Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kalkan: nice but pricey  (Read 28748 times)

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Kalkan: nice but pricey
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2008, 07:15:01 PM »
Those people who can eat in London cheaper than Kalkan and giving better value can do this because they know which restaurants offer good value. When we go to London we don''t have the benefit of this knowledge and consequently spend lots on meals that don''t seem worth it.

If you go to Kalkan and know where to eat you can eat well and reasonably, as in London. Personally I wouldn''t swap Kalkan for London, even for a good value meal.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2008, 09:55:26 PM »
Agreed Kalkanregular - I have never found where you can eat in London better and more cheaply with a bottle of wine...so I am obviously not in the know...

I still would rather spend my hard earned money on the amazing food AND FANTASTIC quality of service you get in Kalkan - I have found NOWHERE in the UK that can match that...!!  :)
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline yarmites

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 10:14:57 PM »
We''ve just returned from a week in Ovacik and 2 weeks in Kalkan.  Ovacik and Fethiye were certainly cheaper for food and we have favourite restaurants in both these places.  However, Kalkan is cheaper for an equivalent meal in our local town, Yarm, in the north east.  In Kalkan we ate at some of the more expensive restaurants, which we enjoyed, but had great value and great food in some of the cheaper ones - the Moonlight Restaurant at the start of the Kalamar Road (not the Moonlight in the town) deserves a mention.  There''s a fabulous view from the roof terrace and a set meal is 20 TL for 2 courses.  You can also order casseroles the day before, which are very reasonably priced.  On our last visit there was a long power cut so a waiter (possibly the owner, not sure) played a Turkish instrument, a clarinet, and sang some relaxing Turkish songs.  We couldn''t have asked for more.

We also had fun and good food downstairs in the Oz Adana and had 2 great meals in the Kebab House at the harbour.   Also the food is very good and very reasonably priced at the Kelebek Hotel, where we were staying.

We have never come across a sullen waiter in Kalkan - or any other place in Turkey.  In fact, we think the service is excellent and the waiters friendly.

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 12:03:43 AM »
I think that just the fact that people are comparing Kalkan prices with London (one of the richest and most expensive cities in the world) indicates that many holiday makers will find it more than a bit pricey. This is bourne out by the follow up we do to all of our villa guests asking if they enjoyed their holiday, this year even more than last every one has said, yes but restaurants and taxis are too expensive. 

As to the quality of the food, over the last few years, we have found more than enough very good restaurants to keep us happy, but we had so many mediocre overpriced meals along the way that we now usally only try a new restaurant if it has been recommended to us (we do the same in the UK).                   

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 06:40:28 AM »
Its not just London that Kalkan was compared with - in fact somebody said you can eater cheaper and better in London - well I can''t...!!

Up North has been mentioned and our local Indian down here in the Reading Bracknell area have also been mentioned as on a par with prices in Kalkan and without the fantastic service and food...!!!  :)

Offline kalcamp

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 09:14:48 AM »
Hi Felicity, You being so close to London I''m surprised you haven''t found any good cheap places to eat.
This is fairly simple just     
                                   google in:

''Cheap places to eat in London''

and you will see that the list is enormous and varied with choices from all over the world
London has enormous choice
 Unfortunately for kalkan, once you''ve extensively trawled the 5 or so cheap places to eat it all gets a bit boring, even most of the more expensive places are mediocre and everywhere has the same limited menu.

next someone will be on here telling me you can get better food in kalkan than Paris or Rome

Offline foreverkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 10:17:31 AM »
YES ME, but not just Kalkan all over Turkey, it is know to be one of the best cuisines in the world and I love it

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 10:28:15 AM »
Agree with you foreverkalkan, French food is yuk, frogs legs & snails, errrrr!!!!

Offline Hoca

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 11:45:40 AM »
As a peasant who can''t afford to eat out i don''t really know much about the restaurant''s but the one thing that seems pricey to me as i look longingly at the menu boards is breakfast, be it Turkish or English the going rate is 8-12 lira not sure what you get but i can guess.

Offline lilly

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2008, 11:57:31 AM »
Kalkan is still cheaper to eat out in than Belfast. Belfast does not have roof terraces under the twinkling stars,the boats bobbing in the harbour in the moonlight or the magical atmosphere. Your on Holiday, In a fabulous place,relax, open another bottle of Angora and enjoy yourselves ;D

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2008, 12:52:53 PM »
Hit the nail on the head there lilly!

Offline johnl

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2008, 10:54:36 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their recommendations,we will certainly try them,We had looked at hiring an apartment and booking flights and transfer and looking after ourselves but could not do it for what we are paying jewel in the crown.No matter how i tried i could not get the total less than around £1000 for two weeks.With the tour company, staying at a good hotel,the lizo, it is around £300 less. John

Offline Layla

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2008, 09:01:08 PM »
Hello again  :) and it was great to see everyone''s views about the price of a meal in Kalkan.  To anyone visiting London and wanting to get a good meal at a very decent price - do google ''toptable'' for great ideas and value.  You really don''t ever have to have a medicore eating experience in London ever again - trust me those days, with a bit of planning are GONE!

I completely take on board the joy of eating under the stars on a warm summer evening.  You totally can''t beat it . . . BUT my point is this . .  there are lots of sunny climes out there and in my view, Kalkan is in danger of pricing itself out of the holiday market.  Nothwithstanding that you can buy fantastic (and fantastically inexpensive) fresh food in Kalkan and cook it yourself, only serves to emphasise my point which is that the high restaurant prices being commonly charged are not entirely . . erm . . necessary.

I don''t want to see Kalkan''s charm being replaced by cynicism - it not good for anybody, but what I''m afraid that will mean is that the average Kalkan punter needs to be reflecting on their holiday, feeling they got value for money, irrespective of whether they ate in a soup kitchen or paid top dollar.  The fact that tangible numbers don''t, speaks, I believe for itself.

The annual 10% hike by restauranteurs + doubtful exchange rates + a serious lack of financial confidence will see Kalkan''s largely UK based going - elsewhere (that is if they go anywhere at all).

Layla x

Offline hel66

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2008, 03:00:03 AM »
Hit the nail on the head there Layla!!
Save Kisiltas- ban the D400

Offline kalkan wife

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2008, 11:18:37 AM »
Layla,
Whilst I agree with some of your points may I add that inflation is running at around the CPI (consumer prices) 10% per annum in Turkey (see http://turkey-news.newslib.com/story/5102-3277941/), the relatively high value of the New Turkish Lira and low ''financial confidence'' in the UK are completely outside the control of Kalkan restaurateurs. They may be charging 10% more than last year because their costs have increased that much with inflation.
I also challenge that general basic foodstuffs are cheap in the local shops, I find then expensive, particularly meat. My weekly food/household goods bill for 2 is approx 200 lira, not exactly cheap when wages are so low (and we don''t live like kings).

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2008, 01:13:11 PM »
there are two sides to this coin...whilst things are generally more expensive just as they are at home...an element of greed has landed in one or two of kalkans restaurants...the outrageous prices of wine talked about in another thread just an instance...the answer is don''t buy it...whilst i was there in end of june /july a popular restaurant (no i won''t name it ) recieved a large booking for 25 people the following night..they spent time during the day raising the prices on the menus and wine lists..quite a hike i may add!! (i was sat drinking with the mrs) the following day the prices were put back to what they were....not a very good advert for restaurants...we don''t go to this one anymore :(
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2008, 03:27:19 PM »
Blue Lizard,

You cannot stop there, surely you must name the villains , if only to stop the rumour mill. I have already heard whispers that it was Ali Baba''s on the night that Boris Johnson visited with asorted Earls, Countesses and dowagers in tow.       

Offline Hoca

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2008, 03:34:42 PM »
Personally i would have doubled the prices and halved the portions for them,

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2008, 03:41:38 PM »
...and then leave them at the mercy of the "wild dogs" of Kalkan for some after dinner entertainment..??  >:D
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2008, 04:41:18 PM »
When you say "them", k4e, I''m guessing/hoping that you mean the restaurant owners?  Amazed, if the story is true, that this did not appear in whichever of the daily scandalsheets that featured Cameron''s visit earlier in the summer, but perhaps it does not fit their agenda.  Remember, Boris is a small fraction Turkish - his great grandfather, I believe, made the mistake of (and paid the price for) pointing out Ataturk''s alleged shortcomings.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 04:44:23 PM by EniÅŸte »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Wow - nice to see billionaires in Kalkan!

Started by maryjane on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post September 16, 2009, 05:52:41 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Nice new Spa !!!

Started by Kalkandream on Accommodation and Hotels

7 Replies
Last post February 24, 2014, 09:04:55 AM
by Kalkandream
xx
Nice Photographs

Started by pasha on General Discussion

20 Replies
Last post March 06, 2008, 08:54:28 AM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Have I got this right??? Be nice to the nasties?

Started by Wendy on The Everything Else Area!

3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 09:59:45 PM
by Wendy

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Jane and Pete

Views: 888
By: janeywhit
Kalkan Map