Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Tales of the Expected  (Read 6693 times)

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Tales of the Expected
« on: May 03, 2014, 09:10:38 AM »

We are finally here in Kalkan, met up with Songul, the site manager, and got the key to the villa which is exactly the same as we left it in October except they've cut back the trees around the pool. There are a couple of new villas sprung up opposite which look vey nice. Once unpacked it was down to Yali to get some essentials, Efes, milk, bread, butter, jam, water & soft toilet paper (Janet does have her standards. The traffic seems a bit manic with loads of double parking going on & encountered our first dog of the week having a snooze in the middle of the road.
After freshing up we made our way down to the old town get some dinner, I think it will look nice when they hose down all the sand and it looks finished. We gave a wave to the Moonlight webcam as we wandered by on the new wider pavement. Moonlight not open but you can see their space is vastly reduced, Touch is still doing refurb work but they won't have any room outside for chairs, the barber was shaving a customer so he's open for business. Fist stop was for a chat with Ozay at her favourite jeweller and she's already spotted a necklace she likes, oh dear better hide the credit cards, the we wandered down to the harbour along the easily manageable street there's no risk of slipping now. Got a wave and hello from the lads in Escudo who were doing some work outside. I amazes me how they all remember you considering the amount of people they must see a year. Down at the harbour it is very much work in progress and a bit of a building site, Fener are getting there with a few customers already enjoying the food. We made our way up to Bella's Butiq so she could look for a dress fro Ascot and has spotted something she fancies but whether they have her size is another matter. Next it was deciding whether to eat at Agora or Alternatif, it's always her choice for first night, she decided on Alternatifas we've always had nice meals there. Mustafa was as busy as ever, he never stops, it's 25 years now he's been there. In the winter he built a new villa to add to his other properties, I thought in the winter they rested but not him. Right food time, I went for the Sigara borek's , 3 large cheese boreks, while Janet went for the Prawn Pastries, 3 large prawn and cheese boreks, they were huge and more than enough, to wash it down I had to have my first Efes whilst Janet went for a tonic & Gin, that like a G&T but there's more gin than tonight. Mains I decided on the Alternatif Special fish casserole while Janet went for Chicken Hemess which she liked before. Neither of us managed to empty plates as we were both very tired & I was feeling pretty rough but there was no complaints about the food as it was as delicious as always. Seeing as she'd polished of the T&C she had a glass of Rose which seemed to be going down well as we sat chatting to Mustafa & a couple from Reading who were giving me stick as it was quite chilly when the sun went down & I was wearing a nice orange sparkly pashmina they gave me to wear. Suddenly 2 more drinks appear from Mustafa and I'm thinking "how am I going to get her up the hill after 2 wines & a T &G?" Still we managed it. One thing that does concern me about the new surfaces is that traffic seems to be using the road more and parking on both sides of the street going down the road opposite Moonlight, surely they must close the road to traffic in the evenings with people milling about?
Not sure what Saturday will bring but I'll continue this tomorrow.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12029.0

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: Tales of the Expected
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 10:29:54 AM »
thanks for posting, Pompeyalbie. I love that your shopping list to Yali had Efes first on the list....that's just as BH would have it :) Sounds like you had a nice first evening and lets hope they sort out the pedestrianisation of the village during the evening pretty soon. Keep us updated with your stay whenever you can..
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 12:13:31 PM »
I love that Janet's drink kept changing initials!  :laugh: have fun!

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 02:18:48 PM »

Saturday morning we awoke to brilliant sunshine & not a could in the sky so we wandered down to the old town to just chill out & do a few things. Managed to park at the bottom of the steps which look very colourful then wandered along the harbour where we found Osman & Adem getting the boats ready so booked up for Adem's maiden voyage of the season on Monday. Next stop was Gozo the opticians to get the arm on my glasses fixed and as Janet hasn't had a new pair of reading glasses for 2 years she'd better get them tested and just happened to spot a frame she liked, not to be outdone I had a new pair of Rayban framed glasses as Specsavers had reminded me only last week I was due a review. He took great pride in showing us his new Harley Davidson bike which is pride & joy. Next stop was the "copy" watch shop to get the glass on one of my watches repaired. On to Merkez for a fruit juice & access to their wifi, where I posted the last 2 messages. Just opposite the Ozul(?) restaurant was being rebadged as Paprika but it is the same chef. Carrying on up the road we hit our next stop MissSilver to deliver Ozay his duty free Jack Daniels. Working our way back down it was into Belma's Butik wher Janet found a dress she liked so that was that job out of the way, no more dress shops for me

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 02:22:05 PM »
Babs it 's T & G because the seem to thing tonic is the spirit & gin is the additive & is on a ratio of 3 parts Gin 1 part tonic, no wonder She had to lean on me all the way back to the car ;D

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 02:43:56 PM »
Keep them coming albie!!    I always thought a maiden voyage was a boat load of women!!! :o :o
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 02:45:55 PM »
thanks for keeping us updated, Pompeyalbie. I think it's Ozalp that has renamed its restaurant Paprika - the bar downstairs will have a different name. We had a few nights here last year - very reasonable prices and an excellent viewing position. We will be having more evenings here if Moonlight is severely curtailed.
If you think you've seen the last of Belma's, I think you might be in danger of over-optimisim :-X
Keep posting, you are keeping us all entertained back here in UK.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 06:19:51 AM »
Sunday was a bit wild weather wise, trees are swaying and an overcast sky.We decided to carry on with our plans to visit Myra. I did my good deed for the day by picking up a hitch hiker at the edge of town, a Swiss lady who is walking the Lycian Way and wanted a lift to the next point rather than walking alongside the D400, our reward was 2 pieces of Swiss chocolate. We stopped of at Adam's for a drink & a chat while booking for dinner on Sunday night. He is looking tired having been open all winter & trade being slack. He is building a house out in Bezigan which is a 3 year project for him. I love the D400 from Kalkan to Kas, all those bends and sea views always reminds me of the Italian Job. The are some steep climbs once you pass Kas, on a clear day I bet the views are amazing. Arriving at Demre we went to St Nicholas museum to see Santa, I couldn't believe hoe commercial it was with all the souvenir shops. The church itself was beautiful , the wall paintings to be in that condition after thousands of years is just wow, not something we have at home. Then on to Myra, once again tacky souvenir shops reminded me of outside Ephasus. I was a little disappointed as ancient cities go as apart from the theatre & the buildings in the cliffs there was nothing else to explore or did I miss it? Patara & Xanthos for me were better. Luckily the weather kept dry & warm if overcast. Got back to the villa for a nice cup of tea before the rain started to fall, quite relaxing watching the raindrops hit the pool & then the sun comes out.
Dinner was at Adam's, he loves his garden so we brought him over a couple of boxes of flower seeds plus some from our friends who came with us last October.Apart from us there was just a party of 4 , because it was quite windy we sat inside. I was feeling quite hungry so decided to have a starter of calamari which were tender rings with a dipping sauce, sometimes calamari can be quite chewy but this was really nice, janet opted for just a main as she was having the lamb shank. Over the years we've been coming here she's never tried it, I opted for lamb chops which I haven't seen on a menu before, as usual the lamb shank arrived ablaze and she said the meat fell off the bone & was really tender. To finish we shared a fruit cocktail. It was a good evening as the other party were really friendly and we had a good laugh.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 07:43:23 AM »
Thanks for posting Pompeyalbie, just reading your posts and they certainly have brightened up my day! even though only 7am here.  Roll on July I am thinking! If you do go back to Adam's for a meal, I would highly recommend his Shrimp Casserole, we went twice in April and I opted for that on both occasions, it is superb! OH had the lamb shank too and said it was delicious.  Enjoy the rest of your holiday, and look forward to reading your next adventure.  :)

Jayne

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 04:45:24 PM »
Sounds like you're having a great time, despite the inclement weather. We love it at Adems too and can't wait to visit again in august. Very much enjoying your posts, thanks for taking the time to report back.  8)

Offline suziq

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 06:28:11 PM »
Great posts as always. It's almost as good as being there when people manage to describe things as we remember and love them. Adems is a favourite for us too. We have never had dinner there but many a fabulous lunch and lost afternoon. Enjoy the rest of your holiday and keep posting.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 06:26:43 AM »
Monday as Seasick said was a bit of a damp squid, do they say damp calamari out here? We were due to go out with Adem on Yildiz today but the weather put paid to that, hopefully Wednesday will be better. We retired to Fener for eggs on to at & a cup of tea to decide what to do with the rest of the day. After dumping our bags back in the car we called in in the art exhibition in the culture centre, a young girl from Antalya's first solo exhibition and we both liked 1 picture in particular so we decided to have a think about it. We later went back into town for a Jedi juice at Merkez and to watch the world go by for a while then it opened up quite heavily so sheltering under different awning we. Got as far as her favourite shop so I used my waiting time to look at Sade's menu. This was the first place we ate at on our first visit back in May 2012, they'd only been open a few weeks and we haven't been back since so I made an executive decision we'd eat there tonight. By the time we'd got to the car it had stopped so as "excursion advisor" I said "let's go to Bezirgan", Janet never had a clue where it was, mind you nor did I, just knew it was behind the mountain. So I followed the road up and hoped I'd see a sign. There are some lovely views on that road, shame it was grey. After a few hairy climbs and a tight hairpin bend I saw a village on a fertile plain so thought that must be it. We stopped at the mosque but were unsure whether we could just go in & Janet never had a scarf to cover her hair so we followed the road until we found the old store houses. It was so peaceful there, just the birds singing, it will be terrible if they go ahead with the mining. The rain came back so we made our way back to the villa and spent the afternoon lazing around reading.
On the way down to dinner I'd decided that I'd have a shave so we stopped off at the "shack" & joined the queue, then a voice said "you'd better get your hair cut while you are at it"

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 04:56:23 PM »
Strange it only did part of Monday's report, here's the rest.
I'd only ever had the same person cut my hair for years & now I'm letting a Turkish barber attack it!!! The shave was masterfully done then the scissors came out & off he went. I'm just about to get up once he'd finished but I was wrong it was head in the sink time, it was never like this when mum took you to the barbers as a kid. After the customary massage and fire treatment I felt a million dollars and all for 30TL  less than £9 it was well worth the extra tip I gave him.
I'm so glad we booked at Sade it was packed, they must have turned away 7 requests for tables it is that popular. Janet decided to forego a starter again but my diet starts next week so I opted for the fish cakes with a spicy tomato salsa followed by the seabass stuffed with prawns, calamari & crushed olives whilst Janet  went for a fillet steak in a mushroom sauce. My fish just melted in your mouth while her steak was large and cooked just how she asked it to be. For dessert we were fascinated by what fried ice cream was so had to try it. Not some tiny ball of ice cream this was a boulder coated in what seemed to be a nutty case then fried and coated in caramel sauce, words can't describe it. You can see why they are #1 on Trip Advisor, yes it was a bit dearer than other places but it was well worth it.
I hope the weather picks up as it's Fethiye market day tomorrow.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 09:12:11 PM »
Sorry about the lack of reports, for some reason it kept saying I was FORBIDDEN, anyway I always wrote them on Notepad & copied them over when I had a decent internet access. Now we are home I will add them all tomorrow. Early bed tonight as we were up 5 am UK time and it's been a long day.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 09:16:42 PM »
Thanks for your posts Pompeyalbie, it has been a pleasure reading about your holiday.  Enjoy a good night's sleep, we know how you feel, we arrived home at 10pm UK time at Easter, and were back in work at 8am the next day, our choice to have an extra day in Kalkan, but so regretted it that morning!

J&B

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 12:03:07 AM »
Tuesday and we awake to glorious wall to wall sunshine, this is more like it. We had a leisurely drive over to Calis Beach to catch the water taxi to Fethiye. It's a tradition with us since we stayed a couple of times there on our first venture to Turkey. They've done a lot of work in the canal area, clearing the reeds and building walls either side of the bridge, maybe they are trying hard to improve the resort but I struggled to find a parking spot near the taxi dock. Anyway we got over to Fethiye and they've continued their improvements around the harbour as well, it looks really nice. On to the market, I love the smell & colours for the food area, the spices and lovely big fruit & veg. I had a request for some saffron so bought a couple of bags on that for 10TL, I 'd hate to think how much it would cost in the UK. We had orders for leather sandal/flip flops for the grand daughters so the haggler made mincemeat of one trader, he's probably still crying now as she haggled him down. I bought a pair of blue & white leather "pimp" shoes well boat shoes but they look like the sort of thing Shaft would wear & some shirts which she got reduced again. Her passion is pashmina's so she bought 3 for about £10 & I bought a Turkish towel which was 35TL in Kalkan for just 15TL and the same thickness & quality. I was tempted with a Bluetooth music player but he wouldn't drop so I walked away, I couldn't have been that keen as it was only 5TL difference. I managed to escape the wander around the gold shops ( she must be ill) as we had a drink & got the water taxi back.
We got back to the villa around half fourish & it was still nice & warm so dipped my hand in the pool & thought I'd have the first swim of the year. Floated the donut by the steps & thoughtI'd easy myself in by a casual gloat around while I got used to the temperature, WRONG!! I sat in the hole & promptly did a back flip into the water. Janet was supposed to take a photo of me floating but somehow whilst laughing her head off pressed the button at the right time to catch my rear through the donut & legs up in the air going backwards. It was a nice swim really, hopefully tomorrow will be good when we go out on Yildiz.
On to dinner, we decided to park down by the harbour as the greeter by Meydan Kebab House has been a right pain every time we go by up & back no matter what time of day. We had to call in at the opticians anyway to pick up our new glasses. I look like a 60s American professor with my classic style Rayban frames

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 12:07:08 AM »
We'd already decided on Kalamaki as our new place to visit & were lead to the terrace which looked like it had been redone for the season. We had the corner table closest to the harbour & I have to say this was the best view I've ever had from a restaurant roof terrace, it's an uninterrupted panoramic view of the sea absolutely great, I took loads of photos which I will put on the gallery. Janet decided to go all continental and have a Marguerita cocktail while I had my usual Efes. We decided to forego the starter again and for mains Janet had a Salmon Steak on a bed of mushy peas mixed with a herb she can't remember which came with salad & a small jacket spud, I opted for a Turkish dish called something like Mutacan, dice beef cooked in a sauce with apricots, figs, grapes, shallots &  pine nuts. It was so tasty ( I seem to be saying that about every meal I have but it's true), the chef's here are amazing what they come up with. Janet's salmon was cooked nicely & she's not a pea lover but I couldn't even scrounge a taste of the mushy peas. For desert we both opted for the Kalamaki Dream, a poached pear in red wine with ice cream and another delicious sauce. Being the first customers on the terrace,( it must've been closed before) the owner gave us an Ameretto on the house. Our bill was amazingly small considering the quality. I'd certainly consider going there again, the food was good, the service was good & the staff very nice too.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 12:14:57 AM »
You're back!!!
Thanks for posting. Like you we love Fethiye Market - the sights the sounds, the colours. We usually factor in a Fish Market lunch whilst we are there too.
Think you've got off very lightly on the jewellery shop front  ::)

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 09:37:54 AM »
What a lovely report can't wait till September. I love walking along the harbour at Fetiyhe or just sitting and watching the gullets glide by.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 09:48:52 AM »
Good to have you back Pompeyalbie - so glad you got the problem sorted.

Every summer we say we're going to drive to Calis and catch the water taxi into Fethiye and spend the day there and every summer we never get round to doing it! Who knows, maybe this year? ??? Mind you we say that about Meis too. We used to say it about Kekove but we actually actioned that last year. We are full of good intentions but seem to go into sloth mode when we are in Kalkan  ;D

Looking forward to another episode from you...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Not What We Expected

Started by Pompeyalbie on Holiday Reports and Reviews

2 Replies
Last post October 20, 2022, 02:19:09 PM
by Pompeyalbie
xx
Storm expected

Started by kim21 on Weather

11 Replies
Last post January 28, 2009, 07:28:52 PM
by onelove

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal