Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: How Great Was That?  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
How Great Was That?
« on: September 22, 2010, 12:42:08 PM »
Just returned from two fabulous weeks in gorgeous Kalkan – my second visit with the last one being three years ago.  I was aching to return but was persuaded to ring the changes at other Turkish resorts in the intervening years.  To save space and avoid boring everyone I’m going to do a write up on dining experiences separately, but suffice to say we had a truly marvellous holiday and I am utterly miserable to be home.  I think this was the best holiday I have ever had and can only put this down to the fact that this was the first villa holiday I have had.  I don’t think I will ever want to stay in a hotel again as having our own house and private pool was sublime.  The villa was tucked just behind the Kalamar Rd just a few yards beyond Chillies if that gives you a reference point so from my point of view it was ideally placed to offer slightly out of town peace and quiet combined with an easy walk to all that there is to see and do in Kalkan.  We enjoyed astonishing views from every vantage point and no neighbours – the high degree of privacy was an unexpected and much valued additional benefit.  We also enjoyed the friendship of the adopted cats and dogs (I’ll put pics in the gallery when I get the chance) so it really was a true home from home.  It would have been tempting to just stay poolside for the entire two weeks but obviously we did get out and about to take on board as much of the Kalkan eating experience as we could plus a few days sightseeing.  Having been to Kalkan before we had already done numerous of the organised trips but I never tire of being at sea so one day we went out on the Sunset 2 with captain Mehmet at the helm and had the most relaxing day afloat stopping to swim in crystalline waters at various points, chilling on deck, tucking into the most astonishing fare prepared in the tiniest of galleys and generally wishing every day of our lives could be like this.  On the way back I caught my first ever fish – a mackerel described dismissively as ‘quite small’ by our captain but nonetheless a source of pride to me!  A truly memorable day which did much to wash away all the stresses and strains I had carried with me from London.

I slept like a log for the whole two weeks and woke every morning with a smile on my face.  We dined like royalty, basked like seals and enjoyed the company of a whole crew of new friends.  All holidays should be like this but so rarely are.  After all these superlatives it is sad to report that this will be my last holiday in Kalkan under the present order as my mother, with whom I tend to vacation, cannot cope with the hills any more.  I’m gutted about this but I am sure I will be back either on my own or with friends for shorter breaks at some time or other.  Oh, and the other good news is that in spite of the daily Efes and Angora consumption plus not holding back at any of the restaurants I lost 1lb!  Must be all that hill walking  ;)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6444.0
Cat on a hot tin roof

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
Re: How Great Was That?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 12:49:45 PM »
Hi Firecat!

I get the impression you had a good holiday, then - though not at all suprised?!  Blummin heck, some superlatives in there, too, eh?!! Glad you had such a good time and we must learn more about this villa. Looking forward to your feedback on your restaurant choices, too.

All the best,

Antler

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 01:09:21 PM »
Oooo, Firecat. Your post has cheered me up no end, so positive and enthusiastic in my otherwise pretty dull day, (dentist, corportion tax preparation, need I say more?).

You clearly had a great time. Good food, plenty of lounging about, bit of culture, daily entertainment with new people, and caught a h-u-g-e fish to boot! Sounds perfect to me.

We do the villa thing too - mainly because we are a bit noisy (nooooooooo, it's my husbands trumpet, he practices several times a day) and we woudn't want to disturb other guests.

Hope you find a great place to take your mum next time ...

Really looking forward to your take on the local eateries.
Till then - cheers!
Lori
if you can walk you can dance

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 01:59:06 PM »
Glad you had a good time, Firecat and relieved that the villa location was OK.

REALLY looking forward to hearing all about your dining experiences  ;D

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 04:34:53 PM »
Great report Firecat!!
Nicky

Offline Kefgirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 05:11:01 PM »
It's great to hear a happy report, the villa sounds wonderful, but I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself in a hotel or apartment with friends next time too.
Shame your Mum won't be able to manage another trip to Kalkan, I suppose it will come to us all one day, I try to shove it to the back of my mind though!
Looking forward to hearing your experiences/opinions of the restaurants soon Firecat.
Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Great new bar in Kalkan

Started by Joules on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

6 Replies
Last post July 02, 2011, 08:47:22 PM
by Potter
xx
Great meal

Started by Mrgrimsdale on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

1 Replies
Last post July 07, 2013, 05:53:11 AM
by Mrgrimsdale
xx
Great new site !

Started by onelove on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 10:29:13 AM
by Pete
xx
Great Holiday

Started by anne41 on Holiday Reports and Reviews

15 Replies
Last post October 23, 2009, 08:54:22 AM
by anne41

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Yildiz 2

Views: 2591
By: pw
066.JPG