Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Clock is Counting Down  (Read 9563 times)

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
The Clock is Counting Down
« on: October 10, 2013, 06:09:00 PM »
Well it is now only 7 days to go, sad that I am I used Planefinder to track today's TCX1642 from Gatwick to Dalaman, nice to see where you fly over on the way. I'm in the process of loading up my video player with American TV drama to watch on the flights, cd's are burnt to listen to in the hire car. With 4 of us this time I'll have to work out whether to use a suitcase or my usual holdall which always has to be checked in at wide luggage. The car we've booked is supposed to have a book big enough for 4 bags.
I've got a rough game plan for our week with our Kalkan virgin friends,including Yildiz boat trip, a trip to Meis, Fethiye market , maybe take them to the gorge, Xanthos & Patara. Good job I know my way around now. Fine dining wise Janet has bagged Alternatif & Agora while Adem's is a must, I have some flower seeds for him to sow on the front so if next year you spot an English country garden blooming it'll be my fault. We'll probably go to Moussaka this time as we didn't go there in May, I'll be looking for somewhere we haven't been before as well. A couple of shaves in the shack is a must along with at least 1 Turkish bath at Atlantis, I need to work on Brenda to try one as well.
I'll be taking the IPad to do some reports so beware, they won't be as eloquent as Antlers but hopefully they'll be of use to others.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11676.0

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: The Clock is Counting Down
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 06:29:20 PM »
I am sure you will have a brilliant time and your pals are in for a treat!!American TV drama? some good stuff about at the mo...."The Blacklist"..."Bates Motel"..."Graceland".."Low Winter Sun" and starting last night "Sleepy Hollow"...Don't forget the 3 series of "Homeland" too. Hope the weather holds for you all and I look forward to seeing your reports....
Lizard...one footy fan to another ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 07:28:58 PM »
The joys of EZTV means I've seen most of them, I agree Blacklist is showing lots of potential, love the idea of Sleepy Hollow. Our friends are more excited than us, we've sold them the place so much.
Don't mention the football , I left it too late to book the villa & the only week we get means I miss 2 home games!!!!

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 09:25:55 PM »
Think saklikent might be worth missing unless you are just going to visit the gorge but not walk up it. The water is very high, chest high all the way,  and very cold and unless you are a fitness freak it's very challenging.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 01:55:17 PM »
Thanks or the advice, we've been up there before & walked part of it so probably won't go again, I'm still undecided about Meis, is there enough to keep you occupied if you don't go up to the castle? I'm a bir concerned about wandering around for a time, having lunch then just waiting for a couple of hours for the boat. Is there anywhere east of Kas worth a drive to see? We did Kelkova last time and are having a day out on a boat.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 08:48:38 PM »
Well it's nearly time, a busy day today, spent the day over on the Isle of Wight catching up with second cousins who I haven't seen since their mum's funeral earlier this year. It absolutely chucked it down in the morning still it was nice to catch up over a pub lunch up on the downs.
Home to pack the cases ready for the off at 3 in the morning. Now trying to finish my Graham Hurley novel so I can take a new book to read on holiday. Looking at the weather forecast I think I'd better pack some wellies, it looks like we could be in for some cracking thunderstorms tomorrow, still the pass & the sun comes out. Time to put the IPad on charge then in bed by 10. Hopefully I'll be writing up our adventures if I can get some free wifi.  :D

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 08:50:46 AM »
Pompeyalbie, have a great time, just wanted to say I would definitely recommend Meis, we went in August, and it was absolutely beautiful, well worth the visit, and will return there again next year.

Jayne
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 02:15:08 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 12:25:50 PM »
Yes, agree with Bob and Jayne, its well worth a visit. Just choose a nice day as I can imagine choppy seas would not be a pleasant experience. There are lovely churches, shops and tavernas - if you like taking photographs, as I do, its a photographer's dream - so much picture postcard stuff. A walk up to the castle is a "must-do" if you feel up to it.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 02:24:48 PM »
K4E, I am just sitting at my desk day dreaming about Meis now, when we were there, it was so hot, that after lunch I just launched myself into the water to cool down just along from the restaurant where we had eaten lunch! I must have looked at sight, but it was absolutely beautiful swimming in the harbour!
 :) :D ;D
Jayne

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 09:32:57 PM »
Ha ha, Jayne. Great minds think alike. We have a picture of me in the harbour sea right next to a massive cruise ship. We last went in July 2009 and it was so hot our girls just got sun beds in the hotel on the far side and stayed there all day......dipping in and out of the sea.
Would love to be there now  :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 09:35:46 PM »
Sorry K4E just seen your post, yes it was hilarious, I literally took off my dress, obviously swim wear underneath, and jumped in, leaving Bob on the quay looking in shock shaking his head! especially as I had drunk best part of a bottle of wine with my lunch!!!
Yes so wish we were there now! Currently on count down now for our Easter and summer fix of Kalkan!

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 06:54:41 AM »
Well we arrived in a deluge, ahead of time due to a tail wind so the villa wasn't ready. Decided to go down to town for a coffee at Fener, what a mistake. Cardiac hill was flowing like a mountain stream heading for the harbour. When we got there most places were closed up due to the rain but managed a drink & a snack at Mussakka. When we headed back the car couldn't cope with the lack of traction so I left behind a lot of tyre due to wheel spin. I wasn't the only one though.
Got back and settled in to the villa, wifi is flakey so reports will be as & when. We've begun adopted by 4 cats so far, a tiny black one who makes herself at home, a pure white one, a light grey tortoiseshell and a mixture who visited us last time we were here. In fact the mixture leapt up on to Janet's lap & settled down as soon as we arrived & was soaking wet.
Dinner first night was at Alternatif which as usual was very nice, it had been a long day so we weren't really hungry I had a seafood casserole while the others went for various chicken dishes.  Spoke to Adem about going out on Yildiz but all the boats were in for a few days either due to the weather or the religious festival.
Friday was a lot brighter so we left Matt up on the roof trying to catch the sun to warm up his bones while we took Brenda to see the town. Stopped off at Angora for a chat & a coffee while booking up for Saturday night only after Janet had been in the dress shop opposite & bought a cardigan/dress (it's started), made our way down to the harbour via the glass shop where it was Brenda's turn to shop. Eventually ended up a Fener for lunch in time to catch the end of the Mouse Island swim. Well done to the 8 or 9 who do it. Made our way back up the town via her favorite Miss Silver to see Ozay and drop off his bourbon & aftershave we brought over for him. Afternoon spent by the pool & I had my first swim. More visits from the cats. I went for a shave at the shack whilst Matt had a trim, due to the queue & the time they spend we were in the naughty books as we were late for dinner.
Dinner was out at Adem's, once again we were made very welcome & all had lovely meals, I'd been going on about the lamb shanks since we decided to come so 3of us had them while Janet went for chicken again. They weren't disappointed it was glorious as usual, spent ages talking to Adam about his garden as M & B are both keen gardeners. His girls are growing up to be beautiful young ladies.
The sun is out this morning but a bit windy, not sure what today will bring. Will post again soon.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 09:01:49 AM »
Saturday and once again the sun was out although a little bit blowy. The morning was spent at Xanthos, it was nice to see they've done a lot more excavations since we were last there. Wandering over to the city walls overlooking the river we came across 4 goats who decided they wanted to play follow the leader and everywhere we went they followed. If we dawdled a little nudge with the horns moved us along. Back to Fener for a spot of lunch again which as always was filling and tasty. Next it was off to catch Adem to book a trip on Yildiz, unfortunately Sunday was full so we opted for Monday which just happens to be Trafalgar Day so Matt being an old sailor will be up the bow looking for Frenchies to sink.
The afternoon was spent lazing in the sunshine by the pool with a cool Efes while the girls supped a Rose we'd bought.
Dinner was up on the terrace at Agora, fish seemed the choice of everyone else, But I opted for the avocado& apricot chicken which was delicious followed by a fresh fruit plate. We were treated to a spectacular firework display over the harbour and you could hear live music coming from somewhere. I don't know if it was related to the wedding which was carried out at the harbour earlier.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 07:55:23 AM »
Loving your reports, Pompeyalbie. Keep them coming. Is Zach still at Agora?
How much is still open? Palm Beach?
 :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 10:16:18 AM »
Glad your weather has improved Pompeyalbie..i'm just down the road from you at home and it is foul here!!  hayling island got hit by a tornado yesterday? whats that all about??? :o :o :o   Roll on June!

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 10:28:10 AM »
Loved Agora. Think we met Zac climbing the steps after his daily swim. He invited us for a coffee whilst he ate his breakfast and regaled us with tales of his life. So hope we can return to Kalkan,

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 07:19:52 AM »
Today we went all Small Faces and had a Lazy Sunday. The day started by calling in at Merkez for a frozen lemonade while hooking up to the wifi to post yesterday's report, then a wander around town looking for a plate to match one thatBrenda's daughter bought here a few years ago. We then went down to the harbour and walked around the other side out to the red lighthouse, it's the first time I've been over there and it's a lovely view back across the water to town. Once again it was lunch at Fener where we enjoyed salads, toasted sandwiches & a prawn sandwich between us, it's becoming a favourite lunchtime spot with everyone. Onwards & upwards to Belma Boutique to pick up a coat that Brenda had reserved than another chat with the lads at Agora. The usual afternoon by the pool with visits from 4 different cats who pop in for some milk. The black "devil" kitten seems to have taken a shine to Janet as it always makes for her lap even if she's lying on a sun bed.
We made no plans for dinner tonight so wandered down and the ladies decided we should stop for a bit of people watching at Touch, which just happens to be the place they hit the cocktails when we were at the barbers, I think a waiter has some fans. We eventually decided on eating at Gourmet, which was another first for Janet & me. A very international menu which was a shame for me as I always like to try Turkish dishes. I decided on Harem Sultan a beef based dish which was nice enough but Janet had a nice steak, Matt had fish while Brenda went with a chicken dish, everyone enjoyed their meals which is the object of the exercise. The customer with the clay put in flames which was broken to produce his meal was the centre of attention.
Walking back we found the estate agent who has the villa opposite for sale so I was looking at his board on the wall at the properties shuffling sideways to look at the next one and didn't realise there was a step and did a Del Boy, one minute you are there the next you are on the floor, luckily I kept my head from hitting the floor but have bruised my right ankle, oops what a fool. It is quite uncomfortable this morning and going purple but that'll teach me to look what I'm doing.
Out on Yildiz today so not a lot of walking or driving to do. I doubt we will eat tonight as the food on the boat is sufficient.
Being Trafalgar Day Monday had to be the boat trip with Adem on Yildiz 3, this time we went in reverse to normal starting at Firmanz bay, I don't need to tell you all we had a superb day with excellent food. I have to say I swam at every stop and have never known the sea to be so warm, it must have been a fabulous summer to warm the sea up that much. It was so calm as well. Needless to say we didn't need to go out for dinner last night as we were all wiped out with the sun and "busy" day at sea.. My ankle is feeling a bit better after all that swimming but now I'm a bit pink on my back & face.
Tuesday was market day at Fethiye so I did my usual and drove to Calis Beach & got the water taxi across the harbour. Needless to say there was the usual traffic police check which I managed to pass without arrest. They were repainting the white lines on the D400 so it was traffic cone Central.  Matt loves cooking so a stop at the spices stalls were a must & he left with a mixture of various herbs including saffron & one which would interest HM&C until they smelt it. I had orders from the office for black tea & apple tea so they were duly bought at decent prices. Janet only bought a thicker woollen pashmina type thing for the winter, I promised to lend her my Panama hat so she can go to a fancy dress as Clint Eastwood in a spaghetti western. We had a wander over to the town and had a look in the jewellers she handed over the wad of £20 notes last time, luckily nothing took her fancy this time either that or nothing she could afford. Her birthday present from me had already been agreed with necklace & bracelet set from MissSilver. Another bash for the credit card.
Tonight dinner is at the Small House, it's our second visit there over the last couple of trips and I have to say both times the food has been superb. I love the intimacy of it, Can is an excellent host and acquaints himself with every customer, Janet & I had cheese boreks, of which there were 7!!!!, Brenda had 4 spinach boreks while Matt went for lentil soup, for mains everyone had sea whale, sorry sea bass but they were enormous except me & I had the mixed fish casserole which I have to say was better than the same dish I had on Thursday at Alternatif, so many flavours & delicious tender fish. The sweet was a complimentary ice cream with home made plum sauce. There were also complimentary Meze & bread. The Bill came to less than 200tl and included 3 beers & a bottle of Angora white wine. Great value for money. We came straight home afterwards because Janet had one of her dizzy turns just as we finished our meal, not enough to drink over the last 24 hours I think in this heat. So a pint of water & off to bed while I keep in touch with Pompey via text with my son at a rain soaked Fratton Park.
Internet has been poor at the villa this week so behind with the news as TV only has BBC World News which gives no English news, without the web I feel cut off, tried logging on to Merkez tonight but they must have changed the password hence the delay in posing my blogs & catching up with others comments.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 10:54:42 AM »
Pompeyalbie, fabulous report, thank you, cheered up my morning sitting at my desk at work! Been to Fener lots of times and we have never actually walked out to the lighthouse, but say every time we must do it!

Jayne

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 01:31:26 PM »
thanks for posting, Pompeyalbie, really enjoying your reports back here in rain-soaked UK. It'll be more than 7 months until we are back there again and I need these regular fixes to keep me going until then :)

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 02:46:05 PM »
Just in case you didn't know the Pompey match was cancelled at half time 1-1 the ground was flooded the players tunnel looked like a swimming pool...... ;D ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
the EK clock.

Started by fidimax on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 03:35:34 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Counting down

Started by Automan on Holiday Reports and Reviews

232 Replies
Last post September 16, 2013, 07:58:53 PM
by Babs
recycled
Counting down the days!

Started by Pandora on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 06:50:14 PM
by Pandora
xx
Counting down the days.............

Started by jooles168 on General Discussion

28 Replies
Last post June 04, 2013, 07:36:01 AM
by LancashireLass

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal