Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Patara and Puppies  (Read 2121 times)

Offline macrefield mom

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Patara and Puppies
« on: June 14, 2014, 09:14:19 PM »
Well our holiday has slipped away and we are back in the UK, tired but refreshed!  My holiday reports stopped short due mainly to lack of decent Wifi and also my android phone just is so frustratingly slow and key pads tiny!

So....we called Mehmet to take us to the Patara sunset with our neighbours and their two friends over form UK.  He pulled up in an old mini bus which probably has never seem an MOT in 20 years, his beautiful little girl giggling in the front passenger seat and off we went.  Took us 10 minutes to get to the roundabout up past the petrol station, all in first gear while we all laughed our socks off.  When we eventually pulled away from the traffic light in second we all gave a loud cheer. Up the hill in second, chugging away we all offered to push but we got to the brow of the hill and into third!  Big cheer!  Then all the way down to Patara from there and Mehmet was now getting the hang of his borrowed 'luxury' bus.  As we approached his restaurant and home, we made a quick call and little brother ran up, loaded a box of wine glasses through the windows followed by 2 x white and 2 x red and We ambled our way up through the track that winds through the forest leading o the top of the dunes and we were there!

Beautiful views along the stretch of beach, sun slowly sinking into a touch of cloud and we chose our spot for the sunset and our little Turkish mobile bar.  Just lovely.

Then, back into the clapped out mini bus which we had become very attached to and back to Mehmets restaurant for our supper.  Mixed Meze, salads, home made chips, sea bream, meatballs, chicken shish and more wine.  Neighbours wanted Vodka tonics but none at this restaurant, so off Mehmet went on his scooter to snaffle a bottle from somewhere. 'No problem' of course.

We finally filled our tummies so back into the mini bus for a return taxi back to Kalkan.  The bill was 90tl per couple, including transfers, food, wine, and all hospitality!  So special, just a lovely family to spend an evening with.

Next day was market day and I needed a new bed throw so headed for the stall with lovely Turkish designs.  Got a beautiful turquoise patterned throw embellished with whirling dervishes and Turkish figures which I knocked down to 120tl to include a matching pillow case.  Looks beautiful.

Snatched 10 DVD's for 10 for £10 for OH and a box of Turkish delight and headed for the hill back over the short cut to our apartment to avoid going down to the roundabout and then all the way up Kalamar road.  Just as soon as I hit the big slope, two little puppies with gin and tonic legs (all over the place) snuffled up to me.  Oh no, please don't follow me, I just can't bear it, so cute.  Tounges hanging out on a really hot day, they snuffled every corner for food, noses to the ground all the way behind me.  I knew when I got home our neighbours would not be happy bunnies,  They have 2 adopted cats and now have residency so I knew that bringing two puppies to our gate would not be welcomed with open arms.  So I strode up our steps with my action plan in place....sorry but I just need to make sure these two little wee girls get a good drink and some food before they hit the road again and I am not going to take no for an answer,  I must have meant business....a big bowl of water came out and I promised to feed them away from our gates, so two happy little girls gulped a big bowl of water and shared a banquet of bread, ham and milk before they trotted off. My conscience persuaded me that I had built their strength up for another few days, hopefully finding their way to survive a new tough life ahead. It's not easy.

Our last evening took us back to the Fish Terrace.  It was packed out, we probably only got a table due to our longeavity in being in Kalkan for almost 12 years and we supported the local restaurants back then.  Food, service and a live jazz performance was excellent.  We felt exactly the same as we did so long ago when we first visited. The magic is back.

So our time was up.....Friday was spent washing towels in batches of coloured and whites, packing, a lunch spent with Murat at his new Meze bar on the harbour (Blue Merlin).  Lovely fresh Meze, best courgette fritters ever, prawn parcels, salad, home made chips, chilled white wine and cold beer.  Not a breath of wind...only the noise of boats, motor cycles going about their business and the locals updating their chalk boards outside of their restaurants with the world cup fixtures.

We headed home to enjoy a last swim and catch a few rays before a shower, last pack and the final G and T before the ice trays were committed to the sink!

Home at 2am this morning.  Big yellow lab raced down the stairs at the first turn of the key, our dog sitter still in dream land, lots of waggy tail and licks.  The little monkey who stopped us going in April probably did us a favour, as we had lovely weather compared to the week we would have had in April.  So we all got into bed (yes us and the lab) and dozed off happy and satisfied in every possible way.

;D

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12170.0

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
Re: Patara and Puppies
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 10:14:07 PM »
What a lovely report!  Could you please let us have the contact details of your Patara friends, we really fancy doing this for a change.  Glad you had such a lovely time and your beautiful lab welcomed you home with such enthusasiam!   We have two Golden Retrievers who sing together like canaries when we arrive back, bless them.  Kalkan beckons once again on Wednesday - cant wait!   :)

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 10:28:59 PM »
What a lovely report, always sad to lave Kalkan but when you have  someone waiting at home it is not so bad.

As for those puppies, I would have done exactly the same!!!! :)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 07:44:27 AM »
Fab report MM! What's that saying about everything happening for a reason! You owe the dog a big bone! On the dog front our westie launched himself out of an upstairs window yesterday in pursuit of a passing bird!
No broken bits, just a nasty graze and a £56 vets bill!

Anyway, the upsurge in holiday reports led me to sort out my holiday clothes yesterday...still got six weeks to go! I'm ready to go! ( the family aren't, but you snooze you lose!)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 11:55:10 AM »
Thanks for the lovely report macrefield mom......sounds like it was worth waiting for!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 04:00:56 PM »
Fabulous report macrefield mom. You captured the essence of Kalkan so well and I really felt like I was there peeping over your shoulder  :)
Please could you let me have the contact details for mehmet too as we would love to do a similar thing in august.
So glad you had a wonderful holiday. Sounds as though it was definitely worth waiting for  8)

Offline macrefield mom

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 05:28:09 PM »
Thank you so much for your comments and just to give you the number for mehmet which is +90544 6710798 he will happily accomodate up to 10 people.  He also has a very nice gift shop above the restaurant which he probably wont even tell you about! He is such a nice guy he wont impose any sort of. Selling job on you, however he has lovely gifts so do ask. His prices are great.

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 05:41:43 PM »
I bought some giant antique terracotta urns for my garden from Mehmet in January from his shop near the beach 'Patara Antik'. He delivered them to Kalkan for free the next day on his way out for a family day in Fethiye and gave me some lovely terracotta lanterns as a gift. I've never eaten at his place, but the free pick up - which I think is for 4 or more people - sounds very attractive.

Offline macrefield mom

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 06:25:05 PM »
Yes Christina he really cannot do enough to help.  Whilst we came back to the Uk in October, he delivered some things for me to Kalkan and looked at the two rugs we have on our upper floor which had been water damaged.  The insurance company attempted to restore them but were never great.  Mehmet said he could take them to Izmir and put them in a chemical bath which restores their colour, so he took them away, went carpet buying in Izmir, our rugs in  tow, and delivered them back to our neighbours in  April and has refused any form of reimbursement.

I took his little girl presents and chocolates and he still insisted on giving me a beautiful glass dish I admired.  His main goal in life he says is happiness with friends and family.  Money he thinks is just not as important and gets in the way of the key factors of being happy and content.  He genuinely means it. 

Enjoy his lovely hospitality.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Ten puppies

Started by AnnieM on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post December 09, 2008, 06:07:26 PM
by samson
xx
Getting to Patara

Started by Lucy Lou on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2016, 05:52:55 AM
by amber
xx
Patara

Started by felicity on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

6 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 09:27:59 AM
by rosarioguy
xx
Walking to Patara

Started by PaulB on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

7 Replies
Last post October 19, 2010, 08:00:02 AM
by PaulB

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

early morning 1

Views: 3236
By: andy4116
Kekova