Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Hi from Kalkan Suites  (Read 6462 times)

Offline maureenr

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Hi from Kalkan Suites
« on: June 12, 2016, 07:34:27 AM »
Hi folks, not a regular poster on the forum, but have been a member since we first considered Kalkan five years ago and, lots of people on here kindly gave me advice over accommodation etc.
This post is really just to say that Like a lot of people, we rebooked For this year, while we were still here last year. We ( more me than oh), did have reservations over the last few months,as to our safety, at the airports etc, but decided that coming here was far to important to miss, but its very evident that a great many people have decided not to come, as it is very, very quiet in comparision to the previous five years at the same time.
The locals are hopeful that July and August will get busier, fingers crossed for them, that it will.
We went to Chillies on Friday lunchtime and missed being welcomed by the lovely 'Mr Chillie'.
Apparently instead of both 'Mr Chillie' and 'Mr Happy' working together during the season, they are having to split it between them (ie one works a month, the other the next month), because of the lack of tourists.
We sat in The Fountain bar last night, which was empty except us and one other couple, and looked over the rooftop restaurants. There was literally a handful of customers in them and,some restaurants were empty.
We ate last night at a restaurant, which has taken over a double unit in the new development, Golden Plate. The guys are lovely, service was amazing, as was the food. Proper homemade fat chips. Best i've tasted in Kalkan. Huge, juicy fillet steaks, garlic prawns, and a complimentary bottle of rose. The owner genuinely was interested in feedback, as his outlay on the restaurant is huge, and business is very slow. We did tell him we felt the restaurant name, to english people anyway, implies more of a Chinese restaurant, than Turkish. He mentioned that he's worried that the Kalkan regulars, tend to stick with restaurants they've always used, and might be reluctant to try new establishments.
Merkez and the other bars with tv screens were busy last night (footy viewers). So there appeared to be more people around then, but as we had walked from the harbour up to there, the street, which would previously have been packed with people was relatively quiet in comparision. Those not watching football were in BSG buying handbags (me amongst them).
We're here until 23rd June, will be interesting to see if it gets busier over the next 10 days.
Anyway we're having a lovely time. The weather is perfect, the locals welcoming, and can't wait to try more restaurants and, spend a day on Adems newly repaired boat on Wednesday.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13361.0

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Hi from Kalkan Suites
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 08:11:41 AM »
Thanks for the first review of Golden Plate. Sounds great and we will definitely give it a try.  I think many places will struggle to do well this season especially the new units by the harbour who have paid a lot to be there.  We will try to patronise as many places as we can and spread the coin as well as our waistlines!

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 06:05:43 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to post. I come out on 2 July which is a month earlier than normal so I expect to see a difference.  Have a great time and keep posting!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 08:50:47 PM »
Have a fab holiday Maureenr and thanks for the update. The golden plate sounds worth a visit, I think the name sounds really out of place in kalkan. Maybe because its not just one word like most other kalkan restaurants? It does sound a bit Chinesey. Shame though if the name puts people off dining there.     

Offline maureenr

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 06:08:41 AM »
Good Morning. Rain, rain go away. Cloudy and drops of rain this morning. A good day to walk up to the bus station for a trip to Kas along the coast road. Ate last night in Baharat. Tried to dine in Paprika and it was fully booked until 10pm. Baharat were also full, but have a really nice seating area upstairs, so we sat and had drinks while we waited for a table. Rooftop restaurants looked really busy. Great news.
 Baharat's food was even better than last year. Piping hot, delicious and some new dishes on the menu. We also intend to try and spread our custom around, so going to try and resist going back twice to the same place!

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 07:53:36 AM »
We were in Baharat last night too and was as always outstanding.  Love the new menu

Offline Sezkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
    • Fabio
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 08:30:17 AM »
It's so good to read that some restaurants were 'fully booked'. Things must be picking up now then? Really hope so.
Our property - 3 bed, 3 bath, OWN POOL, fab location:-

https://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p1897579
www.kalkanpad.com
Facebook:- Apartment Fabio, Kalkan

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 03:14:16 PM »
Hello maureenr....share your sentiments about the rain and the restaurants. A few definitely seem busier, still nothing like normal, but it's a huge relief for those that are getting customers. We spoke to Deniz at Seaport this morning and he said he had been steady with bookings since he opened...but he needs to fill that place every night to pay the massive rent for his unit. We will definitely go there during this trip but we've not been to Baharat for a few seasons....can't tell you why not, but it sounds like another for our list.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 03:33:02 PM »
OH and I will not go back to same restaurant  more than 50 times .   I reckon   putting a limit  of 50 visits X 250    restaurants  is reasonable  and will enable us to visit  kalkan long  into the afterlife  just like the gods  and then some  , long live Kalkan 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 03:34:44 PM by brian j p »

Offline sun seeker

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 06:09:18 PM »
Glad to see Kalkan is picking up as we arrive at weekend. In Kas at the moment and its relatively quiet with not much atmosphere.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 07:42:50 AM »
Very glad to read the restaurants are picking up, and long may it continue.  We are out in 35 days time and can't wait to try some of the new ones as well as the old ones! Definitely have Golden Plate on our list, and Salonika this year  :D :D. This year we had decided to book our boat trips when we are out there, but couldn't resist, so spent time last night messaging to book some up, and have to say one boat in particular was booked for most of the dates that I enquired about, so that is good news for them, thank goodness I have managed to book though and didn't leave it as planned to when we arrive.

Thank you for taking the time to post maureenr, lovely early morning read this morning. Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

J
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 07:50:30 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline sun seeker

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 04:10:07 PM »
GOLDEN PLATE is excellant well worth a  visit do not miss when visiting. Had a disappointing meal in Alternative, service was very slow and food was not up to standard but they did apologise and gave us another bottle of wine. Extremely hot here at the moment feels more like August 8)

Offline Sezkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Fabio
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 04:28:29 PM »
I keep seeing GOLDEN PLATE crop up. Can somebody tell me where it is exactly please? Thanks.

Offline BeyazGül Apt.

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 04:36:27 PM »
One of the new units opposite Fenner/Light house.

Offline Sezkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Fabio
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 05:04:35 PM »
Ah nice and easy to find, thank you!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

smiley
KALKAN SUITES..

Started by dream on Accommodation and Hotels

1 Replies
Last post July 02, 2013, 11:22:28 AM
by Kajfish
xx
Kalkan Suites!?!?!?

Started by LozJay on Accommodation and Hotels

5 Replies
Last post May 20, 2013, 03:05:37 PM
by chrissy1
xx
Kalkan Suites / Laundry

Started by pw on Accommodation and Hotels

7 Replies
Last post May 13, 2015, 07:39:57 PM
by Charlie
xx
Kalkan suites ? Any Info ?

Started by fidimax on Accommodation and Hotels

8 Replies
Last post May 23, 2011, 07:09:34 PM
by fidimax

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Meis

Views: 3676
By: Mrs Enjoy Kalkan
Lovely Kalkan