Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Holiday report  (Read 3429 times)

Offline lyndsey

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Holiday report
« on: June 04, 2011, 04:46:58 PM »
Hello.  We’ve just returned from our 2nd visit to Kalkan (14 to 28 May) & thought we'd share our trip with you.

Flight
Flew with Thomas Cook, good flight, good service & on time!!  Yey!  Arrived into Kalkan about 3am so had a quick nightcap (I do love my Baileys!!) & tried to sleep for a few hours. 

Accommodation
Stayed in a lovely apartment in the old town with a roof terrace & shared swimming pool booked through Owners Direct.  Very modern & clean & reasonably priced.  We got used to the walk up the hill after a while (I’m not complaining we needed the exercise!)

Weather
Woke up to brilliant sunshine, blue skies, not a cloud to be seen.  The weather was glorious for the whole 2 weeks.  We were a little worried as the week before was raining & chilly & being a bit of a sun worshipper you can imagine this was my worst nightmare.  The evenings were a bit cool the first week but got warmer into the 2nd week & even the sea, whilst not exactly warm didn’t quite take our breath away as much during the 2nd week.  Had a real downpour just one night fortunately we were under a canopy but its fun to watch all the waiters running to get chair covers & table cloths inside.  Most restaurants kindly supplied pashminas for the chilly evenings.

Dogs
I know this is a widely discussed topic but I can honestly say that all the dogs we encountered have been very friendly & not overly noisy.  There were a couple on the beach every day but only wanted to play with water bottles thrown in the sea which they would being back & plonk on the sunbed for me to throw again! (very tiresome after a while!!!)

Beach
The town beach looks lovely now with the new umbrellas & sunbeds, & still only 7TL to hire.  Hopefully the road to Kisla will be finished soon.

Water / Electric
We did encounter a shortage of water for a few days, well not so much a shortage just a loss of pressure, still it’s amazing what you can do with a kettle & a bucket.

Trips
The only trip we did this time was a day on the boat Yildiz 2 (I’m told it means star!).  There were 10 of us on the boat & we all got along famously, great group of people.  Beer & wine flowed in abundance (we may have drunk the boat dry!). The food was amazing it just kept coming until none of us could eat anymore.  Coffee & biscuits in the afternoon on the way back ended the day perfectly.

Restaurants
We tried to stay away from the obvious ‘well known’ restaurants to give the lesser known ones a chance too.  Prices varied slightly for both food and drink but the place we visited the most was Seaport Restaurant on the harbour front, surprisingly inexpensive considering its superb location.  Lunch was just a quick walk up the steps from the beach where the staff always welcomed us with big smiles.  Deniz the owner would greet us in the evening with freshly baked bread & a bowl of olives, always keen to show us the fish cart with the days catch (didn’t like the look of the huge gropper fish he had in there one time!! or the live octopus).  You can actually choose the fish you want for dinner.  Afterwards we would laze on one of the 2 comfy Turkish sofas full of squishy pillows & smoke the hubble bubble pipe.  Typical meal for two, starters & main course & a couple of bottles of wine 130TL (£50).  Large Efes was still 5TL.  New place opened next to Raw Diamond called Gourmet (I think it used to be IBO above the dress shop) which I would’ve liked to try, will do next time….anyone been there?  Not a restaurant but had a chicken kebab & yoghurt drink for lunch from the van on market day, sat with the locals it was great.

Mosquitos
Didn’t get a single bite the first week but they did start to come out week 2, found that the Turkish OFF works a treat.

Overall the 2 weeks were pure heaven, can’t complain about a single thing & on countdown until our next trip (July - 35 days).   

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7904.0

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Holiday report
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 05:59:12 PM »
Great report Lyndsey - not long now before I too will be out there in the sunshine.

Offline Potter

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 06:08:28 PM »
Good report, well presented, not long before we are there now  ;)
I'll get me coat!! ;-).....Bang on!

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 06:15:42 PM »
Thanks for your report.   Shall have to give "Seaport" a visit. 
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 06:27:57 PM »
Welcome to the forum Lyndsey. Great first post :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline serviettedeplage

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
  • Almost unbelievable
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 06:31:33 PM »
Great report.  I can almost imagine myself there... Only 46 days for me!

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 11:06:39 PM »
Bring it all on - can't wait for August.  :) :) :)

Offline hodstar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 09:30:09 AM »
8 more days to go for the sun, sea, Efes and a dashing new mankini
 ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 11:11:47 AM »
Ooh I do love reading holiday reports.  Thanks for sharing it with us Lyndsey. :)
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 12:26:01 PM »
Fab report..nice to hear about new restaurants. You've given me itchy feet now, need to get some flights booked now  ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
HOLIDAY REPORT

Started by TC on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post August 22, 2012, 06:07:58 PM
by HolmfirthNicky
xx
Holiday report

Started by HolmfirthNicky on Holiday Reports and Reviews

12 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 10:39:04 AM
by Enişte
xx
Holiday report

Started by cleworthallray on Holiday Reports and Reviews

11 Replies
Last post September 18, 2010, 10:01:12 AM
by cleworthallray
xx
May holiday report

Started by KalkanWilkie on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2012, 11:33:12 PM
by Skunk

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal