Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Shirl is Back in Town  (Read 37032 times)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Re: Shirl is Back in Town
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 10:02:03 PM »
Nothing will stop our intrepid Shirl!
Look forward to hearing all your adventures!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 04:56:09 AM »
Monday but definitely not Mundane! We aren’t sure what time zone we are in, Bob waking around 5am every morning, followed by me at 6am! Whether it’s the heat, the minor bird or just the sheer excitement of being in Kalkan, we don’t know, but to be honest we don’t care either!

After lovely fresh coffee, sat on the balcony looking at the beautiful view of Mouse and Snake, it was going to be a first for me today! Plan is this holiday to have a walk every morning before breakfast, Shirl has been trying hard to get a bit fitter this year, and have managed to do the Couch to 5K over the past 3 months, and if you knew me I am definitely not a runner, but have done it and am so pleased with myself! But running isn’t an option for me out here, so am going to keep up my steps on my Fitbit by a walk every morning, (Fitbit hasn’t broken yet K4E, but I keep looking at it!), so a walk it is, and today an early morning swim in the sea! Off I set, 6.48am!, town was already very busy, with the greengrocers setting up, the smell from the Bakery was divine, tried not to look in that direction, but gosh it smelt fabulous.By this time 2 dogs had joined me, I tried to discourage them, as felt uneasy, but they were so sweet, and followed me all the way down to the town beach. I walked along the harbour, all the boats moored up and the boat boys all sleeping on their night duty.  Such a lovely sight.  Thinking I would be the only one, NOT! There were 8 other people in the sea, it was absolutely beautiful.  Thought it would be cold but it definitely wasn’t.  Tried to get out of the water as lady like as I could, but it just didn’t happen.  I managed to stay upright just though!! The 2 dogs were still waiting for me, and true to form they walked slowly with me all the way home.

Our day unfolded as follows, trip to the Bank, as we had on Saturday, but it was shut then, took our ticket and queued for what seemed liked ages, but Bob was eventually seen and money changed to lira. Exchange rate in the Bank today was 3.98.  Next stop Turkcell to top up the Turkish mobile phone, it took ages in there, but we were happy as the air conditioning was lovely.  Down to the beach we went again.  Sunbeds this year 15Tl for 2 including an umbrella.  Quite a few people on the beach today, so that was good to see. There weren’t many boats out, which wasn’t so good, but hopefully things will pick up soon for them all.

We went to Kleo at lunchtime, we were made so welcome, and we sat and watched the world go by for an hour or so. Their menu looks great, so will definitely be going again.

We didn’t leave the beach until almost 6pm, and are already planning our moonlit beach picnic sometime this week, with of course a moonlit swim.

Taxi back home or a stroll through town to see where we are going for dinner tonight, the stroll was favourable at the time, but so regretted it when we finally arrived back. It was scorching! 

Back home and Bob wanted to try out his take on making a Daquiri in the new Blitzer! And very good it was too, too good to be honest, because after a large glass, I was feeling a bit woozy.  I stopped at one though, as time was getting on and dinner was a bit overdue.  We finally went out around 9pm and wandered down into town, not sure where we wanted to go, but stopped at a new little restaurant called Sehzade Kebab, which is just below Coriander. Lovely food and lovely people, we will definitely go back.

We had had a perfect day, but the only thing that isn’t so good, is the ankles are starting to swell and I have 3 enormous bites on my legs and back! Not sure when, how and why, but they aren’t a pretty sight!

Kekova today so will report back very soon!

Sx

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 06:06:41 AM »
Good morning! Sorry to hear about the bites.  Try the hot spoon trick..it is supposed to work a treat! Great job on the couch to 5k thing.  Enjoy your walk today x

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2016, 07:07:29 AM »
What is it with this walking nonsense? If people insist on keeping it up then I may well have to do the same!
Hope you have a lovely day Shirl, I'd like to do Kekova again this year.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2016, 11:35:23 PM »
Well done with the walking Jayne, keep it up. Not only will you be helping balance the calorie intake (I speak from experience...) you will get to see parts of Kalkan that you would miss if you travelled in a car or taxi. Hope the Fitbit holds up, I have a swanky new one but I wish I could have just had my old one working in Kalkan as the step count was pretty serious...!
Aaah the fat feet and Mosquito bites....it's a bi-product of being in Kalkan. How's the KCP? Kalkan Calf Pain? With your daily walks it will kick in sooner. Love the dog convoy thing, used to get them all the time when we stayed in Komurluk and walked back and to...not any more though, really miss them. Someone told me the dogs are getting protection from being close to a human...not sure how true it is.
Hope you had a grand day at Kekova - I'm sure you did :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2016, 08:57:58 AM »
So glad Kleo's open again, you can't beat a good mooch and a pitstop overlooking the harbour/beach. Note how I said "mooch". I really admire your walking regime and I have every intention of mooching in your footsteps soon. We will be like the tortoise and the hare  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2016, 09:21:45 AM »
No one has really mentioned Kleo this year, glad to hear it's doing well.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2016, 04:39:06 PM »
Tuesday……….

Well we had the most fabulous day from start to finish! Collected by car at 8.45am and taken to the top of the town for our transfer coach to Kekova.  A friend’s son and girlfriend were also on the trip, so was lovely to see them both. The coach journey is magnificent, such beautiful views. A quick stop on the road just outside of Kas to take in the view and photos overlooking Meis and we were off again. Hundreds of mountain goats were on the road on the way, I have never seen so many goats, they are such lovely animals.

We reached our destination and boarded the boat.  All I can say is that Kekova never disappoints! From the scenery to swimming, lunch, views and the history of the place! My promise today was to finally after 6 years walk to the top and take a selfie at the castle, but you’ve probably guessed it, was so hot, we only made the ice cream shop and a wander round. We bought some fresh oregano/thyme, not sure what it is, they told us Oregano but Google Translate converts both to Kekic! A fridge magnet, and some local olive oil, and we were done.  There were 2 huge turtles they must have been the size of dustbin lids, and we stood for ages trying to get a photo with their head out of the water, we just about managed it. 

Two things to learn from today though, don’t stop to look at the herbs that are growing, a lovely Turkish lady came over to speak to us, and insisted on breaking off the biggest piece of Basil for me, it was like a bouquet, the Captain on the boat put it in water, and believe it or not we got it back to the apartment, and have planted it out to see if it roots again!

Secondly, to my horror, I launched myself into the sea from the boat still wearing my Fitbit!! K4E, I wanted to cry! But guess what?? It’s still working! Lesson learnt, today its been in the beach bag all day!

Arrived home around 7pm, very tired, but so chilled and happy.  Bob cooked dinner for us, as all I could manage was a trip to the Balcony let alone town! By the time we had eaten it was quite late, and at almost midnight we decided to call it a day!

Wednesday……

My morning walk this morning a round trip to town for eggs! Didn’t realise the supermarkets don’t open until 8am, but the chicken shop that sells the cheese was open, so popped in there, it’s like an Aladin’s cave, so many lovely things in such a small shop.  I bought some Feta cheese and eggs, he sells fresh village eggs too. Greengrocers as always was buzzing, popped in for some tomatoes, so different from at home, they are delicious. We have eaten loads since we’ve been here already. A walk home via Kalamar road looking at the lovely properties in the side roads, and Turkish breakfast was in the making for us.

Indigo Beach Club was our port of call today.  Back down the hill and a quick walk along to watch the boats going out, almost all of them were out today.  Spoke to Captain Abdi on Pina-X to confirm our bookings, and Adem in Yildez, Osman on the other Yildez had already left and it was only just after 10am. Looking forward to our day on there next Monday. 

If you haven’t been we thoroughly recommend Indigo Beach Club, all new decking, easy access to the sea, lovely menu and no hard sell.  10Tl per person for a sunbed and umbrella, we were there 6 and a half hours.  At 5pm, they bring freshly cooked cake round, we have had a fab day. The evening menu looks amazing, they do a BBQ set meal too. The owner told me that his favourite thing on the menu is the shrimp casserole, and I love it, so will definitely be trying that. 

Back home now via the supermarket on the Harbour, Bob is very pleased, he bought a case of Tuborg Gold for the duration (his favourite beer) better hurry up here Automan or it will be gone!!

It’s been a busy day, we’ve booked for Bread & More Curry night with Jawad on Friday, phoned Adem on the Kas Road and booked to go there too, such a lovely man, he remembered us so well, looking forward to seeing him soon.

Tonight we are off to Moonlight Terrace for dinner with Chris the Spark and Bernie, and feel after today I need a sleep first.

Will report back soon!

K4E, my ankles are swelling nicely, the bites aren’t so bad now, and Bob’s calfs are painful!

Lizilu can't wait to be mooching with you guys! Don't forget our traditional annual foot photo too!  :D

Thursday - Market day, and we need a salad spinner…..

Shirl

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 04:59:50 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2016, 05:46:58 PM »
Shirl....a salad spinner? You know how to spoil yourself!  :laugh:
I read your post just before I left the office this afternoon and sighed so loudly that people asked me what was wrong! What's wrong? I want to be in Kalkan!!

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2016, 06:16:23 PM »
Another fab report.  We are really looking forward to Kekova...a first for us! Wanted to try Indigo club with Nat but someone told us some things that turned out not to be true, so maybe I can convince the boys to try it in 21 days time!

We will be eating in alot this year so good to hear about the fab fresh food we can get on the doorstep! We tend to just walk past these little shops!

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2016, 07:21:01 PM »
Thanks for the descriptive report. Is it true that your last post is now available, in paperback, at all good bookshops?  lol I love it when we get a detailed report as it really gets the imagination going and you can almost  believe that you are actually in Kalkan.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2016, 08:16:12 PM »
Another fab report Shirl.

Enjoy your evening   :)

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2016, 09:00:07 PM »
Fab report, Jayne! I love that little deli shop - such a variety of things and their cheeses are amazing, too!

Offline BeyazGül Apt.

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2016, 09:39:21 PM »
The little deli shop is called 2M Cadde, Memet will also do delivery service.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2016, 05:24:02 AM »
Thanks for all your lovely comments guys.  :D early morning walk will incorporate the market today!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2016, 08:34:08 AM »
And a salad spinner......apparently!  ;D

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2016, 09:29:15 AM »
Said purchase accomplished Babs  ;D. Will report back later  :D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2016, 11:20:54 AM »
Loving your reports Jayne...! We love Kekova too and went again this year after an absence of many many years. Nothing has changed in all that time, I'm happy to report. Next year for the castle eh?
A wet Fitbit...oh no! You need to buy a bag of uncooked rice and dunk it in for 24hrs. I also got mine wet - just got in the shower with mine for absolutely no reason. It was still working but a couple of days later I couldn't see the screen as it was full of condensation. The lovely people at Fitbit told me to do the rice thing as it draws out any moisture that may be trapped in the "inner workings" which can ultimately kill it....eeeekkk!
Did you only buy a salad spinner on that stall in the market..? I always think if I was an owner I'd buy all sorts on that stall every single week. That stall and the shop near Carefour...
Shame about the ankles Jayne - have you tried the fat feet pills? I think Mother Nature is very cruel, when we want to wear our nice open, blingy sandals that we cant wear at home because its cold and raining, our feet chub up and refuse to play ball.
Keep the reports coming...

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2016, 08:32:21 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyable read Shirl......looking forward to your next post.........hopefully quite soon.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2016, 07:18:40 AM »
Thursday……….

Well Market Day, so off we went, thinking we would get up there before the sun! but it was already boiling by the time we left! First stall was the spice man and lady with the Turkish delight, before I knew it I was sampling it, a bit early, but didn’t want to be rude! Delicious it was too, so we said we would buy some next time to take home.  New this year are blu-tooth Beats earphones, and before I could say anything the guy had them on my head with music blaring out from his phone! Brilliant things though, so have those on my list too for next week! Salad spinner now purchased, some lovely fruit and salad and we were done! Off to the Bus Station next to check out the timetable for Kapatus and Kas.  They seem to run every half hour until 23.30pm! so will be planning a trip there soon. It was only around 10am and it was very hot, so we took a slow walk back laden with all our goodies in our tartan shopping trolley! Sounds naff I know, but this trolley has been a godsend this holiday already, even appearing at the beach with us, carrying all our towels etc! We’ve named it Scottie!

No plans for the rest of the day, so after dropping our stuff back and a quick freshen up, we wandered down and stopped at the Meldi Hotel for lunch and a swim.  What a lovely setting it is, very friendly people and lunch was lovely.  The people we spoke to seem to visit year after year, and we understood why, because it is lovely there.  We ended up staying there all afternoon, it was so relaxing.

Our plan tonight was our moonlit picnic at the beach.  We waited until the sun went down, loaded up Scottie with all our goodies (Bob had made a lovely spicy chicken salad), fresh figs and peaches from the market, a bottle of white and red wine and we were good to go! It was almost dark by the time we arrived, lots of people still there doing much the same.  Laid the table complete with cloth (well sunbed) and all was set. Wish I could post a photo on here, but those of you that I know on Facebook will see our feast!  Had a dip in the sea, it was so calm and very warm, Dire Straits on the Beats and we were in Paradise.

We left the beach around 11.30pm, the harbour was still very busy, which was a lovely sight as we walked along. Chatted to Osman on Yildez and Abdi on Pina X and off to the Taxi rank to go back up the hill.  We had a fabulous evening, but sleep beckoned now!

By the time we got back and had a nightcap (as you do) it was almost 1am by the time we got to bed.

Friday………

Well 8am we woke up this morning, so sleep pattern is getting better.  What will today bring?

Shirl

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Sea Front Promenade from town beach to Komerluk - back on?

Started by Jamera on General Discussion

14 Replies
Last post February 13, 2009, 12:18:51 AM
by Roxie
xx
Sun, Sea and Shirl!

Started by Bob & Jayne on Holiday Reports and Reviews

100 Replies
Last post September 05, 2015, 10:18:37 PM
by Skunk
xx
Shirl & Bob - We've Finally Gone and Done It!

68 Replies
Last post June 22, 2018, 04:33:39 PM
by Babs
xx
Sassy Shirl is Reunited - Absolutely Fabulous!!!!

80 Replies
Last post September 05, 2017, 09:27:08 AM
by Lizilu20

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal