Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: My experience...  (Read 3377 times)

Offline Amndwr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
My experience...
« on: August 19, 2010, 09:32:39 PM »
Hello...

As some of you reading this may be aware - this was a short holiday I took with my 15 year old daughter...mainly born out of having some spare flights to use.

We stayed at the Samira in town (hotel and apartments).  I thought this place was in a superb location - not too far out of town for walking into the restaurants in the evening, or walking down to the harbour in the morning.  Also about a 5 minute walk to the market (thursdays).

The Samira is very clean and on the whole, we found it to be a friendly place to stay.  The breakfast was okay, basic but okay.  The clientele - a mix of mainly english people - couples younger and older, large and small family groups - no large same gender groups or 18-30 types which was a relief... I don't want to concentrate too much on the hotel as we did tend to use it as our base - where we only slept really apart from the odd afternoon/last morning (where I met Scott of ScotsinKalkan) when we used the pool area. I cannot comment on the food at lunchtime or in the evening as we didnt eat there....

So - what did we do....

We used Palm Beach Club - very chilled and very enjoyable!  Costing 18TL (for one) for the beds/brolly/free taxi serivce -we spent about 40tl on lunch and drinks for two throughout the day... Great place and atmosphere - good food - easy access into the sea where you can access a diving platform and trampoline..

Moby Dick boat trip -

Proberbly our favourite day.  Cerep is the captain... we set sail just after 10am - the boat had 12 of us on it.... the usual chill out day with visits to mouse and snake island...Lunch was superb - fresh cooked fish and chicken with a variation of salads (potato/colslaw/green/tomato), homemade chips, bread, cheese and spinach rolls - gorgeous!  The atmosphere on the boat was very relaxed and homely - good chilled out music playing low and plenty of space. 

Yidlez 2 boat trip -

Another brilliant day - as others have reported many many times - Captain Osman and his lovely family are super hosts and another lovely day.

Meals - we ate at Oz Adana lots (6 times in 8 days) - sometimes lunch, sometimes supper....gorgeous pides....homemade fat chips (nodding)....and lovely people.  For those of you who like to cool off in front of a fan - this place has a huge one downstairs (we never made it up to the roof terrace) - we had the table with the fan everytime...  We took pide and salad to the airport for lunch on our last day - and even brought some home for a present for my husband...

Chilli's - another lovely place - great food/super staff - Mr. Happy and Co....

Mussaka - went there twice - I had the surf and turf...A large beyond belief piece of fillet and king prawns in garlic butter - heaven...I did my best - but cleaning my plate wasn't possible...  the second time - knowing the portion size - I chose the lightest thing I thought on the menu - King Prawns....just perfect!  and yummy.  My daughter is a plain eater - so opted for the chicken both times.... she loved it!

More often than not - we ended up having cake, smoothies and a g and t for me in Cafe Leon - a good location, free use of laptops and wifi....and some good music playing....and MOST importantly for me - a good array of fans with water spray...

A lovely relaxing holiday...Kalkan is still very beautiful, although seemed much busier than my last experience 3 years ago....

Thank you all for your endless willingness to share info on this great forum!

Amanda and Laura....x

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6195.0
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 09:34:31 PM by Amndwr »

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: My experience...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 09:41:07 PM »
Great report!  Just watch out for the "missing Kalkan blues" that will hit anytime now...I find looking at the webcams helps a wee bit  :laugh:

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 10:25:44 AM »
Great report Amanda!! We also loved Mussaka! It's reading reports like yours that keeps me going till
next year when we go back.
There is something about the place and the people that just draws you back isn't there.
Nicky

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 11:36:43 AM »
 :D Amanda and Laura
thanks for a great report, and thoughtful details within. You have certainly captured the flavour of the Kalkan and left me hankering for King Prawns in garlic butter ... just the thing for my pre holiday eating plan - not!
You boat trips sounded great - what would you say was the difference between the two? And I cant quite work out from reading all the posts if all boats do the same trips - or if the captains ave different routes ... do you have any thoughts on how that works?
Sounds like you were there during a very hot spell even for Turkey in August!
Next time you have spare tickets to use, you know there will be grateful recipients en mass here...  ::)
 Many thaks again
Lori
if you can walk you can dance

Offline lucyandsteven88

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 05:47:31 PM »
sounds fab!
I can't wait eeeeeek
Lucy
x

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 06:42:10 PM »
sounds fab!
I can't wait eeeeeek
Lucy
x
sure you will have an amazing time. Back for about 6 weeks and 7 weeks to go to my next visit and I can't wait either!!!!!!!!

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 08:43:04 AM »
Your holiday sounds fabulous, Amanda,and I'm glad it all went OK.

You had home made chips on Moby Dick?! Wow, I couldn't resist them.

It was good that you bumped into Scotsinkalkan & Cafe Leon sounds a cool place too, and that's somewhere else I haven't tried.

Thanks for sharing the experience and giving us more ideas for another time.

cheers

Antler

Offline Amndwr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 11:11:48 AM »
:D Amanda and Laura
thanks for a great report, and thoughtful details within. You have certainly captured the flavour of the Kalkan and left me hankering for King Prawns in garlic butter ... just the thing for my pre holiday eating plan - not!
You boat trips sounded great - what would you say was the difference between the two? And I cant quite work out from reading all the posts if all boats do the same trips - or if the captains ave different routes ... do you have any thoughts on how that works?
Sounds like you were there during a very hot spell even for Turkey in August!
Next time you have spare tickets to use, you know there will be grateful recipients en mass here...  ::)
 Many thaks again
Lori

Hi Lori...

I am not sure if they all do the EXACTLY same trips - the ones I have been on have been similar - sometimes its the mouse and snake bays - othertimes I have been to Kapatus beach and Patara's beach for a stop - then the bays afterwards....

The difference between the two this time was very slight...my daughter preferred the food on Moby Dick as the chicken and fish was fried (plain) - then the dishes she could avoid (salads) were seperate - the other was more traditional turkish food - casserole etc - although she ate well at both - and so did I...  Compared to the trips I did 3 years ago - very very similar - I would not have a problem choosing any...apart from the large boom boom one..

A x 

Offline Amndwr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 11:14:17 AM »
Your holiday sounds fabulous, Amanda,and I'm glad it all went OK.

You had home made chips on Moby Dick?! Wow, I couldn't resist them.

It was good that you bumped into Scotsinkalkan & Cafe Leon sounds a cool place too, and that's somewhere else I haven't tried.

Thanks for sharing the experience and giving us more ideas for another time.

cheers

Antler

Hi Mr. Antler...

The cafe leon has some super homemade cakes and cheesecakes - a nice quiet spot in the middle of the village...  Enjoy your trip in October - will log in to catch the reports...

A x :)

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 01:40:22 PM »
Hi Amandwr - thanks for that - sounds like pot luck for the actual trip - that's no problem as we've yet to experience any! (Gosh I find it so easy to get pulled in to over researching stuff even on holiday! I need to chill!)

I'm sure, however, the home made chips on Moby Dick will win the day if my OH gets to hear about them!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Pure Turkish Delight

Views: 3224
By: zros
Kalkan at night