Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: so far  (Read 19448 times)

Offline seasick

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
so far
« on: May 01, 2014, 03:10:47 AM »
been here since Monday at 2.30pm
1st time back sine 2012 to the day!

got here to rain at dalaman but clear in kalkan
staying at the meditrainee apartments again,,,number n3 this time.

a few thngs I have noticed

exchange rate 3.55 on arrival but dropped to 3,5 now ever since
lots of places not open still (of course lots are though) some not include fez, kaptan, korsan, yakamooz on harbour (some with no sign either!

had wonderful evening meal at mussaka on Monday as good as always with great service and in our top 5 still

Tuesday at trio, now this was our fav  last time, but sadly not as good as before and the most expensive so far.

Sade tonight (make sure you book as very small, was the old mussaka a few years back I think?) as you probably know tables very close together, very tight space in general, sat at 7.55 ordered fairly swiftly but waited until 8.55 for starter (garlic mushrooms, with no garlic taste for me, and fish cakes for wife) waited another 30 mins for main after finish of starter, sea bass with garlic prawns for wife and filet steak for me, both good, but mussaka much better but I have been up most of the night since, of course this could be a coincidence and nothing to do with the meal there, overall a slight let down considering this is no 1 on trip advisor....

went to the likya hotel and spa on Tuesday to take a look around (as work in the travel industry) loved it here by the way and there are some fab late deals on it from £575 for a week in may (see Anatolian sky)
fantastic views and pool area, nice pool bar where we spent a couple of hours

one thing that has surpised me somewhat, its very cold at night (Wasn't this same time 2 years ago and according to others this time last year either (some people are sitting in coats) , I had a  shirt with sweater over the top and was still chilly last night, we actually came home early as we were both cold (1st time I have brought a sweater with me and so glad I did....a fair bit of ran today too...

old town work is still going on but nothing major, lots of building elsewhere, villas, apartments etc around the village.
real mix of people here too not noticed before, dutch, danish, german etc some of the bars doing Danish beer too now! but this makes it rather nice...

prices seem higher marginally I guess because exchange rate is so much better, don't see an effes anwhere really for under 10 lira before tip, cocktails over 20 lira, some as high as 25..but still excellent value considering we are surrounded by the place we all love...1 drink each and 2 courses for dinner still around the £40 to £50 mark as an average.

not sure where to eat Thursday night but will let you know!

paul/susan

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12022.0

Offline seasick

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
Re: so far
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 03:19:12 AM »
ps moonlight bar not open either.....

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 08:09:02 AM »
Great first report of the season that I have seen so far - keep them coming seasick as we have 5 weeks to go and these kind of reports keep me going til then - Mussakka is one of our favourites too so pleased it still as good as ever - Gourmet is also a favourite of ours. Enjoy the rest of your time.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 10:16:50 AM »
thanks for posting, seasick. As chrissy1 says, keeps us all going until our on trips - just over 5 weeks for us too :)
Good to know Mussakka is still up there - just shaded it as our favourite last year. Mehmet has done a great job here - doesn't seem 5 minutes ago that he started his new place in the village (you're right seasick, sade took over from Mussakka Brasserie two years ago..) and they took a polaroid photo of your table and put it in the box with your bill :)
He was absolutely right to focus on the harbour restaurant, it is consistently good and the service is spot on.
Love the Likya Pool and bar area - the views are fabulous from here :)
Please keep us updated with your trip - and its good to get a view from somebody in the travel industry as you will look at a place with different eyes to a holidaymaker.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline seasick

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 08:01:29 AM »
super weather here yesterday, unbroken sun, but still very cold at night even at 7.30pm
jumper again, thank god I have a washing machine!! as only brought one jumper!! lol

exchange rate still 3.5 here.

no sign of any movement at moonlight yet (Assume as they cant really have seats outside anymore?)
utopia next door open though
very loud dance music from an apartment behind us today! very frustrating! hope not again today
nearly all restaurants open last night being may 1st

we ate at baharat, again as good as always, had amazing lamb shank on bed of mash, wife had seafood casserole which she loved too, service superb, extra portion warm bread offered at starter and almond liquer after dinner (nice touches)
only 3 tables in at 8pm...bottle of water, one beer, 2 courses each 125 lira.....superb...

10 am here this morning an unbroken skies again, but sun not on balcony and air chilly still until then, so sitting just inside with coffee planning next holiday (most of it booked to new England for the fall, after Montana and Wyoming last year at the same time)

one thing to note, we love dogs as we are dog owners and we also contribute to the dog charity here, but my god there are so many more this year, some younger dogs and puppies too, it breaks our heart as we want to take them all home with us...one followed us all the way home and was so nervous last night bless him....

only have one thing to do today, finish my book and decide where to eat, heaven

cheers

paul/susan

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 08:09:47 AM »
Don't use up all the sunshine, save some for us for the next two weeks.  Will be seeing that view this time tomorrow (baring any hold ups on the flight that is).

Already have two cardys, two fleeces and two jumpers earmarked for packing.  Best get on and do that.  Leaving for the airport at lunchtime.

Happy holidays.

Jo

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 11:11:01 AM »
Early May is chilly of an evening - I do remember BH borrowing pashminas on roof top restaurants and then buying two jumpers from V&B :)
seasick, do Utopia have seats outside? They appear to be in the same predicament as Moonlight as far as the bollards and pavement is concerned. Amazed they haven't opened yet though...even without the seats outside they have a covered terrace ???
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 03:31:42 PM by kalkan4eva »

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 11:18:18 AM »
Utopia had a few seats in the new road last night so pretty sure Moonlight will be doing the same.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 12:51:15 PM »
Great reports Seasick, keep them coming please.

I'm surprised at how chilly it is now as the weather was beautiful in early April. Definitely only needed a light cardigan at night. I took (apart from holiday clothes) boots, jacket, 2 cardigans and 2 long sleeved tops. Only needed the cardi's though at night. The weather can be unpredictable early season, but were so lucky to have it so warm while we were there.

Offline seasick

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 08:22:24 AM »
just after 10 am again today , not a cloud in the sky, wife happy as made her coffee and toast! and she is on the balcony taking in sea views with candy crush!!!!

went to agora restaurant last night at 7.45, another fab meal (menu really well thought out) I had aubergine filled with tomatoes, garlic, mushrooms, peppers and pistachio nuts!! for starter excellent, wife had fish cakes (again)
main I had grilled sea bream,  on bed of mustard mash with creamed spinach, just superb, wife had seafood pasta also excellent
another in my top 5 restaurants, superb service and food and restaurant well done
bottle of water, 2 soft drinks, 2 starters, 2 mains, 1 desert, 123 lira before tip, amazing value....

we are off for a walk armed with tins of dog food, paper plates, and water as a mum with her 4 puppies has been dumped on the road towards yali beach club (just below lykia residence hotel) 3 puppies have been homed but mum and one more remain, we saw them both yesterday on a walk....
I hate humans for doing this to these poor dogs, but it seems the whole of turkey dumps there dogs her at night as they know everyone else is doing it!!!

I feel breakfast coming on and some football later seeing as its Saturday, but might avoid yali bar which is one of my fav bars as his beer is 10 lira this year, lots of others including mussaka on harbour at only 6 lira which is a fair difference, but you never know could be at yali's anyway later....LOL

cheers

paul

Offline happy days

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 25
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 08:39:24 AM »

we are off for a walk armed with tins of dog food, paper plates, and water as a mum with her 4 puppies has been dumped on the road towards yali beach club (just below lykia residence hotel) 3 puppies have been homed but mum and one more remain, we saw them both yesterday on a walk....
I hate humans for doing this to these poor dogs, but it seems the whole of turkey dumps there dogs her at night as they know everyone else is doing it!!!

..... and it is a well known fact that the reason why everyone dumps their dogs  in Kalkan is because they know KAPSA and all the other animal loving tourists will feed them. Meanwhile the packs of street dogs grow as well as the night time barking. And by the way  before you jump diwn my throat I love animals but I also like to feel safe whilst out walking and also to have a bit if peace and quiet at night without the use of ear plugs!!

Offline Derbyshire

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 08:40:17 AM »
Hi paul thank you keep them coming ! Is white table closed this year also is fountain bar open thank you enjoy your time in best place in the world !

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 08:57:49 AM »
Whıte table closed and the Fountaın bar has moved to the garden area on the road that Isos Restaurant ıs on (not open yet) Isos reopened thıs week too.
Gourmet should be openıng tonıght.
The town looks great after a massıve clean up.Some parts not fully completed but nothıng that wıll spoıl a holıday or stop you walkıng anywhere.Plenty of shoppıng opportuntıes too - 2 new bag shops have opened!
Not all of the restaurants are open yet but even Merkez was open thıs mornıng - hooray! Kalkan ıs returnıng to normal!!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 10:41:03 AM »
thanks for another update, seasick...keeps us all going back here in the UK. We are expecting to pay 10tl for a large Efes in the bars - is the 6tl at the harbour for a large Efes? Might need to re-think our habitual drinking venues if so ;D ;D
Watching sport in Kalkan :o :o God forbid!
Try to keep us updated about your stay if you can :)

Offline don

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 12:06:07 PM »
Nice to get your reports seasick, but armed with dog food. Do you not think this is part of
the reason people dump their dogs in Kalkan knowing that the Brits will feed the dogs.
I know this will upset the dog lovers but there are a lot of people who would like to wander round Kalkan
Without packs of dogs following them or hovering around your table whilst eating.
This was not sent in anger more with concern.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2014, 12:38:10 PM »
Thanks for taking time to post seasick.  Giving us a real taster for our visit!! It can't come soon enough ;)    Keep them coming!
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline seasick

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2014, 01:03:32 PM »
I am torn on the whole thing, I love dogs and hate to see them suffer especially puppies.
and yes the barking wakes me up a fair bit, but I'm in a warm bed with food and surrounded by love, these poor things are not,
everyone needs a helping hand especially the puppies until they can take care of themselves, the dogs didn't create the problem and us holiday makers sure didn't !

until the town and council start to care its only going to get worse rather than better and some food for a puppy and her mum but more so some water wont harm anyone or change anything, but it makes us feel better...along with donating the animal charity here.. without them re homing and nutering them it would get way worse..

for those that don't like the dogs or don't feel safe!, there are plenty of other places to go nobody forces anyone to come here , its not the dogs faults  its the owners who need finding and putting away

spare a thought while you eat you fabulous dinner, have drinks and go home to bed after for those less fortunate, including dogs.

Offline don

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 01:16:20 PM »
I've been coming here before the dog problem, recognising there is a problem seems to be the REAL problem, with authorities and a section of the people who come to Kalkan.
Kindness  is not always the answer to this problem.

Offline happy days

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 25
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2014, 01:36:46 PM »
I've been coming here before the dog problem, recognising there is a problem seems to be the REAL problem, with authorities and a section of the people who come to Kalkan.
Kindness  is not always the answer to this problem.

Don you're a brave person suggesting there is a problem with dogs. Expect the missiles to fly your way on even suggesting it. The street dogs have made Kalkan what it is and that is why the town is booming. Absolutely nothing to do with the tourist dollar. How dare you suggest otherwise!

Offline don

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2014, 01:46:47 PM »
Hi Happy Days. I said a section of the people going to Kalkan.
What has that to do with tourist dollar.?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan Floods

Views: 6516
By: winlaton mag
Kalkan Beach