Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: First timers in Kalkan  (Read 13873 times)

Offline kevtamuk

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: First timers in Kalkan
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 09:46:51 AM »
After breakfast we join another 8 guests on the Elixir minibus to Kas.  It doesn't take too long and it is a nice drive along the coast and past Kaputus beach

Our captain and his mate are awaiting our arrival and we are welcomed on board and told to make ourselves comfortable. We join two other couples at the front of the boat on the lounger mattresses whilst the others seek shade at the back.  Before we know it we are sailing out of Kas new marina and out to sea. We soon get talking to the other couples and enjoy swapping tales of holidays, jobs and family. Before too long we are at our first stop and the anchor is dropped and we are told we have 42 minutes here.  The captain is a bit of a joker with his very accurate timings during the cruise.  Some of the men dive or jump from the deck into the clear blue water.  Being a bit of a wuss when it comes to swimming out of my depth, I give this a miss on this occasion.  On we sail up the coastline to a little rocky cove where the captain expertly reverses in and anchors up.  He tells us that we are welcome to join him climb up the cliff and bring our cameras.  Before any of us grasp what he is saying as the cliff is pretty steep and the rock looks very sharp, he is out of the boat and climbing up the cliff face like a sure footed mountain goat.  We all just stare in amazement as he stands high above us taking photos on his phone. Needless to say no one follows him but most get out and have a swim - as do I.   The water is glorious clear and not too cold and sets us all up for a relax before lunch is served.  We all sit on the covered back deck and enjoy stuffed courgettes, tomatoes and aubergines, spicy green beans and tomato, a chicken dish, bread and a mixed salad.  This was very tasty and we paid for a cold beer to wash it down.

Before too long we were off and had another couple of stops along the coast.  There were snorkels on board but no one saw any fish on any of the stops which was a disappointment.  I would loved to have seen a turtle at some point on this holiday but unfortunately it doesn't look likely

Tea and coffee was served around 4pm with the most tasteless selection of biscuits I have ever tried.  Shame as I was hoping for some tasty baklava

At 5pm the ever punctual captain deposited us at the harbour and after settling our bill for the beers and giving him a tip we were on our way back to Kalkan in the mini bus.  Feeling very relaxed and thankfully not burned we enjoy the drive home

We'd booked a table for 8pm at the Fish Terrace but wanted to negotiate on a light we had seen in one of the shops. So after getting ready we head to the shop and asked again for his best price - he maintained that the normal price was 175 TL but end of season 150.  We said we'd have a think a and be back after dinner.  We asked the price at another shop and were told 165 so we reasoned that we'd be happy to pay 150 or less. 

Stop for a happy hour 20% off cocktail at Kleos bar which was very good, an american pie Martini for Kev and Bahama mama for me - lovely peaceful spot over the harbour

At the Fish Terrace whilst not getting a tables right on the edge we still had a good spot and the music was just starting. It was the same couple who had played at Gironda.  He plays the guitar and her voice is beautiful and soulful - what a perfect setting for a meal

Complimentary starter of warm rolls, fresh salty anchovies and tapenade. 
We cannot decide which fish dish to go for, so split a grouper kebab with mild curry sauce and the sea bass baked with lemon on a potato, green bean and warm tomato salad.  Both were delicious but we agreed that the grouper in the mild curry sauce was our favourite of the two dishes.  We decide on a pudding for a change - creme caramel for me and chocolate orange jaffa cake for Kev. Both were average and we probably shouldn't have bothered.  Meal plus two glasses of wine and an amaretto sour and tip came to 200 TL

Head off to the lamp shop to do a deal.  Eventually settle on 140 TL and shake on it.   It is carefully dismantled and packed away to hopefully ensure we get it home in one piece where it should look fabulous in our conservatory - thankfully we know an electrician who should be able to sort it.

Feeling happy with our purchase we feel a celebratory drink is in order so up to The Fountain bar.   Whilst on the cruise this afternoon we'd told our shipmates about this bar and recommended they try it.  Well lo and behold no sooner had we ordered than first one couple and then the other turned up. 

We sat around the table and all enjoyed a fun filled evening with much laughter and many cocktails.  Unbelievably we realised we were the last last people left and it was actually 2 am.  Just goes to show time flies when you're having fun with good company.  So we settled our tab which unsurprisingly was more than our lamp

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 10:43:38 AM »
Really enjoyed this report, kevtamuk. I love it when you get chatting in a bar then suddenly you realise 4 hours have passed...! Perhaps next year you will try a boat trip out of Kalkan - so many to choose from and I dont believe I've ever been served tasteless biscuits at the tea stop :P plus the Mud Bath is a must :)
Look forward to hearing more about your stay
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:50:29 PM by kalkan4eva »
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 10:48:15 AM »
Are we alone in being a bit perplexed about the Fish Terrace putting the large groups on tables near the edge?

These tables for 6 or 8 (or more) are so engrossed in each other so they don't appreciate the view, while the couples who may (romantically??) appreciate the vista of Kalkan Bay are shuffled away into the depths of the roof?

Or maybe we're just curmudgeonly!
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline kevtamuk

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014, 03:02:31 PM »
So here I am back in England - washing in the machine and heating on and I am determined to finish the report so here goes.

Well the last thing we all say after the quiet walk back to LP was must bring in the lounger cushions etc., but as soon as the door was closed we completely forgot our good intentions and lo and behold in the night I awake to hear the sound of the rain lashing down and remember what we'd all said.  Hey ho they soon dried out.

So our last morning and after a relatively bright start it soon clouds over and the rest of the day proves cloudy with intermittant showers and thundery spells.  Definitely not how we envisaged spending our last day, but thankfully the overhang on the roof means we can sit outside on the loungers and relax in the still warm air.

Lunch time comes and we decide we can't be bothered to go to town especially as it still looks like there may be more rain, so down to the restaurant where we share a platter of onion rings, chicken fillets, borek, chips and other tasty morsels accompanied by chilli sauce, salsa and bizarrely tartare sauce even though there was nothing fishy on the plate.

Back to the room and then out later for our last supper!  Bought some "designer" perfume for our daughters and then went to the Kleo bar.  How depressing as the Seaport Restaurant was packing away all the furniture and we assume this is for the end of the season, so grateful that this was our last day not the first as it must be weird to go and see some of the restaurants shut up.  Mind you there are such a great number to chose from that wouldn't be an issue but it still seems sad to see some shut for the winter. 

A last drink in Botanik Garden as we reflect on what a wonderful time we've had and how much our daughters and my mother in law will enjoy it next May. 

As we walk towards Kalamaki we notice that it's roof terrace is shut and the diners are eating inside, oh dear this isn't how we envisaged eating on our last night but it appears quite a few of the restaurants haven't opened on their roof terraces.  So in we go - a stark contrast to many of the restaurants as it is very modern and indeed the loos are a sight to behold with their glass fish tanks, amazing water sink feature and plastic wrapped loo seat - it took me a few minutes to work out how to get the water to flow down the channels into the sink and I tried waving my arms, looked for a foot pedal and then saw a small silver knob on the wall that needed pulling or twisting to start the water.  What a faff - definitely more style over substance but a definite talking point.

We get chatting to a couple on another table who arrived on Monday - they are loving Kalkan too and are enjoying sampling all the various restaurant menus.  They tell us that this is their favourite so far.

So back to our choices, we split a swordfish kebab and a duck dish cooked with sour cherries, bilberries and various other fruits.  They were both very tasty and very well cooked - served on amazing big white plates.  Another lovely meal which we enjoyed, the only negative was my glass of red wine was nearly steaming it was so warm - I asked for some ice in it to cool it down.  In hindsight I should have asked for a different drink as later I felt decidingly dodgy.

Back for our last farewell to the Fountain Bar, where before too long we are joined by Ivor, Caroline, Sharon and Steve from the hotel and the boat trip.  Another enjoyable evening, much talk and laughter as we recount on our fun holiday in Kalkan.  We all agree that we will be coming back and I tell them that from everything I have read everyone says that and does come back.

So back at 1 am where a restless night ensues due to something which I put down to the red wine as I didn't actually drink much this evening.  Up at 8 am to pack up and have breakfast before heading off to Dalaman airport at 10 am

Uneventful journey and we check in without hitch.  Unlucky Thomas Cook customers in the next queue are told they have a 6 hour delay.  Poor people really feel for them - nothing worse than being stuck at an airport for any length of time - just not enough to do to pass the time

Have a subway for lunch and buy some tequilla in duty free before sitting at the gate, reading and passing the time.  Get's a bit worrying when our plane doesn't turn up but thankfully it isn't too late and we actually take off about 30 minutes later than the planned time.

In spite of finishing my 5th book of the holiday I soon get bored on the flight - really wish any flight longer than 3 hours had to play movies.  I had downloaded the Monarch app but it didn't work.

So back in England 14 degrees and a bit rainy - we actually saw a rainbow before we landed.  Straight through passport control and one case straight out - bit of a worry as the other is no where in sight but as there are still lots of people waiting don't panic and then out it comes.  Pick up the car from the valet parking and in just over 2 hours we are home and pick up the indian that our daughter had pre-ordered.

So here we are the day after our holiday ended.  Our daughters are keen to know did we have fun, will they love it.  It was a double yes - we loved Kalkan, loved the character of the streets, restaurants and bars, loved that there weren't lots of naff shops, yes there are loads of handbag shops and jewellers but they are all nicely done as I had no interest in either I didn't spend any time seeing what was on offer.  I was surprised maybe there weren't more shops selling spices and things like that, but I wanted to go to the market which was on the boat trip day to get some things like that.  Next year we will definitely do that and see what there is.

The one thing that did surprise us was that we didn't eat the amount we thought we would - apart from the Turkish platter on the first night which was 3 courses, we struggled with two courses and mostly stuck to just one.  Mind you I'd rather leave a restaurant feeling comfortably full rather than feeling absolutely stuffed.

As for the boat trip whilst we enjoyed it - we can't work out why they don't choose a company that sail out of Kalkan, and we have decided we will hire a private boat or something like that for next year with the family.

We see what everyone means when they say the roads are very steep and is it really suitable for a 90 year old.  However as the villa is in the Kalamar area of Kalkan we will be getting taxis backwards and forwards and we have worked out that if you get dropped at the taxi rank you can walk relatively easily along the top lane and back down the other and then along the marina to pick up a taxi home from the bottom.  If we avoid the steps between the roads and make sure my m-i=l always has hold of someones arm she should cope really well.  She is very fit and walks the mile from her house up a hill to our local dentist surgery, so as long as she keeps well over the next 6 months we hope she will love her first Turkish holiday.

We know for a fact everyone will love the vast choice of restaurants, with their wonderful menus, the stunning views of the mountains and the sea and the sun setting and the moon rising over the hills.

So that's the end - we had a blast and will be back in May for more Kalkan magic.

Offline Derbyshire

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2014, 03:23:29 PM »
Hi thank you for all your lovely reports we are back in June (19th time)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2014, 10:48:57 AM »
If the Monarch flight didn't have the new seats (with the Tablet holder in the back) then it hasn't been upgraded yet and the Monarch App wouldn't work.  Probably will next year when they should have finished upgrading the interiors.

Thomas Cook?  TC= Total C... - you get the idea!

Offline kevtamuk

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 12:54:32 PM »
It was a new plane with the new seats and the tablet holder.

On the way we had an older plane and they mentioned the app but we couldn't connect to it and on the way home we had a newer plane and they didn't even mention the app.

Hey ho - just one of those things I guess.  I will download a film next time we fly with Monarch in case the app isn't working

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2014, 02:45:03 PM »
kevtamuk, thanks so much for posting on your first visit to Kalkan - its been an absolute pleasure to read your blog. I bet you are looking forward to coming back next year - armed with your wayfinding knowledge and extensive bar/shop research I'm sure you will have an equally enjoyable stay.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 03:15:29 PM »
Thanks so much for your entertaining reports. It might have been your first time in Kalkan but Toy seem to have packed plenty in and are armed with lots of ideas for your next holiday in May. You'll have to start your countdown now!  :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2014, 05:46:50 PM »
Yes thanks Kevtamuk, has been really lovely reading your reports.  Am very impressed that despite packing so much in, you also managed to read 5 books! Every year it is my plan to read at least 2, and I usually only just about get through 1! Get the countdown App on your phone, it certainly keeps us going through the winter watching the days count down  :D

J

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2014, 08:05:36 PM »
Yes, kevtamuk, I enjoyed reading your reports, too. I know what you mean when things close around you -a very different kind of holiday feeling.

Hope you are up for reporting back again next May!

All the best!

Offline kevtamuk

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2014, 10:09:06 PM »
Thanks for all your kind comments . Without doubt this wonderful forum and peoples trip reports definitely meant we had a lot of great information before our trip which enhanced our holiday

Having experienced it all first hand we have no doubt that next May's holiday will be just as great, if not more so, as we will have the pleasure of showing four new first timers the delights of Kalkan

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2014, 09:05:59 PM »
Me thinks, 4 New Timers are going to be very, very lucky indeed!!  Spoilt to death, may be?!

Cheers

Offline kevtamuk

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2015, 10:28:52 PM »
Just to update. We're heading back with the 4 newcomers on Saturday.  Found an amazing villa and looking forward to revisiting many of our favourites from last time,including The Fountain bar, Botanik, Gironda and possibly Sade or The Fish Terrace.

Also excited to try some of the other wonderful restaurants.  Tentative plans are a Turkish bath on the Sunday(, if they are open), we've booked a private boat trip out of the harbour, a visit to the market and possibly a visit to Saklikent gorge and a mud bath.  Other than that we'll mostly be chilling round the pool with cold Efes, enjoying walking round the wonderful streets, showing the family why we fell in love with Kalkan

No blog this time but hopefully we'll do a short report on our website not too long after our return

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2015, 08:04:08 AM »
Atlantis is open for Turkish baths.....we'll be heading up there on our first morning next week!

Offline kevtamuk

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2015, 01:00:37 PM »
Thanks we'll have a look at that

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
kalkan first timers

Started by shebs1964 on Introduce Yourself

1 Replies
Last post May 14, 2013, 06:58:55 PM
by Helshe
xx
Two Timers

Started by Sarah S on Holiday Reports and Reviews

15 Replies
Last post October 17, 2018, 07:35:42 PM
by Sarah S
recycled
1st timers

Started by skauser on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 09:37:58 AM
by skauser
xx
first timers

Started by scooby555 on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 05:36:33 PM
by scooby555

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal