Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: It's Grim in Kalkan  (Read 10391 times)

Offline Bez

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
It's Grim in Kalkan
« on: September 25, 2014, 04:49:11 PM »
Hey all,

Every other year my wife and I return to Kalkan for a 2 week stay.

I am delighted to say that we just arrived last night so I thought to start up a holiday report and will update each day.

First things first, we had a bit of an issue with our transfer from Dalaman.  We always book with transfers4u who then arrange a private taxi for us with Diana Travel.  Upon arrival however there was no taxi in sight and they wanted to put us on a 2 hour coach to Fethiye before a mini bus to Kalkan.
NO WAY JOSE
Instead I got a refund and haggled a taxi for a swift transfer.  The speedy journey meant we arrived in time for a late dinner at 10pm. 

After dropping our bags off at Pasha Aparts we strolled to Chillies because so many people seem to like it.  The kebabs were amazing and we agree that they are great value too.

I am a food blogger and my website is www.itsgrimupnorth.co.uk
I will be reviewing all my meals here and doing a special Kalkan food blog when i get back to the UK.
In the meantime I will post on here!

We have spent a relaxing day by the pool and after a siesta (or whatever that is in Turkish!) we are off to town soon.  I have been growing a beard but will enjoy a shave before dinner as that is my holiday treat. .

I think we will try somewhere new tonight and head to the Olive Garden before cocktails by the harbour.

Please do post and recommend places for us to try!

Rgds

Bez

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12413.0

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
Re: It's Grim in Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 05:25:20 PM »
Hi Bez how lovely to hear from you. We returned with heavy hearts yesterday after a wonderful three weeks. We love Chilies too get Mr happy to give you a massage. Without doubt our favourite meals this year were eaten at Asian Zgate right opposite Chilies. We went three times. Have a wonderful time and look forward to hearing from you.

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 05:27:24 PM »
I meant to say our transfers were with Enes and they have never failed us.£55 each way.

Offline Derbyshire

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 05:30:28 PM »
Hi bez our favourite restaurant is fish terrace enjoy your holiday

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 05:46:30 PM »
Lovely to hear from you Bez have a great time!

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 06:21:15 PM »
Hi Bez,look forward to hearing your reports.If you love really yummie,good value home made pizzas then try Foto pizza,just going down the hill, to the Pirat hotel, on the left.......and by the taxi rank.

For us,another "must go to "  place is Alternatif restaurant,to be found down the little hill,opposite Moonlight bar. Their service is second to none and the fillet steak is amazing....such good friendly staff and run by Mustafa,a very larger than life character.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 06:37:22 PM »
Hi Bez, lovely reading your report, and so happy to hear your a Foodie! we are too.  Spoilt for choice for restaurants, but one that we really like is Marina opposite the Pirat Hotel, personally I have had one of the nicest steaks that I have ever eaten in there. We ate in Asian Gate (or Asian Garry as it is known now on here) 3 times too in August, and it was fabulous food, so well worth a try if you like Indian or Chinese food.

Enjoy your holiday and look forward to hearing about your holiday.

Jayne

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 06:49:49 PM »
Hi Bez, so pleased you have taken up joycie's baton so soon - yippee! Have a fab holiday and I'm sure you'll enjoy sampling some of Kalkan's  finest fodder  :) so difficult to recommend just one restaurant as we love so many for differient reasons. If I had to name a few, mussakka, Marina, kaya, Asian Garry, chillies, Hunkar and fener would be high on the list, but not just for the food alone and depends whether it's breakfast, lunch or evening meal too. We also love Adams, fab view and wonderful hospitality, it's a must but we prefer lunching there. I'm sure you will make your own mind up, after all one mans meat is another mans poison as they say!
Looking forward to your next report  :D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 07:03:16 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 06:55:52 PM »
I am also growing a beard.......and it's coming off on Saturday afternoon at Sweeney Todd.

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 07:04:28 PM »
Hi Bez. We arrive with friends on Monday. Will be interested in your views on The Olive Garden we're booked there on our first night. Loving the post;  :)keep them coming but most of all have a great holiday.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 07:13:50 PM »
Oh  and you must try bodamye tepe restaurant in islamlar. Again we prefer lunch as the views are amazing and the road a little hairy after dark!
PW and Janeb - hope you both have fab holiday's too!  8)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 09:02:18 PM »
Hi bez, a food blogger in Kalkan - now, this could be paradise!
Our son, Oli, his girlfiriend Beth plus two friends are there right now. Oli & Beth introduced their friends to Kalkan and it was interesting to hear how their restaurant scene panned out....
While they have been there, it was one of their 21st's and for this they chose Mussakka and had an amazing evening one week ago.They went back for their romoantic evening last night - Fillet Steak in Roquefort Sauce & Chicken Arrabiata.,,,
They seem to have got themslves into bit of a routine sharing lunches & dinners between Cafe Vita & Fenner.  They actually ate at Vita 3 ntimes on the trot, although one of them was a takeaway.
Cafe Ev has been the Thursday ritual before or after the Market, depending on the sugar level.
Their most recent sharing of restuarants was at Kaya two nights ago where apparently it was "their best meal ever" ( a term they had used before a few times already!) Their most popular dish, where 3/4 of them had the same, was dinner at Cafe Vita of Shrimp Casserole and home made chips....
Well there is some food for thought for you - have a fabulous time and keep blogging!!
Steve

Offline Bez

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 10:45:32 PM »
Thank you all for your lovely messages! So nice to hear from you everyone!!
We just got in from a lovely evening so let me fill you in with the night's events...

We strolled down the Kalamar Road and I had a shave just outside the post office.  I feel smooth as a baby's bottom now, as always an amazing experience for less than £5...

After my shave we went for our first Kalkan stroll since 2012 and much has changed.   Well actually not changed but morphed into a more modern version of itself.   Mostly the same restaurants are here with the same guys stood outside but since our last visit these restaurants have spruced themselves up.  Kalamaki and Salt & Pepper are good examples of restaurants looking posher and more upmarket which is nice. 
The other difference is how busy town is.  My wife first came in 2001 and she first  brought me in 2010.  There are so many more people here which gives the place a lively atmosphere but there is a downside.   For the first time, booking restaurants is tricky and the best tables are booked days in advance. Lesson learnt.

We headed up to The Olive Garden at about 8 and the roof terrace was full so we settled in downstairs.  We chose the traditional Turkish tray meal to share which was incredible! 
To start we had the best chicken soup with olive bread. Mmm.  Then they bring loads of plates for main including kofte, kebabs, rice, salad, mezze etc.  So many Turkish goodies and a bit like tapas.   Dessert was chocolate torte for my wife and traditional Turkish donut type balls with chocolate, lemon cake and ice cream for me.  Pig.
A wonderful traditional experience of great food.  Despite the restaurant being busy they looked after us.

After the meal we had a look at the view from the roof terrace and it is the best in Kalkan so we will return next week when my inlaws arrive!  They haven't been to Kalkan since 2001 so they will be in for a shock... in fact, when they came the only restaurant open was Zekis with no rooftop!

We booked a few restaurants for the weekend (Kalamaki looks nice) before getting a taxi back to Pasha (lazy).  Then a mega strong cocktail or 2 at the bar here and a chat with some of the other guests.

I added your recommendations to our list of places to try so THANK YOU!  Keep them coming!
The weather looks rainy on Saturday. .. Any tips what to do for food on a rainy night?

Now time for bed.  Placing bets now as to whether we will get up early enough for brekkie at Fener...

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 07:03:28 AM »
Hi Bez,

Great report.Did you manage to make Fenner for brekkie ? Love Kalkan but it is definetly growing.What was a village is now a small town.

Fortunately,the sheer number of restaurants in Kalkan ( 150 to 200 ) means that you can still dine without booking,but to get the best tables with the best views you do need to book.

However,the best table with the best views and with great value.....................Has to be our front balcony..........unbeatable !!

..................................................................................
holiday lettings http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/kalkan/9407
o direct    http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8154298

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 08:06:55 AM »
Oh I'm so jealous. Try Kosk as well their cheese cake for afters is to die for. Lovely report thank you.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 08:10:37 AM »
Breakfast at Fenner is a classic.....amazing Turkish breakfast with that view of the boats......16 days and counting!!
If it does rain on Saturday then a overly way to send it is holed up in your favourite bar with a good book!m :laugh:
We've had some rainy days when we have visited in October and Mussakkas has a cover which means you are sort of inside but outside......if you see what I mean.....if it looks as if it may be a wet evening book to be sure of a table.

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 08:34:17 AM »
Great report on The Olive Garden. This rates as our favourite restaurant in Kalkan. We always book a few days in advance and get a table at the front of the upstairs terrace. It is nearly always full and as they don't have a greeter at floor level, this speaks volumes. We always recommend this restaurant to other people.

What sells it to me is it is a traditional Turkish restaurant, well priced with excellent service. Whilst I am sure the Indian and Chinese restaurant is good I like eating Turkish food in Turkey and not Asian cuisine which I can eat when at home. It really is each to his own where food is concerned.

Kalkan Meze is always worth a meal or two.

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 09:05:12 AM »
completely agree about Olive Garden, we had a fab meal here earlier this week. its one of our favourites, excellent food, service and value.
Isis

Offline helen1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 08:51:44 PM »
Are you there for one week or two Babs. I arrive with a friend on 18th ( we live in Marden so close to you).

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2014, 08:55:18 PM »
Ah yes Helen....I remember! We arrive on 11 October for 10 nights.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
First time to Kalkan - Family of 3 - recommended restaurants in Kalkan please??

Started by Harrogate_female on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 01:48:16 PM
by howmad
xx
Transfer to Dalaman from Kalkan 24/10/2009 / return Dalaman to Kalkan 9/11

Started by Buster on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 11:23:26 AM
by Buster
xx
New to Kalkan

Started by clrky501 on Introduce Yourself

0 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 11:06:04 PM
by clrky501
xx
Kalkan Gym

Started by rosarioguy on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

1 Replies
Last post August 24, 2015, 07:51:52 PM
by felicity

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal