Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Just got back!  (Read 12488 times)

Offline east

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
Just got back!
« on: August 25, 2010, 07:55:26 PM »

Hi me and my girlfriend have just got back from Kalkan after 2 weeks. Our first impressions were how come everyone has brought their whole family with them? Ha ha! Most were in at least a group of six! I haven't experienced that before and been to Turkey four times. All 3 boat trips we did had 4 - 8 groups of family on them which meant it was difficult in some circumstances on a boat.

I thought the restaurants according to all the reports and on here and trip advisor were wildly overated. I eat in many great restaurants across Britain and yes Lush could cook a steak but they could also smother it with packet pepper sauce and charge a tenner for overdone prawns. Aubergine was nice, rather average, fish terrace the head maitre'd lied to us?? How odd? He told us we were lucky to get the last 2 specials of the day so we were pleased...then half way through our meal brought two more for the next new table!? Belgins was good and relaxing, IBO was lively and the drinks were nice. Nar we had to send our food back and were offered a discount.

Kalkan needs to sell another beer other than Efes... I thought I was in Grounghog Day! Restaurants were also quite quiet every night we thought, empty in fact by 10pm which is when we were ready to eat. Fresh Ice cream on the harbour was a highlight during the day as was the fresh water spring...amazing and shocking! The habour beach was the best by far, lots of fun, easy to swim in, compared to Patara in which we couldnt swim in...and was like Benidorm it was so packed. Yali Beach club was good too. Boat trips were all ace, we asked and researched all best boats and trips etc but they all do the same run anyway. Club Lycia was my favourite on Kekova trip. Our hotel was the Asiyan which was ok, hard beds, nightmarish aircon, freezing or sweating take your pick. Pool looked good but could rarely get in due to groups of 12 and families. Surrounding area stunk of bins and poo most of the time. Not recommended. Lots more but I think you get the gyst, not the best hol, poor food, nightlife limited other than Mojito. I won't be recommending Kalkan to anyone soon and wont be returning after really looking forward to our trip after booking six months in advance. Shame.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6236.0

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
Re: Just got back!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 08:02:35 PM »
Kalkan has, supposedly, 120 restaurants. It does not have 120 good chefs!  Pick well & you can eat well.

I suspect that a lot of flak is coming your way, east!

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 08:22:07 PM »
Oh gosh East - you've had a disappointing time. There's not a lot that can be one about large family groups, particularly at this time of year. A real shame you are not happy with your experiences, better luck with your next choice of destination.
if you can walk you can dance

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 08:30:17 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to write this report. It is always good to read someone else's take on Kalkan, including the bad. It would be a sad old world if we all enjoyed the same things.
Sorry it did not come up to your expectations but hope your next holiday is a good one.
Joan

Offline johnl

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 08:35:43 PM »
No flack as you told it as you saw it,but i would point out that if you go anywhere in mid august it is going to be crowded.Of course families are going to be there and everyone would want to use the pool as,it has i belive, been very hot this year.Cannot comment on the restaurents mentioned as i have not eaten at any of them,but can say in 9 years i have never had a bad meal,ask around see where locals eat,dont always go for the expensive places it has allways worked for me.One more point to really enjoy Kalkan at its best ,go in May  or October,you will be amazed at the difference.

Offline east

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 09:52:52 PM »
Thanks.We did like Begonville next 2 Mousakka that was where we ate most, and Eden was lovely but we never saw anyone else in that bar for the 2 weeks?

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 10:17:08 PM »
Hello East!
Did you get to meet Kenan (Toni) in Eden? He was the waiter in Chillies when we were there, a really nice, genuine guy, and he moved to Eden. We've been in touch since we have been back and will make Eden a first Port of Call next time we are over there (he says he will still be there in October when we go again).
Thanks for your insight
Antler

Offline east

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 10:31:16 PM »
Yes we did at lenght about the 125 countries he's been too, and his love of Istanbul...he was a nice guy we had fun there, he recommended we went to chillies, never made it in the end unfortunately, the guitarist was friendly and welcoming too.

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 10:34:07 PM »
Patara beach packed??   What, all 18 kilometers of it???     Good god, there must have been at least half a million people there!   The swimming there is marvellous, no bother at all.
Are you sure you have not muddled it up with Kaputas?  Sorry you were disappointed with Kalkan, but it would not do for us all to like the same thing, how boring would that be?

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 09:27:14 AM »
I'm happy to pass on your positive comment to Kerim at Belgin's and to the other ones mentioned positively .... so that's just the one then!  Sorry you found so little to your liking - some people really seem to like the place!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 11:46:29 AM »
east, its such a shame you didn't enjoy Kalkan - particularly as you've been to Turkey before and did have some other resorts to compare it with. Kalkan during August is very family-orientated - we normally avoid it like the plague when we come as a couple, prefering June or October. We do visit in July/August when we come with our "kids", and it does feel like a different place. I see you were dissappointed with the "nightlife", but frankly if you were after night clubs, perhaps Kalkan was the wrong choice for you as its very limited.
Eden is a gem, we acturally walked past it for an entire stay last year without realising it was there, but "discovered" it this year.
Good luck finding somewhere else...have you tried Croatia?
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 01:19:57 PM »
First mistake, never go on other people's recommendations, I never eat at places recommended on forum's or trip adviser as other people have different tastes to me, I like to discover places for myself!! Also the restaurants would be empty at that time of night as most people eat earlier than 10, that's just your personal preference.

Secondly, you say nightlife limited other than Mojito, what about club chocolate, Ignite, Moonlight, Yali bar, Utopia to name a few?? Where you expecting big Ibiza style clubs??

There is also beer available other than Efes, you just have to ask!

I agree with MaryJane about Patarta, its a huge beach, could you not have got away from the crowds, also can't understand how you couldn't swim there?

Offline Dellbarr

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 01:22:37 PM »
I've had a two bed apartment there for the last six years and go out twice a year. In all that time I have only had one bad meal. Why did you go out in August? You nshould have expected large family groups then. ???

Offline AllanChris

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 11:54:01 PM »
No flack as you told it as you saw it,but i would point out that if you go anywhere in mid august it is going to be crowded.Of course families are going to be there and everyone would want to use the pool as,it has i belive, been very hot this year.Cannot comment on the restaurents mentioned as i have not eaten at any of them,but can say in 9 years i have never had a bad meal,ask around see where locals eat,dont always go for the expensive places it has allways worked for me.One more point to really enjoy Kalkan at its best ,go in May  or October,you will be amazed at the difference.
Quite agree John, we go in May and October and Kalkan is all that we want it to be.  8)
Keep On Rockin' In The Free World!

Offline PACHSU

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 10:36:19 AM »
Unfortunately we have no choice but to go in July and August because of our Children, obviously have to pay the grossly inflated prices as well and have to expect and endure the masses. Unfortunate yes but there is no choice - however if we did not have the kids we would go in that period? Of couse not - it beggers belief that someone would choose such a time and then complain.
We had some excellent meals in Kalkan and to be honest we had a couple of shockers. On the whole the service was excellent but again we had some atrocious service. However, what floats my boat may sink someone elses. I always take a blank canvas and add the colours as I go along.
By the way Alan I thought the music nights at the Lounge were excellent this year.

Offline AllanChris

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 05:42:06 PM »
Music nights at the Lounge? Tell me more please Pachsu, The only (live) music I know of is played in The Nur Hotel Pool Bar!

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2010, 07:33:25 PM »
AllanChris you should get out more as everyone and his dog has live music this year :D

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 08:55:30 PM »
I can maybe understand that not everyone likes the same things, but to class Patara Beach like Benidorm is unbelievable. 18kms sand, a national park, lycian ruins being excavated and not a building in sight, not to mention it is classified as one of the top 10 beaches in the world.  OK it may not be to your taste but please get real with your comparisons!

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 12:44:45 AM »
Music nights at the Lounge? Tell me more please Pachsu, The only (live) music I know of is played in The Nur Hotel Pool Bar!

Erik and his band are now playing every Tuesday night at the Lounge... Erik no longer plays at the Nur, but Baris still has his band playing there on Thursdays and weekends. Hopefully I'll be siting in with them all again a few times in September  ;)

Offline janjeff

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 09:56:20 AM »
and maybe the people on the next table that had the special after you, ordered it in advance!, we do that if its a good one,why would the waiter lie about that?? you were going to order a meal anyway

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
I'm back too

Started by itstime on Introduce Yourself

12 Replies
Last post September 14, 2019, 12:59:14 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Just back!!!!!

Started by maryjane on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post January 15, 2012, 10:27:55 PM
by maryjane
xx
Just got back!

Started by LozJay on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post May 13, 2012, 02:49:30 PM
by HolmfirthNicky
xx
Just got back......

Started by clarkster10 on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post September 30, 2009, 05:37:30 PM
by clarkster10

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal