Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Keith can..........in Kalkan!!  (Read 72224 times)

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 44
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Keith can..........in Kalkan!!
« Reply #180 on: September 06, 2019, 04:06:46 PM »
Glad Keith can post a blog in Kalkan - we are out next week 😊😉🐷

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #181 on: September 07, 2019, 07:48:23 AM »
We are up bright and early on Thursday sitting on our balcony and waiting for the sun to appear over the mountains. When it finally arrives the sudden rise in temperature tells us that we are in for another warm sunny day. We spend a couple of hours reading by the pool before heading off into town. We stop off at Bezirgans for a cool Efes before heading down to the harbour. We take the opportunity to call in at various shops to get ideas for gifts to take home and to take advantage of their air conditioning. We walk along the harbour and I can't help but notice that some of the restaurants are beginning to look a bit tired and in
need of redecoration. Sherlock Holmes stands out like a new pin and you can see why this establishment
is so popular. We walk along to the beach and stop off for lunch at Kleos. This is probably one of our
favourite locations for watching the world go by. After a filling lunch and suitably refreshed we take a slow walk up the hill to Bezirgans. We sit and watch as the young lad (didn't catch his name) is shown a card
trick, by an English lady. He looks mesmerised as she repeats the trick over and over until he has finally
grasped it. He has a couple of goes for himself before he attempts the trick on us. Needless to say it
worked and his face lit up with pure delight. Suitably refreshed we headed back to the villa. We are going to
have a quiet night at home, listening to music and generally chilling.
Friday was another day spent around the pool. There is a cooling breeze today and so we take the chance to do a bit of sun bathing. Why does the time pass so quickly when you are just lazing about? If I was at home doing nothing I would be totally bored and the time would drag by. Before we know it we are getting ready to
go out for an evening meal. You can probably guess where we stopped for pre-dinner drinks? We will be eating at the Teras restaurant (another first). We climb the steep flight of stairs and are shown to our table. The view of Kalkan is breathtaking from this vantage point and the restaurant is well presented. We order our starters and main course and soak up the ambience. We sit enjoying each others company and wait for our starters to be delivered. We continue waiting...........and waiting........and waiting. Believe it or not we were sat there for some hour and 20 minutes before our starters finally arrived. We hadn't ordered anything special and at one point Tracey was tempted to ask if they needed some help in the kitchen!! Other diners were commenting on how long the service was taking. The table next to ours had ordered a mixed cold meze starter and they also had a long wait for it to arrive. The wait between courses wasn't quite as bad although it was slow in comparison to our normal dining experience. My personal observation is that they didn't have sufficient numbers in the kitchen or waiting staff to cater for the number of covers that they needed to deliver. As we left the restaurant we were asked whether or not we had enjoyed our meal. I responded by saying that the service was far too slow and the response was.........we are very busy!! Unfortunately I won't be returning to this restaurant.

Keith can........have mixed dining experiences........in Kalkan

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #182 on: September 07, 2019, 08:19:18 AM »
Sorry about the mixed experience Keith. We are there on Tuesday and everything including the service was good. Had a pizza at the villa on Wednesday from foto’s very good and inexpensive. Took a schar gluten free base for the wife and they put the topping on. He remembered doing this last year and said he would look to stock some as they have a massive shelf life. I will email him next time to see if he has done so as he said the same thing last year. Hope he does because he said he’s tried to make his own unsuccessfully. Went visit letoon for a quick look at the ruins. Ok but not a patch on patara. Our days go by just relaxing in and out of the pool and reading. This is our relaxing holiday so it suits us. Went to mussakka for evening meal which was very nice and on Friday back to Baharat. It was my birthday but we had a quiet one instead of the cake and fireworks. We did that last year for our friend which ended up with the whole restaurant and staff dancing. Hasan said he remembered it well. Going for a ride up the Kalamar end in a bit as I believe the area is really being developed. Lots of new villas. Might book in at the brothers which is just a few minutes walk away as lots of people saying it very good. Not been to Adams yet so may end up there. Thinks it’s going to be very hot again today so I think I’ll have a cool dip and finish my book about Romans’ before I start a new one about...Romans’. Enjoy your holiday everyone.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #183 on: September 07, 2019, 01:41:23 PM »
They probably just had an off night.......this can happen in the best of restaurants. We are thinking that we might venture to Adam's tomorrow evening. We haven't yet managed to go there in our 8 visits to Kalkan. It would be good to tick off another 'first' from our list. It sounds as though you are enjoying a relaxing holiday....just like us.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #184 on: September 07, 2019, 01:56:53 PM »
Keith, please make the effort to go to Adam’s, you won’t regret it, not like in town restaurants more village style with personal service. If you go over beforehand and book Adam with come and get you from your villa and take you back again so no designated driver needed. The lamb shank is the best I’ve ever had, comes to the table on fire, oh yeah the view is great.
Thanks for the posts, they are making me wish the next 7 weeks away.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #185 on: September 10, 2019, 03:56:46 PM »
As you are probably aware the forum has been undergoing maintenance and improvement over the past 3 days and, as a result, I have been unable to post my daily blog. I'll try to catch up over the next day or two.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #186 on: September 10, 2019, 04:26:26 PM »
Sorry everybody that was my fault.. a few people said the theme was weird so I tried to fix it and wiped out the whole site but it’s all back from a backup now.

The accommodation section will also be back very soon.

Thank you for supporting EK, an independent site that’s not Facebook, it really means a lot.

Jon

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2019, 05:50:46 PM »
"They probably just had an off night.......this can happen in the best of restaurants. "

They must have lots of off nights then. This happened too when we were there a couple of years ago, a large party, about a dozen people, walked out because they'd waited for about 90 mins and still hadn't got their starter. It seems they can't cope with a near full restaurant.
Apartment owner nr. Kalamar.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #188 on: September 11, 2019, 08:51:05 AM »
Now.......where did I get to? Oh yes we are on Saturday. We were up at the crack of dawn and after coffee on the balcony I take the short walk to the bakers. They have a good selection of breads and the most succulent  baklava. I always get a cheery welcome from the ladies who are beavering away, kneading the dough and preparing the other pastries. Goods purchased and I head back down to the villa. I don't know why but flies seem to have taken a liking to my feet and ankles on this visit. I have had quite a few bites and, although they are nowhere near as bad as mozzies bites, they can still itch. Tracey has probably suffered worse than me as she has bites on her arms and legs. We spend yet another relaxing day by the pool and I manage to finish my first book. It is only since coming to Kalkan that I have been in the right mindset to enjoy reading. The day passes all too quickly and we are soon getting ready to head off into town. Bezirgans is a lot busier this year but we are able to secure a table with a good vantage point to watch the flow of people .going down into town. We have a couple of thirst quenching drinks before joining the flow. We will be eating at Kosk tonight. The friendly welcome, attentive service and great food make this our favourite restaurant so far. It is a very warm night and having eaten a large meal, it more of an effort walking back up to the villa. By the time that we arrive we are both looking like we have just stepped out of the shower. We freshen up before heading to the roof terrace for a well earned G&T. For the first time we notice that Chocolate appears to closed down. Whilst you can still hear music coming from the town it is a lot less invasive.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #189 on: September 11, 2019, 09:58:54 AM »
I accidentally hit 'post' before finishing my blog.......silly me!! Sunday was yet another chilled out day. The weather is really hot and humid and the day is spent lying in the shade. Every now and then there is a tantalising breeze but, all too soon it disappears and the warm heavy air returns. Every now and then a jogger passes by and I wonder what motivates them to exercise in this oppressive heat. It must take a great deal of dedication to their fitness regime.I'm struggling to motivate myself to go to the fridge to get a cold Efes. In what seems like a blink of the eye yet another day has gone and we are rapidly approaching the mid point of our holiday. We adopt our usual routine of pre-dinner drinks at Bezirgans before setting of to Saki for dinner. Another enjoyable evening. We had been planning to go to Adam's restaurant this evening but agreed that we would visit there later in the week.
Monday is soon upon us and we enjoy the morning around the pool before walking into town for a late lunch. We enjoy a couple of drinks at Bezirgans before heating down to meet our Turkish friends at Authentic and Kaptan opticians. They all seem genuinely pleased to see us and we enjoy a chat before our planned lunch at Akins. This is one of our must go to restaurants and, as always, it didn't disappoint. It has a great view overlooking the harbour, some welcome shade and offers great value for money. We shared a hot mixed meze followed by mains. The meze on it's own would probably have been enough but we just about managed to eat our main courses. Feeling rather bloated we popped into the gallery opposite the restaurant and had a good browse round. They have some excellent pieces in here and I normally end up buying. Not on this occasion though as the things that I particularly liked would be far too big and fragile to pack in our suitcases. We take a slow walk up the main street stopping off at the watch shop (our son is interesting in getting another U-boat watch) then onto the ceramics shop to purchase some new dishes. Shopping completed we stop off at Bezirgans for a couple of drinks before heading home.for a romantic night in. We prepare a few snacks (open a packet of crisps and nuts), pour our G&Ts, put on some music and head for the roof terrace. This couldn't be more perfect..............
Tuesday arrives and It's my birthday today. We will be eating at Authentic tonight.........we normally have one meal here during a visit. Another day spent around th pool before getting ready to go out. We only have one drink at Bezirgans as we plan to have drinks at Authentic before dinner. The team here are so welcoming and, whilst the restaurant doesn't provide the best of views, the food was excellent. The peppered steak melted in the mouth and is the best one that I have had so far. We were offered a complimentary amaretto before returning downstairs. Mustaffa offered us a cocktail 'on the house's and Tracey had a really nice pina colada  whilst a surprise gin cocktail was prepared for me. I had let slip that it was my birthday and I was then faced with the embarrassment  of the full fireworks treatment and a rendition of 'Happy Birthday'. I have to admit that I rather enjoyed my 20 seconds of being in the limelight. The England game is on the TV and, whilst I would normally want to watch it, we never watch TV when on holiday. We prefer our own company and quality time together. Back to the villa for a G&T before bed.

Keith can........celebrate his birthday......,......in Kalkan

Offline Kevin Norwich

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #190 on: September 11, 2019, 05:18:23 PM »
Happy Belated birthday Keith, good to have your holiday reports back!

Offline Geordie duo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 28
    • Share Post
« Reply #191 on: September 11, 2019, 09:59:21 PM »
Happy Birthday Keith

Loving your blogs.  We are heading out to Kalkan tomorrow can't wait. Hopefully see you and Tracy for a drink.

Sounds like your having another amazing holiday.

Tracy

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #192 on: September 12, 2019, 06:33:22 AM »
Have a safe journey Tracy. Hopefully see you at some stage.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #193 on: September 12, 2019, 09:24:30 AM »
Wednesday was another very hot and humid day. The air is heavy and any form of exertion quickly turns on the  waterfall of perspiration. The cool air of the early morning is a blessing and we take the time to soak up the views and enjoy our coffee. Once the sun comes up we retreat to a shaded area near the pool and start reading yet another book. I will have read 3 on this trip which is another first for me. I enjoy the fact that we are in our own bubble and not thinking about the wider world and the daily grind of everyday life. The only contact that we have is a regular Skype call to our son to check on him and our boxer dog. The day passes in a flash and we soon find ourselves getting showered and changed for our night out. We haven't decided on where we would be eating but head down to Bezirgans for our normal pre-dinner drinks. The two young boys from the off licence are very chatty this evening and tell us all about their time at school. The 13 year old tells us that he attends school 7 days of the week from 8 in the morning until 6 at night. He enjoys maths (although the syllabus is quite hard this year) and he has aspirations to become an engineer. He is now out selling fans. With drinks consumed we have taken the decision to eat at Ali Baba tonight. We have walked past this restaurant hundreds of times over the years but have never eaten there. The greeter explains that they have a buffet style menu as well as Al la carte. We opt for the buffet and head to the counter to select our dishes from the options available. We choose a couple of mezes along with five other hot dishes. The food was delicious but the restaurant lacks the intimacy and atmosphere of the normal restaurants that we would frequent. It's yet another first for us but it is unlikely that we will return. We stop off at Bezirgans before heading home for our obligatory G&T on the roof terrace. There is a lovely cool breeze this evening and we are soon having a second glass before bed.

Keith can.........enjoy new experiences.........in Kalkan

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #194 on: September 14, 2019, 08:05:05 AM »
We awake to another gloriously sunny morning on Thursday. As the sun rises above the mountains the temperature soon soars. Like a synchronised ballet the gulets leave the harbour, line astern, and fan out across the bay. You can almost set your watch by this daily ritual......the armada heads out to sea carrying their excited passengers to the various bays. As they disappear around the headland we settle in for yet another relaxing day by the pool. All too soon we find ourselves getting ready for an evening in town. We dispense with our usual routine and head up the hill to the Lime bar for our pre-dinner drinks. This is slightly more expensive than Bezirgans but they do provide Schweppes tonic water in a bottle. Still only 120tl for two large beers and two G&Ts. Whilst we sit enjoying our drinks we agree that we will eat at Corianders this evening. The last time that we ate there was in 2014. I know this for a fact as Tracey keeps a record of everywhere that we eat, what we had and total cost. She has been doing this since our first visit to Kalkan and so we are able to compare costs year on year; taking account of the exchange rates.  Meals consumed we had back down to Bezirgans for another drink before popping into the off licence to replenish our stock of wine, beer and tonic water. Back to the villa for a night cap before retiring to bed.
Yesterday we awoke even earlier than normal and, pulling back the curtains, we were greeted with a sky heavy with dark threatening clouds. The weather forecast had said that there was a risk of a thunderstorm today. After drinking our coffee we had a shower and decided that we would walk into town for some lunch and take the opportunity to finish off shopping for family gifts. We took a leisurely stroll down zig zagging through the side streets. We ended up at Salt and Pepper for lunch and thoroughly enjoyed the food. It was noticeable that the wind was really picking up to such an extent that the waiting staff took the decision to close the awnings. As we walked back up the main street the road was littered with debris; with bark stripped from some of the trees. We stop off at Bezirgans and I decide to get a haircut at Trend barbers. I always enjoy a haircut when in Kalkan. I am soon sat in the chair and agree that I would have a trim and tidy up. The barber sets about his work. As you will know a trip to the barbers in Kalkan is a completely different experience to at home. Hair cut, I am now treated to a face mask. The barber says that it needs to be on for a couple of minutes and asks whether I would like some water. I reply that I would prefer to finish my beer and, before I say another word, he rushes next door to pick up my large Efes. Drink consumed he proceeded to wash my hair and face. Eyebrows trimmed, nose hair removed and ear hair burnt off he then goes to work on a very invigorating massage. All this for a very cheap 50tl. Suitably refreshed and looking a lot smarter we head back to the villa where we will be spending the evening.

Keith can.........get a great haircut............in Kalkan

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #195 on: September 15, 2019, 08:33:24 AM »
We are up early again on Saturday. It is our penultimate day and we want to ensure that we savour every last minute of our holiday. As we pull back the curtains and walk onto the balcony we are greeted by grey skies and a noticeable drop in temperature. This is not what we had hoped for!! We still enjoy our coffee and the panoramic view across the bay. After a shower I take a slow walk up to the bakers to purchase some of their succulent baklava. This is the best that we have tasted and we always take some home for our two sons. To my utter disappointment the baker informs me that they do not have any and he didn't know if another batch would be baked that day. Empty handed I traip back to the villa to break the news to Tracey. She shares my disappointment  and we agree that I will try again tomorrow (not sure whether they will be open on Sunday). We spend the rest of the morning around the pool catching the sporadic rays of sunshine. The sky over the mountains becomes increasingly dark and menacing and at 1.00 pm  we feel the first few raindrops.Ten minutes later and the rain starts pouring down. This is the first time in 10 years that we have witnessed any rain in Kalkan. There are plenty of sheltered spots around the villa and so we are still able to be outdoors and listen/watch the thunder and lighting that has enveloped the bay. Every now and then the rain subsides and we are hopeful that the storm will soon pass. This was wishful thinking on our part as the rain persisted until just before we set of for Bezirgans. The bar is busy again tonight as people are sat watching football. Adam sets up a table for us and we order our drinks. Just as they arrive we feel the first spots of rain and retreat inside the bar.Within minutes the heavens open and the rain cascades down. Everyone rushes to find sanctuary under the shelter of the grapevines. Unfortunately these do not provide any real cover and the rain is soon pouring through. We all retreat to the back bar with the exception of a few hardy souls who continue to prop up the bar. The rain continues for just over an hour and we agree that we will not go too far for our evening meal. We opt for Alternatif  and, after a short wait for a table, we are soon tucking into our food. The meal was of the normal high standard although the service was lacking. We were not asked if we wanted water with our meal and had to remind them that we had ordered a bottle of wine. We enjoyed a complimentary amaretto before heading back to Bezirgans for another drink. The storm has cleared the air and provides a more comfortable environment for the walk back to the villa. We are unable to use our normal vantage point for our G&Ts as the seat cushions are too wet and I don't feel like shifting furniture around. We settle by the pool as this still provides a good view across the bay.

Keith can........witness torrential rain..............in Kalkan

Offline Geordie duo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #196 on: September 15, 2019, 02:14:00 PM »
Hi Keith

We looked for you at bezigarns last night. We got there just after 9.

Hopefully see you there tonight for a pre drink before our meal.

Tracy and Bill

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #197 on: September 17, 2019, 10:00:39 AM »
We awoke on our last day in Kalkan to find that the rain and thunderstorms had abated and we were now bathed in wall to wall sunshine. There is a refreshing breeze and ideal conditions for sun bathing. Before I can concentrate on my tan I have the important task of seeking out the elusive baklava. I set off up the hill to the bakers and disappointingly they do not have any. Not to be outdone I head to Ada pattiserrie and, thankfully, they had just baked a fresh batch.......success!! I have a spring in my step as I stroll back to the villa for another day by the pool. Late afternoon we start the horrible job of packing the suitcases and are conscious that this marks the end of our holiday. We ready ourselves for pre-dinner drinks at Bezirgans. We were really pleased to be joined by Tracy and Bill aka The Geordie Duo (don't forget to follow their blog). We enjoyed a good chat and talked about the bad dining experience that they had endured on their first night. We were genuinely shocked as they described what had happened and it prompted us not to go to that restaurant for our final meal (we had planned to). I explained that, in my opinion, there appears to have been a general decline in the levels of service this year and  some of the food has been a bit hit and miss. I know that they have had a particularly busy season but I sincerely hope that they do not become too blase. Drinks consumed we now agree that we will head back to Mussakka for our final meal. As if confirming my thoughts the service is much more attentive this evening and the food was of a high standard. We say our goodbyes to the young lads at Bezirgans  and the off licence before a slow walk back to the villa and our final G&Ts on the roof terrace. Our transport is arranged for 09.30 in the morning and so off to bed we go.
We are up bright and early on Monday morning, finish the last bit of packing and have a final tidy of the villa. We always like to leave it as we found it. Our transport arrives on time (arranged via Evi Estates), we load our bags and say our goodbyes to Ali and our cleaner. We enjoy the drive to Dalaman........our driver is not an aspiring Formula 1 racer and 1 hour and 40 minutes later he delivers us safely to the airport. We are quickly through the first security check but the queue to book in and drop off our cases moves at a snail's pace. Bags deposited we head through the second security check and into the departure lounge. My only real observation here is that there is insufficient toilets for the number of passengers. There is a long queue for the ladies and a much smaller queue for the gents. The last security check is extremely thorough as they search through everyone's hand luggage. This is made worse by the fact that some passengers appear to have everything but the kitchen sink in their large bags and rucksacks. This has the effect of slowing the process down and you can hear the grumbles of discontent from other people in the queue. Our flight departs 20 minutes behind schedule and after a very smooth flight touches down at Stansted a little before 5.00 pm. The airport is very busy but we have soon collected our bags and are outside picking up our car from the valet service. It is so nice having the car waiting just outside the terminal.

Well.......that is the end of my blog for another year. I hope that you have enjoyed reading it and I thank those of you that have taken the time to add your comments.

Keith can.........reminisce about another terrific holiday........in Kalkan

Offline Geordie duo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #198 on: September 17, 2019, 04:25:57 PM »
Hi Keith

I have really enjoyed you blogs  we both read them daily.

Glad your both back safe and sound.

So glad we managed to have a drink with you both

Till next time Geordie duo

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #199 on: September 18, 2019, 01:21:28 PM »
Glad you had a lovely holiday Keith. I've very much enjoyed reading about it too.

This time tomorrow...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal