Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: In, Out.....Shake it all about!  (Read 18514 times)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
In, Out.....Shake it all about!
« on: June 12, 2016, 05:24:04 PM »
Well, we duly posted our referendum votes, one in, one out, and took a welcome break from the playground squabbling that we have witnessed over the past few weeks as the two camps fight it out...and where better to be whilst the country decides?

To be honest, the lead up to this year's visit has been a tad stressful. First there was Monarch cancelling flights left right and centre, our Turkish owner selling up and the uncertainty around our accommodation this year, not to mention the bag we have left with him for the past six seasons...would it be there? Third hand messages, no wifi, no cleaners, and to top it all a pretty eye watering price increase. We set out for Manchester Airport with a little intrepedation instead of the usual excitement.

I needn't have worried. Monarch's pre-flight customer services leave a lot to be desired but their flight was excellent. One of the best we've had for years, super friendly crew and a female pilot who landed at Dalaman with aplomb. We were the only flight landing at internationals on a Saturday lunchtime.....I couldn't believe it. We were out of the airport in 20 mins - and that included a Duty Free stop. As we rounded the corner and saw Kalkan in all its glory in brilliant sunshine, I shed a tear....probably a bit of relief or the menopause - you call it!

Key in the door as usual, still no wi-if, no bag but a spotlessly clean home for the next 24 days...let's relax. Sadly no, as we unpacked BH realised he'd left his iPad on the plane. We'll call...oh no wi-fi to use good old Google for telephone numbers, so we went retro and called one of our Turksih friends. He dropped everything and came over. A few phone calls later the iPad (and his glasses) had been located having been handed over to the airport when the plane was cleaned....I say it not for the first time...only in Turkey. So we have an impromptu trip to Dalaman one day this week, but it could be worse. Also, I need to add he has form...having left his passport in Customs in Mexico a few years back...another unscheduled trip to an airport before you actually need to be there ::)

Miss Marple and Poirot then set off on a mission to scour the grounds at HanInn and eventually found our bag...but not our water hammock :(. Oh well it's given us five seasons of service and I hope whoever has it gets as much pleasure from as we have had over the years. So long old friend.....

Last night, after iPadgate and our amateur sleuthing we showered in cold water (boiler was fixed today) and set off into town intending to have a couple drinks and something to eat. We met with some friends, had drinks and ended up watching England - only wish we hadn't stayed to the end... Spicy lentil and chilli eggs in the Soup Kitchen followed lots of vodkas and too little sleep (not a good combo in anyone's book) and I reminded BH we did exactly the same last year - it's our new first night! I'm not sure if it's a tradition I want to repeat year on year.

Today we went on a fairly tame walk down to look at the Harbour and called in to confirm our Yildiz 2 booking with Osman. Good to see Yildiz 3 back out of dry dock and ready for business. It didn't look as though many boats were preparing to leave the harbour this morning...  :( The Harbour looks a million times better than last year, and I think they've done a really good job - although it's not finished yet I think it will eventually look great. We were happy to see the return of the chairs at Jimmys and Kleo's and Seaport open for business - a couple of the units aren't taken yet, but it's a difficult year for everyone.

We've just had our fabulous Turkish Baths at Atlantis and now I feel Kalkan ready....definitely ready to shake it all about.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13362.0
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: In, Out.....Shake it all about!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 08:36:44 PM »
Thanks for letting us know you have arrived.  Must have been a pani9 over the mislaid iPad. Look forward to hearing your take on Kalkan to see how different it is now we are home.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 07:03:58 AM »
You get right on shaking girly!  :laugh: I look forward to the next instalment!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 07:55:20 AM »
Aww K4E what a lovely first report, i've just read it and brightened up my day already. Sorry about the Ipad but glad you've located it. Couldn't you maybe ask one of the lovely transfer companies to pick it up for you? Looking forward to sharing your holiday. 24 days wow  :) Have fun x
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 07:57:26 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 06:02:28 PM »
I was only thinking this morning that you must be out there already! Love it that the Haybo's arent the only family that has drama wherever they go!

Looking forward to next installment!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 08:27:11 PM »
So glad you arrived safe and sound albeit minus BH's iPad and specs.  What a shame your 'Walter's'  gone walkabout but I'm sure it could have been worse - the bag might have gone walkabout too.  :(
Good advice from Jayne re asking one of the transfer companies to help you. Either that or maybe making a day of it and having lunch in gocek or fethiye and turn it into an adventure.  :)
Only in my dreams (or retirement) could I imagine nearly 4 weeks in kalkan ! Lucky you, I'm sure you'll have a fab time now the teething trouble's are over with. 

I'm hanging on to your every word so shake it up, shake it up, then be sure to report back!  :) 8)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 12:05:17 PM »
Unusually for Kalkan in June, today it is raining. Not just a passing shower but full on rain, great big raindrops and thick black clouds overhead. Now and then the sun tries to force its way through, but after a bit of effort it just gives up. Accuweather called it right and the locals are just as accurate.

So Sunday night we didn't wander too far from the homestead and called in to see Dimitris at Lime. We didn't intend to stay but we got comfortable and ordered food. Two stuffed chickens and probably too many margaritas later we were calling it a night. Dimitris remarked "You are not like a married couple because you talk to each other the whole time..." She's only nagging me..came BH's reply and I am only saying "yes, dear!" Because that's the key to a happy marriage :P Lime is not the cheapest place in town and it doesn't have great views to be fair but it does have a warm welcome and good cocktails (no frippery..)

Yesterday, we set off on our walk through Ortaalan and over to Kalamar. This area has really developed over the past 5 years, with new builds spreading like a rash below the D400. There are some super duper villas up there now - sadly none of them looked occupied.
I don't know where Ortaalan ends and Kalamar begins high above the Kalamar Road. I used to think it was at Saneil which was once the highest building in the area....but I'm not entirely sure. We wound our way down to Ekinhan and had a little nosey in Yelken Bistro - getting ready to open for breakfast but they still invited us in. This area of Kalamar and has become like a mini village, with lots of nice little bars, restaurants and a couple of supermarkets. There's really no need to go into the village every night if you are staying in Kalamar any more - there's lots on offer. As we head along Kalamar Road we came across an unusual place that looked like an outdoor play area for children but that also housed a cafe area....we were attracted by the big stuffed tiger that hangs by the entrance. It is certainly different :laugh:

We are spending our days doing naff all right now...although we are undertaking extensive research for next year's accommodation from the roof terrace at HanInn.

Last night we had pre-dinner drinks in Moonlight and ate in Mussakka. First steaks of the holiday and boy were they good. Surf and Turf for BH, Summer steak for me - such creatures of habit - with three glasses of wine, water, obligatory side order of chips and complementary liqueurs the bill came to 208 TL. Mussakka show their prices in sterling, which I think is a good thing. Where in the UK would you get fillet steaks for £20? Let alone the view...? I think Mehmet has made the right choice to stay in the old Odak, the restaurant was full and there were people waiting to be seated after 9pm...no one outside pulling you in. He just doesn't need it...good to know he's doing well.

So with the miserable weather we took ourselves off to visit a couple of the possible places to stay next year. One up by the Otogar and one right in town. Still a few more on our list, but both were great. We walked into the village and I did a bit more research....bag research, of course. It would be rude not to. I had wanted to try the Old Town Hotel Cafe since I read on social media they also sell gluten free cakes....to a coeliac, that's like a lottery win :). Unfortunately no GF cake today, but the offer to make some especially if I give them the heads up next time we are planning to visit. Their green tea was jolly good and the place was packed out. I think this is a really nice addition to this lovely little street - which has to be Kalkan's prettiest by far.

Nothing left to do today but carry on with the first of my 7....yes 7...books. I am reading The Lie by CL Taylor, not really got going just yet but I'm hopeful.

No shaking it about is on today's agenda...which given the indulgences of our first three days, isn't such a bad thing.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 02:18:18 PM by kalkan4eva »

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 01:40:53 PM »
Great post K4E,

The unusual place you mention is very different,if not a little weird............It is owned and run by Enes tours,on the kalamar road......they are a fantastic tour / transfer / car hire company and personally they should stick to what they do best .....i would be surprised if they get much custom..........but hey,its different so each to their own

If you drive into their Enes tours carpark,you will find a little cordoned off area with sand,miniature sunbeds with plastic babies on them sunbathing.......i kid you not !! Today,they will need umbrella's i think.

I agree that mussaka is great and a good decision to stay at the old Odak site.

I love Old town cafe........with their lovely cakes......
...............................................................................................

o direct    http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8154298
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:43:07 PM by Mayday1 »

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 08:14:48 AM »
Another fab report K4E and glad that the bag research is being done!  Looking at the forcast it looks like full sun and hot for the rest of the week again.  Enjoy!  :D :D :D

Jx

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 02:58:31 PM »
So iPadgate rumbled on for a few days.

Our Turkish friend who had undertaken all the phone calls for us when we arrived (6 days ago...can you believe 6 days have already passed..?) was talking to both his cousin who is a transfer driver who happened to be a Dalaman and the man who looks after things left on planes I presume. Lots of shouting - why do Turksih men sound so angry when they talk on the phone - and hand gestures. Could his cousin collect the iPad as he is there now, man who looks after lost iPads says "No", the owner must come with his passport and boarding pass to collect it.

Our friend says he will sort out hire car - good cheap price - and promises to call tomorrow.  A few days pass and BH calls our friend...it's ok, he's spoken with the boss of the man who looks after lost iPads and now if we can send a photocopy of his passport (we have one of those...see earlier post about BH losing his passport), boarding card and a letter authorising someone else to collect it. Within 24 hrs, the iPad and glasses were in BH's hands - none the worse for their experience :). I was as happy as BH as the sharing of the iPad was becoming an issue - just a small one - but an issue nonetheless.
I was kind of sad not to be going to Dalaman after all as I had already planned our day in Goceck...BH was just relieved not to be facing the drive.

We seem to be spending a lot of time visiting potential rentals for next year. To date we have visited 7 and still have 5 more to view. There is one that remains our favourite but I want to look at them all before making our choice - I will then get back to all the owners who have been so helpful and accommodating in arranging viewings for us.

Today it feels as though someone has just turned the heat up on the thermostat...it's been perfect June weather - rainy day apart - until today and now it feels like August. Boy it's hot! We went up to the market early - some of the stalls were still setting up - but we got around all those we wanted to and had an apple tea or two, stocked up on spices, cheese and nuts....oh and the blag DVD's of course. Checked out the Longchamps bags on Chic bag shop's stall on the market. Same price as last year and the same quality too. Some nice "Burberry" pashminas on offer this year. The Chanel ones are a bit too loud for my liking and I have my fill of Louis Vuitton ones in more colours than you can shake a stick at....apparently :P. So I may start to collect "Burberry" ones with the same fervour.

Last night we ate at Alternatif - in their new home above Utopia.

*Confession Time*

In all our years of coming to Kalkan we have never eaten at Alternatif. There used to be two...well one was called Alternative...I was never sure which one people raved about so we didn't go to either. After last night, I am left in no doubt which is the one people raved about. Wow! Our steaks were fabulous - a Chef's Special and an Alternatif Steak.. we were blown away by the food and the service here.
It's good to get a "first" when you've been coming here a while - we were so glad we stopped for the greeter and gave this place a go.

Today's walk, post market, post viewing number 7, was over to Komurluk. I love this part of Kalkan so much with its breathtaking views and late, late sun. We had a wonder around the new villas built by Halil during the winter - most of which are still for sale. You can't get a cigarette paper between some of these beautiful villas here - especially those in the middle near the steps - but it's a really stunning area of Kalkan to either own or stay in.

With England V Wales on everywhere today and ours being a mixed marriage, we decided to eat in - a 20tl chicken from the Deli (a decent size they are too, this year..) some fabulous fresh green beans and new potatoes. We might wander down to the old town later....why..? Because we can :laugh:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 04:15:11 PM by kalkan4eva »

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 04:52:03 PM »
Hi K4E,

Fab report again.I agree that Komurluk is a great place to stay for all the reasons you mention and although so peaceful is not too far to walk to Kalkan on the " service road " which is flat and level.

Hallit is building apartments next to our block ( Komurluk apartments )......I know he knocked down the old Allegra hotel and rebuilt new apartments there...next door to villa Gemma Lycia....not sure of his latest villa construction but he has built around 3/4 of all the stunning villas around Komurluk.

He is also constructing a fantastic large new beach club located to the right of Palm beach club ( if viewing from the sea ).....ie between Palm beach and Parara Prince pool...........so we are going to be really spoilt for beach clubs,in Komurluk.....Palm beach ( 150 metres directly in front of our apartment ),the new Komurluk club,Patara Prince club,Mahal beach club ,all within a few 100 yards.....and of course Kalkan beach park as well.

K4E,i remember you saying you may have stayed at one or two apartments in our block......do you remember the apartment names...to see if i am in the same block.Would you consider staying at our apartment for 2017.....shameless request i know,but if you dont ask etc etc !!.........o direct    http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8154298

We love Alternatif,above Utopia...Had Alternatif steak in May...It really is fantastic quality.....and we know Mustafa,the owner very well.He is such a larger  than life character.He runs a very successful property company and has done a fab job for replacing all patio doors and extending our front balconies.Mustafa brother,Ayhan,owns and runs Sade restaurant.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 04:53:51 PM by Mayday1 »

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 07:48:51 AM »
Loving your reports K4E, glad that OH has been reunited with his Ipad, and hope that you have your Bag shopping sorted now or at least chosen ready to part with your TL!!

We hadn't eaten in Alternatif until last year, and had an amazing Chateaubriand, which we pre-ordered, with some amazing home cooked chips I seem to remember  :D :D.

J

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 08:40:24 PM »
Excellent to hear that the walks are taking place......I wlove never if they'll keep up your whole holiday!
Bag and pashmina research......excellent traditional Kalkan pastimes!  :laugh:

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2016, 11:27:25 AM »
You know what comes after pride don't you...? A fall!

Not a physical one you will be glad to hear, although I've had a few near misses in the last few days. So seven days in and I was boasting to BH not a single bite...whilst he is sporting several whoppers. See the vitamin B1 that I now take all year round has paid off...Meanwhile BH has fashioned some of those home-made mosquito traps using empty lemonade bottles, sugar and yeast in a bid to halt the assault. I suppose I was asking for it really...putting a giant Mosquito target on my head because I woke up yesterday with 5 bites...all on one leg >:( Three bites form a crescent shape and with a mole to the left of it, I'm chanelling my very own Turkish flag. We have seen the Mozzie Busters out and about most days and I don't think the problem is as bad as previous years...certainly a week in and no bites is very unusual for me.

My Fitbit died...
This will mean nothing to most people but its a step tracker that also does a few other things. I have been obsessed with getting my 10,000 daily steps in since I got it last year and couldn't wait to see just how many steps we get through with our walks, our million trips to the supermarkets and walking back and to from town. Then the blummin thing packed in....! The helpful customer support people in America were very quick to get back to me.
Is it ticking...? Yes. Ah well it's died but we can send you another one.
I'm not in UK at the moment.
That's ok we can Fed Ex it to most places in the world.
I'm in Turkey. Erm sorry...not Turkey :'(
So I am fibitless for the rest of our stay..I've dropped off the leader board and my Fitbit friends tell me I'm now an "inactive friend"....!

Inactive couldn't be further from the truth...we've really been getting around these last few days. Yesterday we took a "stroll" up the hill between Kalkan and Kalamar where building work is underway to develop this area of unspoilt greenery into villas and a hotel. We had gone up last year and the road just came to a halt at the top, nothing much had been done except build the track. Now trenches have been dug out and the hillside has been carved into different levels and numbers are up in preparation of the villas being built and obviously sold off plan. Whilst we were there Halit was showing some people around - they jumped in a car to go back down - he waved to us from the distance but then as he tried to pull up the track the car couldn't get any purchase on the unmade road and he started to roll back. The wheels on his vehicle frantically turning whilst all the time they were edging closer to the drop. We felt powerless, it was like watching something in slow motion...Eventually he let it roll back as far as he could go and down the track he must have some from. It gave him a better run at it and off they went...as he passed us he gave us the thumbs up. Maybe that happens every time and it's something he's used to...I really had visions of that car and its occupants going over the edge :o :o

Today we walked over to Komurluk to look at a couple more possible rentals. We met with Mustafa at the beautiful Mahmut Salvari Suites - these have one of the best views I have ever seen in Kalkan. Mustafa was absolutely charming and these apartments are just stunning. We are after a roof terrace, but he doesn't rent the top floors out - his sister has one and he lives and works from the other....such a shame as these are really fabulous. We decided to have a look at the new beach club Halit is building over in Komurluk - and it does look fantastic. It's about as close to Patara Prince as you can get, lots of levels and a decent size swimming pool - such a great idea for a beach club - I don't know why it's not been done before. They just didn't get it finished in time for this season, sadly, but we will definitely be giving it a go next year. Who knows Babs...we might like the same subbed here too :)

Last night we ate at Paprika...another fabulous meal. Complimentary meze, puffy bread,  Chateaubriand, a beer, a glass of wine, a margarita and liqueurs on the house. 185tl!!! That's practically giving it away. It's 4.10tl to the £ right now. From the street view seat in Paprika we could see things are picking up...more people are walking through the village, more restaurants and bars are occupied - let's hope it's turned a corner.

We still have a few places to look at - Mayday1, I've sent you a PM - for next year's stay, hardly surprising with so many lovely places on offer we haven't made a decision...!

We don't have plans for tonight...just going to amble into the village after sundowners on the roof terrace and see where the night takes us. That's what I love about Kalkan...we know wherever we go we will eat well and be warmly welcomed....and we still have just over two weeks left - how lucky are we :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 11:33:03 AM by kalkan4eva »

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2016, 03:48:15 PM »
Very interested to hear about a new beach club although I couldn't see us using a pool when the beautiful sea is so close.......but as I expect it will be beautiful will,definitely be checking it out in the future.
I am interested in your search for next year's accommodation.....has made me realise how simple our needs are for a Kalkan holiday, as we take them now. Currently we have one holiday of about 10 days in Kalkan each year. When there are just the two of us we tend to have a nice little routine......up, walk, breakfast, day on beach, Patara, or boat trip, happy hour, shower, out, eat, sleep! We actually spend very little time at our accommodation so our requirements are, convenient for town/harbour, spotlessly clean, view, wifi. I suspect when we are able to have longer holidays our requirements will change, but for now simple and clean suits us fine.
Look forward to hearing more of your adventures.....hope you win the battle against the mozzies!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 03:50:41 PM »
Just catching up on EK, and another fab report K4E, but so sorry about the mozzies and your Fitbit! I have A Fitbit and am also obsessed with keeping up with my 10,000 steps daily! Do you think it is the heat that has made it go on the blink? I can't wait to use mine in Kalkan, and see how many steps it registers going up and down those hills next month! one thing is for sure will have to remember to take it off when launching myself into the sea!

Paprika sounds good, another one we haven't yet tried, so may be putting that on the list this year.  Look forward to reading where your amble took you to last night!

Good luck with your accommodation hunting for next year too  :D

J

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 06:52:51 PM »
Yes another fab report, thank you K4E.

I believe the weather is hotting up in Kalkan now and as always I admire your exercise levels. Must be hard to trudge up hill and down dale in the 40 degree heat. Something I'm not looking forward to in August and such a shame about your fitbit and the unwanted mozzie bites.  >:( They are tenacious little blighters and will always find a way to sneak through the DEET, B1, Skin so soft, marmite and homemade traps etc. etc.  that we all try to put in place to repel them. Glad to hear that they are spraying again and until they heal - wear your Turkish flag with pride.  ;D

Good luck with the apartment hunting, I believe Kormurluk has marvellous sunsets and as I recall you've stayed there before. Would be perfect with a roof terrace to enjoy those sundowners. It's somewhere we've considered for those stunning sunsets but the pulll of a fresh cafetiere of coffee made by our lovely neighbours is too strong at the mo.  ;D

Paprika sounds good, again it's going on the never ending to do list. To be honest I never want that list to come to an end. I love discovering new things to see and do in Kalkan.

Keep shaking it all about and more importantly, telling us all about it.  ;) :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 11:04:57 AM »
Can't say we're doing much shaking it about right now....

Lot's of flopping about and waning under the heat right now! Where did this weather spring from? It's as hot as I've ever known it in Kalkan and we've spent a few August's here over the years. It's so hot it's melted my shellac and my LVL lashes have disintegrated  :(

I'm not sure if it's the heat...even BH had Kalkankles yesterday!

So here's the dilemma...are Kalkankles a product of thightening calf muscles or do the thick ankles cause the pain in your calf..? As sure as night follows day, Kalkan Calf Pain and Kalkankles are like a tag team. As soon as I felt that pain and my muscles went as tight as two coats of paint the Kalkankes were there...just there! The fat feet pills are not really shifting them and when I put my blingy sandals on of an evening I resemble one of the ugly sisters trying to force her foot into cinderallas dainty glass slipper. It's not a look I aspire to....

We've eaten in a few nights and have also eaten out at Sedat's new Teras restaurant and Marina. For the record, Teras has the same menu, same chef and some of the old staff from Sofra but the place has had a fabulous make-over (which it needed, to be fair...)The balcony has been replaced with a glass one and it makes that view from there even more special...I didn't think that was possible. We miss cheeky Mehmet, but we are pleased he is well and happy.

Monday we went to Palm Beach...as early as you like, and we arrived to find some interlopers on mine and Bab's sun beds :o :o. For a minute or so the axis shifted on the world whilst I tried to find another bed that might be a close second...eventually after trying out maybe 5 or 6, I settled on one. I might have tried more but BH was getting grumpy in the heat - yes even at 9am the heat was intense. After lunch we moved down to the beach area and I think this might be my new favourite place. We pulled the beds into the sea and it was the coolest (as in not hot...) we'd felt all day. Still managed my Long Island Iced Teas from this new position..versatility is my middle name :)

Tuesday we trekked up to the Otogar for the 07.40 bus to Fethiye. I really enjoy the bus trip - such a mix of Turkish culture on the bus and every trip is different. "Pay on the bus" said the man in the ticket office where we have always bought our tickets. We duly did, but didn't get a ticket. I love the road up to Akbel and on to Yesilkoy, makes me so nostalgic. The bus stops at official stops and just about anywhere else up to Kinik. Kinik is a BIG stop, the driver gets off, chews the fat, maybe has a fag then gets back on and takes the fares of all those he's picked up since Kalkan. Kinik looks like a proper farming town with its long rows of greenhouses bursting with ripe tomatoes - they seem to go on for ever and then you look up and see the ancient ruins of Xanthos. How wonderful! From Kinik it's non-stop to Fethiye.

If you think Kalkan is quiet, then Fethiye is even more so. We were early, had some breakfast and strolled around the market in less than 15 mins, some empty spaces were there used to be stalls (never have I seen this ...). We have done the Market in Fethiye at this time for a number of years and I can't remember it being this empty :( We strolled along the harbour, stopping for a fresh orange and some shade before we reached the old town. In the first bag shop we came to I saw a beautiful Chanel bag in boucle - all colours available - a really first class copy but he wouldn't come down to under £200. It would take up the entire bag fund and as much as I loved it, I didn't buy...! I've not seen anything as good as that in Kalkan, sadly.

Another pit stop and the waitress asked us if we knew anyone who would take a kitten. Four of the tiniest, ginger kittens hiding out under the stairs at their bar - I wanted to cry. She didn't want to hand them over to the Belidiye as she said they would be destroyed. I hope she finds loving homes for the poor mites :'(

On to the Fish Market for a late lunch. A huge sea bass - the size of a small whale - to share and over to Mercan for our salad, bread (for BH obvs..) and chips. We asked for it to be filleted and it came beautifully cooked and boneless - with a bottle of Angora to accompany the meal. We asked for a Sauvignon Blanc but the waiter came back and said they only had Angora....a real sign of the times. Even the Fish Market was empty...and we baked like a couple of kippers under the canvas.

We did a bit more shopping and headed back for the bus. As much as I loved the journey out, I hated the journey back. BH is like a human furnace and they appear to have some sort of floor heating on the bus so I just melted into my feet which I could feel physically growing by the minute. I got off that bus like I'd lost the use of my lower limbs - well I had temporarily as they were so chubby any kind of movement was an ordeal. I looked up and saw BH's Kalkankles in all their glory and laughed out loud ;D

We were exhausted after our long day in Fethiye and I was pretty sure none of my sandals would fit without cutting off all the straps, so we thought we'd have another night in....BH popped into Yali for some Efes to wash down the steak salad we were planning to eat. We looked at the empty fridges...along with another shopper and stared in disbelief. No Efes.... "Efes is finished" said the shop assistant.

When have you ever heard that phrase in Kalkan....?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:44:50 PM by kalkan4eva »

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 05:16:45 PM »
No Efes? Kalkles....male and female? And someone on our sunbed at 9am.......what is the world coming to?
Throw away the bling and resort to flip flops......can always get them on. Change supermarkets and hoorah......you've found a new favourite sunbed! Just as well as if we ever overlapped it could get ugly!  ;D

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 01:58:20 PM »
Another brilliant post K4E, but not the Kalkankles! hope your both feeling better today. Definitely resort to flip flops I think! and no Efes!! What???  :(

J

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal