Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The day I went shopping for goats!!  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Helshe

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
The day I went shopping for goats!!
« on: October 14, 2013, 02:14:38 PM »
So you may be aware that Kurban Bayram starts tomorrow until Friday. Tuesday morning is the time for making the sacrifices. It was for this reason that I found myself in a car with 5 others on my way to a mountain village market on the search for the family's sheep and goats - 2 of each. We wandered up and down the market, which was what can be politely described as fragrant examining sheep and goats that were tied onto the back of trucks, or posts in the ground accompanied by a man who appeared to be the sheep and goat consultant ???. This examination Includes checking the size of their shoulders, their backside and their exposed male pride!! There is no dignity for a sheep or a goat
One goat was making a noise that sounded like a man wailing, 'oooohhhhh' he seemed to say as if lamenting his imminent demise. Eventually the required beasts were sourced, who knew how many people it takes to negotiate the price, when all 4 had been rounded up, that were walked back through the market towards the car. I was concerned that they may have been joining us for the return journey, but thankfully, they were loaded onto a trailer that a friend was going to bring back to the village.
We went back and had some lunch and a while later said friend art ivedd with the animals who were secured in the garden. One goat seemed particularly bright and started to try knocking his post out of the ground and when that failed, he tried undoing the rope, he was finally distracted from his quest by food and is still in situ now.
Tomorrow is the day of reckoning for them however and the one thing that will not be missed is the aroma that pervades the house and garden and can be detected from down the street!!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11682.0

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
Re: The day I went shopping for goats!!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 02:42:06 PM »
According to KTLN:
Bank and public office closures
All the banks, Kalkan Belediye, and some other offices, will be closed as follows:•Monday 14th October (eve of Kurban Bayram) - closed at lunch time (half day)
•Tuesday 15th October - closed all day
•Wednesday 16th October - closed all day
•Thursday 17th October - closed all day
•Friday 18th October - closed all day
•Saturday & Sunday 19th & 20th October - closed all weekend
•Monday 21st October - banks reopen as normal

The PTT (post office) is closed all week except for Monday morning - closing at 13.00.

Some supermarkets may decide to close - for example, Bim will be closed on Tuesday and Wednesday.  We understand that Yalı supermarket will be open as usual.

The Medical Centre on Kalamar Road will be closed all week.  In an emergency you should call 112.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
Re: The day I went shopping for goats!!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 07:28:34 AM »
The goats are now in the Belediye car park awaiting their fate, not the best place to be passing this morning re aroma etc.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Boats, goats, a blue lizard and a cat

Started by Lindy on Holiday Reports and Reviews

5 Replies
Last post September 18, 2010, 10:17:13 AM
by cleworthallray
xx
Shopping

Started by sidari on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

6 Replies
Last post August 04, 2016, 05:38:36 PM
by sidari
xx
Shopping

Started by cjm on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post July 08, 2008, 06:44:36 PM
by cjm
recycled
Food shopping!

Started by bex on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

20 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 10:18:09 AM
by DRBD

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

collage

Views: 2637
By: headroom
Xanthos Theatre