kebab and before we left we were given a freebie doggy bag tub of the dellicious red pepper and chilli paste they serve with the comp starters. Turac told me to mix it with eggs in the morning for an omelette.

So that was our good Friday. I was a bit disappointed in myself as at home I would have not eaten any meat but I honestly forgot as it really doesn't seem like Easter out here.

This morning the sun has got its hat on again and it's time to play!!! 

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Oh lizilu, it sounds like you are having such a relaxing time, loving your reports!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
Great report, Lizilu.
I bet it doesnt feel like Easter there, enjoy the sunshine. Its nice weather at home but a rather cool breeze put paid to any sitting out in the garden this afternoon.
Look forward t hearing all about the rest of your stay.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
Sunday 16.04.17   Easter Sunday

Happy Easter everyone!  :)

Thanks for your lovely comments, we are having such a relaxing holiday, it's hard to remember what day it is! Hope you all enjoy your chocolate and eggs today. Our girls will no doubt be eating Easter eggs for breakfast, lunch and dinner today as is the norm, then moan about feeling sick.  ::)

Yesterday was a lovely sunny and warm day, temp on my phone said 23 degrees, today is equally as sunny, in fact hardly a cloud but with a strong breeze so I've had to pop my cardi on as I write this. It really is lovely siting here on the balcony with a cup of coffee gazing over mouse and snake and Kalamar bay. You'll love it when you stay here K4E. 

So, yesterday we had a very lazy day around the pool for the first time. I even very nearly dipped my toe in the pool but thought better of it! This time last year it was so hot I was swimming nearly every day ( apart from when the pump broke) but the weather this year seems more in keeping with the April weather we are used to.
My lovely Automan whipped up chucky eggs and toast like the galloping gourmet and we enjoyed breakfast all fresco.

While we were relaxing at the pool, I popped my new reading sunnies on and heard a crack, the blummin things snapped! I'd only had then on 5 mins, a quick message to Ibo and no problem, he will replace. He was off to Anatalya for the weekend so we scraped ourselves off the sunbeds to get down to the shop before he left.
He's such a lovely bloke, I almost felt sorry to have to take them back, i thimk he was more upset than me and lots of cuddles from me and man hugs with OH seemed to cheer him up although OH was a bit reluctant in that department  ;D
Try as he may, he couldn't find another pair exactly like mine which were a matt brown so I told him not to worry and we would wait until he got back from Anatalya. He insisted I take a pair of black ones until then as a temporary measure as he said he had a duty of care to look after his customers.  Bless him. 
Although we'd eaten a hearty breakfast we were feeling peckish again so we stopped off at Asian Gary for a spot of lunch. OH had a chicken doner in a pitta and I ordered chicken sis with salad, which came with rice, chips and a pitta! So much for a light lunch! We enjoyed a beer each and the grand total of lunch came to 56 lira!!!! How good is that! The food was delicious too.
While we were there, I had a phone call from Ibo asking where we were. Next news, he's there, with a pair of shiny brown specs in his hand. He thought I'd prefer them than the black ones to tide me over until next week. What a star! Only in Turkey can this happen.

We spent the rest of the afternoon by the pool and I can testify that my temp sunny readers are just the job.

We weren't sure what to for the evening as we weren't really hungry so we mooched about in the apartment, with sundowners on the balcony. OH nipped to the supermarket and stocked up on booze as apparently, no booze is being served today with the referendum. We heard a knock on the door and there was bankieken with bagful of goodies for us as they were leaving that evening. Thanks so much and we fully intend to scoff our way through it all.
We decided we would have a mooch to town and see where the mood took us, on the way saying sad goodbyes to bankieken and his lovely family. We will miss you guys  :'(

Off to Kaya it was and what a brilliant night we had. The food was as delicious as usual. Automan plumping for spaghetti bolognese which was made traditionally with a ragu,  rather than the tomatoey sauce we see at home and I had the liver, which is always tender and tasty.
Kadir is missing our girls and asked if we could face time them, so we did! Ha it was funny, 2 of them were at home so he gave them a guided tour of the new restaurant, kitchens and all, we did have a laugh. We then were surprised and delighted to be given a complementary dessert from Isa the young chef, that was absolutely amazing.  It was little parcels of samosas and cheese rolls but stuffed with apricot preserve and banana and honey instead of the traditional savoury fillings, served with 2 chocolate sauces,  one runny and one Nutella style, and ice cream. OMG!! We were stuffed!

We went to bed last night feeling so lucky that we are here and have made such wonderful friends.  Is it any wonder we are all addicted to kalkan?

Today is the referendum and we have been advised just to have a quiet day and see what tonight brings. So we intend to mooch about the pool again and probably dine in kalamar tonight, possibly in the newly opened Yelken. Let's hope whatever happens today, that it is the best that it can be for Turkey and our beloved kalkan. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 08:35:29 AM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
Can you imagine glasses man doing that in the UK? It just wouldn't happen!! Glad Kaya still has the same chef ..he really is talented  ;)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
Oh Lizzie just catching up with your blog! And what a fab read it is, you are having an amazing time and sounds like you have done so much in little over a week!  :D :D :D. So glad Automan is on the mend, all your dining experiences sound wonderful so far. Sorry to hear about your sunglasses but what a fab guy Ibo is, such a nice chap! Anyway enjoy your day and look forward to reading about your next adventures. X

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
Love Ibo, we only ever buy sunglasses from him, have for years. I love the way he tells you which ones are good lenses too....! It looked as though Kaya was trying to compete with Hunkars, so glad to hear there's still proper food on the menu.

It will be a strange day in Kalkan today, I'm sure. I noticed that Marley's changed their British Sunday Lunch special to yesterday because of the alcohol ban today. Hey, you're in Kalkan, you have the views and the weather...enjoy!

Who knows what will happen today, we can only hope.....

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
Monday 17.04.17   Easter Monday

Morning peeps  :) 8)

Well, we thought it was going to be a lovely day weather wise yesterday, but it was teasing us and as the wind whipped up, so did the black clouds over the hillside and the day was doomed.

I'd done some washing so I was praying it wouldn't rain and it didn't thankfully but it was a bit touch and go all day. We were going stir crazy in the apartment so we decided to go out for a run. Now don't get any ideas, I meant a run out in the car, not a jog round Kalkan although our health would have benefited from the latter.  ;D

We parked up at the harbour and went for a stroll up to the pavilion restaurant where we'd spent some good times  last summer, taking advantage of their 'BOGOF' offer on wines and beers. It was sadly desolate with no apparent work being carried out for the season. I had spoken to Caroline from Aubergine the other day to see if they were opening it again but she said it didn't look likely which is disappointing.
I'm unsure of the politics but think that the actual owner wasnt too keen to rent it out again? Indigo looked much the same but did have signs that work is underway. The boats arestill in dry dock, this time last year we watched them going back in the water. Everything seems slower this year. With only a couple of weeks until the start of the season, it's amazing how it will all suddenly come together.

Town was deserted yesterday due to the referendum, with most people up at the school casting their votes. We had a stroll down the harbour and checked out the restaurants. Trio looks amazing with it's refurb. and is open for business as is aubergine and gusto. Yakamoz is surprisingly open too but with only a couple of thrones gracing the patio outside the restaurant, rather than across the road as is usual. Seaport is opening tomorrow ( I think) and as we walked along by kleo and then up by sunset and the fish terrace, there were signs of work happening, although it was deserted.

We then jumped back in the car and headed over to Kisla, somewhere we've never been before. We weaved our way up and down the steep hills and nosied round at the beachclubs. The view from over there is beautiful and we both said that we'd like to stay over in Kisla at some point. We found a steep hill and ascended, and was greeted by a lovely view of the Bezirgan plain, 'what's your name, Bezirgan plain' we both exclaimed in unison (as in the Roxy music song Virginia plain) as we usually do when we pass it on our way up to Adams restaurant.  We really didnt expect to end up there but it was a beautiful scenic little route back to the D400. It felt like we were in the countryside, a million miles away from Kalkan, not just over the hill.

A few sundowners later and we decided to eat at the Yelken as planned. The boys were all crowded around the tv watching the referendum results come in and we felt a bit mean disturbing them as there were no other customers,but they welcomed us with open arms.
We had a beautiful meal with complimentary lavas and dips. We had garlic mushrooms and prawns to start, Automan had the fajitas and I had the creamy garlic chicken. We managed to stuff down a pud to share too, which was scrummy, choc brownie and ice cream. Complimentary brandy and almond liqueur and we were good to go. The bill coming to 205 lira, with wine beer and a 2 bacardi and cokes.
I was very well behaved until I decided to  traverse a step that didn't exist so I tried to turn it it into a  little wiggle and thought I'd got away with it, only for the waiter to say 'Liz, why are you falling over a step that isn't there'?   ::)
So I swept out as elegantly as I could trying to appear very much like the responsible adult I aspire to be.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 02:31:53 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
The wiggle only works if there is music..you can add on air punching to make it look like you are doing a bit of hip hop otherwise it just looks like you need the toilets..The usual thing is to look around and see if you have been clocked by anyone,then glare at the floor as if it was the floors fault.I tend to go for the Norman Wisdom as if I meant it >:D

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
Oh I had high hopes when you said you went for a run!  ;D ;D We've done more exploring of kalkan since we've been visiting in October than we ever did when we visited in August.....quite nice to have the odd cloudy day! Sounds like you're still having fun though and thankfully not being too responsible!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
Tuesday 18.04.17

Thanks for the tip 're the air punch BL, that's definitely going in my repertoire  ;D

Yesterday dawned and was so beautiful if a little hazy, that we took advantage and managed to laze in the sunshine for a couple of hours until it was time to get ready for our lunch up at Uzumlu with Debbie and Ramazan. I very nearly had to cancel as it is now me with the dodgy tummy and it's not alcohol related for a change  ;) I'm blaming the red hot chilli paste given to me by turac that i made a delicious menemen with but who knows.  ??? I managed to hold it together and off we set on the minibus up the winding  mountain track to Uzumlu.

It was a bit of a dicey drive as the tyres skidded on the gravel of the narrow and steep country lanes, dodging chickens  and sheep as we finally arrived in style with a ceremonious  skid announcing our arrival.
We were greeted warmly by Debbie, Ramazan and their dogs and my word, what an amazing view over the tomato laden greenhouses as far as the eye could see to patara and beyond. Apparently on less hazy days, the island of Rhodes can be seen according to Ramazan.
We were ushered  to a beautiful rustic seating area which was bedecked with nibbles and glasses for our alcohol, of which you bring your own. My glass was soon filled and we mingled with the other guests. Enjoying getting to know each other and talking about our love for Kalkan of course.
It was then time for lunch and oh my word, what a lunch it was! Debbie is an amazing chef, home cooked food and gigantic portions. The table groaned with delicious food and I really did my best to do it justice. Thank goodness my tummy held out and I enjoyed every mouth full.
We had  delightful company at our table,  2 friends we already knew and the marvellous Rose who swam across to the islands in lake Windermere as a teenager to impress Eric! There Rose, I did it!
We laughed and chatted and the atmosphere was perfect. Fantastic company, Christina and Kalkan magic were there too among others and it it was a fantastic group of people.

There was a special twist to the day in the shape of 2 handsome young brothers, one of which is the up and coming new singer called Brendan Cleary (google him) who entertained us between unctious courses with his guitar and fantastic voice, singing a mixture of old and new and a lovely duet with his brother. I'm sure he will go far.

All too soon the day came to an end and off we set back on the mini bus to Kalkan, not quite ready to go home yet.

It was decided we'd all  meet up in black and gold to finish the night off but we waited and we waited and sat there and no one turned up, at last another couple who were up there came in and so did some friends so we were no longer 'Billy no mates  ;D and we enjoyed cocktails and beers. I had a lovely champagne and strawberry  cocktail called 'be naughty' but I was a good girl and we didn't stay too long, both shattered after a long day of delicious indulgence.

As we weaved our way up to the taxi rank, we popped into the supermarket to be greeted by a very apologetic Christina who had spotted us in there. It turns out that the rest of the group had only made it as far as Bezirgan's pub, before collapsing in there, so we joined them for a quick catch up before we made our way home. We were absolutely shattered and were in bed for 10pm  :o completely unheard of in the lizilu household! I think I must be turning sensible in my old age!  ???

We were wide awake again at 3 am as a spectacular electrical storm raged above, so we peeped out the window,  too scared to venture ootdoors. The thunder crashed and the lightening lit up our bedroom like car headlights!  So we snuggled up until eventually lulled  back to sleep as the claps of thunder gradually faded into the distance.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
Am just loving your blog Lizzie, yesterday sounded such a fab day and looking at the photos the food looked delicious  :D. SO glad your dodgy tummy didn't prevent you from not going. Glad the sun is shining for you today. Enjoy the rest of your holiday and plenty of days left for a few more blogs!!  :D :D :D

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
Oooo.....I love a storm, but glad business as usual has returned as far as he weather is concerned. Have a good evening!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
Thanks for taking the time to post, Lizilu. Really enjoying reading about your holiday and so far so sensible... :P
The trip up to Uzumlu sounds fab and wait till Brendan is the next Ed Sheeran - that'll be one to tell the grandchildren  :)
I'm not a fan of thunder and lightening storms...would have been hiding in a cupboard until it was over.
Looking forward to the next instalment.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Here comes the boat!

Views: 2500
By: Skunk
Kas