Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Sun, Sea and Shirl!  (Read 37966 times)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Re: Sun, Sea and Shirl!
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2015, 09:19:06 AM »
Sounds like the perfect day but I'm sure there will be some alcohol involved somewhere!  :laugh:

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2015, 04:01:22 PM »
Sounds as though you are all really enjoying your holiday. We will be arriving on Monday afternoon and I've just finished packing the suitcases. Really hot today so finally getting some acclimatization in the UK. I feel that I will need to be extra careful on the first couple of days to ensure I don't get burnt.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2015, 09:26:25 AM »
Come on shirl, I've given you a gentle nudge as requested but now I think a cattle prod is in order!!!!  :o  ;D

Never mind waving to us from that motor boat! Your forum needs to know all about it!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2015, 06:16:38 PM »
Tardy...that's all I can say. Tardy :-* :-*
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2015, 05:51:06 AM »
Tardy!!! how funny K4E  :D, but not this morning though, I'm up before the pool man is even here and doing my long overdue blog!

Firstly apologies, but am not sure what has happened this year, but Lizzie has been doing a fantastic job and keeping you all posted!

Saturday - after a fabulous evening the night before on Yildiz 2, you don't ever think it can get better, but it certainly was a magical evening had by all, not even lots of alcohol was consumed if I remember.

We had decided today to take Katie to Kalkan Beach Park, we left fairly early and over on the little chug boat we went, introducing Katie to the little old Captain and his very nice tall assistant on the way.  Desperately wanted to check out for turtles to show her, but none were to be seen. We had prebooked our sunbeds right on the front row of the new decking, and there they were duly waiting for us.  Had a fantastic day, only mishap was when I passed her headphones to her for her phone, and they slipped down through the decking into the sea! Oh mum!!! I could hear her groan, but in a flash the very nice waiters were running around, one dived in and yes, kindly came back with the headphones with a big grin on is face!.  Bob dried them out and believe it or not they work now!! One happy almost 21 year old! Around lunchtime, she thought she would try out jet skiing, oh please mum come on with me!! are you kidding I said, but I did relent and go in the speed boat to watch.  It looked very scary as she was speeding across the bay on the jet ski, but she had an amazing 15 minute trip (which for me felt like 15 hours) as I was praying she wouldn't come off it! We ventured back to the apartment around 5pm and had all had a lovely day, and one to be repeated before we go home next week.

Our evening was at Moussaka, not sure why but we had never been before, we did book a table a couple of years ago, but cancelled as we had come back from a boat trip and were full, but the food was amazing, and the company, and we had a fun evening celebrating a belated birthday for a lovely lady  :D :D :D

Sunday - Day of rest!! I don't think so, you know us.  Asfiya for a change today! not before our bacon and scrambled egg though.  It was very hot, so we took a slow walk down the road, all of 5 minutes it takes, and reserved our beds, and we were there for the duration. The gang arrived after their brunch at Bread and More and we had another lovely afternoon of what is our catch phrase for the holiday of "Fun in the Sun"  :D :D.

The evening took us to Asian Gate, wasn't sure whether a curry was going to make us feel hotter than we already were, but the food and company was excellent.  Another slow walk up the road home around 11.30pm, no nightcaps for us tonight, Captain sensibles as we are, but to be honest we were all so tired. Said our goodnights and in bed we were before midnight!!!

Monday - Up with the lark, it is Pina X Day today, my favourite boat trip, or is it Yildiz 2, I really can't decide, but we love them all.  Katie was very excited as had loved the moonlight trip and now was looking forward to the day trip.  Down we all trooped in convoy, boarded the boat, greeted by the lovely Captain Abdi and his daughter and off we set. Another 5 people made up the 12 of us, and we had a fabulous day, unfortunately we couldn't go to Mouse and Snake or the mud baths, as the sea become choppy in the afternoon, so we went back via Camel Stone for more swimming.  It was one of the passengers birthday and they had surprised her with the most amazing chocolate birthday cake from Nur Patisserie, and of course we all indulged, happy birthday blaring out through the speakers, everyone singing and clapping while she blew out the candles, it was the perfect end to a perfect day at sea.  It also turned out that the 5 people are on our Kekova trip on Friday so will be nice to see them again.

Back home around 6pm feeling happy and tired, but what a perfect day we had all had. 
No partying tonight for any of us, instead a lovely bbq with the gang on their roof terrace.  Bob had made homemade humous, which was I have to say delicious, a first for him in Turkey, but one to be repeated definitely! We had a lovely dinner, and after indulging far too much, sat on the terrace reflecting on what a lovely day we all had had.
We said our goodnights, and off we went to bed.

Well the pool man has just arrived, so am feeling pleased with myself that I have caught up with my blog!  :D

It's jeep day today, we are planning on breakfast in the mountains, and maybe Patara and Kas, but we shall see, will let you know in the next few days. Next task is to make a pot of coffee for the gang upstairs, as they haven't a cafetierre in the apartment, so have been making them a pot and leaving outside their door in the morning.  Automan yesterday requested croissants and a rose on the tray today, I said don't push it!! lol. I lent him my tartan trolley, and he didn't even use it, and really am not sure why!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 06:08:22 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2015, 07:14:33 AM »
Another enjoyable read Jayne. It's our first morning and I will try to write a post later today when it gets too hot to be outside.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2015, 08:35:34 AM »
Loving your holiday reports Jayne.....keep them coming :-)))
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2015, 10:26:36 AM »
 :) Really enjoying your posts, keep them coming. Have really felt like I've been on holiday with you. Thank you so much.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2015, 11:52:53 AM »
aaahhh...there she is. Welcome back 8)
I have really missed reading about what you all get up to and once again, I am impressed by the amount of things you can pack into a holiday. I love the Upstairs Downstairs situation you have going on and that you make fresh coffee for the guests above you...haha! How lucky are they? ;D ;D
Looking forward to hearing all about your trip out on the Jeep - when you have time, of course :)

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2015, 01:41:12 PM »
Lovely to hear the latest Jayne. Thanks for booking Piña X for us, sounds like it should be a perfect day.  8) 8). Good idea booking seats at the beach club. That couple at Asian Gate sound absolutely awful, how people can treat others like that is beyond me. is Asian Gate doing Chinese at all now? Not all that keen on curry at the best of times. Hope the trip today goes well. Xxx :) :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2015, 03:22:37 PM »
Is it just me or does anyone else hate the idea of being able to book particular sunbeds at the beach clubs? Imagine if Palm Beach introduced this and we went at the same time K4E!!
I would be cross if I turned up first thing (as we normally do) and all the best/front beds had been booked!  ???

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2015, 04:52:15 PM »
Oh Babs, how funny ;D ;D I would just fight you for "our bed", plain and simple! I don't think I would like to turn up and see the best beds reserved, especially if I'd made the effort to get there early. Its taken the Germans and their towel antics to a whole new level...although in my experience of hotels over the past few years the Brits/Americans put the Germans to shame :)
Babs, if you and I were ever in Kalkan at the same time, we would have to draw up a rota for Palm Beach :) :)

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2015, 08:24:47 PM »
Another wet gloomy day here in the UK, so lovely to read your latest report. A big thank you to Bob for taking and sending me those photos. It's like having my own Kalkan PA.  :) :)

Sounds like Katie is enjoying her holiday…….another one caught in Kalkan's magical web!  :) :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2015, 10:11:08 PM »
Fighting talk K4E!  :laugh:
Suzyq1 you are right, it's lovely to read these reports with the atrocious weather that we've had the last couple of days!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2015, 05:42:44 AM »
Thanks for all your comments, now where was I?

Tuesday - oh yes, Jeep day.  Well that was an experience, much fun was had by all, but not the most comfortable mode of transport.  We had intended to have a village breakfast up in Islamlar, so off we went, Bob driving, and me holding on very tightly, and Katie managed to jump in the back, well for a while anyway! We drove up, and as usual eyes closed on most of the bends, finally arriving at Degirmen Restaurant.  We were greeted by the lovely owner, the place was deserted, but we were made so welcome, we decided on just coffee, and within seconds it arrived, we took in the beautiful view right down into Kalkan and beyond, Mouse and Snake glistening in the distance.  When we left the owner insisted no charge! it astounds me how the lovely people out here are so kind, of course we left them a tip to make up for it though. 

Next stop Patara, via Akbel and Yesilkoy, a lovely drive down there, stopping in Patara village to show Katie what it was like.  The beach was fairly busy, it only being 11am, we went into the beach cafe and ordered chicken sandwiches and cold drinks.  Then off to get our sunbeds and swim in the beautiful warm sea, the surf wasn't too bad today, so we spent a couple of hours there, it was lovely.  The gang arrived not long after us, and managed to get some beds a couple of rows behind us. Next stop we all thought was Lavanta, so off we went.  It was beautiful up there, the view always amazes me everytime I go.  We all had a swim, icecream and various soft drinks and another couple of happy hours was had.  Next stop for us was Kalamar, we wanted to show Katie as many places as we could, so off we went, having forgotten how steep the road down to Kalamar Beach Club is, more tightly shut eyes, but we made it.  We only stayed half an hour, enough time for a quick dip in the sea, we were told we musn't touch the sunbeds, shower, trampoline or anything, or we would be charged, we only wanted a quick look and cool off, so weren't bothered, as was too late now in the day anyway to get beds, as we were going out early this evening.

Back home for a quick shower and change as we had decided to to go back up to Lavanta for dinner to watch the sunset.  Homemade burgers was on our agenda, we had been talking to the lovely Turkish guy and English lady that are running the restaurant, and it all sounded yummy, so that is where we went.  The sunset was the best yet, take a look on Facebook at the photo I have uploaded if you can, it is fantastic, can't take the credit though, because Bob took it.   Our meal was lovely, and if we had more time this holiday, we would definitely return.  Back down into town, dropped off the Jeep, and took a slow walk down through the shops, had intended on our bag shopping tonight, but were too tired, a quick drink in Black and Gold, met up with the gang, but confessed to them that we were party poopers this evening and were going back to our beds! how on earth did I let that happen, must be all the fresh air from the jeep!!  ::)

Wednesday - Feeling refreshed this morning, we were up quite early, showered and ready for Kalkan Beach Park by 10am, Bob quickly went to the Bank, the rate was 4.6 this morning! We met him down at the harbour, and over on the boat we went.  A lovely day we had, lots of swimming, sunbathing, with chicken burgers and fab chips for lunch.  We had a lovely day there.  Back home, and straight in the pool to cool off. 

We were meeting at 7pm on the gang's roof terrace for drinks with some friends, the sun had just set and there was a lovely cool breeze. We had booked a table at Alternatif, and all pre-ordered Chateaubriand, on recommendation from Haybo (thank you so much), it was amazing.  After dinner, a quick scan round the bag shops with Katie, leaving Bob basking in the air conditioning, while we looked, still nothing purchased, but Friday...........

Down to Fener for icecreams, met up with the gang.  Funny what you do on holiday isn't it? who eats icecreams at 11.30pm at night? Not sure what is happening to me, declined the offer of a nightcap, tired again! so off we went back to our beds again just on midnight! having had another lovely day of dare I say it "Fun in The Sun""

Thursday - 7am up bright and breezy! car hire today, starting off with an early morning trip to the market, and then off to show Katie Kas, Kapatas and who knows where else?

Firstly though, coffee time guys, hope you are awake, no sign of life yet upstairs!!!!

Sx

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2015, 06:22:23 AM »
Wow, you are covering some ground! So glad you enjoyed your dinner last night.  Whilst Alternatif doesn't have the sea views, i do love the mosque...it is so atmospheric and i love that they turn the music off when Mosque Man starts th call to prayer!

Have a great day today and look forward to the waving!

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2015, 07:43:25 AM »
Wow what an action packed couple of days. Makes me feel tired just reading about it. Hope that you have another 'fun in the sun' day today.........for us it's another day by the pool.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2015, 10:21:22 AM »
No wonder you are starting to flag, Jayne...you have incredible stamina to get through the days activities, never mind last well into the night :)
Patara is perfect in the August heat...lovely sea breeze to cool you down, but oh my word that sand is HOT!!
Bob's sunset photo was special - I was trying to work out where you were, and now I know. See if you can upload it to EK, its worth a share..!
4.6tl to the £ - double what we were getting 2 years ago !!! We've bought some back home just because its so high at the minute, the bubble has to burst at some point.
Thanks for posting, Jayne...love your blogs :)

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
Another great post Jayne. You are making me so excited to be going out there in 10 days. When do you get back? Xxx

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2015, 06:30:37 AM »
Saturday - It's almost 8am and I am sat on our balcony, the sea is like a mill pond this morning with the sun shining over on Mouse Island, and dare I say it only 2 more days and we will be home! I can't believe that we have been here just over a month, where on earth has the time gone? We've had an amazing holiday and lucky to have been here for so long, but I am not feeling the love this morning thinking about going back to work on Tuesday!

Anyway I will continue....

Thursday - last day of the car hire, so off up to the market early, we were there by 8.30am, not many people around, and much cooler than when we would normally go mid morning.  On a mission, we needed some new bath mats from the lovely man just up the first aisle, spices and peppercorns, turkish delight and Beats to take home for the kids.  Everything was purchased in less than 30 minutes, so back to the car and home.  Bob popped up to Akbel to buy some new window clips, and by 9.30am we were all ready for our trip to Kas.  It was seriously hot today, and the air con in the car was sort of doing it's job, but we were still hot.  We stopped at Kapatas to show Katie the view, even though it was early, it was still busy, they have a traffic warden there now, complete with loud hailer directing the cars and monitoring where everyone parks their car, it was still chaos though.  We decided we wouldn't stop but went straight onto Kas.  It was fairly busy in town, but we meandered up through the little streets looking in the shops, chatting to the shop keepers on the way, it was really nice and Katie loved it, but said she still much prefers Kalkan, well to be honest why wouldn't she?  :D
A swim in the sea was the order of the afternoon, so where should be go? Drove past the harbour and went to the Sea View Hotel's beach bar and onto their terrace that leads into the sea, and what a view there was.  Shown to our sunbeds, swanky towels on each, and we were set up for the afternoon.  We ordered fresh orange juice, and other soft drinks, regretting now that we had eaten lunch in town, as the food that they were serving looked delicious, definitely a place to revisit next year. We spent much of the afternoon in the sea, but I have to say it was freezing, apparently cold water springs under the ground, hence the chill in the water, but to be honest it was refreshing as it was so hot.  We had the most amazing view of Meis, it felt like you could almost swim over there as seemed so close. 

Late afternoon - time go go, now if I am honest, I wasn't actually looking forward to the return journey, because Bob and Automan had been chatting and yes you have probably guessed it we were doing the return journey via the mountain route!! Being a somewhat nervous traveller, I tried to persuade him to go back via the coastal route, but no he wasn't having any of it! Large bottle of water on board (thanks Lizzie for that tip) and making sure we had enough fuel off we set.  I spent much of the journey with my eyes tightly shut, Bob kept saying look at the view, your missing it, Katie in the back saying how beautiful it was but a few gasps now and then on some of the hair pin bends! but we made it back safely, somehow we missed Berzegan completely, we saw the sign but never actually saw the road to turn off.  Now that we have done it, I would definitely do it again, still with eyes tightly closed though most of the way.

As soon as we arrived back, messaged the gang to say we were safe and poured myself a large glass of wine for my bravery! new drink, frozen grapes in the wine, blooming delicious. Our friend had brought some from their grapevine in the mountains, and they are sweet and so good, just an experiment I thought, but so good. Our evening at Gourmet followed, I too had Who Let the Chickens Out, Bob Beef curry and Katie Beef Noodles, fab food.  We should have known that something would happen because as we were shown to our seats, I trip on the top step and fell over, I felt so stupid, must have been the grapes in that wine!

Friday - Kekova round 2! Collected by Define Tours at 9am on the dot, somewhat hazy (me I mean), but the journey was lovely, again all through the mountains, am getting used to this now.  2 of the families that were on Pina X were on the trip too, so was nice to see them all again.  An hour later we arrived, all boarded the boat and off we set.  We've done this trip several times now over the past few years and once already this year, but today's was by far the best.  We swam with turtles, Bob actually touched one of them, apparently barnacles on it's back, there were so many swimming around today, and I can't get over how tame they are.  The boat seemed to take a different route today, and stopped off at different coves for swimming, the usual stop off at Simena for ice creams, I had told Katie how beautiful it was, but she couldn't believe how lovely it was.  The boat went into the blue cave, we were sat on the front of the boat so had the best view in there.  Lunch was served, bbq chicken and the usual feast that they serve on a boat, we still don't know how they manage to cook for 20 people plus on such a tiny bbq! It was our intention to sleep for a while in the afternoon, but it didn't materialise as we spent most of the time swimming and looking at the turtles.  Time to go home, back on the coach and a safe journey back to Kalkan.  We said our farewells to the lovely people that we had met, and almost fell in the door as we were so tired.  We watched the sun go down sat on the balcony with a nice cold drink (Automan popped down with some Baclava and Icecream, thank you).  It was after 9pm before we had even showered, we were just going to pop to Hunkar for dinner, we were still full from lunch, and walk into town to continue our bag shopping (now there's another story), and hopefully meet up with the gang in Black and Gold later.

Bags - yes I forgot to mention that! the previous evening before Gourmet, we had started on our mission.  Katie got a Celine black bag, 1 hermes belt and a Mulberry envelope clutch.  I got 2 Hermet belts and a Mulberry clutch for my friend in BSG, and tonight the Mulberry Messenger in Misty May for another friend. It seems that we have bags and belts coming out of our ears, but we are really pleased with our purchases! Today I am on a mission to go back for another Celine bag, it is lovely.

Anyway, Hunkars it was, collected the bag from Misty May and onto Black and Gold, we were done! We saw our friends who are staying at the Emir and had a lovely chat and catch up with them, everyone we see is smiling and having a lovely time, it is so nice to see, they are off on a Jeep Safari today, so were excited for that.  It was getting late and our beds were calling, the gang were still finishing their meal, so we decided to go back (via one of those yellow things on wheels)! In bed by midnight.  Another glorious day of Fun in the Sun!!

Saturday - As I said earlier, not feeling the love this morning, but you know what after writing this blog, I am feeling happier.  Today is Beach Club day, followed by dinner at Marina Restaurant with the gang, can't wait! If I don't finish my blog until back in the UK please forgive me, as I need to savour my last 2 days here in the Paradise.

I think I can hear movement on the top deck, so time for my delivery of Costa Coffee to our friends it is!

Sx

Ps I forgot to say so sorry Haybo we forgot to wave on the webcam when we walked past last night, but what a fab screenshot of us walking down you sent.  Thank you  :D :D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 06:54:47 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Shirl & Bob - We've Finally Gone and Done It!

Started by Bob & Jayne on Holiday Reports and Reviews

68 Replies
Last post June 22, 2018, 04:33:39 PM
by Babs
xx
Shirl is Back in Town

145 Replies
Last post September 04, 2016, 07:46:50 AM
by Bob & Jayne
xx
Sassy Shirl is Reunited - Absolutely Fabulous!!!!

80 Replies
Last post September 05, 2017, 09:27:08 AM
by Lizilu20

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal