Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: September Summary  (Read 7971 times)

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 44
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
September Summary
« on: September 23, 2019, 12:54:20 PM »
I wasn't sure about writing a blog this visit but have decided to put finger to iPad with a summary of proceedings so far as I know I enjoy reading other people's blogs
We arrived Sat 21st , hubby and I are Kalkan veterans but we have brought along our daughter and her partner for their first Kalkan visit ( they've been to Olu before)
We are staying in a villa in Kiziltas above the D400 , I'm a Kalamar road girl but the use of the villa is a very kind gift from an ex colleague of my husband - 10 years after last working together my husband saw his name on FoK , contacted him and we met up here in May. he remembered a big favour my husband did for him all those years ago and wanted to reciprocate -we are very lucky .
We've spent a lot of time by the pool as it is so hot - we usually visit May & October and walk a lot but it has been very warm!
we had some 'lively'  neighbours the first week but much quieter this week up here.
We met up with some friends who were in Kalkan for their first visit - they asked me for advice about the Italian lakes back in May and ended up here! They have fallen in love needless to say?
Yildiz trip on Wednesday and Kaya mountain trip on Saturday were as good as always - my daughter loved the boat trip, she loves swimming in the sea and they thought the food fabulous .
Dinner has been Olive Garden, Akin, The Brothers, Akdeniz and Ahi so far.......a BBQ here with our friends and a Foto pizza and Ackitim delivery. All fab as usual
Breakfasts mainly here but Fener & Merkez both visited.
Drinks at Mini Bar, Merkez, Bade , Johnny's and Foto
For the first time in a very long time we flew Easyjet rather than TC - prefer TC times but couldn't get the flights we wanted. Never thought I'd be so glad to see that orange livery
Our friends were TC but flew out yesterday - dodged a bullet although the repatriation seems to be well organised so far .
I wonder how hotels such as the Oasis and Samira Exclusive will be coping with the queries
Tonight is 'date night' - I hate that term 😬Daughter and him are off to Korsan Fish Terrace, we haven't decided . Hubby said we should stay on and enjoy the peace 😂
Restaurants booked for the rest of the week so far - Cinar &  Baharat
Haven't seen the town so busy in about 5 years - it's good to see.
Rose man and nut man still thriving 😉

Sent from my iPad

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=14283.0

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
Re: September Summary
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 03:02:01 PM »
Love reading these holiday reports, thanks so much for sharing with us :)

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 03:30:41 PM »
So one day it seems you have all the time in the world in Kalkan and then before you know it its home time ☹️
Week 2 - Monday night we went to Sunset for dinner a deux........great food but a very odd evening....... all sea edge tables for 2 were taken , there was a table for 4 free......we hadn't booked so were  happy to sit anywhere .....as we were shown to a table the owner made a big deal,of pointing out a water's edge table where a couple were having coffee and said that we could move there......when they left he duly seated another couple there and asked us to move to the table for four......we were happy where we were but asked why we weren't given the table he had told us we could have - the other couple got wind of what was going on and wanted to swap - we didn't let them as it where we were seated wasn't  an issue - it was the fact the owner had made it an issue! He then kept apologising which was irritating. Once is fine . The food was delicious though - sea bass and aubergine for me. I also had a Brussels sprout - a first for me in Kalkan.
Didn't hang about for dessert and was the first time we have never left a tip in Kalkan.  Had a nightcap in Jimmys with the kids.
Tuesday we had breakfast at Kaya and lazed by the pool - so hot!
Dinner was Baharat - so busy , great atmosphere and service - introduced the kids to the delights of their chateaubriand  - the men had this, daughter had Katsu chicken curry which remains her favourite meal here so far.
Wednesday was rainy in the morning so I made breakfast here with limited rations - a cheese sandwich eggy bread kind of thing. Went down very well. We headed down to town when the sun came out, along with the rest of the world and shopped a bit , fuelled by a lemonade at Fener and coffee and cake at Merkez.
Our evening foray was drinks at Minibar and dinner at Cinar - always a hit with us.
Yesterday was still a little overcast but stayed by the pool. it was not as overcast as we thought as there were some red faces and legs last night! We had a night off from the town and ate at Ackitim near the villa - great food , lovely service and a bargain price
This morning we deliberated about so many trips - but stayed by the pool! I walked into town to stick up with last day supplies. Dinner tonight is Isos kitchen - we fly tomorrow evening so will,have a late lunch at Ata or Chillies.
Before we arrived I'd planned on a boat trip, Kaya trip, trout farm lunch, trip to Patara, a beach club day and a trip to Kas. We managed the first two! It really has been very hot and we are not used to a villa and pool so have made the most of it. Our daughter and partner want to come back so they can do the check list then 😉

Sent from my iPad

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 07:05:14 AM »
Thanks for sharing Alibobs. Your experience in Sunset reminded me of a similar thing that happened to me and Tracey (different restaurant). I personally felt that our overall dining experience was a bit hit and miss this year......some very good but others less than ordinary. I suspect that it was down to the fact that the Town was extremely busy, there seemed to be more larger groups dining together and some of the service was less attentive. We've decided to give Kalkan a miss next year as, for us, it has lost some of its appeal.

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 09:42:16 AM »
Sorry to hear that  Keith - As I've said we don't normally go at this time and the town was extremely busy in our first week.......quietened  off in the second.......we booked most tables in advance as there were four of us in the main........definitely more choice of premium tables for four than two.
I heard two other couples say the same thing about restaurants - both were in larger establishments and having a perfect time until larger groups came in........
I would say that the meals we had this year were all excellent though - we were trying to choose an overall favourite at the airport last night, Baharat had the vote by 3:1 but all the others tied for second place .
I prefer Kalkan earlier or later in the season because of the temperature but perhaps because of the ambiance too .
Will you opt for somewhere else in Turkey ?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 09:45:01 AM by Alibobs »

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 02:02:34 PM »
Don't get me wrong....we still loved Kalkan and enjoyed some fabulous food. We tend to go there the first 2 weeks in September. My overall opinion though is that it is starting to lose its charm..........this is what had brought us back year after year. We are starting to look at our options for next year. We discovered Kalkan by chance and hope to find that other special place.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 04:30:22 PM »
Keith you are not alone with your thoughts about Kalkan, have heard several similar comments sadly. Its is losing its 'sparkle' maybe the business owners have become complacent.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
A summary.....

Started by Helshe on Holiday Reports and Reviews

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2014, 01:55:53 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
22 September - 29 September - Looking for accommodation sleeps 4

Started by sausagedog on Accommodation and Hotels

6 Replies
Last post June 05, 2018, 08:44:59 PM
by sausagedog
xx
Somewhere to stay in September

Started by bazza1970 on Accommodation and Hotels

12 Replies
Last post April 13, 2013, 04:00:02 AM
by Christina
xx
hot enough late September?

Started by jules on Weather

7 Replies
Last post March 29, 2008, 02:48:41 PM
by jules

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal