Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: In, Out.....Shake it all about!  (Read 18524 times)

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: In, Out.....Shake it all about!
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 04:01:43 PM »
apologies for the current Efes yok situation! This might be partially caused by our youngest son who was over in Kalkan last week with half the Sunderland Uni Rugby team..... Additionally eldest son, currently here in Kalkan with myself and Mrs HOBBO, has also developed a like for Efes, previously addicted to coke (as in cola not the white stuff). 8) 8)
I have a very responsible position...
When anything goes wrong I’m responsible!!

www.villa-in-kalkan.co.uk www.gyrapix.co.uk

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2016, 04:31:18 PM »
No efes  :o :o :o

Hope those stocks are replenished soon!

I'm really enjoying your reports K4E. Thanks for keeping my Kalkan addiction topped up and hope the magic anti Kalkankle pills start working soon.  :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2016, 06:30:48 PM »
Forgot to say Lizilu, what nice neighbours in Kalkan you have!!!, bringing you a Cafetiere of coffee each morning  ;D ;D ;D ;D

J

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2016, 10:50:49 PM »
They are truly spoiled aren't they. You'd think the providers of that service could manage a 100 m trip along the road.........

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2016, 08:32:22 PM »
Ha ha Haybo!  ;D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 11:51:58 AM »
So we're out then......

I'm really glad we're over here right now as I think the arguments I've witnessed on social media must be far worse in the workplace and amongst families and friends. The only difference in Kalkan is we are getting less bang for our bucks....the exchange rate falling from 4.2 on Thursday to 3.85 yesterday. Not sure the price of Efes will reduce in sympathy..... :)

Anyway, the most pressing thing right now is my mosquito bites. Why oh why did I mention I was bite free after 8 days...why? Since then, they have grown as fast as my waistline and are looking biblical. I am trying everything and I mean EVERYTHING...but still woke up this morning with another two enormous ones on my arm. How? Why?....I'm fewmin!!!!
And another thing.....I've overdone the Moroccan argan oil hair products this year. Avon selfishly stopped making their hair mask which has served me well for the last few years so I just bought anything and everything that had those three words in the product and as a result I have hair with all the lustre and appeal of hot lettuce.

So with the bites, lank hair and fat feet spilling over my blingy footwear I'm as pretty as a picture right now :laugh:

On Wednesday night we ate at Salonika - I popped down to book earlier in the evening. Would you like a romantic table? Why not! I'm sure it was to hide me away from the other diners...Probably our best meal of the holiday so far, sea bass stuffed with prawns for both of us and a lovely bottle of Sauvignon Blanc and a perfect view of the loveliest street in Kalkan.

Thursday is Market Day, naturally but we just popped up to collect my watch from the lovely watch lady - I'd left it with her the week before as I'd broken it and lost a link when I had a nasty fall last year. They weren't sure they could replace the link but leave it with her. Her husband told me he'd spent 2 hours searching through his workshop for the right link but he managed to find one and for 40tl to repair it, I couldn't have been happier. I bought some Longchamps Totes for Christmas presents and settled on a couple of "Burberry" pashminas before buying the biggest bag of the juiciest freshest cherries for a mere 8TL.

On Thursday night we witnessed something I have never seen before in my life in Kalkan, a couple of grown men fighting :o. We watched in horror from the balcony in Moonlight as two local men wanted to take chunks out of each other, using terracotta pots and a bike helmet as their weapons of choice. The boys from Moonlight jumped in and tried to break them up - which they did momentarily and one of them retreated to Teras, only to return with a mallet and chased his opponent off down the street....quickly followed by everyone else. Later when it seemed to be all over bar the shouting...we asked Muhitdin (who's shirt was splashed with blood) what it was over..."Pot plants" was his reply. Really???

Much later the same evening we popped into Botanik - our first visit of this holiday - and sat chatting with Nam at the bar recounting the street brawl. He turned on his heel and ran...apparently his brother owns Mavi and this appeared to be at the centre of the argument. He came back later and he told us his version of events...and indeed pot plants were to blame in terms of the straw that broke the camels back. One of the two did need hospital treatment but I think for minor injuries. What a carry on....!

Yesterday, we were out with Osman on Yildiz 2. Another perfect day at sea with this lovely family who welcome you like an old friend and always remember your name. The boat sailed out with 11 people, not the 22 it can hold and Yildiz 3 stayed in the harbour. Os told us things were really difficult and the start of the season was as bad as any he could remember - not for the first time we were telling a local business we hoped things would pick up in July and August for them. Over the winter they have installed solar panels on the top decks of both boats and whilst they were a big outlay for them, they we already running the fridges and the cooker from the electricity they generate...what a great idea!

After such a lovely day, with great company, we got a takeaway from Atta and sat on the roof terrace - me sprayed with Off Max to within an inch of my life - and looked across the bay which looked beautiful in the moonlight.

Two weeks gone in a flash.....and already trying to squeeze in all those things we want to do into our last nine days.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 06:29:57 PM »
Great report K4E.  Only 4 sleeps for me now! Have had a bad cough and cold so the normal levels of excitement have been subdued! Sorry to hear about the mozzies.  They love me so it sounds like I am in trouble! Havent had trouble there before. Hope to catch up with you on Sunday evening if you are free.  Will messenger you!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 07:07:20 PM »
We promised ourselves a trip this year...of the organised excursion variety.

In the early years we did all the excursions but it's probably seven years since our last one which was to Meis. After a bit of deliberation we went with Kekova and popped in to see Linda at Abi Travel to book after good reports on here.

As we travelled along the coast towards Kaş and ultimately Ucagiz to catch our boat I took in the wonderful views this journey offers...truly stunning. We're not big fans of Kaş so it's maybe five or six years since we took this route past Kaputas and I feel as though I need to jump on the bus and do this everytime we are here...even if we come straight back.
If Carlsberg did coastal roads....

What a lovely day we had with lovely people and a delicious lunch. Our guide spoke perfect English and recounted the story of Kekova so well, I hung on his every word. Of course Simena is worth the trip on its own and we trekked up to the fort, duly paid our 10tl and were rewarded with even more amazing views. Just time for the famous home made ice cream and a quick swim before we departed. Another perfect day at sea.

On Saturday night we ate in Seaport - which was really quiet but excellent and on Sunday we ate in Cinar. It's not a restaurant that get mentioned much on here but we really enjoyed our meal - a peppered steak and their signature chicken dish - and will definitely return (but maybe not this visit..). Last night we ate at Golden Plate - having promised the owner we would patronise his restaurant when we were going to Seaport. He quickly got his book and next thing you know we had a reservation!!!We were undecided over our steaks so Yusuf our waiter recommended Chateaubriand...of course he would :). It was melt in the mouth delicious and we had so much they needed to parcel it up for BH to take home - also their chips are the proper old fashioned hand-cut variety. Later, after the England debacle, we got chatting to Figo, the owner, and he told us he appreciates everyone's feedback on the Golden Plate name and next week they will be re-naming the restaurant Samdam. It's tough for them as the new boys in town, but they really deserve to succeed - the football aside - it was a lovely evening.

Exhausted from our trip to Kekova, another night in was on the cards. A hot chicken from the deli - they've dropped in price since the exchange rate fell - salad and BH's homemade chips.

Only 6 days left....where oh where has that time gone? As we go home, Haybo arrives so I'll be logging on for my Kalkan fix - no pressure, Haybo and hopefully we'll catch up on Sunday.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 07:13:17 PM by kalkan4eva »

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2016, 08:01:39 PM »
K4E your holiday just goes on and on and sounds fantastic. Hanging onto every word loving your posts. Kekova oh how we love it there too. Did you see any turtles? Have promised that this year my aim is to make it up to the Fort as haven't yet had the energy in the heat! We have booked 3 trips there this year. Excessive or what?? Golden Plate or Samdan is definitely on our list too. Enjoy the rest of your holiday and hopefully look forward to another post or two!  :D Haybo it's your turn now to take up that baton!  :D x
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:03:17 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2016, 08:53:27 PM »
I can't believe you only have six days left....even I think that's gone quick! We've only been to Kekova once, on our first visit so,think we need to make a booking this year.
But tell us K4E, how are the kankles, how many bags have you bought and most importantly have you worn all 8 pairs of sandals?  :laugh:

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2016, 06:04:11 AM »
Oh gosh the pressure is on! As you may recall, I am travelling with a friend, Nat.  She is a mum of 4 boys.  We haven't been away together before, so lets hope it all goes well! Still trying to come up with a name for my blog....we are both on the chubby side so am trying to avoid any reference to 2 fat ladies! Maybe the next few days will inspire me.

So shocked about the Istanbul news.  We are travelling via that airport in August.  Currently worried about UK airports as they have less security on entry.  Nat and I have decided that we won't give in. 

Offline Iwanttobethere

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2016, 06:41:11 AM »
Hi kalkan4eva. We are currently in Kalkan and would love a chicken from the deli. Could you please let us know where the deli is. Thanks

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 06:51:47 AM »
Absolutely awful news from Istanbul...we are praying for the families of those who lost their lives and the injured.

Iwanttobethere, the Deli is almost opposite Lime Bar which is on the way up to Yali Supermarket. The chickens are roasting on a spit oven outside the shop, so you can't miss it. Last week they were 20TL now they are 16TL. Also this shop sells amazing village honey and eggs alongside things like a box of After Eights.

Offline Iwanttobethere

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2016, 07:02:56 AM »
Thank you kalkan4eva. We are staying just up the road from there, so will definitely be going down to buy one and have a look at what else they have to offer.

Offline BeyazGül Apt.

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2016, 07:20:05 AM »
If the deli is the one I think it is with spit roast chicken outside it is 2M Cadde opposite Hunker, Memet the owner will do a delivery if you don't live too far away.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 07:25:23 AM by BeyazGül apt. »

Offline bankieken

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2016, 09:25:22 AM »
He also does a great range of locally produced cheese, butter and olives. opens early in the morning and stays open late.  We arrived in Kalkan after midnight at the end of May and popped in there to get some essentials and ended up buying the cheeses, olives, local butter, eggs etc.

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2016, 09:49:12 AM »
He will also supply and deliver the large water bottles ( 19 litre ) used for water cooling machines

o direct    http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8154298
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 09:50:59 AM by Mayday1 »

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2016, 01:48:20 PM »
We love the chicken shop too! but didn't know they do deliveries.  We bought some lovely cheese from there last year too as well as spit roast chickens which seems to put on the spits around 11am if I remember rightly!

Yes such awful news from Istanbul, our thoughts and prayers are with those poor families.

J&B

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2016, 01:01:50 AM »
News about your ticket!!

Yes I've been here before with Camelot when you used to be able to check your account whilst abroad we spent an afternoon on the town beach, our backs to the sea, picking our villas..plural... after receiving the same email. Then after a couple of glasses of wine from the cool box I made the momentous decision to turn on data roaming and check there and then. We'd won £10 and £10 was spent to retrieve this information :laugh:

So who knows, we might be millionaires or more likely we've won £2.70.

We have continued with our daily walks, you'll be glad to hear, although the calories expended versus consumed is not on the positive side. My Kalkankles and Kalkan Calf Pain have been off the Richter scale this holiday which means we might not have gone as far as we might have liked. Our longest walk was over to Kisla, down to the beach park and back to town...that probably did me in! We've not managed the new road or down (and back) to Kalamar Bay on account of my whining...that worked then :) Nonetheless we've continued to walk...me dragging my substantial tree-trunk legs behind me... >:(

On Wednesday I woke up determined to master the air con in our bedroom, armed with You Tube and Google. Last year we had set it to keep the room at an ambient temperature and it would turn itself off and on throughout the night, which was fine. Now one off us is dithering or one of us is sweating...no happy medium. After pressing all the buttons randomly it eventually worked. Hoorah! Except it hadn't, we discovered, switched itself off because of the temperature, the power had gone off. A quick inspection from the roof terrace revealed two men standing over a junction box pulling wires like their lives depended on it right next to the Asiyan Hotel. Oh well shall we go bag shopping then?

We took ourselves off into town, stopping at my favourite tea-stop the Old Town Cafe. Bags were purchased as follows. Three Chanel clutch bags in the BSG Sale that worked out at £28 each....yes really! A Size 7 Longchamps and an overnight Longchamps all at BSG. A Longchamps Man bag - I kid you not - and a Longchamps back pack both from Chic (not Simply Chic, there is a difference..). Do you think I went a bit Longchamps crazy...? One more bag to buy from Nuri - just undecided as yet which one, but I think I'm swaying towards a Miss Dior mini in the softest grey suede. We have certainly spread the love this year..... :-*

Back at the ranch, still no power....so I saw this as as my opportunity to get a pedicure. I've been leaving it as long as I could but it was now or never. Off to Jasmine on Kalamar Road where my horrible feet were pummelled and scraped into buff beautiful. I left the salon, walking on air and into signposts because I couldn't take my eyes off my feet...were they really mine :o? Ladies, I ask the question, is this the best 40tl you can spend in Kalkan? I got back to HanInn and BH said..."Hmmm, they look ok". There was a man there having the same thing (minus the nail polish...) I said. No, not Turkish...but not British either...European (that word!). Book me in said BH! First bags, now pedicures......what is the world coming to?

So since my last post we have been to the market for our last bits and Turkish Delight - does anything weigh as much as Turkish Delight?? And a fond farewell to BL and Mrs Lizard, always lovely to catch up with them. We spent the day at the Town Beach - the cafe is STILL not open...maybe tomorrow! We've been hearing "maybe tomorrow" for three weeks solid! I can't help thinking if this was a private concern it would have been open weeks ago  >:( Mehmet from Sofra was "helping out"....wouldn't be surprised if this isn't his permanent position come Peak season. Love that guy! We also spent a day at Patatra, our first for a few years. You have to be in awe of this wonderful unspoilt beach - a truly spectacular site - and the first time we had seen the fully restored Assembly House. Wow!!! One of Turkey's most beautiful beaches and fabulous ruins within walking distance....does it really get much better than this?

Of an evening we have eaten at Ata Grill (basic but lovely and a good price) Coriander (love this place, for food and wonderfully polite and gracious staff - also a great price) and Kosk. We had a perfectly good meal at Kosk but there was a mix-up with the bill at the end, or rather what they thought we had left as a tip.....all a bit embarrassing and took the shine off our meal....no offer of anything complimentary even after the mix up....it was disappointing.

Tonight we had booked our favourite table in Gourmet, our first visit of the holiday, and we were really looking forward to it. However, we arrived to be told the table we had booked was no longer available but they had another "just as good". I could see no-one was sitting at the table, and I was adamant we wanted what we had booked - which had been available when we made our reservation. The greeter wasn't for budging so we made our choice to leave...shame really as we have patronised this restaurant since it opened and Sakir's cooking from his time with Omer at Gironda. We double backed and went into Baharat - on our list but we thought we wouldn't get the opportunity to go this visit. We are soooohhh glad we did and enjoyed one of our best meals of this stay...perfect service and a great price. We won't leave it as long again to come back here....but perhaps Gourmet is off our list for the time being :(.

Our last full day and night beckons.....and I feel so sad that our time is almost over here for 2016. Although if Camelot really does have "news" about my ticket, we could be back sooner than anticipated. Anyone know of flights for £2.70...??
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 08:24:44 AM by kalkan4eva »

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2016, 01:18:18 PM »
Noooooooo!!!  :o

This cannot be the end. Have you really come to the end of your holiday K4E? I kid you not, your 3 and a bit weeks in Kalkan has disappeared faster than the cash in my OH's wallet when I'm the duty free perfume counter!

I've loved hearing all about your (mis) adventures  ;) and I'm not quite ready to let you go home without another summing up report so fingers crossed.

Hope that the security was good at Dalaman and that the queue's weren't too lengthy and most of all I hope that the news about your winnings from Camelot was worth waiting for!

Safe journey home to you both and many thanks for the witty, informative and thoroughly enjoyable reports.  :)  :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 01:35:58 PM by Lizilu20 »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Mosque

Views: 2420
By: Pompeyalbie
Omars 20/9/07