Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: KALKAN REVISITED MANY TIMES BUT WHAT THE HECK!  (Read 14273 times)

Offline moorsalex

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
KALKAN REVISITED MANY TIMES BUT WHAT THE HECK!
« on: September 25, 2016, 08:45:35 PM »
No I haven't posted before but I felt there was a bit of a vacuum here after Jocie and Chris and also I am faced with x factor in other room… yes UK TV is in KALKAN -no escape..

We are regular Kalkanites having our own place for 3 years and being regular visitors for 7 years before. Now doing our usual 3 week stint before the end of the season.

Came out on BA on the same flight that Chris-S got back - was not our fault really that it was late - BA said a bird was at fault…also met someone else in Kalkan who said they got the same excuse so just regard that as the standard BA excuse for late..

So we got in very late Wed  we also got stopped by road side check just outside Fethiye but we also stopped off at Yali for some provisions - seemed a a bit run down on stock but could have been the time of night..

Thursday  - didn't get up too early but went into town to get groceries from greengrocers and got lured into Kaya - this happens all the time to us - we had shopping and need of a bit of hydration - so shopping went into the fridge at Kaya - and we left after several beers and wines and food of course and felt the effects on Friday - so Friday was a DAY OFF and we took it a bit easy -

Saturday - we were still pretty lazy but we took a road trip over on the track that goes up on the headland before Patara where we found:

A major villa with security
A ghost villa development
A cafe on the shores -the owner gave us grapes and we will probably come back for a fish lunch - you have to call him the day before to arrange.
The most hungry insects in the history of bugs - safe to say about 20 bites.

Sunday i.e today:  Went to visit Adams - he was a bit tired as it was his daughter's engagement party the night before but he was great as usual.  He always says we bring him luck as he was really busy - apparently the schools go back Monday and Mrs Adam was stressing..

Anyway we are back to Kisla now - Xfactor and all..

Will try to post again assuming I did this OK??

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13503.0

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: KALKAN REVISITED MANY TIMES BUT WHAT THE HECK!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 09:14:14 PM »
Loved reading your post and we don't leave till tomorrow. Adem is so lovely. Have a great stay don't worry about us did I say we were going home tomorrow?

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 06:08:51 AM »
Yay, the baton has been passed on! Fab report..keep them coming !

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 07:49:00 AM »
A new poster.......excellent, with any luck we can keep this going year round? Welcome to the dark side moorsalex!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 11:23:24 AM »
Oh goody. What a fantastic start to a dull Monday morning.

Thanks moorsalex  :)

Offline Trotter

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 01:35:05 PM »
Much better thanI could do. Never mind we are about to return to the real thing. Sitting waiting to board at Manchester. TC say.30 min delay, do I believe them?

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 02:55:35 PM »
Baton duly passed over…

It is interesting to note that:

referring to "The Aviation Herald" (http://bit.ly/2dm1QXY), there's no mention of any bird strikes at Gatwick on, or around, that day.

Considering that BA2562/3 is invariably late, there must be a lot of bird strikes, or the 'BA Book of excuses' is getting to the more desperate ones.

Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 04:08:16 PM »
Just having my Monday afternoon fix on EK, and thank you so much moorsalex, what a lovely first post, and yes please keep them coming! Brilliant  :D

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 07:53:50 PM »
Thanks for sharing your Kalkan experience moorsalex. Looking forward to reading your posts.

Offline moorsalex

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 06:51:56 AM »
MONDAY

A day by the pool it was for us yesterday.  This means:

1.   Cup of tea by the pool
2.   Breakfast by the pool
3.   Read paper/book by the pool
4.   Eat sandwich by the pool
5.   Play music by the pool (Bluetooth speaker required)
6.   Drinks by the pool after suitable wait from item 2

It does not mean GET IN THE POOL!  This is something my husband doesn’t understand.  Born and raised in Scotland, I have aversion to cold having had enough of it in my informative years.  And 22c water temperature in the pool does not cut it even if it is 28c outside.  So the usual discussion of what’s the point of buying a villa with a pool if you don’t use it ensues… water temperature has to be in the high 20’s before I’ll go in.  The downside of this strategy is too long is spent under the sun’s rays and I now have a sunburnt face and comedy tan lines.

Off into town in the evening – first stop Botanik to take Nam a bottle of rum he asked for from the duty free and sample a cocktail. I had one with strawberry and basil in – it was really good and OH had  3 Margheritas.  We were the only people there – a group of 4 came in when were there but just stopped for 1 drink – it’s hard to see how he can survive another season like this one.  Then we went on to Pera restaurant.  We haven’t been here before as it’s newly opened.  I had liver and a steak and OH had octopus and lamb chops.  He thought his meal was great but I had to send the steak back as it was overcooked and dried out.  The replacement was even worse, half the size and to be honest I’m not so sure it wasn’t the same steak cut in half and served up again after more cooking…At this point OH had long finished his meal so I gave up on mine. 

We then went for a walk through town, looked at some carpets – OH suitably emboldened by 3 cocktails and red wine was all for buying half the shop but I managed to reign him in and make our escape and stopped at Black and Gold for ANOTHER cocktail.  OH had one with absenth in.. This was not a good idea.  We then wandered down to the harbour and had ANOTHER cocktail at Trio at which point we realised a taxi home was the best thing.

So here I am, writing this and catching up on email, and about to walk into town to retrieve the car.  OH is not up yet– he has hangover from hell (Absenth induced I think) and has had the AC off and on all night – source of many arguments – see earlier point about hating being cold.  Hopefully he will be sufficiently recovered by the time I get back to go out perhaps to Islamar but I’m not counting on it.  And I still have very sunburnt face so another day by the pool is not really advised!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 07:44:05 AM »
Admirable research of cocktails there moorsalex, well OH really! Hope you have a chilled day, in more ways than one, be careful of that sun and please don't soak it all up as we'd like plenty of rays left for when we are there in two weeks time!  :laugh:

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 08:09:43 AM »
 Oh how I wish we were still there. Did think about squatting but didn't think Sue and Shaun would be best pleased on Saturday.
I agree about Botanik went in a couple of times and there was only us in there. Glad you've taken on the baton look forward to your lovely reports.

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 08:48:17 AM »
You could have stayed and had the spare room Joy! But Bri would have had to make us those full English breakfasts every day!! Sue xx

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 12:02:49 PM »
Oh Sue you could have had your own naked chef. Fabulous holiday hope you enjoy yours Thankyou.

Offline moorsalex

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 07:40:13 PM »
TUESDAY

Well after hiking up the hill in Kisla and then gently downhill to retrieve the car from outside Carrefour, I drove back to find husband is still in bed nursing HO.

So looked like another day by the pool but no! Help was at hand as the cleaners arrived unexpectedly and so husband got turfed out so they can change the bed etc – ha ha!

We therefore set off late morning to Islamar with the plan being to have a bit of a drive beyond as it is really beautiful up there, then stopping off for lunch on the way back down.  Everywhere there are grape vines laden with fruit, and pomegranites, peaches, courgettes and nuts on trees too.  We pass the catacombs in the rock face about 1km past Islamar then reach the top, stop to take photos and have a meander around then make our way back to Islamar and Koy restaurant for lunch.  It was quiet and there was just one other couple eating.  Anyway OH decided to have manti to soak up the alcohol of the previous evening, followed by meatballs whilst I opted for fried cheese, and grilled trout.  All delicious but the manti could have been a main course – the portion was huge.  When we came to leave, the owner gave me a bunch of grapes – now this is the second time this has happened this week to me so I wonder if this is a Turkish custom or I look like someone who needs grapes?  (Usually I settle for the fermented variety).

In view of Monday nights’ excesses, we decided to eat in and get a chicken from the deli place near the greengrocer.  Very nice and I made stuffed peppers with rice, mushroom, onion and some of the seasoning that came with the chicken and glass of wine. 

OH says he is now not drinking again this holiday so he stuck with diet coke and can be designated driver for the future days  – frankly I don’t think this will last as we have friends arriving in Kalkan on Saturday and he has form when they all get together…but a few days respite anyway probably best for him.

Thinking of going to Meis this week – we’ve never done it so any ideas? Assume book a ticket on line in advance and show up at ticket office in Kas?  Or can you just show up and go?  Does the ferry run every day at this time of year?  I don’t even know where in the harbour it leaves from but I know where the ticket office is.

Anyway early night shortly reasonably sober (me) – totally sober Terry! Just watching the news after Labour conference and Trump/Clinton thing.

Alex

Offline moorsalex

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 08:01:56 PM »
WEDNESDAY

Got up nice and early – what a beautiful morning – the sea was so still and the sun shining on it.  This is why we come back again and again for this view – Kalkan Beach Park was just waking up and over tea and coffee we watched the first boat arrive.

We decided to go to Kas today to find out about going to Meis and because I’ve bought some bedspreads/cushion covers there in a little shop just off the front and wanted to get some more.  Also a friend recommended a bag shop near by.  So we drove the coast road – I can honestly say it has never looked so beautiful.

We contemplated going into the marina – we’ve never bothered before and always have been put off by the barriers but I’m sure you can go in as there are restaurants and a Migros there.  Anyway we didn’t, and parked up on the harbour, bought Ferry tickets for Friday and did my shopping then stopped off for a snack at Palmiye café on the front.

Then a leisurely drive back for the last couple of hours sunshine at the villa.

We decided to go to Cosmopolitan this evening as we hadn’t been here before. (on the Kalamar Road).  What a little gem.  We went for their special offer for £13.00 each for a starter and main.  I had Mujver and Terry had Sausage Sandwich (I know – bit weird but basically burger meat with cheese), and we both had Spinach Chicken for Main.  Again huge portions and very tasty – couldn’t eat it all.  We had a bottle of wine, 1 beer, house made lemonade and water – all for £45.  Interestingly they price everything in GBP so I paid in GBP too.  Note the wine and beer – OH has already given up pledge to stay totally tee-total.  However no cocktail madness tonight and back home by 10ish.  Alex

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 10:29:04 PM »
Absolutely love Cosmopolitan,  food and cocktails to die for ☺️

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 10:46:34 PM »
Sounds like a good couple of days to me. We watched cosmopolitan evolving in April and were determined to try it in August but never quite made it which was a shame.

I resolved to also have manti as I saw it on the menu at the brothers and I've always wanted to try it but again, not quite made it. Hopefully hext year.  :)

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 06:42:14 PM »
Another great read moorsalex......the thing that I really like about Kalkan is that it is continually evolving and every visit brings new surprises. Restaurants change hands but the culinary experience is nearly always exemplary.

Offline moorsalex

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 08:55:11 PM »
THURSDAY

The weather today was wonderful – it is really hard to believe it is nearly end of September and temperature at around 30c.

Didn’t do too much today though still have not gone in the pool!  I had to sort out the Smart TV box that had been messed up – happens all the time and unfortunately our maintenance company did their best but made it worse – a complete reboot and re-install needed – anyway sorted now except for sports – have to call my son in law in Cyprus for assistance  – only full on ex-pats know the ins and outs I think of getting all these channels working abroad or alternatively bar owners in Kalkan (re the sports).  So probably Terry will be watching Liverpool on Saturday in a bar (what a hardship and more sociable too..).  I shall be hanging out with our friends who are due to arrive in the afternoon.

Tonight we went to Mariners to catch up with George and Co.  Great meal – they had chicken pate with the cheese and butter with the puffy bread – really good – George gave us an extra portion – to be honest we shouldn’t have ordered starters if we had known as it was really lovely and filling.  We had calamari to start and Terry had seafood crepe that was wonderful and I had steak porcini which was perfectly cooked.

Anyway, we made tracks back quite early as we are off to Meis tomorrow.

Have only got 50 euros cash so hopefully they’ll take lira there or there will be an ATM, or they’ll take plastic in the restaurants….

A.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

cheesy
I Remember Kalkan - Revisited

Started by Chucky on General Discussion

17 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 08:03:02 PM
by Chucky
xx
How many times to Kalkan, 1st and most recent

Started by Potter on The Everything Else Area!

17 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 03:21:02 PM
by tortoise lady
xx
Kalkan Gym Opening Times

Started by MATT J on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 01:35:27 PM
by MATT J
xx
Four times Kalkan, first Kisla

Started by sidari on Flights and Travel

1 Replies
Last post July 08, 2018, 08:30:07 AM
by DRBD

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal