Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Sun, Sea and Shirl!  (Read 37710 times)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Sun, Sea and Shirl!
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2015, 12:23:06 PM »
Speaking as a Design Engineer, 'Lightest cases' are easy.

The question is (to the manufacturer), do you want lightest with quality (price varies), lightest and cheapest, or lightest with maximum profit?

Trouble is, the consumer is subjected to the marketing headlines appropriately... >:D
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2015, 05:49:22 PM »
Well we are back, safely arrived in our little bit of Paradise.  A long journey via Istanbul and 2 flights, but we finally arrived around 9am yesterday morning.  It wasn't Secret Escapes, we flew with Turkish Airlines booked independently, they were brilliant, but wouldn't do it again, only due to the time it took, even though it was cheaper. We arrived at Istanbul around 4am, and had to change planes flying from the Domestic departure lounge, taking an hour to Dalaman.  We didn't have to worry about our IT cases! still frantically worrying about my sausages and bacon as they said at Heathrow we would see them again at Dalaman, and sure enough on the transfer bus, there they were on the very top of the luggage trolley hurtling its way to the terminal.  When we got there, Carousel number One we were told, I patiently waited, while Bob went into the Duty Free to get our 2 x litre bottles of Vodka, as Turkish Airlines don't sell Duty Free, weird, but the food and alcohol on both flights was free.  Bags came and went, as did all of the people waiting too, Bob returned with our bottles, and there I was (Billy No Mates) with no baggage! Starting to panic slightly, had our sausages been seized!! Lovely Turkish authority appeared, I thought oh dear this is it! asked what flight we had arrived on, then duly pointed to Carousel number Three, and there all on there own were our 2 IT cases going round and round alone!So happy to see them, but on closer inspection, one had grease on them K4E! and the other one the wheel was slightly crooked! Tesco Direct for us on our return home!! Rubbish, the only thing I will say is that I had expected them to tear, but so far they haven't!

The good news though, the bacon and sausages were still frozen solid, I couldn't believe it, 18 hours out of the freezer!

Transfer car all ready waiting for us, and an hour and a half later we were here! The day unfolded but was a bit of a blurr! we were so tired having had hardly any sleep. We wandered down to the harbour and had coffee in Lipsos, it was lovely seeing old familiar faces, people just don't forget you do they.  Bob's had his first haircut and shave of the holiday, so was very happy, and we then popped in to see Julie and Paul at the Emir who had arrived from Fethiye the previous evening.  They made us very welcome and was lovely to see them. Back to our apartment for an afternoon swim and a nap.  not sure the hour's nap did any good, we felt even more tired, so decided a trip to Hunkars, pick up a few bits for breakfast over the weekend, and we were in bed by 9pm!

Saturday - 3am, heard a noise a light was on, OMG we have been burgled I thought! lent over to wake Bob, he wasn't there! sure enough he was in the lounge thank goodness watching his new IPTV box that he had brouht over to instal! Back to bed and slept until 7am, but felt so refreshed.  My promise to myself this holiday is to try and do a little walk before breakfast and an early morning swim in sea (Lizilu hurry up out), not going in that sea on my own until your here! I went out and walked all the way down to Asyifa hotel, the guy came running out, and gave me a guided tour, it is beautiful, and it's now on our list to go and have a meal there, and a swim in the pool, I walked along the track up by the Mediterrantan Apartments, past the Bakery, after popping in for a hot loaf, and back home in just over an hour! felt marvelous, but not sure I will be doing it every day!

Boiled eggs on the balcony and freshly brewed coffee and we were set up for the day.  Our promise to ourselves this holiday is only 2 meals a day, rather than the normal 3!

Over breakfast, we had  a message from Haybo, they have arrived safely,and we are looking forward to catching up with them tomorrow, as didn't manage to see them today due to our 5 hours on the beach! 

Electric went off around 11am, but only for half an hour or so.   We had decided on the beach, well now there's a surprise! We had a lovely day, arrived at midday (mad English people in the midday sun)! got our sunbeds, iced water, and we were set for a couple of hours! lovely Turkish guy and his friend from the carpet shop were sitting by us, so friendly, even asked us to look after his wallet and new Samsung mobile phone why he went in the sea! would never happen in the UK! Our 2 hours turned into 5! before we knew it, it was 5pm. Up through town we meandered, stopping off in Bade Bar, really nice, spent half an hour people watching and savouring over our lovely day and back to the apartment for a shower.  Moonlight Terrace Restaurant tonight for dinner, not sure my 2 meals a day is going to last for a month, as we are starving as only had breakfast so far!

Off to Kekova tomorrow so will keep you uptodate on our day, we are really looking forward to going, we love it there.

Tyros - Bob and I are so sorry we won't be seeing you and Sandra this time, but hopefully next time our dates will coincide.  :D

Sx
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 05:59:57 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2015, 10:14:34 PM »
Glad you and your "pork products" arrived safely! You must have been shattered after that long journey.
I love Kekova. Hope you have a great day tomorrow. Look forward to hearing all about it.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2015, 11:57:05 PM »
Aw glad you made it in one piece and with Bacon and sausages intact. At least the cases kept the contraband safe. 
We will be joining you before long and can't wait for that early morning dip. Enjoy kekova tomorrow and look forward to reading all about it.  :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2015, 05:52:59 AM »
Sorry for the delay in my post, but it has been a tad busy this week! Now where did I get to!

Sunday - Kekova trip, what an amazing day, we have done this trip quite a few times, and we still never get bored with it.  Julie and Paul (Kalken Gems) came with us, I was thinking hope they will enjoy it, and theycertainly did. We were collected by Define Tours and driven to Kekova through the mountains, lovely drive there. We boarded the boat, and we were off. Swimming with turtles was the highlight of the day, they are such amazing creatures.  A lovely lunch , visit to Simena, didn't quite make the castle again! but the cafe and icecream stop as usual was the order of the day.  Arrived back at 6.30pm and a quick shower and dinner at Smyrna as we were all meeting up with Haybo, would definitely recommend this restaurant, run by Rami. I had chicken stuffed with mozerella and rocquefort with spinach, it was delicious, Bob had Shrimp Guvec, which too was yummy, amongst other things ordered were lamb claypot, fish, all of which was superb.  A lovely evening, and was nice to sea Haybo and family again.

Monday - A rest day today, up to Archelik to buy a new hoover, purchased one in no time at all, at quite a reasonable price, they said they would deliver at 6pm.  Came out of the shop crossed the road to the shop below, Bob said lets go in, he has a thing about kitchen gadgets! walked round and the first thing we saw were hoovers! and one that was higher wattage than what we had just bought and better value.  Back to Archelik and asked if we could cancel our order, yes of course you can! so nice.  Hoover now bought and paid for and this one being delivered at 5pm!

We came out of the shop and someonewas calling out at us, it was Alper in his jeep, asking us if we wanted a lift, I was gutted, as we had to say no, because we were off to the bus station to purchase our tickets for the Bati Antalya bus to Fethiye the next day, I've always wanted to hire one of those things, and hopefully we will one day! Bus tickets bought, a quick stop at Migros for a few bits for dinner, and a stop for brunch in Suleman's Cafe opposite the market.  He was so pleased to see us, we ordered 2 chicken sandwiches, and 2 fresh orange juices. He said just got to pop to the shop to get some butter! won't be long! His daughter made the orange juice and in no time at all he was back, and our sandwiches arrived, and they were so good!

Back home and an afternoon around the pool, it was so hot today.  Spicy chicken, salad and saute potato and onions was on our menu for dinner, as we had a friend coming over for dinner, all to be cooked in our multi cooker (another gadget)! yes, 10 minutes before he arrived, the electric went off! Dinner was now going to be cooked on the gas hob! thank goodness we have it! Lovely evening though, despite darkness for quite a while. 

Tuesday - Up early, as 7.40am bus for our 3 day trip to Fethiye.  The Bati Antalya Bus left on time, had a seat so all was good.  Got to the D400 and no didn't go left, but straight across, were we on the right bus we though! It was via Akbel and Yesilkoy picking people up on the way, and then trundled off to Fethiye, a  very good service 13Tl each way per person. Arrived at the Otogar, a Dolmus to the Harbour, and the little ferry boat over the Calis where we had booked a little hotel at the far end for 2 nights. The hotel was lovely, small and friendly, and lovely people.  They let us check in early, it wasn't even midday yet, bags in room, and straight in the pool we went, set in a lovely garden, with lots of banana trees.  In the afternoon we went to the beach, we found a lovely restaurant called Guven Restaurant, we had a late lunch, whiting in a light efes batter for Bob and sea bass for me, large Tubourg gold and a bottle of water 42TL! the food was excellent and such good value! lunch eaten, and the sea beckoned. the restaurant have their own sun beds, no charge they said.  An afternoon of swimming and napping followed! We had a stroll out in the evening, watching the sun go down, still full from our late lunch, so had a spicy pide and salad to share.

Wednesday - Lovely Turkish breakfast sat in the garden by the pool of the hotel, and off to find Kuleli Beach, which is the other side of Letoonia Hotel, Bob had read up about it on Turkeys for Life blog! A dolmus from out side the hotel to Fethiye 2TL each, and then another one from the Otogar took us there, a few hairpin bends to contend with, but eyes shut for the duration, and was it worth it.  Wow, suddenly out of no where was this beautiful beach.  Two sunbeds and 2 umbrellas later and we were set up for the day.  We were the other side of Fethiye bay facing towards the islands, you could have been anywhere.  Fantastic day we had, lunch was brought to us on our sunbeds, and beers and water, we couldn't have had a better day.  5pm and we were done! the bus was waiting, back round the hair pin bends and then another dolmus back to our little hotel.  A sleep was in order before deciding on where to eat for dinner. We had planned on Mancero Kitchen, but we were tired so decided to go back to our little gem of a restaurant we had found the previous day.  We ordered halloumi cheese in chilli, lamb filled filo pastry parcel topped with yoghurt, and garlic prawns and the complimentary puffy bread with dips. All of which were delicious, it was actually only 3 starters, and we couldn't manage anything else! 2 glasses of wine and 2 x beers and total bill was only about 80TL!

Thursday - Off on the 12 Island Boat trip! we had breakfast, packed our things, said goodbye to the lovely people that run the hotel, and off we went on another Dolmus to the harbour! The boat was called Erghun 4, a big boat, but none the less very good.  Left on time at 10.30am, it was very hot today, so plenty of suncream was applied and off we sailed, the views were spectacular, we had 5 swimming stops in total, lunch was chicken or fish with salad and spaghetti, we opted for the chicken, which was good but in fact wished we had chosen the fish, as was trout and looked lovely.  We arrived back at 6.20pm, what a fab day, and all for 35TL each! how cheap is that for 8 hours including lunch on a boat trip.  What followed next was one of the highlights of our 3 day road trip! The Fish Market! we had limited time as our bus was going at 9pm! off we went, stopping off at Deep Blue Bar for a quick refreshment, and it was very quick indeed, and then to choose our dinner.  We opted for a kilo of king prawns 50TL, not sure why, but then we ordered a small sea bream and a small sea bass, 8 and 13TL, all to share.  It was manic but suddenly we were sat in the restaurant and our fish was served all within 20 minutes.  The prawns were incredible, cooked in chillie, butter and garlic, served with hot toasted bread.  Then the 2 fish arrived, which again were so so fresh, all served with salad, and the compulsory chips! maybe we shouldn't have had the chips! It was an experience not to forget, and we will return! Time was getting on, they ordered us a taxi and off we sped to the Otogar. 

The bus home didn't stop until we got to Yesilkoy, and we were back in Kalkan in 1 hour and 20 minutes.  A quick walk down from the bus garage and a slow walk up the hill to the apartment and we were home!

Moral of our trip - Fabulous and worth doing a mini holiday within your holiday!

I am sorry if my blog is long, but I had lots to write about!

Sx

« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 06:03:30 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2015, 08:54:32 AM »
Well I must admit I was wondering where you were, but it was certainly worth the wait. :)
What an amazing few days you have had. It has made me and probably quite a few others think about going a bit further a field, especially as you seemed to have travelled so cheaply. Will go and google that beach you mentioned.
I would imagine you will be having a few rest days before the rest of the gang join you in Kalkan!
Will look forward to the next post. Enjoy  :) :) 

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2015, 09:08:39 AM »
We keep meaning to have another mooch around Fethiye area..but the heat and the lure of the pool make us say "tomorrow" until it's time to go home!! fair play to you for finding the oomphh to do it!.....You should have said you needed a hoover I have a spare one that is only gathering dust!! ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 10:33:15 AM »
Oh Jayne, I really really enjoyed reading that post - especially the Fethiye trip as we are keen to have an overnight stay next year. It just sounded like a perfect few days, loved the sound of Kuleli. We do enjoy the Fish Market - quite an experience, but we've only ever gone for lunch - didn't realise it was open of an evening too - bet it was much more comfortable than the strong heat of the day.
As usual, you are packing so much into your stay - I don't know how you do it - I'm exhausted reading it!
Really looking forward to hearing all about your next adventure :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2015, 11:05:24 AM »
Wow!  What a great trip, that souyds really interesting (and YES, it was worth the wait haha!)

Thank you!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 11:21:58 AM »
Well that certainly was well worth waiting for Shirl.

What a lovely little holiday within a holiday. I wish we could take a leaf out of your book. If only I could the the time off work, as just  like Haybo, we are so eager not to miss any Kalkan in our measly 2 and a bit weeks, we don't get chance for much else  :'(  -  roll on retirement !!

Can't wait for the next installment.  :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2015, 06:15:33 PM »
Frankly Shirl I thought you'd gone into hiding!  :laugh:
But it was worth waiting for. The fish market sounds like just my sort of place but like others we've never visited. Maybe next year......or the year after. We are determined to spend more than our usual 8/9'days in Kalkan one year, will just have to cut back on our trips elsewhere as we run out of leave time!  :(

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2015, 07:41:30 PM »
Bob and Jayne....what a great post. ☺☺ It has really put us in the zone for our visit in two weeks time. I know that we won't get close to anything quite as adventurous and my posts will be quite bland in comparison.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2015, 05:36:15 AM »
We'll you'll be pleased to know here I am again! another blog in just over 24 hours! The thing is we are still on stupid o'clock waking up, anything between 6.19am and 6.34am! although one morning I woke at 7.45am! My promise to myself for an early morning walk has so far only happened once in 8 days! but the walks up that hill in the day are more than compensating for it!

Thanks for all your lovely comments, it must sound like we are busy bees but to be honest, we love planning our little excursions, and our little mini holidays within our holiday, all on a  budget.  Next year we are thinking of getting a flight to Rhodes from Bournemouth which isn't far from where live,  and then spending 3 or 4 days in Rhodes and then taking the ferry from Rhodes to Fethiye, which is only about an hour and then on to Kalkan, all depends on the price of the flights though, we may have to fly from London.

Anyway, back to yesterday. We unpacked from our few days away, washing machine on, a quick light breakfast of toast and marmalade and we were off!  :D Today's trip was on Pina X with Captain Abdi at the helm, all booked from the UK, started off originally with Bob and I and Haybo and family, then Julie and Paul (Kalkan Gems) fancied joining us, and another friend Mandy and her son's partner, so in total we increased the numbers to 12, and we took over the whole boat, and what a fab day we had.  Moored up in Fernez Bay, with lots of swimming, fun and laughter, there was a massive luxury yacht called "That's Life" fantastic, well worth googling it! Lunch was served, Abdi's normal lovely Turkish cuisine, and then onto the stop past Camel Rock and onto the mud bath.  4 of us decided to go for it, smothered ourselves in the mud, and stood there drying out, and turned round and there was Osman from Yildez 2, he was so pleased to see us, obviously not looking my best but he still insisted on giving me a big hug! what a gentleman that man is.  His 2 daughters were with him, gosh how they have grown up since we first knew them.  Looking forward to a trip out on his boat too next week. Next stop Snake Island for more swimming and snorkeling and seeing the lovely goats running back and forwards in the sunshine.  Still full from our beatiful lunch, fruit followed by cake and biscuits, I couldn't eat another thing.  Back to the harbour we sailed, another lovely day had by all. 

We all decided a quick pit stop at Cafe Leon for iced coffees, beers, wine and a Mohito (not all for me I must add), we said our goodbyes to everyone at the roundabout and off to the greengrocers Bob and I went.  We bought some salad and fruit and slowly, very slowly we walked up the hill to our apartment. 

It was almost 7pm by the time we arrived back, we were so so hot, we dropped our shopping in the kitchen and we were in that pool cooling off.  I mean't to say my new Lidl Walter Hammock emerged on Monday, and so far is holding up well!  After a shower we just sat on the balcony, music on having a glass of wine, and we were done.  We were cooking tonight, just chicken and salad, and suddenly it was 9.30pm. Out came the multi chef on the balcony and Bob cooked the chicken in Turkish spice, I did the salad, he had already made the Yoghurt dressing (not sure whether it is called Haydari), but it went well with the chicken, we have cracked that yoghurt now, and got the right one, it's yummy! By the time we had finished and cleared away it was almost midnight, so off to our bed we went.

BL - Our new hoover is going to be tested out this morning after breakfast, so ours will be gathering dust too!  ::) ::)

We also have managed to book a Jeep for a day when my daughter comes out the week after next, am really excited about that, after seeing Alper the other day and having to turn down the offer of a lift down into town. :D

Until next time........

Sx

« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 05:50:59 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2015, 11:55:15 AM »
We're doing Rhodes for 6 nights on the way to Kalkan at the end of September, crossing to Fethiye by the hydrofoil. I'll let you know how it goes Jayne.

Offline Tyros

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2015, 02:00:02 PM »
Hi Jayne and Bob, sounds like you are having a great time - I am enjoying reading your blogs. Sorry we are not there with you but I am sure we will meet again in Kalkan in the future. We are back, for 6 weeks, on 10th September - this will be our third visit this year an so looking forward to it. Anyway keep up the good work and take care and hope to see you sometime.

Graham (Tyros) and Sandra xx

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2015, 07:41:19 PM »
What a brilliant idea combining Rhodes with Kalkan, never would have occurred to me!

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2015, 08:43:53 PM »
Oh Jayne, all I can say is " wish I was still there" The sad thing is I have the leave and am off work but OH doesn't. Wonder if he'd notice if I slipped away for a few days?    >:D
Rhodes - Kalkan ….food for thought.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2015, 06:14:20 AM »
Day 9 already! wow where is the time going?

Saturday - a slow start this morning, absolutely nothing planned, so where will the day take us? started off with a leisurely al fresco full English cooked again in the multi cooker on the balcony, and it was very nice indeed, didn't over indulge though, but so nice. We couldn't decide on what to do, but finally decided on the Beach Club. Off we went down to the harbour, frozen water in the bag, and on the ferry to Kalkan Beach Club, our favourite. Same price as last year on the boat 5TL each and then it is deducted from your bill, sunbeds included. Although almost midday, it wasn't overly busy, we were shown to our sunbeds on the front and we were pitched for the duration.  When I say pitched, there was a slight mishap, as I sat down on the my bed, I heard a big crack, and before I knew it I was on the floor and sunbed had broken in two, it wasn't due to the full English I might add, apparently the leg was already broken I was told! but what an entrance! All was fine, they quickly brought me another bed and I was set up for the afternoon. They have 2 kayaks for people to use this year, and I had great fun launching myself into one, but managed not to capsize it, although unbeknown to me, Bob took a video of me in it, which obviously I won't share on here! We swam, napped, ordered drinks and icecreams and before we knew it the time was 6pm, couldn't believe we had been there 6 hours, it was the best! Off we went on the ferry, still the old Captain driving and the tall smiley guy as the boat hand, happy in their work, and seems like nothing is too much bother for them. They have a bigger boat this year, and still the smaller one too. The turtles are still in the water over there, we saw one, and apparently someone was telling us there is a three legged one which is very friendly, but we have yet to see him!

A slow climb up through town, stopping at 3 bag shops! yeah my day is getting even better, have researched the Hermes belts and mulberry clutch, and mulberry messenger bag that my friends have ordered, but now the decision is what do I want! there are so many to choose from, so am not going to rush I have decided! have plenty of time to decide.  Next stop Carrefour to stock up on supplies, very busy in there and wasn't that enamoured by it to be honest, was great at Easter, but just seemed so busy and not as good as I had remembered, but may have been an off day! still 184TL later and everything bought,(and we seemed to have bought a lot) we were outside waiting for a taxi to take us up the hill with our 6 bags of shopping.

By the time we got back it was almost 8pm! where had the day gone. Bob had asked me earlier where did I want to eat, but to be honest all I wanted to do was chill on our balcony again with a nice glass of something! and eat at home. So that is what we did, We had more of the same for dinner, chicken kebabs with red peppers and onions, salad and our homemade Hadari, followed by fresh cherries and a delicious chocolate and vanilla icecream that we had bought in Migros.

The Mosquito sprayers were out in force this evening, going round twice while we were sat on the balcony.  I have been bitten a few times already this year, the little blighters seem to be going for my ankles, Bob has been spared so far!! fortunately.

Almost midnight again, and I was done! off to bed I went leaving Bob drinking his Jack Daniels nightcap and listening to his music. What a lovely day we had had.

Sunday - Feeling refreshed, I woke up early again, and decided I'd go for an early morning walk (2nd of the holiday so far, not good is it, considering I was going to go every morning!) I was surpised to see 3 or 4 people jogging, even though only 7am it was still very hot, I walked along into town, the shops slowly setting up for the day, lots of deliveries arriving at the greengrocers, people already having their Turkish breakfast in the bakers, managed to walk straight past without venturing in for bread (as it is a fresh fruit and yoghurt day for breakfast this morning), ended up down by the harbour, it was so nice, I am looking forward to an early morning swim very soon when my friend (Lizilu20) arrives on Friday!!! back up the hill feeling pleased with my morning stroll.

Today we were going to check out the new Asfiya Hotel complex, it is only 5 minutes walk down the road which I passed by on my walk on our first full day.  Same lovely guy on the reception, he welcomed us with open arms, showing us around and taking us down to the pool restaurant and bar area.  I declined the offer of the outside lift, as not my thing, so walked down taking in the view.  It is beautiful, the view is spectacular overlooking Kalkan bay and we couldn't have been looked after better if we were in the Ritz! We were on a breakfast and dinner day today, so having decided not to have lunch before we set off, we were slowly regretting our decision, as the food that they were serving looked delicious.  We just had coffees and Bob had beer, but it was lovely.  We swam, laid on the most amazing sunbeds with cushions that are more comfy than our bed, they waited on us hand and foot.  There weren't many people there, but the 2 couples we got talking to were as impressed with their day out as we were.  one of them had already been for an evening meal there, and they said it was the best they had eaten so far on their holiday.  As soon as we arrived we were given towels to use for the day, so we didn't even need our own.  Absolutely perfect day was spent, and we have booked to go back on Wednesday for dinner, when they have live music on!

It was almost 5pm before we realised it, popping in the Emir apartments to see our friend who is going home on Tuesday and then back home for another swim. Our air con unit in the bedroom is leaking water, so Bob was on the phone for quite a while trying to sort out an Engineer to come out, very difficult to explain with limited Turkish, but finally he sorted it and they are coming on Tuesday. It was almost 9pm before we set off out for dinner, planning on calling in at Blue Turtle bar for the live music afterwards.  Quite a nice breeze this evening as we wandered along the top road (as we call it) towards Yali supermarket, left or right, we turned left and went to Ata Meze Grill, it was very busy, so waited quite a while, but the food was good, I had grilled halloumi cheese to start and a huge shrimp casserole and Bob had garlic mushrooms and mixed grill.  We were so full, even though only had our fruit and yoghurt all day, we must stop ordering starters as the puffy breads and dips and other things you get complimentary are more than enough!

After dinner, we wandered back down into town stopping as the cash machine to get some English money to pay for the car hire tomorrow, a quick stop in A101 for kitchen roll that we had forgotten the day before, lovely welcome as we walked by from the Kaya boys, held on tightly to my pandora bracelet and ring when Kadir the magician appeared!!! promising them we will go in for dinner one evening, just amazes me watching his disappearing tricks! it was getting late, but we wanted to still go to Blue Turtle Bar, only a few people in there, Baris made us as welcome as ever, an English lady and her Turkish husband were singing and they were brilliant.  Almost midnight now and back home we went, our bed was calling.

Monday - Awoke feeling like I was in a sauna, the air con wasn't on, thinking on no has it broken completely now, then realised the fan wasn't on either! Bob was already awake, telling me no electric!! it was 5.38am! hadn't even managed to sleep past 6am this morning now! We are sitting on the balcony as much cooler, managed to make a coffee on the hob with a lighter, so that's something I suppose. Gradually it is getting light, so am doing my blog very early this morning, but obviously won't be able to post it as no internet yet!

Interestingly it is surprising how many people are up and about at this time of day, quite liking people watching from the balcony at 6am! the pool man doesn't arrive until 7am so am thinking I might go in for a quick dip before he gets here.

There are lots of kittens on the otherside of the road too, and one little one has just ventured through our gate and drinking out of the pool, they must be so thirsty.  We are sat looking at Yellow Villa too, Antler if you were still here we could wave to you!!

Well it's 6.45am now and still no electric, too stifling to go back to bed, so off for a stroll! Was lovely this morning, lots of people about obviously the same idea as me, too hot to sleep, stopped off at the bakers, amazes me how many people are eating breakfast this time of the morning, loaf purchased, couldn't slice as no electric! and a little treat for Bob a lovely warm cheese pastry! that's all I can describe it as, but the smell walking back was yummy! they had 4 choices, spinach and feta cheese, meat, cheese or potatoe! Maybe we'll have to try them all as they all looked delicious.  On the way back I passed the shop in the Kalamar Road that sells sunchair cushions and bean bags, so trusting they are left out all night, would never happen in the UK.  Greeted outside our gate by the lovely dog from next door called Guman, he has taken a liking to our wall and seems to get so excited when he sees us, he is so cute.

The smell of freshly brewed coffee greeted me when I walked in, so Bob was very happy when I presented him with his breakfast treat from the Bakery! Just sat down to eat and the electric came back on yeah!

We are picking up our car hire at 9am today, still haven't fully decided on where we are going but will let you know in a day or two ....

Sx

Tyros - Hopefully next year our holiday dates may cross over with you and Mrs Tyros  :D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:29:24 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2015, 02:23:01 PM »
I'm liking the sound of your possible Rhodes adventure next year and looking forward to hearing how it went for you Kalkan regular  - please report back.

Well it really won't be long now before I can do that early morning walk and swim with you Jayne. The hours and days are really dragging their feet though.

You're really having a ball and I'm loving your reports. Enjoy your day today and see you soon.  :) :) 8)

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2015, 08:03:13 PM »
Bob and Jane....another excellent post that makes me feel that I am already in Kalkan. I'm feeling the heat,  imagining the walk back up the hill from the harbour and tasting the Efes. Only 13 more sleeps and we'll be there. Who's counting???? WE ARE!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Shirl & Bob - We've Finally Gone and Done It!

Started by Bob & Jayne on Holiday Reports and Reviews

68 Replies
Last post June 22, 2018, 04:33:39 PM
by Babs
xx
Shirl is Back in Town

145 Replies
Last post September 04, 2016, 07:46:50 AM
by Bob & Jayne
xx
Sassy Shirl is Reunited - Absolutely Fabulous!!!!

80 Replies
Last post September 05, 2017, 09:27:08 AM
by Lizilu20

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal