Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Looking to the Future!  (Read 3776 times)

Offline Pauline354

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Looking to the Future!
« on: March 04, 2017, 09:33:21 AM »
Hello everyone, I'm a newbie here and can I just say this site is soooo informative!  I'm thinking about coming to Kalkan (from the UK) and renting a villa in August and possibly earlier in May with a view to looking at areas where we'd like to consider living in the future.  From research, Kalkan ticks every box  :)  I'm trying to find out what the area is like outwith holiday season, is there still a little life around?  Thank you for any information you can supply!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13638.0

Offline annie the tourist

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
Re: Looking to the Future!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 01:28:06 PM »
Hi pauline we've been going to kalkan for the past nine years, the last two years for three visits including out of season, November, and march/april.  I like Kalkan anytime but especially out of season.  There are a few restaurants open and all the supermarkets etc so you can get whatever you need. We too are thinking of retiring there although not sure if we will buy or rent a place, getting different advice from people so will probably rent first and see how it goes,
We have two holidays booked for this year may for two weeks and then october for another two weeks. If you decide to go in may we will be there from the 10th-24th and like you looking around at places so if you are there the same time message me and we could meet up.
You will love kalkan, not a day goes by without me wanting to be there 😊

Offline Pauline354

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 04:31:29 PM »
Thank you so much  ;)  I'll bear that in mind when I finally manage to arrange work schedules  :)

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 06:12:19 AM »
I love Kalkan summer and winter and live here all year round.Some residents stay for the summer and go away in the winter and others do the reverse.I think you have to experience both before you can make up your mind about living here all year.Also some areas are really quiet/dead over the winter months,you may like that or hate it!
I would definately recommend renting before buying, if you dont already own a property here.Although I love Kalkan winters, there are some locations that I personally wouldnt want to be living in all year round.
All food shops open all year and a small selection of cafes and restaurants.Good and cheap transport if you dont have a car.
Weather mixed and remember it can be very chilly,have a good think how you will heat your home.
Living somewhere is very different to visiting but trips to Kalkan at different times of the year would be really helpful,I am sure.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 04:10:10 AM by amber »

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 06:04:30 PM »
We lived in Kalkan for two years between 2013-2015; it's very different in the winter and you will find it much quieter (which may be a good or a bad thing depending on your viewpoint)! You can always pop over to Fethiye for a bit more life though.

There is a something of an "expat community" with quiz nights and film nights, etc,  organised by some of the Brits. It's a bit like a small country village in the UK in that respect - it can feel a bit clique-y sometimes but you can dip in and dip out as you see fit. We weren't retirees though, so our stance was always a bit different to the majority of the expats we know.

We only stayed there for two years - there was nothing that made us leave as such, it was always the plan - and were quite happy there BUT, as Amber says above, you MUST be prepared for it to be pretty chilly (and often wet) especially in January and  February. You can have some nice sunny days throughout the winter but when it rains, it REALLY rains and you definitely need some heating at night. The wood burner stoves (sorbas) are great but do require some thought as to placement, especially if you are in a property that is designed for summer holidays.  And the power and water cuts that are a pain in the summer are much more so in the winter!!

But...the locals are still friendly, the air is clean, the pace of life is slow and the scenery is still beautiful!

Overall I agree with Amber - rent a place first of all at different times of the year before committing to buying.

Hope this helps.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 08:13:10 AM »
MartynE's advise is good & well balanced but I have to say I don't see it quite the same way.

We arrived in Kalkan on the 5th Jan & have flights (EasyJet £13 each on- way 😜) booked to go home in the uk. I say go home because although we spend loads of time in Kalkan we could never live here full time. Family ties been the reason...miss them all to much 😍

We have spent large parts of the winter (and summer) at our villa over the last 9 years & without doubt this winter has been the 'chilliest' (I really don't class it a 'cold' ie : never had to scrap ice off the car windowscreen, only felt the need to wear a hoddie, never a 'winter' coat) we have known. Speaking to locals I have been told, over & over again, that this has been the 'coldest' winter anyone can remember since 1993.

Let me explain more..... this year (winter) for the very first time in 9 years we went out & brought 2 gas fires (we find air con on heat mode dries our throats) and they were needed for a fair few weeks, on & off'. I must add that during the 'chilly' spell we have had the builders in building another bedroom on the roof terrace so with walls, doors knocked out we have had to put up with a constant draft blowing down the stairs, this has no doubt made it chillier than it should of been in the evenings.

Of course it is winter time in Kalkan so it's going to be colder & wetter than summer. Mind you we haven't had much rain since we arrived, of course it has rained, but not as much as the other winters we have had. In short we have had some chilly days/nights, some wet days but we have also had some beautiful warm sunny days not least recently when it's been 'hot' with glorious wall to wall sunshine. My other half was sat on the pool terrace the other day reading a book and got sunburnt face & arms 😎🌞. I was flat out on a sunbed, sun cream on 😜  On the other side of the coin yesterday was not as nice & today it's horrid, high winds & rain, but not cold @ 54c. It's forecast to be pants for the next 3/4 days but then forecast to be lovely, with temps up to 70c 😜😎🌞

As for what it's like socially / things to do in winter, that's completely up to the individual.

We live what I can only describe as a 'normal' life 🤔  We get up, have breakfast then we may just potter about, might go walking, shopping, go out for lunch, visit friends, carry out jobs around the villa, might just watch tv (we have a Full uk TV package, a big Must as far as we are concerned) All shops are open in winter & there are more than enough restaurants open to keep you interested. There are usually things going on organised by expats & as Martyn has said you can 'dip in, dip out' as it suits you.

So in summary...winters are of course winters, even in Kalkan, but not winters anything like what we get in the uk. We Always have things to do if we want & a lovely social life. If fact we have a much better social life here in Kalkan than we do in the uk.

I agree Kalkan  in winter is of course not for everyone but we Love it 😍. Where I would agree 100% with MartynE & amber is would be prudent to rent first to see how it suits you 👍

Hope this helps

Onelove.
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 09:54:34 AM »
Have to correct you  re the shops being open Onelove, not all shops are open, certainly the food shops are & one or two others also but otherwise they are closed.

This winter has certainly been wetter & much colder especially the earlier part before Christmas, the snow came early & plenty of it this year. In comparison last winter was almost springlike the whole time with very little rain which caused problems with such things as the olive crop. 

Life here is very different all year through, winter time can be very boring, restricting,  but it's what you make it just the same as it would be anywhere you live.  Having just returned from a week in the UK where the daffodils are blooming bright yellow & the spring flowers are out, which look glorious, the trees here are in blossom & bursting into leaf. It just happens to be absolutely tipping it down in Kalkan & you can not see  the other side of the bay.   
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 10:51:21 AM »
I stand corrected DRBD 👍  I was referring to food shops 👍

Albeit, there are in fact a couple of clothes shops that stay open in winter & if your desperate there always a day out to Fethiye or a night or two in Antalya which is great fun, like a mini city break.

Haha, yes, it is pi**ing down here today in 'sunny' Kalkan 😂

Still don't get it when people say it's boring during the winter in Kalkan, we always have plenty to do... never get bored 🤔

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 05:53:50 PM »
I am never bored either,plenty to do in winter!
Kalkan has so many wonderful walks in the surrounding countryside.People often meet for breakfast or brunch but restaurants are open in the evenings too.There are talks,classes and various groups.Also a gym.Several sources of paperbacks.2 local charites involving locals and ex-pats, helping people and animals,both always looking for new volunteers.
Life is different here though and its only be experiencing it, that you can decide, if its for you.......

Offline Alex

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 09:59:15 PM »
the snow came early & plenty of it this year.

It snows in Kalkan???

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 06:45:50 AM »
Not often but higher up in the villages such as Bezirgan yes it does & some of the mountains around Kalkan certainly had more snow on the tops this year. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
The Future of EK

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

26 Replies
Last post April 17, 2013, 02:25:35 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Back to the Future

Started by foreverkalkan on The Everything Else Area!

8 Replies
Last post February 27, 2010, 09:20:40 AM
by JODARUYA
xx
The future of holidays to Kalkan

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

39 Replies
Last post October 15, 2018, 06:54:27 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Are you coming to Kalkan in the near future? If so can you help us?

Started by KAPSA Kalkan on KAPSA - Kalkan Animal Welfare Official Announcements

0 Replies
Last post May 14, 2012, 01:47:13 PM
by KAPSA Kalkan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal