Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kalkan: I don't like it - no, I love it!  (Read 66073 times)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Kalkan: I don't like it - no, I love it!
« on: June 19, 2015, 05:42:04 AM »
So, there we have it. The time has come. No more waiting. No more dreaming. Just bring it on!

Picking up where we left off in 2013, when we ended our stay in Villa Kismet in the Old Town, singing ourselves out to Robin Thicke’s Blurred Lines…(You Know You Want It – you’re gonna get it)…..8 Antlers on another jaunt.
Ahead: 18 days, 17 nights in Kalkan; now, life can’t get any better than that. Can it?

A winter dreaming of a stiff Woo Woo on the roof terrace of Yellow Villa, unshaven  in shorts and a tee, looking out over the villa tops to Mouse and Snake and smelling the sea, can all be realised - from tonight. We are on our way.

All I want to do now, is to hear the “thud” of Jet2’s door closing on Leeds Bradford apron and the “ping” of the Fasten Seat Belt sign. And then, as Rachey says “…and Relax.”

Then, I will know, there is nothing I can do but to sit back and soak it all up - and hopefully, watch 7 other close family and friends have a really great holiday.

Keane will be on the iPhone and I will skip to Bend and Break, as we soar a tad closer to my music, up there on iCloud;

I'll meet you on the other side
I'll meet you in the light
If only I don't suffocate
I'll meet you in the morning when you wake

Yeah, that’s exactly what I want. Bent and broken from a really busy year, I just want Kalkan to fix me, like I know it can. That service with a smile….the Best Burger…….the Kushti Kofte…..the freshest, chopped salad with the juices running red……Table One at Adam’s, looking out towards Meis through watery eyes. Priceless moments at a silly price.

Yeah, that’s what I want. Come on, taxi!

I’ll meet you on the other side. I’ll meet you in the morning when you wake.

Antler

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12826.0
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 06:38:27 AM by antler »

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Re: Kalkan: I don't like it - no, I love it!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 06:30:58 AM »
And so begins antler's 2015 travelogue! Hooray!  :laugh:

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 08:13:17 AM »
So excited for you Antler & family,  feel already that we are going on another holiday to our favourite place in the whole beautiful world.  Have a wonderful time, sounds like you are in need of some R & R - peace is around that corner!

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 09:19:48 AM »
Have a wonderful holiday.   Looking forward to hearing about restaurants enjoyed (we had lunch on the last day, only yesterday!) at Adem's overlooking that wonderful view.  Also looking forward to things you are cooking, not to mention what is cooked FOR you on Fathers Day.

Already looking forward to next visit to Kalkan in September and perhaps sampling some of the restaurants you enjoyed but we didn't get to this time.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 09:48:11 AM »
Have a fantastic holiday Antler, sounds like you're in need of a Kalkan fix as much as we are looking forward to your reports. Safe journey.  :) 8) :)

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 10:08:28 AM »
Yeah Antler's on his way!  Can't wait to read your daily reports on what you are doing, where you are eating, what you are cooking and all the things you and the family get up to.  Antlers have a great holiday in your special place!

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 10:35:26 AM »
 :D Happy days! Have a wonderful time. I'm so looking forward to your reports. We're there in 17 days time - yay!!!

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 12:19:22 PM »
Wishing you and your family a wonderful holiday. Can't wait to read your reports. I'm excited enough knowing that i will be there in a weeks time but reading your reports will be like having a 3 week holiday instead of my two!  :) 8) :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 12:21:04 PM »
We are waiting Antlers.....
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 01:25:39 PM »
Just having a slurp in the Airport. Well, it would be rude not to. I'm like a five year old at Christmas!!!

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 01:34:49 PM »
Not for long, K4E......Boarding Gate 6!

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 02:04:48 PM »
As with the wishes, have a lovely time ....... i know you will because you're going to KALKAN!!!!!

Missing it already and I have only been home for 3 weeks.  Already thinking about going back next year.

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 02:36:33 PM »
Doors to manual, pushing back. I smell a Bread  & More pizza.....very soon

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 06:26:03 PM »
Well, I'm sitting at home in West Yorks slurping a mojito and nibbling Kenan's nuts. Oo-er Mrs.....

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 07:40:11 PM »
Careful with those nuts, pw!

On the road to Kalkan......Nice pilot put his wings down.

Soon to see THAT view. And Relax....

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2015, 06:42:17 AM »
I couldn’t sleep on the way from Dalaman Airport. I wanted to savour every moment. The sky was still quite angry and the air steamy and hot outside of our air conditioned van.

We chose not stop to use the services, wanting to get here even sooner.

The service was OK on Jet2, better than last time on what seemed like a newer 737/800. Captain said the tail wind was really strong, so despite a 30 minute delay in leaving the tarmac at Leeds Bradford, we would arrive 15 minutes ahead of schedule. And so we did. With us being the only plane at the luggage carousel, and our tall driver holding our name high above the others, we were out of there in next to no time.

I rang Bread & More on the way and asked what time they would stay open tonight, as their web site says 2am. Midnight. They would prepare us a nice table and wished us a safe journey. Perfect.

We all cheered as we rounded the corner and the driver shouted “Kalkan!" as a lump came to my throat.

Roger, the Villa Agent was waiting for us – and yes! – it was the same Roger that we knew from before. Not so many Roger’s in Kalkan, he explained.

I had (kind of) forgotten just how beautiful this villa was, since turning up unexpectedly in 2012, with a slice of home cooked Orange Torte in my hand for the Villa owner, meaning “Please Miss, can I have a look around?” It was then that I decided that someday, we would do what we are doing now…..

All of those plans of “We must go out more this year…we must do this….we must do  that…oh, and we are going to do that” became less of a reality as Roger helped unfold (and I’m kind of lost for words here) the serenity of this place?  Jo & Rick immediately fell in love with the lounge - a room I had probably written off. Oh no, this was such a special place to them.

But it’s where I am now, up on the roof, that blows my mind. With the sun now burning my left shoulder a little after 8am, a breathless morning unfolds with just the coo of the pigeons, the splashing of someone, down below, refreshing our terraces and plants – and a mill pond sea. No sign of yesterday’s angry sky.

Here I am. I got here and right now, I’m feeling choked. I cannot deserve this. 

Maybe I do. And we couldn’t wait to get back here to get more of it after our dinner at Bread & More. We were so grateful for them – almost as many waiters as there were of us - staying open to feed us and I am not sure how it happened, but the waiter caught on to the Yorkshire “Eeeeh by gum” (is that Yorkshire?) and he played that to the full with an ear-to-ear grin. Pizzas, kebabs, casseroles and my stuffed aubergine hit the spot until the hands said almost two. And then we began to collapse. With a bill of TL300+ for the whole 8 of us, I left it to the others to check why the amount was so small.

I ended our arrival, here, on the roof terrace like I knew I would. Oli & I, father and son, listening to the crickets with a look on our face like cats enjoying the cream, planning our hours ahead in this space, in our own borrowed piece of paradise for the next 17 days.

We were going nowhere, not even to bed. We opened the fridge and poured another drink and looked out across the sea.

Antler.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 06:50:50 AM by antler »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2015, 07:53:01 AM »
Oh antler....you're home!!!
I cannot wait to read your daily updates - which I know will keep me sane once we have departed for blighty.
Always poetry....there's no other word for it. You are the Browning to my Jackie Collins :-*

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 09:08:55 AM »
So is this how it's going to be...me weeping into my coffee?  What a wonderful start! 6 weeks today and i should be posting the first of my blogs....just trying to think of a natty title!

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 09:24:16 AM »
Wow Antler! What an amazing first post.  My first question was going to be "I hope the villa has lived up to it's expectations? but I think we all now know the answer to that. So excited for you. Let the holiday begin !  :) :)

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2015, 09:44:58 AM »
Good to hear you all arrived safely and that Bread and More stayed open for you.  The weather looks as if it will be very good from now on so you should be able to relax without dodging the showers.

Have a good Father's Day tomorrow with your very own chef!  I presume that some time today he comes round and discusses what you want cooked.    Or are you leaving it to him to surprise you?   Maybe on our next visit we will get round to booking him if he is free.

Enjoy your holiday, I will be reading your blog and thinking of our next visit to lovely Kalkan.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
I LOVE KALKAN

Started by JacquiB on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post September 08, 2010, 09:02:20 PM
by Kefgirl
cheesy
Hi, I am new to site, but not to Kalkan (5 times) Love it!!!!!

Started by Mandee on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 08:58:14 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Everything I love about Kalkan encapulated in one photo!!

Started by goonernumber1 on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 05:05:06 PM
by Mrs B
xx
Lets go back to basics...what do you love about Kalkan?

Started by Mrs Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

20 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 02:48:00 PM
by tortoise lady

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

70s night

Views: 4035
By: jinfizzz
Views of Kalkan