Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Just returned from Kalkan for the first time – what did we think ?  (Read 10035 times)

Offline Tony

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
I will write this review for those like me that have not been to Kalkan before.

The Town
Kalkan is a very nice town it reminded me of a Cornish fishing village or perhaps Whitby in the North East of England. Built on a hill sloping down to the harbour so OK on the outward journey but uphill all the way on the way home. Quaint narrow streets with many restaurants with roof top terrace (see review below), small craft shops lots of Jewellery shops & a few bars that spread into the streets. Kalkan is not as cheap as other Turkish resorts & also a lot more laid back no karaoke or noisy discos the most you will get in Kalkan is a bar with a television & the odd firework being let off in the street. If you like a nice meal then a few drinks in the bar whilst watching the world go by then you will love Kalkan if on the other hand you want to party party then Kalkan is not for you. Personally I would have liked a little more entertainment after my meal as was available in Hisaranou the year before last nothing too over the top but a live blues rock band in the bar or something but we made the most of what there was. The people were very friendly and as we were a party of six we soon got noticed and could not go down town without most of the bar & restaurant owners shouting out greetings to us.

Beaches
 The best beach was Patara it cost the six of us 60 tl  about £5 each for a return taxi ride pay the driver on the return trip & get his name most have a card so you can give him a ring if he forgets you, costs 5tl to get into the beach plus it cost 20tl for 4 sun beds & 2 parasols. There is a beach café which was very good for lunch & the odd EFS & reasonably priced. The beach was sand & very nice the sea warm with some good waves so watch small children as they could get knocked off their feet.
Kalkan beach did not use this but had a look, it was pebbly but had sun beds & parasols plus there was a beach bar, looks like it is being expanded.
Capitas Beach again a taxi ride think it cost 6 of us 50 tl return very steep steps down to the beach that were not in the best condition they would have been cordoned off in England so take care no beach café but an enterprising Turkish man & woman have set up halfway down the steps to sell pancakes, fruit & cold drinks.
No sun beds but parasols were available. Nice sandy beach & warm sea the day we were there it was very hot so take your sunscreen. Don’t stand in the shadow of the Jandama’s hut they don’t like you standing in their space.

Restaurants    
I went armed with reviews but on the first night just took pot luck
Odak
First one we came to just past the post office we were offered a free bottle of wine so we were sold food not bad think I had a Turkish pot that I shared with my bro in law as it was for two my wife had liver as she loves it but I can’t stand it good value & OK food.
Olive Tree
Found this on the afternoon whilst having lunch in Merkez ( think that’s how its spelt ) The Olive Tree was above so looked at the menu & booked a table very nice décor & super view but once its dark you cant see it the food was very good I had spicy sausage & very nice it was to.
Ozalp
Very friendly guy on the street trying to get you to try the Ozalp good choice & good value and to be served by Robbie Williams was a novelty well perhaps it was not the real one but he sure looked like him. Can’t remember what I had think it was a Turkish pot with cumin it was nice though.
Ramis
I knew Sunny from Kalkan chat website so recognised him & when I said I was a member of Kalkan chat he appeared to remember my name he did look very pleased to see me though. This was a very good meal could not make my mind up as what to have Ramis meatballs sounded nice but in the end I went for Mexican steak as I was hungry I was not disappointed plenty of chilli in it, had a bottle of house red which was made by Ramis grandfather it was nice but far too warm I’m not a wine snob & quite like red wine chilled & room temp in Kalkan is hot.
Sofra  
Nice meal thinks I had a chicken wok a good meal but nothing special.
Rendezvous
Apparently the sister restaurant to Doy Doy not the best of views but the food more than made up for it & you cant see the view when its dark. I had a salsa steak & it was a very good fillet steak one of the best I have ever had. Service was also very good & a young lady serving as well plus an individual bottle of red wine (Angora) & a choice of chilled or room temp the best so far.
Chopstix Xchange 
Went here after returning from a jeep safari (highly recommended) as this was just down the road from our villa, must admit we had looked at it when passing & thought it looked a bit suspect but once we went in we found it very nice we ordered our food & then the lights went out the young lady ran around bringing candles which did not shine much light out but better than nothing. The hot & sour soup was very good as was the chicken satay although I haven’t a clue what it looked like.
Doy Doy 
Well just had to try Doy Doy after reading all the good reviews both of my sons were not feeling too well so perhaps we should have chosen another day plus the waiter had told us there was a very large party coming in at 20:00hrs so we went a bit earlier. To be honest we were not impressed the food was OK but I think they tried too hard to impress I had beef chilli which was just strips of beef, wilted spinach, chilli peppers & basil just thrown in a bowl we had a small plate of chips & a small plate of veg 2 potatoes between 6, so we drew lots to see who got the carrot. There was also no free bread before the meal unlike all other restaurants we went to. The service however was good & the waiter offered a free drink to my son as he left some of his meal as he was not well the waiter was very concerned that everything was not OK.
Arena
The Arena is next door to Ozalp the man on the door (Mr Happy) greeted us everyday with a salute & a friendly hello even though we had not been to his restaurant so we thought we would give him a try we were not disappointed I had sea bass in a parcel very nice & loads of veg they kept bringing more & more mash, chips, rice & mixed veg very different from Doy Doy.
Coast
A very smart restaurant with a modern feel with some Asian dishes  I had the Thai red curry which is one of my favourites it was OK but not earth shattering but nice for a change.
Ramis
Yeah made a return visit had to try those meatballs & yes they were very nice. The wine was still too warm though.
Rendezvous
Had to go back & it was just as good the second time got talking to the manager he looks like Mr Miyagi from Karate Kid you know wax on wax off well he told us we should have been in yesterday as Charlie from casualty
(Derek Thompson) had been in for a meal as he ownes a villa in Kalkan – name dropper ! for us the best restaurant.
Ozalp
Also made a return visit & again not disappointed excellent service from head waiter Henry I watched him bone a whole fish for one customer he did not leave a single piece of fish on the bone.
Arena
And for the last night went back to Arena as we were guaranteed a good meal as it was the last night my son & I had chateaubriand it was lovely asked for it medium but it still had a pulse in the middle but still tasted good.
Doyum
Got to give this one a mention we used it for lunch on 3 occasions very, very nice run by a lovely family excellent food & service, since seen some reviews for evening meals that were good perhaps we missed a good one there if lunch was anything to go by.
Café Del Mar
Great for a coffee & a cake or you can have an EFS if you fancy, very friendly cat who comes & sits with you on the sofa, free internet also. But don’t be in a rush as service is only slow but who cares when you’re on hol.

Bars
Moonlight
Nice bar top of the town near Sofra sky TV music playing friendly staff  EFS = 4 tl   
Utopia
This bar is next door to moonlight, only went here once. Think Basil Faulty owns this, asked for the 2.5l EFFS thing where you pour your own drinks from your table, but he just turned around and said “NO” then walked off.
Yali Bar
Further down in middle of town very friendly staff 2 tvs outside, music playing sparklers & fireworks now & then EFS = 4tl
Kleo Bar
Down at the end of the harbour again friendly staff one loves taking photos so expect to say goodbye to your camera for half an hour, music EFS = 4 tl
Yacht Point Bar
Down on the harbour front a complete rip off young turks in black t shirts Bob Marley music EFS 6 tl !!!!!! come on I can buy it for £1.89p in Weatherspoons  no wonder it was empty never went back.
Nextdoor
Don’t know its name but its next door to Yacht Point you can hear Bob Marley from Yacht Point but the
 EFS = 4.5 tl so work it out for yourself.
Garden Bar
Along the far end past Doy Doy etc next to Fish Terrace a very nice quiet bar in a courtyard run by a very  friendly lady and her family. This is a very  peaceful place to sit & enjoy a drink & chill out & the beer is very reasonably priced
EFS = 3 tl
Foto Place
Top end of town upstairs sit on cushions  EFS 3 tl
Pasha Bar
Just down from the Yali opposite Belgins Kitchen a modern bar for the teenagers but that didn’t stop us they had a DJ playing boom boom music I know he was a DJ as he had his earphones around his neck to impress the girls I saw him the next day in the afternoon on his scooter & he still had them on I bet he sleeps with them on !!!
EFS = 5 tl only stopped for one & didn’t bother again.
Cinar Bar   ;D
By far the best bar in town next to the Yali supermarket brand new this year opened by Tekin & his family Amed his son is learning the business very nice young man, Tekin worked for 10 yrs at Yali bar which is run by his brother the other brother runs the supermarket lovely comfy furniture leather settees free pool & billiard tables free internet Tekin loves blues rock so loads of excellent music EFS 3.5 tl  and at present not many people have found it.

Front of the Cinar Bar

This is where the bar is now

Accommodation
We hired the Villa Gomah & all I can say is its awful  !!!!!
 no only joking don’t want everyone to book it up it was out of this world everything we wanted could find no fault & in a very good position off the Kalamar road, Rambo looked after us brought fresh bread every day watered the plants & kept the pool clean he drove by a few times a day to make sure everything was OK.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2274.0
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 09:16:42 AM by Tony »

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
Wow Tony - what a lovely report - thankyou!  Brought back so many memories..!!  Yes - I can agree with lots of what you said re: restaurants and bars..!!  My daughter must agree with the prices at Yacht Point - well overpriced these days - so she has moved on to the Pasha bar full of the loud music (just up her street as well!). - great reading - thank you!!  :)
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Resident: No
What a great holiday report - thanks so much for sharing it with us  :D

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
Have to disagree about the Pasha bar, I am not a teenager and I think it''s the best bar in Kalkan, the music is not boom boom, it''s modern, the DJ also plays some oldies and Turkish music and believe me he doesn''t have to walk round with his headphones on to impress the girls, he''s a lovely bloke, very friendly and a great DJ, he has been a DJ in Kalkan for a number of years and has been a good friend of ours for years.

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
Nice report - particularly interested inthe Cinar Bar as it''s only a stone''s throw from our apartment - not too far to stagger back... I''d wager we will be sampling their wares in September!

Only nine sleeps now...  ;D

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
I have to agree about Pasha Bar,love it,when I am in kalkan it is my local,Its doing pretty good in its first
season,great staff,great music and Ozzy the DJ is brilliant and he shouldnt have any problems impressing
the ladies with or without his headphones !

Neil. >:D
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

recycled
First Time in Kalkan, In fact - First Time Abroad Alone!! HELP!!

Started by ed2 on General Discussion

23 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 11:42:34 AM
by alantj
thumbup
just returned

Started by maduk on Holiday Reports and Reviews

6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 04:31:29 PM
by Brooksie
xx
Just returned (sad face!)

Started by Helshe on Holiday Reports and Reviews

3 Replies
Last post June 14, 2013, 04:31:51 PM
by Helshe
xx
Just returned - my favourite restaurants

Started by LozJay on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

17 Replies
Last post August 21, 2008, 01:53:10 PM
by Harry

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal