Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: First week over, one more to go.  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Kefgirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
First week over, one more to go.
« on: October 02, 2010, 09:28:20 AM »
Haven't been able to get a good wi-fi signal when I've had the netbook with me, or if I have, the sun has been too bright to see the screen!! (Sorry to rub it in  :D )

We've been lying low for a few days, as OH has had the dreaded prickly heat and a bit of an ear/dizzines problem, which he's had before, but all OK now.

I must ask- Where is the EK thermometer positioned?  The reason I ask is because it's wildly at odds with a good electronic one that we bring on holiday and place in the shade.  This morning, ours was showing 27 degrees and the EK one was only 20   ???  with "real feel" 19. Honestly, it hasn't dropped below 23, even at night. Not possible to really, as the sea temp is 24, which determines the air temp.

Anyway, "Kalkan Magic" alive and well, we've tried a few new places this year and the food and staff have been a complete joy.
Last night we went to Bread and More, as we'd had such a fantastic long, lazy lunch there earlier in the day. Couldn't quite get our heads round the fact that this beautiful, stylish place had appeared from just a piece of waste ground that we kept passing last year. We had a lovely Turkish lunch, best food so far, by a mile and a relaxing, welcoming ambience. Pizza is not something we usually order, but we shared the Bread and More special, with a side order of Aubergine salad, Hummus and a mixed salad, completed with a basket of their amazing bread. Oh.... Yessss........! It was "The business"  So good, in fact, we booked a table for that night, which was featuring a classical guitarist. Good job we booked too, as the place was rammed, we'd highly recommend eating here. I had the lamb shank and Mr Kefgirl had the seafood platter, with a shared meze plate to start. The red Angora was served perfectly and we were raving to each other about how good it all was.
The guitarist was the finishing touch, he was extremely talented and played all evening, picking the most wonderful pieces to play. He's going to be there every Friday, don't miss out!
Other places we loved this week, were Extinct, the food was divine and the service and charm made the evening delightful.  What a genuinely nice man the owner is, we had a great chat with him at closing time about the state of the world, the European take on how Muslims are viewed and lots of issues etc. We'll be going back there for sure.

Istanbul and Ak Deniz, both behind the fish market were also great for getting a feel of real Turkish food in an unpretentious setting. We were a bit too early in the evening at Ak Deniz, so lost out on atmosphere a bit, but that was our fault.

Chillies was another "find" this year, thanks to this forum, the food, welcome and atmosphere are not to be missed, so glad we found it.

So, today is for more topping up of the tan (while OH hides under the brolly) and a walk into town for a spot of lunch. First, though, I'm just going to walk the 2 yards to the steps and get into the Med for some cooling floating about  ;D   Cathy

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6497.0
Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
Re: First week over, one more to go.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 11:05:17 AM »
Glad to hear you are having a good time.

I used to suffer really badly with prickly heat & have now found the cure which I've passed on to many people. It's such a misery & can ruin your holiday.

THE CURE:

Two weeks before the hols & all during take a one-a-day-non-drowsy anti-histamine tablet. I take mine at breakfast so as not to affect the Efes!

Only use Piz Buin anti-allergy suncream - I use the factor 30 & still get a good tan.

Waterproof suncreams can trigger it as they block the pores.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 11:07:40 AM by sally »

Offline Kefgirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 11:55:22 AM »
Thanks Sally, for your very good and most welcome advice. It's always good to get information from someone who's found a remedy that actually works!
We're very grateful to you for taking the trouble to share that helpful tip. C xx

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 12:31:40 PM »
The EK weather is powered by Accuweather who have a base station at Fethiye :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 12:57:46 PM »
Thanks for another nice report Kefgirl.....you are making me envious....hope other half is getting better! as for anti- Histamine tablets....buy Asda's own,they are a fraction of brand leaders and contain cetirizine just like the others(79p for 14)we use them for prickly heat in kalkan and hay fever in the UK!!..... ;)

(start taking antiihistamine 3 weeks before you go for maximum effect against prickly heat)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 08:48:57 AM by blue lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 04:44:25 PM »
I am suffering a monstrous envy crisis!  You are having such a fab time I wish I was there with you!  Bread & More was something of a revelation to me too, but we went rather 'off peak' and missed out on the live music and the atmosphere.  The food was ace though, and the 'happy hour' 10TL cocktails an excellent start to the evening.  I hope your second week is every bit as good as your first  :)
Cat on a hot tin roof

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
One week to go!

Started by khancock on When Are You In Kalkan / Arrange a meet up

9 Replies
Last post September 26, 2012, 09:55:33 PM
by Firecat
xx
End of the 1st week and it is so hot......

Started by ScotsinKalkan on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 07:59:59 PM
by felicity
xx
Week One Over

Started by misty on The Everything Else Area!

8 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 03:25:32 PM
by clara 50
xx
next week

Started by candygold1 on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 08:27:31 PM
by LozJay

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal