Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Hassle  (Read 9383 times)

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Hassle
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 05:45:14 PM »
Perhaps KTLN could bring this subject up at the next Belidiye meeting as I was under the impression that restaurants were told some time ago that they should not have greeters approach or intimidate people passing by and just let them look at the menu and if they wish to book a table then they can assist them.  Do restaurants actually realise that they are doing themselves out of potential customers by having greeters?  If you could browse the menu at leisure without someone breathing down your neck you may decide to eat there and then you will go into the restaurant and ask if they have a table free.   Seems a great waste of money for restaurants to employ greeters when in fact they are actually making potential customers avoid them!

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 05:53:40 PM »
spent second/third week of May in Kalkan , had a lovely time as always, Agree with most comments about running the gauntlet down at the harbor. Most of the time we found a simple " we have just eaten sufficed", however on the odd occasion was not enough. Love a bit of people watching with a few bottles of wine down at Jimmy's  so always a bit of hassle getting there without  many "no thank you's"  passing all the restaurants.  Going back out is Sept/Oct , must admit at the end of the day,  no amount of hassling will put us of going to Kalkan, but we did  find ourselves eating more and more further  up towards where all the banks are. had some lovely meals at Cafe ev and Omars , in fact had the best sea bass ever at Omars and   went back to both establishment  more than once for both lunches and evening meals. no hassle and great prices to boot so to speak  further away from the Harbour . However always pay a visit or two to Akin's and Korsan fish Terrance

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 05:56:30 PM »
I totally agree re the "hassle", I count myself as an "old Kalkan hand", and now tend to eat at only certain restaurants, that I know, they know me and my colleague, we are welcomed as old friends and we love going to them.    Last walk along "restaurant alley" by the harbour almost amounted to assault by the "greeters", we could not wait to get away, it was awful.   Progress through an Egyptian Bazaar is easier :o :o :o :o :o

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
Also find the harbour restaurants the worse for hassle. In fact one of the guys last year was seriously started to p**s my husband off! I'm guessing it's the same one that Lizilu and Skunk had problems with. We were staying in the Pirat and our evening started with a walk along the harbour to Kleo bar for cocktails but we eventually started cutting along the actual harbour side were the boats are just to avoid this man.
Nicky

Offline Mrs P

• Mrs P
  • EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 06:57:08 PM »
I'm glad it isn't  just me that feels this way, I thought I might have been being a bit of a moaning Minnie!! I do hope that someone with some clout is reading these posts and maybe has a word around town.  Hopefully on our next visit we will be able to wander through the streets in peace, here's hoping! Another quick mention for Alternatif who did not hassle us but just gave useful advice when we asked questions, we actually approached them, likewise with Kaya and Ismail at Escudo was also not overly pushy just informative, we ate at all three restaurants and The Olive Garden that has also been mentioned in previous posts, the greeters are definitely having a negative effect  in my opinion   ^-^

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 08:40:16 AM »
Like maryjane we have our favourites and strangely enough they are not restaurants that have greeters (pushers!) they maybe have someone smiling by the door making you feel welcome. Would go as far as to say that with the choice of amazing restaurants in Kalkan that we would never go somewhere if there was someone being pushy.....quite the opposite. Its probably no great surprise that most of the very popular restaurants don't have a pushy greeter.....do the others not notice?? ???

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 11:34:36 AM »
We are also fed up with the greeters & their hassel & rudeness in some cases.  We also spend many months in Kalkan & have known it for 20yrs so have seen the changes.  We did last month speak to a nice young man who had just arrived in Kalkan to work.  He had lived in the UK for 17yrs & was back to trace & look into his family history working to make some money to help in his venture, he isn't a local person.  Asked how he found Kalkan he was unsure, he liked the town found it quiet & was finding the visitors quite nice but he had a problem with the bosses of the businesses, he was only being paid  a percentage of the takings, he had been working for over 3 weeks & not had any payment at that time.  The establishment he was in was one on the new ones just opened & to our knowledge in the first 2 weeks it had had a huge staff turn over.  It was still quite quiet at the time re customers & he had been warned that most of the Kalkan bosses were gready.  Although we hate all the hassel perhaps a lot of the greeters are in the same position & only being paid a percentage of the takings & that makes them more in your face, no excuse for being rude though.   
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 11:52:08 AM »
Still can't see the point in having greeters and if they are relying on a percentage of the takings for wages then the more in your face they are the less they are going to earn.  Less customers - less takings-  it's a no brainer!

Offline sukiliz

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 01:56:34 PM »
The nameless one at the harbour have been giving us and also our son and his partner hassle for the past two years, standing  very close to us and blocking our way so we started to walk along by the boats and he has even leant over the wall and shouted at us he just doesn't get it we'll never eat at any restaurant he works at.  That said we don't find other greeters intrusive.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 03:54:15 PM »
Goodness me, I didn't realise that so many other people had also had hassle from the nameless one!! >:(

We need to do something about this. We should come up a phrase to use, and all say the same thing to unnerve him!! That would seve him right. I wonder if his manager knows that so many people have avoided this restaurant (us included), all because of him!!

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2013, 03:57:55 PM »
I need a clue.....confused.com  ???
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2013, 04:16:47 PM »
Why are you confused onelove?

Too many Efes??

I can think of one phrase to say to him but unfortunately it's too rude to print and I am a lady!! I was thinking us secret agents should have some kind of a code word or phrase, maybe in turkish, that means leave us alone, or I will never grace your establishment until you learn some manners.  :o

Just thought it'd be fun if we all said the same thing to him. Perhaps I need to get out more! ;D ;D

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 04:51:42 PM »
I guess that the restaurant owners/managers don't read this website so may be blissfully unaware of the loss of business due to their (over enthusiastic/downright rude) greeters.  Perhaps someone who lives in Kalkan and speaks a bit of Turkish could make it known to restaurant owners that this is getting to be quite a serious issue and it is going to have an adverse effect on their business.   Such a shame because the season is only short lived and these greeters are actually having the opposite effect of bringing in customers by driving them away instead!

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2013, 04:56:04 PM »
Why are you confused onelove?

Too many Efes??

I can think of one phrase to say to him but unfortunately it's too rude to print and I am a lady!! I was thinking us secret agents should have some kind of a code word or phrase, maybe in turkish, that means leave us alone, or I will never grace your establishment until you learn some manners.  :o

Just thought it'd be fun if we all said the same thing to him. Perhaps I need to get out more! ;D ;D

Drinking a nice cup of (PG Tips) as I write this  ;).  Still need a clue...is it one of the first restaurants as you walk along the harbour away from Marina ?

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2013, 05:16:28 PM »
Well why doesn't someone on here name and shame the restaurant/offender then we could all avoid him, as i for one am not sure who you are all talking about.  ???

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2013, 05:48:05 PM »
Ok, I ll  name the restaurant i'm on about and see if the same one that Lizilu means. It's one of the first restaurants on the harbour from the Pirat end and it's Iilyda. (think I've spelt it right).

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2013, 06:23:58 PM »
Ah, I get why you were confused now one love, forgive me, it's been a long day! Just got in from work to continue the thread!

You've hit the nail on the head Nicky, it was indeed ilyada!! The greeter at trio can sometimes be a bit pushy too (depending if they are the same ones this year). We had a bit of hassle from trios greeter in April, but the one at ilyada last year won the award for most annoying!!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 06:27:09 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2013, 07:04:49 PM »
I find a polite no thanks and walk on by always work.... ;)

Offline pattaya

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2013, 07:08:08 PM »
Yeah I know the guy your all talking about. We started to walk along by the boats up to fenner cafe to save getting asked. But the worst offender in our case is a guy up in the old town, gets very rude.
I think we should tell the owners that this just puts people off. Never been anywhere as bad for it, we even started to drive the car down so we would not have to deal with it witch is shame.

Offline sukiliz

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2013, 07:21:19 PM »
Misty that's difficult when he is standing nose to nose with you blocking your way - he was at Ilyada last year but has moved to a new restaurant nearly opposite Marina can't remember the name.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Turunc

Views: 4664
By: blondie
Homeward bound