Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Joyce's adventures in wonderland  (Read 36196 times)

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Joyce's adventures in wonderland
« on: September 06, 2014, 06:03:44 AM »
I cooked breakfast and set the table on the balcony at the back of the apartment. The bacon we bought with us in the case is coming to an end and soon we'll be chewing the streaky bacon from Yali with wonderful eggs and tomatoes. Had a cup of tea yams you do and decided that it was going to be a beach club day but which one? When we first came to Kalkan really didn't know much about beach clubs there was really only Kalamar Mahal Yali and Caretta Caretta. We had stopped at Yali and so used theirs regularly and because it was close to Caretta Caretta used theirs as we'll. I always remember the Caretta Caretta mini bus picking us up as we walked round the dusty path even though we weren't stopping there and how we used to sit on their terrace and listen to someone with a hacking cough but never got to know who. Finally we met him forgotten his name but he was charming husband of the daughter in law who did the cooking and he always used to give me a big sloppy kiss.i had my 60th birthday there and it was wonderful
Alright I digress again. Sat in Fenners watching the boats xand decided Palm Beach it was. Went last year after Bri had come out of hospital and he sat in the swinging chair on the terrace. He didn't remember so I thought we'd jog the old memory.

We headed for the  beach club and saw two turtles swimming just ahead of us. Their heads kept surfacing and it was magical to spot the turtle when we least expected it. The boat hit the corner of the key and we alighted daintily and again I remember on our trips to Mahal in the early days how Bri and Dave used to lie next to the boatman and how Vicky's husband from Anil used to be the Mahal boatman. Still with the pony tail but a little greyer this time. There was someone sitting on the terrace where we sat last year so we sat together on the big deck just as you get off the boat and I pulled out my book and the others went swimming. We had coffees and the waiter I remembered from Kaptans served us. Lunch was lovely Bri had an omelette with a few chips and I had a cheeseburger. I had a glass of red wine but it was cold and the waiter knew it should have been warm and offered to put it up his t shirt to warm it. That was a step too far for me so I declined his wonderful offer and only moaned silently as I sipped it.
We spent a lovely afternoon there declined Dave's offer of a ride on a doughnut. We went jet boating in NewZealand but the doughnuts were a step too far. On our return we bade farewell to Dave and Mor and plonked ourselves into Kleos for an Efes before the walk up Everest.
Decided we would eat in so collected the lovely chicken that we had ordered on our way down and they gave us a lovely bag of deli vegetables to go with it. Put in two jacket potatoes prepared some salad opened a bottle of Angora and enjoyed a lovely meal.
Had a shower put on a sarong and then we played crib which my husband had taught me and I duly beat him three times.
It was a lovely day again so tomorrow who knows I look forward with great anticipation Kalkan never fails.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12366.0

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
Re: Joyce's adventures in wonderland
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 06:56:12 AM »
Lovely report joycie, keep them coming.  We have been home 4 weeks and it feels like  a lifetime!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 08:01:48 AM »
Reading this before I have even made our coffee this morning Joycie, wonderful and thank you! A good start to Saturday morning.  Have another lovely day today. 

Jx

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 10:12:36 AM »
Thanks for your blog Joycie - you made us giggle on a dreary, drizzly Sat morning here in Yorkshire. Say hello to Bri, Dave and Mor xxxx

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 10:59:31 AM »
Dreary and drizzly here in Lancashire too but you just brightened my day joycie! Thanks and Keep 'em coming  :)

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 11:30:17 AM »
Hi Sue and Shaun I was talking about you to Martyn the other day. I hope you are getting better we had a wonderful holiday last year in Sahaine even with everything else that went on and the view from your place is to die for. We're very happy here been to Martyns a couple of times and tonight we'll meet up with Dave and Mor for a 30th anniversary meal. Should wear pearls shouldn't I.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 02:05:21 PM »
Joycie, you're on holiday, wear whatever you like!  :laugh:
Glad to hear you're having a lovely holiday!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 05:40:22 PM »
Thanks for posting, joycie. I was seriously beginning to get Kalkan withdrawal symptoms. I've also found your other posts - not quite sure how you managed to get them where they are but hopefully a nice moderator will pick them up and move them all to here where everyone can follow your blog.
Very jealous that you are in Kalkan when we are back here in UK  :(
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 05:53:19 AM »
Sitting watching the sun come over the hillside with anice cup of tea and my trusty tablet.Brian is taking his regime of pills and can't speak but with a little bit of miming I manage to establish that he'll cook breakfast.
Yesterday was a pool day but first we had to restock the wine rack and get some bread. Sounds like a job for one of the disciples but as we didn't need any fishes we tootled off down towards my island by the school. We purchased a bottle of red Majestik 14.5 lire which had cost 40 in the restaurant and then proceeded to the bakers which you had all told me about underneath the green grocers. It was very hot in there but busy and I couldn't make up my mind what to have. We had a lovely loaf which they sliced and a couple of rolls to eat with our lunch. A coffee was then called for so out to the coffee shop which is full of locals eating and drinking and the wonderful little lady sitting over her fire making the flat breads. Didn't do cappuccino or latte but a NescafƩ which was almost a strong Turkish coffee with a drop of milk went down very well a trip to the bank for some cash was then required. Last year we were getting a better rate at the Bank but so far we have got 3.46 at the banks and up to 3.51 in the shops.
Back to the lovely Nur apartments and we settled by the pool for the afternoon. Fiona and Martyn popped in to greet some new guests and we read and slept . I haven't bought my smart phone with me but my old orange phone with topip. Mor and I had had a little lapse of concentration concerning communications and she was texting my phone back in Staffordshire. Finally got amessage on Facebook from her son giving details of our meet. We were to meet at 6pm at the beagle bar or Bezigrans to everyone else. We call it that because last year that was where we first met up with the beagle puppy who is now a fully grown dog and wandering everywhere round by the island.
It was very hot but an Efes or two did the trick and Mor read me the text messages which are sitting on my other phone. It's quite a good way of communicating because if you don't understand the message at least you're sitting next to the person whose sending it to you.
We then decided Chilies was our next port of call and we were made welcome as always and sat down to study the menu. Mr happy came and gave Dave a wonderful massage the lovely puffy bread and dips arrived and those that had ordered starters proceeded to eat. Mor and I had the chicken with blue cheeses and it was lovely. Brian had a Turkish casserole and we consumed one or two bottles of red and rose majestik. Don't know what the bill came to because by then I wasn't exactly compis menus but was a little squiggly and had still got to climb back home.
We all kissed and bade farewell and agreed to meet up and do it all again very soon. Our 30 years of friendship was well and truly celebrated.

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 08:15:53 AM »
Joycie, sounds as if you are having a lovely time.Where abouts did you get the wine...Yali or Lucky or somewhere else ?

We love Chillies.......their puffed up breads,their chicken casseroles are lovely,as are their chicken shish kebabs.I love the staff...the guy that meets and greets people always reminds us of a taller version of Yul Brenner (from the king and I) and Mr Happy who is always predicting the coming weather such as................."we are expecting rain and storms" and then......Bang !! a day or so later..the thunder begins !

I must say regarding changing currency that we have never received less in the banks than in the shops.We always go inside the bank...to the counter to exchange and is always higher.

We have never used the ATM'S outside........Did you use the atm machine or from the counter.You wouls get a poorer rate from PTT as they charge commission.

I hope you have another fantastic day in Paradise.

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/kalkan/9407

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 08:31:12 AM »
Joycie, thank you for another lovely fix of Kalkan with my morning coffee! Brilliant, just sitting here thinking about those guys in Chillies, and although we saw them as we walked by this year, we didn't actually eat there, and am not sure why, because we love it in there.  Will definitely be on our list for next year though.  Have another wonderful day and look forward to tomorrow's report.

Jayne

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 06:23:12 AM »
So the cocks have crowed the wailers wailed dogs have barked cocks done a bit more crowing and all is well in beautiful Kalkan. It was time to get out of bed. Put the kettle find the I pad and off to start my blog. I then hada chicken and an egg moment what came first? Was it the toilet roll that can't be flushed down the loo or the pipes that are too narrow.its alright not completely mad but my turn to take the bags of paper down to the bin. In fact it's always my turn and I guess it was something designed by man for woman to use.
Get to the front door and distracted by the gardener who was watering the flowers. I hadn't brought my wellies with me so a bit of paddling was called for. Bri was behind me to direct me to the bin of course and then there was an explosion of hugging and talking (Bri and the gardener) and I realised that it was Memhet who was at the Serra many moons ago when we first came to Kalkan. He's a lovely guy and plays a wicked game of dominoes which we always got involved in when we returned to the Serra. The Serra isn't there now but the lovely people who introduced us to Kalkan still are.
We left Memhet doing his various duties said we would see him soon and meandered down town to Fenners for a coffee.we sat at end overlooking the boats and watching them narrowly miss each other as they left the harbour. I could hear a definite midlands accent at the next table and remarked on it and asked them where they came from? Wolverhampton was the reply and we explained that we lived between Stafford and Lichfield Rugeley in fact and blow me down they confessed that they did too but didn't think anyone would know where it was so always say Wolverhampton.
Small world. They were going home Monday so we said safe journey and got the little boat to the beach club. Not too choppy nice elegant landing couple of turtles on the starboard side and a day of lovely relaxation. Somebody dropped something through the wooden slats and there was a lot of directing being shouted to the young diver below but whatever it was was never found so I went back to minding other peoples business till lunchtime. Guy from Kaptans that was tried to talk us into the BBQ on Wednesday but not sure so I said we'll see.
When it was time to go zi noticed the boat coming across had got a bit of a sway on it. We'll we got on with another couple and had a Titanic moment as the little boat rolled from side to side. Boy was in glad to get back into the harbour. Staggered off the boat proceeded to climb Everest and got to Yali bar when it was discovered lo and behold that the Grand Prix was on and Lewis Hamilton in the lead. Did I want an Efes we'll is the Pope catholic of course so we sat down with a foaming Efes and watched the end of the race. We won well LH did sound of the national anthem echoing along Kalkansecrets narrow streets and off we went to the green grocers for some tomatoes for breakfast. Half a lire for two beautiful tomatoes and sweatily back up the hill to the apartment. The cleaner had been in and it was lovely. Fresh towels both beach and domestic so we had a shower and decided not to meander too far for dinner. Next door to the Nur is the Omar's kitchen. It has had a face lift and looks lovely one to keep in mind but Cafe Ev was just up the road and we thought we'd go there. Didn't plan on the rugby fly half who was outside I'll call it Omar's because I'm ashamed to say I don't know what the new name is. We went left he went left right and so did he Strictly Come Dancing has nothing on us. So we decided what a good idea it was to go to Omar's. Don't know why we didn't think about it in the first place. There was only us there but we were duly seated offered water and a drink did I want sweet red or dry red? Never had a sweet red but went for the dry and it was delicious. Just the right temperature. I chose the sea bass and prawns in a blue cheese sauce with a lovely salad and Bri had moussaka. They were both delicious and while we were waiting for it to be served we watched the antics of the greeter and the opposing teams coming down the road risking life and limb not to be seduced in. It cost 96l and was really lovely and I was sad that because of some of the antics of the greeters some of the best meals are missed because you feel a bit affronted by them.
We meandered back to the apartment for a brandy and a game of crib . I let Bri win a game I won the other two and we then lay ourselves down on the lovely crisp new clean sheets and went to sleep.

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 09:46:58 AM »
Loving your reports Joycie and great to have another daily fix of Kalkan after Lizilu20, Bob and Jayne and Haybo's  fantastic blogs finished.  You made me laugh about the rugby tackler but sounds like it was worth a few bruises!  Keep up the good work.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 11:15:22 AM »
Another perfect day by the sounds of it joycie.   :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 01:13:35 PM »
Thanks for posting joycie. I think the restaurant you "chose" is Atta..? we never went but heard good things about it.
Oh the things that I have lost between the decking slats at Palm. Flip flops, hairgrips and once my iphone went - still attached to the headphones fortuitously - and I was like a bomb disposal expert trying to guide it gently back up through the gap without it getting detached and plunging to certain extinction.
Yali is a good place to stop - even if the Grand Prix isnt on - when you climb up from the harbour. It perfectly positioned for a comfort (efes) break. We decided to push on a bit further this year and head for Botanik on a couple of those treks and we were glad we did.
Sounds like you are having a lovely relaxing time this year :)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 05:29:42 PM »
I think it might be Ata Mezze Grill.  We like it there...we tend to have our first and last meals there! We found Kalkan to be a small world too! Joycie, i'm in sutton coldfield!  Also, we bumped into the head of internal audit from my work, the deputy head of the snr school my friends are sending their daughter to, and Bob and jayne live pretty close to my family! I think the secret is well and truly out!

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 06:33:40 AM »
Yesterday we bought new hats. It's about time we updated the lovely comfortable pieces that flop into the case and onto our heads mine has a Bon marche label on and Bri has a baseball cap from every corner of the world all we'll worn and sweaty and perfect for throwing in the case. We bought wait for it two very smart trilby looking hats one white one brown. Trouble is yes it does look smart but you have to wear it a certain way you can't just roll over on your sunbed and lie back comfortably it has to be positioned. There's a whole new art in sun hat wearing. Still we do look smart or at least our hats do for the moment.
We had a day testing our sun hats by the pool. Lunch was pizza and wedges from Passaport pizza delivered to our sunbeds by the lovely Omar. We shared a lovely Efes and rolled over and went to sleep.
Where to eat tonight? We meandered down the road and had a drink in lemon garden. Never been in there before and it was nice with a delightful Rottweiler which made us feel at home. When we come home our narrow boat is coming out of the water to be painted and it's the you can rename it if you wish. It's called good boy 3 and I'm still looking for a suitable Turkish version. Any suggestions?
Asian gate was our restaurant of choice and it was lovely. We went Indian although the chinese menu looked delicicious as well. The chicken tikka was to die for we shared a portion of rice had a lovely naan and pop arum between us. Bri had Efes and I had the house red which was lovely. The meal cost 105l and it was lovely best tika I've had. The lady of the house was telling us she comes from northern Cyprus and that her husband is from Pakistan. It was a lovely relaxed atmosphere so I texted Mor to see if they wanted to join us on Saturday for the buffet and she of course replied what do you think? So I booked for Saturday for six for our final meal with Mor and Dave they go home next week but we've still got two to go. SHAME. It will be a bit different to our camp stews when the kids were little and at the end of the holiday we used to open all the tins we'd got left and mix me up together. It was always delicious and the kids still talk about it.
So feeling really contented we climbed the hill back to the Nur apartments and up to the balcony for a brandy and feeling very happy went to bed.

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 11:16:33 AM »
Joycie,

So pleased the sun hats are a hit.Love the lemon Garden and heard great reports about the Asian Gate and will definetly go when we are out in a few weeks time.Sounds like you had a yummie meal there.
Love the reports and look forward to the next instalment.

................................................................................

holiday lettings http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/kalkan/9407

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 09:35:48 PM »
We had a visitor at work today who needed a lift to a train station and before i knew it, i had volunteered! I am so glad i did, cos he had just got back from 2 weeks in Kalkan! We had a fab chat....he was really recommending Kalkan Kebap......need a report folks!

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 10:26:05 PM »
Hi Haybo,

We have been to Kalkan Kebab.......and I will never go back.The service was awful.We walked out without being served...it was that bad.
The staff were not trained at all.Kalkan is renowned for good service and good food and this is the only place in Kalkan that I have walked out on.
 We went back once more on a separate day to try the food........the service was just as bad but I was much more assertive to make sure we were not ignored etc.The food was ok when it came.......not brilliant at all by Kalkan standards........and it was mainly flies that were plaguing us......it is right on the road,but whatever the reason,there were a lot of flies !

Sorry Haybo.......I wish I could be more positive about the place,but I hate it !

If you want me to list all the reasons for walking out I can do !!

holiday lettings http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/kalkan/9407
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 10:33:23 PM by Mayday1 »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Walking in a winter wonderland

Started by M n M on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

5 Replies
Last post March 09, 2009, 01:50:11 PM
by Buster
xx
Our Adventures in Paradise

Started by Agent Ottoman on Holiday Reports and Reviews

36 Replies
Last post June 14, 2013, 11:58:42 AM
by samson
xx
Sally's holiday adventures!

Started by Sallyjane on Holiday Reports and Reviews

16 Replies
Last post September 24, 2014, 08:23:35 PM
by pattaya

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal