Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Sun, Sea and Shirl!  (Read 37958 times)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: Sun, Sea and Shirl!
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2015, 11:51:13 PM »
Another great post, Jayne. Gosh...all the power cuts reminds me of Kalkan in the early days. They used to regularly cut the power in August - it was just expected but last time we came in August it didn't happen once and it rarely happened in early/late season. Sounds like there are issues again.... ???
Well done on the walking, you're getting about quite a bit so don't be hard on yourself. Was it the Asifya Seaview Hotel you went to or have they opened up the Asifya on Kalamar Road..? Sounds like you had a great day.
Looking forward to reading more about your trip.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2015, 08:45:08 AM »
Thanks for bringing a little bit of sun into my very dull, wet Tuesday. I may be wrong K4E, but I think it is the Asfiya Sea view Hotel. Looks lovely on their web site.

Not long now Jayne till you have your swimming partner! Not sure where you are staying this year Lizilu but if you are in the same area as last year I guess you will have a bit further to walk than Jayne, but I don't want to hear any excuses!

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2015, 10:06:10 AM »
 :) Really enjoying your posts. Sounds like you're having a fab time.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2015, 06:46:49 PM »
Monday - Collected the car promptly at 9am, our day had begun.  Alper had the car all ready for us, Mr Haybo was arriving as we were about to drive off to collect their Jeep, everyone happy bunnies!

First stop the equivalent of what Bob calls Kalkan B&Q for some lightbulbs and numerous other boring stuff, but he was happy with his purchases. A quick stop to the factory at Berzigan to get some clips for the mosquito panels, as you do! the lovely
little man in the village supermarket on the roadside was calling me over, absolutely no English or Turkish spoken by us both, but I ended up buying a melon, not sure what sort it is, he insisted on giving me cherries and apricots to taste, I keep saying where would that happen in the UK! Boring stuff done in less than an hour and we were off!

Patara Beach first stop.  We bought the 10 day pass for 15TL, thinking it was still quite early around 11am it wouldn't be that busy, but it certainly was.  So hot, and there seemed to be a problem with the parasols at the beach, very windy, and no material ones available only the wicker version, but they were all taken, poor  beach man was frantically banging holes in the sand and trying to put more parasols in, fortunately for us we were given the last one available and we were very grateful! The sea was quite rough, so didn't venture in more than once! After 2 hours we had had enough sun so lunch was calling but where! we had the car, and thought we would go to Yelkin Bistro for burgers, it was on our list to of to do things! and so glad we did! All I can say is that it is an upmarket Burger restaurant with a difference! the menu is varied and not just burgers.  We had the Num Num Burger 25TL each and it was fantastic! and we will definitely go back to sample the  menu again, someone was having fillet steak and that look fabulous. Next stop Jasmine Coiffeur, the shellac toenails just have to go, why did I choose Coral! I hated it, such a sweet girl in there, 30 minutes and all of 10Tl worth later toenails acetoned and each wrapped individually with tin foil, it was gone, I was a happy lady! Bob sweltering in the car outside, I had said will only be 5 minutes! I didn't realise it took that long to remove shellac!

Next stop Kapatas! thinking on a lovely swim to swim off our amazing lunch, on arrival, it was seriously  busy.  Cars, lorries, jeeps, bikes, the world and his wife were here! Stopped to take a photo, Bob said he would turn round and pick me up on the way back.  10 minutes later and photos taken, still no sign of our Kleo car hire and Bob! beginning to panic a bit now,hope he was okay and hadn't had an accident, but no he had had to drive almost to Adem's Restaurant to turn round before there was a safe turning point.

Next stop Akcagerme Beach, busy to say the least, took ages to fine a parking space,
absolutely full and not as we remembered it. We had a quick swim to cool off and an icecream, and I think I said last year, still the best prices for icecream 1tL for a Twister lolly! and back to the car we went. For all us ladies, we spotted a budgie smuggler on the beach, but perhaps not as you would imagine! there was a Turkish family carrying a bird cage with a budgie on the perch! They pitched up on their sunbeds in front of us and carried on like we do at a beach club! He was under the umbrella though!

Kas - Drove into Kas around 5pm, we drove along by the harbour and ended up at Hera Hotel Beach.  We ordered 2 cola lites! as driving! right on the sea front opposite Meis and watched the sun go down. The best sunset we have ever seen, wish I could
post the photo! Such lovely guys at the bar, and they asked us what sun beds we wanted to reserved for tomorrow!

Almost 8pm when we left, back to Kalkan we went, on the way back passing the Blue Caves, there were literally hundreds of bats flying overhead, never seen anything like it, amazing! we drove past Gurus where Haybo was, but sadly didn't call in as we were somewhat bedraggled from our lovely day. We had had the best day even though a little tired! A quick stop in Migros, and back home!

We made a tuna salad for a very late dinner and we were ready for our bed!

Tuesday - Day of rest! Air Con man arrived at 9am, all fixed 30 minutes later.  No more dripping now my side of the bed and bedside cabinet back in its place! Planning on Asfiya for lunch and a swim today, to just chill! ..... It is the new Asfiiya hotel overlooking the bay ladies, well worth a visit, the food it fantastic!

Sx
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 07:00:59 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2015, 07:28:55 PM »
Another brilliant post Bob and Jayne and another great day. Helping me to prepare for my well earned break in Kalkan. Only 8 working days to go!!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2015, 07:41:42 PM »
Yes, fantastic report and I love the budgie smugglers tale. You don't know how excited we all are right now.  Getting a bit manic though - way behind on the preps!!  ::)

Keith, I feel your anticipation but it won't be too long for you I promise. The last week or so will really fly by.  :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 11:01:57 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2015, 09:10:25 PM »
Another great post. Must go to see the budgie smugglers! Sounds like you had a very long and lovely full day with lots of adventures. It seemed like 101 beaches in just one day!

Would interested in your thoughts on Asfiya sea view we stayed there last year just as they opened last year. A very beautiful hotel, fantastic views and beautiful rooms; It would be fair to say then that the hotel had huge promise but lots to do to get the ambiance and the food offering right. I understand that Adem (formerly manager of Asfiya and Lykia Gardens) is in charge this year so I'm sure things will now be great.  :) :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2015, 10:08:36 PM »
Bit of a busy theme to that post Shirl!
I think we should have a little competition to see who can spot the oddest thing on a turkish beach.......Shirl, you're the one to beat!  :laugh:

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2015, 05:34:31 AM »
And so I continue! Tuesday lunch, down to Asfiya for lunch, a real treat, like fine dining at normal prices, it was delicious.  Just one mishap today, got up from the table after lunch and went to walk back to the sunbed, Bob still paying the bill, when the waiter pointed down to my feet laughing, yes only I could do it, one pink Croc flip flop on and one grey one of Bob's, and I hadn't even noticed.    ::) ::)

We really were chilling today, just lazed around the pool most of the afternoon, except for the odd dip in the pool, a well deserve relax was had by us.  6,30pm and time to go.  A quiet evening in tonight, Bob made lamb kofte with home made garlic bread and salad, another delicious meal. 

Wednesday - Yildez 2 day! off we set all bright eyed and bushy tailed, via the supermarket to get some lip salve, the sun has really taken it's toll on them this year! duly bought along with 2 x tins of baked beans as you do when going on a boat trip! and off we went.  As usual, the lovely Osman and Zeynap and his daughters greeted us with open arms, and on board we went.   What a fantastic day we had, the food seems to get better every year, there was so much, and it was fabulous, how do they do it in such a confined space.  Had to laugh, when we departed Zeynap was at the wheel and Osman was cooking! brilliant.  The sea was a little choppy but it didn't stop us, we went to all the familiar places, Kalamar Bay, Fernez Bay, Camel Stone, mud bath and back to Fernez. Only slight problem on one of the journeys, where the wind got up! one of the cushions along with Bob's hat flew overboard! as quick as anything Osman turned the boat round, out came the biggest net I've seen, and they retrieved both in a matter of minutes! Mid afternoon out came the array of lovely fresh fresh, followed soon after by cake, biscuits, tea and coffee. We couldn't eat another thing, but we had had a truly magical day.

We returned to the harbour around 5.45pm, tired but very happy having had a fantastic day again on Yildez 2.  It was very hot when we got off the boat, no breeze like there had been on the boat, so only option we thought hop in a Taxi. 5 minutes later, and 10TL later, we were back in the apartment with the air con full blast!

We had booked dinner down at the Asfiya tonight, live music was on, so looking forward to our evening.  Had a little rest, showered and we were ready to go.  I was determined to wear my new Maxi dress I had bought, had been too hot so far this holiday, but there was a cool breeze so thought I would go for it tonight.  We had a lovely evening, the food, music and everything about our evening was fab, it just finished off a perfect day for us.  Back home around midnight, greeted by the lovely dog that seems to have befriended us, and our heads hit the pillow and we were asleep in no time at all.

Thursday - Market Day today with our new tartan trolley!  ;D

Sx

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2015, 04:25:14 PM »
Sounds wonderful and I'm glad you've had a good rest before your partner in crime arrives!  :laugh:

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2015, 04:50:57 PM »
A tartan trolley...? Oh my :)
Yildiz boats are my favourite, just love those brothers and their families. How do they remember everyone year after year..? We really like the sound of Asifya Sea View - adding it to my list as we speak for 2016. Although I promised myself not to patronise the place given its location...but hey I'm fickle :P
Loving your reports Jayne, thanks for posting.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2015, 07:54:13 PM »
6 more work days and seriously counting down. Every time I read a holiday report I feel that I am  in Kalkan and so (in my imagination) l've already enjoyed  a four month holiday. Thanks to all of you that have shared your holiday experiences...  .good and bad....every post has added to our anticipation of  our next visit a week on Monday.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2015, 03:27:39 PM »
Thursday - Market day was same old, but still we enjoy popping along there, we didn't stay very long as it was so hot, got the few things on our list, 2 new bath mats, some screws from the DIY stall, 1 kilo of the most amazing cherry tomatoes for 3TL and a kilo of peaches. A mid morning brunch was on the cards, we had told Haybo about Cafe Karve 6 just down the road from the market, we had heard good reviews so planning on us going there.  Disappointment followed as there was no sign of life when we got there and it was closed! Sun was blazing hot by now, so we decided to go back to the apartment for breakfast.  2 slices of scrambled eggs on toast later and we were happy.  A pool afternoon for us it was, before getting ready for our Moonlight cruise on Yildez 3 at 6pm. 

It was a lovely evening, and Bob took some amazing photos of the sunset, Adam, his wife and son made us very welcome and we were looked after and fed very well! As Haybo has mentioned the sea was very bracing, but it had to be done. Very distressing for poor Haybo and OH losing his wallet and phone, but a happy ending in the end was found.  :D

Friday - Our lovely friends had arrived, all was quiet when we woke up, no sign of life from the apartment above yet! couldn't wait to see them now, and sure enough around 10am they appeared.  It was so lovely to see them again and we just picked up from where we had left off last year! Brunch was served followed by Efes, lots of chatting, a swim in the pool, more wine, more beer, a fab meal at Marina, back home and more alcoholic beverages until way past 3am!

Saturday - After a very slow start due to a somewhat fuzzy head, I'm never drinking again, I was saying to myself, it was going to be a Beach day today. We feel we have neglected the town beach this year, having only been once so far.  It was a bit cloudy this morning, but very hot.  We got 2 umbrellas today but still it seemed stifling.  We had a few swims, a chicken sandwich from the beach cafe to soak up the alcohol, and I was feeling a bit better, by mid afternoon the heat was a little unbearable, so off to Fener we went, 2 fresh mint lemonades and 2 coffee and chocolate icecreams, topped with more chocolate and nuts, the icecreams are still only 5TL each, and the best I think you can get. We haven't been to Fener this year, and was pleasantly surprised how nice it still is, and the menu looks good too, so will be visiting for a meal soon I am sure.

Back to the apartment around 4pm, Lizilu and Automan came back, a quick dip in the pool, and dare I say it, a couple of glasses of wine we all had while sat on their roof terrace admiring the view.

We were all going to Kaya for dinner tonight, Haybo and her family were coming too.  We had a lovely meal, and Kadir was entertaining us with his magic, he never ceases to amaze us with his tricks, he is brilliant! After dinner, I was done in, all I wanted to do was go to bed, we all popped into Yali, bought up their stash of magnums from the freezer,  said farewell to everyone and off we went to our bed.

Sunday - Up early this morning, feeling on top of the world, so much better, a nice early morning stroll was the order of the day.  I decided to walk along Kalamar Road today, lots of people about, even though not even 7.30am.  A couple of people jogging, wow, how do they do that in this heat. Took a few photos on the way 45 minutes later I was back home having my freshly brewed coffee. Fruit was on the menu for breakfast today, as we were all going as we were all going for lunch at the Asfiya Hotel.

Our holiday is half way through now, but we are having a fabulous time, and this week my daughter arrives, so can't wait to see her and show her our beautiful piece of paradise! She has never been to Kalkan and I know that she will love it as much as we do.  :D

Sx

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 03:36:52 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2015, 04:05:36 PM »
Another enjoyable post that has got me in the groove for Kalkan next Monday night. Can't wait!!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2015, 05:20:18 PM »
Lovely......I bet you are excited about showing your daughter Kalkan?...she will love it, our 2 have been going to Kalkan for years and are still addicted!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2015, 09:52:45 AM »
Oh how lovely that your daughter will be joining you, having never been to Kalkan before. What a treat! I bet you have the time you are spending together all mapped out.
Halfway through..? Oh Lordy where is the time going. Ah well soon be Christmas >:D
Look forward to hearing more about your stay :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2015, 08:48:54 PM »
Did someone say the "c" word!!  :o

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2015, 06:06:53 AM »
Morning everyone, and thanks for all your ocmments, feel I have been a bit amiss with my posts this year, think it is a case of having "Fun In The Sun........" well that is our catch phrase of the holiday this year (isn't it Lizzie!!!!)

Before I begin, we have decided another contender for the funniest thing we have seen on our holiday this year, the first being the budgie smuggler on the beach is the waiter in the lift with Bob taking his payment on the card machine, well never ever seen that before!

Following on.   Sunday - we all trooped down the the Asfiya, feel like family in there now, the Gang loved it, we rocked up on those beds again, swam, had a fabulous lunch, some drinks and a nap in the sunshine, well a bit of a longer nap for a certain person  ::) ::)

We were off to Bodamye Tepe as you know that evening, so left around 5pm to go back to get ready, and of course needed to leave enough time for a quick sundowner before we went up to Islamlar! We love going up there, and was a bit concerned about wasps and the like joining us, but it was lovely, even with the paddle of ducks, a couple of lizzards and the weird looking land crab crawling along behind me, that did freak me out somewhat. We had a fab evening, with such nice food, always having the srhimp casserole when I go there, but this year to my horror it wasn't on the menu, but Hassan said no problem they would make it for me anyway, and they certainly did a good job.  OH had Mexican chicken with mushroom and cheese, and that was so good, of course the obligatory chips had to be had, not sure why everywhere I go I say wow these are the best chips! Wasn't going to drink too much this evening, but again the obligatory sharing bottle of wine with my drinking partner had to be done  :D Such a  bad influence on me she is!!!  ;D ;D

We paid the bill, and OH went to call the taxi, and to our surprise the Taxi driver was in the restaurant and had waiting for us all the time and had been watching the football in the restaurant! Safely back down into Kalkan, again the obligatory nightcap for us all, this time on our balcony, just a quick we one said, by 01.30am Automan was ready for his bed, just one more we said, so it was almost 2am before we said goodnight.  Another lovely evening though.

Monday - We were all off to Kalkan Beach Park today, but first my early stroll at 7.30am took me into the bakers for 2 loaves of their lovely nutty bread, if you haven't tried it you must, best bread by far here.  Lots going on this morning in town.  Stopped off at the shop along the Kalamar Road where they sell the sunbed cushions and bean bags, really fancy buying one of those bean bags with the  back rest, they are fab, shop open with everything on display, no one in sight, called out banged on the table still no one appeared, so after ten minutes I left, so trusting everything is here.  Really hot now, so back up the hill I went, firstly popping a bag of the nutty bread on our neighbours door upstairs and then hoping that OH would have the coffee on, and indeed he did! A quick shower and poached eggs with the yummy bread for breakfast.

We all had a lovely time at the Beach Park, fab sunbeds on the new terrace that has been built by the snack bar, and they waited on us very well.  Wasn't going to have lunch today or certainly anything alcoholic, but had burger and chips and 2 x glasses of wine and OH 2 x Belmonti in the afternoon while chatting with our friends. Our pink Can Can Walter made an appearance today, and it was lovely relaxing in the sea so will be taking Walter again definitely.  Lizzie and Automan left around 5pm as their girls were getting so hot now, the sun was beating down, we decided to stay another hour or so.  Before we left we booked our 7 sunbeds for Saturday, on the front row of the terrace, no problem they said.  Perfect!

Back across on the boat, stopping off at the mini market along by the harbour, had a lovely wine the previous evening, Tigris it was called and sure enough they had it, 17.5TL, and very nice indeed.

A taxi was the next order of the day, too hot walking up the hill with the wine and 2.5 litres of Coke zero!! We were there in no time at all, Lizzie and co just having a cool off in the pool. OH and I were staying in tonight to cook with our use ups in the fridge, we said to the gang enjoy their evening and look forward to hearing where they go.

A quick dip for us, and back in the air con.  Certainly had been a lovely day, but was somewhat tired, before we knew it was 8pm, and we were starving.  Chicken in bacon, sausages, salad and some more of the nutty bread was gone in no time at all! followed by a mini magnum! First of the holiday, we were in bed asleep by 10pm!

Tuesday - Feeling more more awake this morning, I think had too much sun yesterday, so going to be careful today! It's Sunset 3 day today with Lizilu, Haybo and co.  Can't wait.

Sx

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 05:10:38 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2015, 06:34:38 AM »
See you soon Shirl...can you believe i actually slept til 8 today? 18 days in and i'm finally in holiday mode!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2015, 08:37:28 AM »
I'm sorry I haven't blogged very much this holiday, but to be honest, our feet haven't touched the ground.  As you will all know, we are having a ball this year on holiday, each day has been filled with fun, sun, laughter, lovely food, and a tad too much alcohol with our lovely friends from the floor above!

Wednesday 4am my daughter arrived, stayed up until 5.30am catching up,it was so lovely to see her when we finally got to bed we slept until 10am. We didn't even make the market, but there is always next week!

Thursday - Yesterday we all went down to the Asfiya again!! lunch sun and swimming, and back home around 6pm for a quick swim before getting ready to hit the town! and indeed we did!

Firstly Black and Gold, for various cocktails and bottles of wine and beers, Automan is really getting into those Mudslides now.  They look incredibly.  Next stop Botanic for yes more cocktails, wine and beer, not quite sure what happened re dinner, we had all suggested several different places, but we ended up at the Soup kitchen for chicken shish and wraps, and very nice indeed it was too.  I think the whole bill for 7 of us came to just under 80 turkish lira! Back home, as very tired, and somewhat merry we all were at 1.30am!

Friday - Awoke around 8am this morning, feeling surprisingly okayish! definitely a non alcohol day for me today!! Off to Chillies for brunch this morning with the gang and Hayley and Matthew, sadly Dave is poorly so won't be joining us. Then we are planning on showing Katie the town beach before our Moonlight cruise on Yildez 2 this evening.

Sx

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Shirl & Bob - We've Finally Gone and Done It!

Started by Bob & Jayne on Holiday Reports and Reviews

68 Replies
Last post June 22, 2018, 04:33:39 PM
by Babs
xx
Shirl is Back in Town

145 Replies
Last post September 04, 2016, 07:46:50 AM
by Bob & Jayne
xx
Sassy Shirl is Reunited - Absolutely Fabulous!!!!

80 Replies
Last post September 05, 2017, 09:27:08 AM
by Lizilu20

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Fresh Garlic

Views: 4191
By: Buster
Views of Kalkan