Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: If Anything Can....Kalkan Can!!  (Read 28436 times)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: If Anything Can....Kalkan Can!!
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2015, 11:21:05 AM »
Keith you're doing a fantastic job and I feel like I can see that moon with you too.  I will be doing my last installment later today and then it's all yours.  :) :) 8)  I'm really enjoying your reports, especially now I'm back home.  :'( Seaport sounds lovely, unfortunately it's on next years to do list now.

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2015, 11:37:46 AM »
We are going to try it when we are over next week.  :) :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2015, 04:26:05 PM »
Keith you are doing an amazing job, and please please keep the flag flying! loving your reports as I am sure is everyone else.  As I read your post about the moon, I know exactly what you mean, I found myself looking through my photos on my phone, because that is the last photo we took of the moon over the bay on Sunday evening as we walked back to the apartment after dinner to await our airport transfer.  I wished I could work out how to post it on here for you to see.  Enjoy the rest of your holiday with your family, and thank you once again for your posts.  :D :D :D

Jayne

PS. Looking forward to that final instalment Lizzie!

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2015, 06:10:21 PM »
You're the man now keith.....no pressure! You are doing a fab job.....the moon has been pretty special here too...no scenery or temperatures to match tho!

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2015, 11:31:09 AM »
Having eaten our full at Paprika we meander up through the town and take a seat at Bezirgan's. Tracey has suddenly acquired a taste for gin and tonics on this trip and we all sit and enjoy a thirst quenching tipple. We love watching the children plying their trade and the barbers little Pug dog that we first saw as a puppy last year. It fights well above its weight and if a street dog approaches his territory (no matter how big) he quickly chases them away.
Stomachs full and feeling cooler we head back to the sanctuary of the villa's roof terrace. There is a refreshing sea breeze this evening and we sit and admire the ever changing scenery. We see our first shooting star and are treated to a short but colourful fireworks display from the sea wall. This is the perfect end to a lovely relaxing evening.
I wake early next morning (Wednesday) and after a shower and a couple of cups of Kenco decide that I will embark on an exploratory expedition. There are so many different things to see and places to explore and I set off heading towards the Kalkan Regency. We stayed near there last year and wanted to see how easy a walk it would be from our villa. As I walked along I came across the Asfiya Seaview hotel........could this be the place that others have enthused about in their daily blogs?
As I am looking at the menu the receptionist comes out to say hello and invites me to have a look around. I follow him down to the pool terrace and bar and notice the luxurious sun loungers and their deep padded cushions. This must be the place that others have described. He explains that they have live music this evening and offers me a booking. I am interested but don't want to commit without first discussing with Tracey and Luke. I continue on my way and head down to Yali beach club passing a number of well appointed villa's and apartments on the way. I haven't seen this part of Kalkan before and am quite impressed. Eventually I return to villa Kamelya and relay my findings.......decision made .....we will book a table at Asfiya for this evening.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2015, 03:18:24 PM »
Well Keith, you are definitely keeping that flag flying!!! and yes you are right, the Asfiya it was, that we spent quite a few days, just Bob and I, and then with the gang when they arrived, and then Katie when she arrived.  Bob and I went to dinner on our second week when they had live music and it was a really memorable evening, our only regret was that we didn't repeat it. The food, music and whole atmosphere was wonderful.   I hope that you enjoyed it as much as we did. 

Look forward to reading your next instalment.   :D :D

Jayne
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 06:14:01 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2015, 03:55:02 PM »
Well done Keith, some great posts and new places to try when we are over there next week!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2015, 04:53:51 PM »
Yes that's indeed the same one Keith. I'm sorry we never made it to the Wednesday live music night but we certainly made up for it during the day. I've been on a vaccine update course today and when lunch was served I had to bite my tongue as I almost asked for the cocktail of the day!  ;D thanks for keeping the reports going and for your kind words.  :)

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2015, 07:30:37 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;DThat would have gone down well Lizzie!!! I suppose it's flu vaccine time again. Ouch!!! Sxxx

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2015, 09:40:58 PM »
Just catching up up on the forum after a hectic week and bank holiday weekend. Loving your reports Keith keep them coming. Your holiday is very much like ours with lots of relaxing, good food and drink. :) :) Hope your evening at Asfiya went well?

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2015, 11:47:14 AM »
Thoroughly enjoyable night at Asfiya with yet another fabulous view of Kalkan. We decided to have pre-dinner cocktails for a change (see we can be adventurous and stray from our usual routine) before settling down at our table for dinner. The menu has an Italian biaise, although they also serve Turkish food, and I have to say that we all savoured  the opportunity to try something different. The complimentary starter was made all the more of an experience as they provide a mini barbeque for toasting the bread. It definitely added something extra to our dining experience. The live music added to the ambience as the two singers serenaded us with classical romantic songs and even Luke confessed to enjoying them. The staff were very friendly and we enjoyed some banter. Evening over we retired to the villa for a nice bottle of wine on the roof terrace.
Not to be outdone tonight we were treated  to a salvo (well three) distress flares being launched from Kormuluk. Not quite the same effect as the pyrotechnics of the previous evening.
The following morning, as we were relaxing by the pool, the owner of Sunset restaurant invaded our privacy by brazenly walking in and touting for business. We had a similar experience 7 years ago and I had vowed that we would never go back to his restaurant even though we had enjoyed a positive dining experience. I can fully appreciate how competitive it is for restauranteurs and in some way admire his work ethics but, I do not enjoy this invasion of our privacy.
I can be quite stubborn once I have made a decision and so  I was somewhat surprised when Luke persuaded me that we should give his restaurant a second try. Looks as though we will be eating there tonight!!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2015, 04:20:39 PM »
So glad you enjoyed your evening at the Asfiya Keith, those mini bbqs for the bread are fab aren't they? Look forward to hearing about Sunset Restaurant too  :D

Jayne

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2015, 09:58:48 PM »
Well thank goodness for you keith....! I'm so glad you are able to find time to post about your stay and I'm really enjoying your blog. Albeit, a lonely blog...until Skunk gets there  :) :)
Oh I don't like the idea of people touting for business around private villas and apartments...that's a bit intrusive to say the least :P Do let us know how you get on with tonight's choice for dinner venue.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2015, 09:18:37 AM »
Luke bought a bottle of duty free gin with him and, with Tracey's newly acquired taste for G&T's, we have incorporated having a glass into our nightly ritual; prior to setting off for town.
Despite my reservations about the owner's invasive method for generating customers we agree that we will give Sunset another chance. We have a slow leisurely walk into town stopping at various shops, not only to peruse their wares, but also to avail ourselves of the air conditioning. Luke and his brother both purchased 'fake' watches on their one and only visit to Kalkan (7 years ago) and quite remarkably they are still keeping excellent time!! Luke is considering buying another one for his collection and so we call into the watch shop. Having had a good look round he sees one that he really likes.......£96......he'll think about it!!
We continue down the hill, up past Black & Gold, and arrive at the restaurant. It has a really nice setting overlooking the harbour and we are given a really warm welcome. It's location is probably the main reason why he finds it necessary to drum up business as it is the last one in the row now that the other Kaptans has closed down.
Luke is a bit of a calamari connoisseur and he was glowing in his praise for his starter and stated that it was the best yet. We all enjoyed our traditional Turkish meals and I was pleased that  I had been able to set aside my grievance and agree to dining here this evening.
A slow walk back up through town to Bezirgan's for a cooling drink before going home.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2015, 12:18:17 PM »
Glad you enjoyed sunset Keith. The same thing happened to us a few years ago. There was no knocking at the front door - straight round the back to the pool and we felt the same as you, however his full on sales pitch had the same effect and we too went to sunset restaurant that night. We haven't been back since as there was nothing outstanding about the food but the view was lovely.
Enjoy the rest of your holiday, loving your reports.  :)

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2015, 02:38:22 PM »
Great post Keith. I must say I've never been too sure about Sunset, had a very ordinary meal there once. Nearly ready to get on that flight on Monday now, dying for two weeks sunshine after all the cold and rain here.  :) :) :)

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2015, 03:30:55 PM »
The owner of Sunset has appeared on our pool terrace, without being invited, on numerous occasions, so Very very annoying, we now keep our top gate locked just because of him.

Albeit, got to admire the effort he puts in to promote his restaurant.

Great reports Keith, keep them coming please :-))
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2015, 04:06:52 PM »
Well Skunk we will be on a plane in the other direction on Monday.....so I'll be passing the baton over to you. Thanks to everyone for the comments....it helps to keep me motivated for writing the next chapter . It's been wall to wall sunshine here for the past two weeks and I've forgotten what grey sky's and clouds look like. ☔☔

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2015, 04:51:17 PM »
 :) loving your reports Keith. Thanks for keeping Kalkan fix going to well.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2015, 04:58:15 PM »
Yes thank you so much Keith, we have enjoyed reading your daily reports so much, maybe one more before you come home perhaps!!!  :D :D :D :D

Jayne

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal