Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Just the two of us - Part 2.  (Read 10798 times)

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Just the two of us - Part 2.
« on: September 23, 2015, 04:36:32 PM »
Well the build-up has started, the count down into single figures and the beautification process about to start! What we women have to do to look and feel at our best, especially as we get older – or is that just me? My OH just has to remember to pack the wash things (forgotten in the past) his swimming shorts (forgotten in the past) and his contact lens – guess what? Yes forgotten in the past!

So … clothes checked for ready to wear ability, lashes tomorrow, pedicure on Friday and hair and manicure on Saturday.  Family lunch for 29 on Sunday (don’t worry I’m not cooking!) before which I’ll need to check the OH’s packing. After lunch we’ll set off for our airport hotel; managed to bag a bargain Premier Inn room 20 minutes away from the airport for £39.
Flight out at a respectable time on Monday, which just happens to be my birthday. My way of thinking is that as I can’t really celebrate on the day (we’ll gloss over the overnight stay, the Aspire plus lounge and a few drinks on the plane – as Chris_S would say “hydration is important”) the entire week should be spent celebrating my birthday – yay!! :laugh:

We usually head to Bread and More when we get to Kalkan, which should be about 23:30, depending on whether we get an aspiring F1 driver or one a little more sedate!

We’ve pre-booked Olive Garden for our meal on the Tuesday and Mussaka for the Thursday, other than that the plan is to try some new places. Thank you to everyone for the many and varied reports on lots of other great restaurants it’s given us lots of ideas.

By the way did I tell you I love chips!! Doesn’t everyone? I try not to indulge at home, but when in Kalkan, well, just keep those chips and of course the rosé coming. Almost started a post that asked Kalkanites for their opinions on where the best chips can be found, will have to do some research, but any suggestions welcome of course.

Hoping that the weather cheers up; looking forward to some of that, normally, glorious Kalkan sunshine.

Will attempt some reports when we arrive.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13059.0

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: Just the two of us - Part 2.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 06:13:08 PM »
Cafe Vita...best chips ever!
Looking forward to your birthday week, janeb. Just follow Lizilu's lead 8) 8)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 07:27:38 PM »
Mmm chips in Kalkan. It's worth a holiday just to indulge in chips!
My vote went for...wait for it...MARINA! I can't believe that they were better than vitas but to my taste buds they were. Crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside, just perfect.

Hope I don't lead you astray Janeb - but when in Kalkan... ;) ;D

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 07:44:12 PM »
I'd have to say Mussakka for chips. Large portion and very tasty. Hope that you have a lovely and relaxing extended birthday.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 08:47:02 PM »
I don't think I've ever had real chips in Kalkan.......just the sort of fries you might have on the side, say at a beach club, clearly I'm missing a trick! Have a lovely holiday Jane and enjoy all those birthday celebrations......best place to celebrate a birthday!

Offline Trotter

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 09:01:02 PM »
hello janeb, we fly out on Sunday afternoon for 15 nights and are also hoping for improved weather. I have looked at the forecasts and it seems promising (the trick is to check all sites and stop when you find a decent forecast!)
We should arrive in Kalkan at about 10pm and would normally go to the Merkez for the first Efes and a snack but will have to look elsewhere so may now try Bread and More having seen your post.
Happy holidays!

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 12:03:58 AM »
A snack I loved in Bread & Mores is their jacket potato with meted cheese topped with crispy bacon...yummy.

Have a great time and  enjoyr your birthday. I always celebrate mine in alternatif.

BarbH

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 06:02:26 AM »
Have a great birthday and a wonderful holiday . Enjoy the chip hunting!

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 08:41:36 AM »
 :) Thanks everyone, I'll keep you posted and let you know all about the birthday fun.

:laugh: Trotter, I'm like you, I look at all the weather reports until I see one I like too! Enjoy Bread and More, we've always enjoyed our late supper there, hope you do too. Might try the jacket potato - sounds yummy.

Will definitely take up the chip challenge, someone has to do it. Lol!

Offline littlebrowndog

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 09:20:22 AM »
I'm looking forward to reading your reports and comparing notes. Keep on with the lists, they are the key to everything in my world! 

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 10:22:12 AM »
I agree Marina for chips!  :)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 10:35:33 AM »
Loads of good chips in Kalkan.  Is it the potato type or the sunflower oil (I think) they cook them in, that makes them so?

Actually, the most impressive chips we had this year were at Moonlight Pansiyon.

Now I've said that, they'll probably be McCain oven chips by now....

Looking forward to your reports, but who's got the baton, now? ???
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 10:56:51 AM »
I love " the world famous " chips at Café Vita.........at least that is what Mustafa,the owner calls them..........they are very yummie.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 01:40:44 PM »
Oh janeb the build up to holidays is fab isn't it. Family meal for 29 sounds great, and I bet you are glad that you aren't cooking! Hope you have a wonderful time and get to celebrate your birthday in style! Re CHIPS, well yes definitely Marina, although Adem's Restaurant on the Kas Road are fab, along with Cafe Vita, and Moussaka, but also we had a meal up at Lavanta (burger and chips) all home cooked and both were wonderful!

Enjoy  :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 06:03:46 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 03:31:20 PM »
Best chips I've ever had in Kalkan were at Cafe Ev - with a sublime Tuna Cheese Melt Panini.

I'm on countdown too - flying out on Monday for a few weeks, but have been a bit over-zealous in my running down of fridge stocks. I'm down to some Laughing Cow cheese triangles, half a bag of kale, a can of Strongbow and a jar of mint sauce.  :-\

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 05:49:00 PM »
Sounds like a chippy tea for you then! Have a great stay.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 06:53:31 PM »
Christina......it's sounds as though you have the perfect ingredients for Ainsley Harriett's show... 'Ready Steady Cook'.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 11:22:57 AM »
Hi janeb, hope you are having a good flight and looking forward to your reports. No pressure  ;D

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 02:17:10 PM »
Day 1

Started brilliantly. Walked into the VIP lounge at Bristol. Ordered a glass of Prosecco for me and a G&T for Richard, would madam prefer a glass of champagne? Let me think about that one! Yes please; a previous visitor had ordered a bottle had one glass and left the rest, it would be silly to waste it!!

It was a fairly uneventful flight with Thomson, had a grumpy flight attendant who had obviously got out of bed on the wrong side that morning. Other than almost having our cheese toasties thrown at us all went well and we landed only 10 minutes late. We sped through passport control and then waited and waited for our luggage. Carousel 1 started and stopped, then started and stopped another 1/2 dozen times, then some kind soul uttered the words 'the luggage is now coming on carousel 2' and like lemmings we all moved seamlessly to that carousel, well apart from a few wiser souls who sensibly edged their bets by hovering in the middle. Yep you guessed it, the cases then started to be discharged from the original turntable. A little light relief that made us frustrated travellers smile. Reunited with our cases we left the terminal, the warmth of the evening sun was wonderful, that together with the scents that seem, to me, be unique to Turkey welcomed us back.

Transfer found, we set off through Dalaman, and soon joined the D400. Some gentle dozing followed and before we knew it, the poly tunnels came into sight, not long now...The gentle climb up towards that long anticipated bend in the road that offers up that amazing view of Kalkan, the lights twinkling their welcome. Yes we're here.

We get dropped off at the hotel, and what a welcome we received. The friends we've made over the years were there to welcome us home. Our room had been upgraded, from the basic room I'd originally booked to one of their best, we now had a room with its own private pool. Thank you Sema. The room had been decorated with flowers, the towels sculpted into swans, and a large bowl of fruit and a bottle of wine had been left for us alongside birthday posters and wishes for a happy stay. Too tired to walk up to Bread and More we headed to the hotel bar for a catchup with our friend Mendares and a nightcap to bring  to a close a perfect day 

Day 2

Weather amazing, very hot, no plans other than to relax and enjoy the sunshine. After a delicious breakfast we settled down on the most comfortable sun beds ever! Just perfect for some gentle snoozing and reading.  Not forgetting that hydration is important we did top ourselves up with, wait for it .... WATER, well until lunchtime anyway. After the largest glass of rose with lunch, I'm convinced it was almost half a bottle of wine in one glass, the afternoon drifted along beautifully in a wine induced haze, we moved sun beds and adjourned to those by our own pool it was great.

Didn't have our usual early evening G&T thought we ought to be sensible (why?) and pace ourselves, lots of places to visit tonight. Suitably suited and booted we head off into town, just a short walk along the Kalamar Road we stopped to have  chat with Mr Happy who looks very well and is recovering at a pace now, he hopes to be on top form after resting further over the winter.  We walk on past Mini Bar, promising Gorkan that we'll stop on the way back, and head for the first stop of every holiday, yep, it's Moonlight. We
catch  up on the news of the summer, the impact of the difficulties in Syria and the stomach problems have all combined to have impacted badly on business, it's been such a difficult year for everyone.

Even though the hotel is full the town feels very quiet but we're assured that business in September has been good. From Moonlight we move onto the Fountain Bar, a couple of Mojitos later we say goodnight to Yasim and head for dinner in the Olive Garden, I pre booked this from home so our table was perfectly positioned at the front. Food was amazing, we both had the Lamb Stew, not quite as good as the Goat version but delicious none the less. Finished the meal with, yet another drink, this time in Botanik. Now it's time for some shopping, first Oscars for a watch, 5 minutes later a lovely new 'Rolex" is on a wrist, rose gold earrings are in the bag, next stop BSG, one mulberry bag and a cover for my iPhone purchased, all birthday gifts, feeling very pleased we then finally head back to our Oasis, but not forgetting our promise to have a drink with Gorkan. Smiling very broadly by now we start the short walk back, then toot toot and it's Can, he was the owner of Coriander, until things went badly wrong, but has now opened  a new bar/restaurant called LaPazz just off the roundabout. With promises to visit we eventually make it back to the hotel.

Hope I haven't bored you all. Having problems posting. I hope you get just the one report and not several.

It's the start of day 3, the sun is shining and all is well in paradise. Will post again tomorrow.

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2015, 03:06:36 PM »
Day 3 

Weather lovely, some afternoon clouds but no sign of the expected rain shower. Very humid in the evening definitely no need for a jacket. Today was spent largely in the horizontal position just occasionally sitting up for the necessary glass of Rose and for lunch by the pool. Richard headed off for a game of backgammon with Mendares which turned into a large glass of Efes and a chat with other guests. A couple had gone  on the Kaya BBQ and had a great time despite a shower of rain at one point.

After exchanging lots of happy memories of previous visits to Kalkan we set off along the lovely flower decked avenue that runs parallel to the Kalamar road. Stopping to say hello to Yassar at Yeni Korsan. We had a lovely holiday there a couple of years ago and try to drop by and see Yassar and sample his delicious homemade lemonade and mint drink whenever we're in Kalkan. His eldest son had started school for the first time that day which was lovely to hear, he'd been a toddler running around when we last saw him. With promises to come back for lunch the next day and see the work Yassar had done to improve the bathrooms in the apartments over the winter we headed off to Doy Doy for dinner, we slipped past Mini Bar and Moonlight and made our way to see Burak at Black and Gold, he's working so hard to make his fledgling business a success and it's definitely paying off.               

Chips, chips and more chips! So tonight we began our research on where the best chips can be found. We didn't bother with chips last night in the Olive Garden, last year's experience of them had been disappointing. So how would Doy Doy's stack up? Well, good but not brilliant, frozen not handcut, they will have to try better. However our steak with Roquefort was amazing. After dinner we stopped off in Botanik and finally enjoyed a drink with Can in his new restaurant LaPlazz.

I know we're supposed to be trying new places but isn't happening so far! Tomorrow will see us heading to Mussaka, purely for chip research of course.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Just the two of us (part 2)

Started by janeb on Holiday Reports and Reviews

14 Replies
Last post July 12, 2015, 09:59:20 PM
by Mrs M!
xx
Joycie Part 2

Started by joycie on Holiday Reports and Reviews

0 Replies
Last post September 21, 2013, 12:48:59 AM
by joycie
xx
The delights of renting (Part 1)

Started by MartynE on General Discussion

124 Replies
Last post April 18, 2014, 06:34:25 AM
by Christina
xx
New home in Kalkan Part 2

Started by Mike on Living In Kalkan

9 Replies
Last post September 20, 2015, 12:31:23 PM
by Christina

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal