Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: First timers in Kalkan  (Read 13865 times)

Offline kevtamuk

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
First timers in Kalkan
« on: October 05, 2014, 06:50:10 AM »
So we're here, currently lying in our mezzanine bed watching the boats bobbing in the sea and marvelling at the morning light on the hills - in our Duplex suite at The Lykia Pavilion

After a nightmare journey from Gloucestershire on Friday afternoon where we got to experience the joys of slow moving traffic from not only the legendary M25, but also due to a crash- the M4 and due to roadworks the M23 - we eventually arrived at The Premier Inn for a bargain £86 park and stay.  Quick change then meal at Giraffe before an early night with three alarms set for 4.15am.  Needless to say none were needed as I was awake at 2am and couldn't go back to sleep

Breakfast at Frankie and Benny's then off we go on the Monarch flight which pulled back on time but this took off about 20 minutes late.  Unremarkable flight but quickly through the airport which seems bigger than when we last came to Turkey about 15 years ago. The Elixir driver was waitin,g so with 3 or so other parties we were soon on our way to enjoy the delights of Kalkan.  The Gocek tunnel was also a new feature so after an hour and a half we arrived. How wonderful to see all those bars and restaurants I have been reading about over the last 6 months

Greeted at the Lykia Pavilion and ushered to the bar for a very welcome cocktail.  After enjoying the spectacular views we are shown our suite.  Beautifully done with bleached wood floors and shades of cream, which together with the double height windows makes for a light and bright space.  Take lots of photos and video before we make too much of a mess

Relax by our swimming pool with an ice cold Efes before going out for the evening.  What a treat to wander those little lanes so pretty with flowers and magical steps leading to more delights.  Armed with a map we had prepared we soon found The Botanik Garden and enjoyed our cocktails in that twinkling oasis whilst listening to a gorgeous swing soundtrack. What a perfect start to the holiday.

Supper was a tray meal for two on the top terrace at The Olive Garden washed down with an Efe and glass of red wine.  What a feast, fish soup and olive bread to start, kebabs, meatballs, stuffed vegetables, rice, beans in a sauce and various other delights followed by dough balls with chocolate sauce, amazing ice cream and a sponge syrup cake. To finish we were presented with a marzipan liquor, coffee and Turkish delight which to my dismay I just couldn't eat as I was too full.  In fact the early start and amount of food meant I was desperate to get back.  So a stroll home and we were back by our pool.

We had been warned that the restaurant was being used for a wedding reception that night and had seen the stunning bride and groom when we left earlier.  So we were able to enjoy the likes of Queen and Bruce Springsteen from our own private party on our poolside.  However things soon deteriorated and we had to suffer rap and dance songs which the wedding guests seem to appreciate far more than we did judging from the way they were singing along!  Well although I was feeling netted out now it was nearly midnight so time for bed.  Thankfully the earplugs worked and we had a peaceful night

So plans for today are to try and get Glastonbury festival tickets at 11 am not holding out much hope as the WiFi isn't that fast but hopefully our daughters back home might strike lucky.  Then meeting the couple we are renting a villa from next May - they are going to show it to us.  Welcome meeting back here at 1.30pm and then some relaxation and exploring I suspect

Sorry to bore you with my ramblings but we have a webpage with most of our holidays over the last 15 years so these notes will be the basis for this years together with copious amounts of photos and video clips www.kevinstringer.co.uk

Wish me luck in the ticket sale and I'll be back with an update later   :P

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12439.0

Offline Bez

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: First timers in Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 09:35:56 AM »
Hey fellow Kalkanian! (Is that the name for us?)

Glad you got here ok and have settled in!  We are here at the moment too!

Can't wait to read more!

Kalamaki for us tonight

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 11:41:56 AM »
Not to be nit-picking, but more a FYI:

Aircraft departure time is push-back; aircraft arrival time is wheels on the ground.

So Monarch actually departed on time!

Confusing, but that's how it is!
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 01:31:03 PM »
I think the term is Kalkanite!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 01:36:58 PM »
lovely report kevtamuk....the Pavillions do look beautiful and your views from there must be simply stunning. Glad all is ok well so far, look forward to reading more.
Chris_S you really need to get out a bit more :-* :-*
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline kevtamuk

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 08:38:15 AM »
So breakfast was served at the restaurant with wonderful views of the the sun glinting on the sea.  A lovely selection of fresh fruit, yoghurt, honey, cheeses, olives and lovely breads that we could toast our self over a small container of hot coals.  We also chose poached eggs which were perfectly cooked.  We returned to our room in readiness for the Glastonbury ticket sale which started at 11 am.  Thankfully the WiFi appeared to be running faster but despite refreshing the page numerous times not a sniff of the booking form.  Thankfully we got word from home that one of our daughter's friends had got through.  A huge sigh of relief as they sold out in record time just 25 minutes.  It was time to head off to meet Alex and Terry to be shown the villa we have rented for next May.  We met outside Sandals and drove up to view their wonderful villa.  They gave us lots of information and hints on nearby bars and restaurants and we felt happy we'd made a good choice. They kindly dropped us back at Lykia and we had a chicken Caesar salad and Efes before meeting the Elixir rep who told us about the boat trip that is included in the holiday. This is on Thursday and sounds like fun.  So after getting information as to what else is on offer and local attractions we bid our farewells and spend a relaxing afternoon by our pool

The plan was to go out to a bar for sunset and we were ready in plenty of time but in spite of our trusty map we realised that the Fountain bar wasn't where we thought.  Thankfully the phone and google maps got us on the right road but still no sign.  Decided to head down to the harbour instead when we spotted the sign. Up the stairs to the roof terrace where we enjoyed watching the sun setting behind the hills whilst I had a raspberry mojito and Kev a Lynchburg lemonade.  Lovely cocktails and a friendly waiter with a great view.  A couple of Efes in Giironda courtyard bar which again was very pretty and then we had to head to Sade restaurant for our 7.30 reservation.  Luckily we'd booked as all tables were reserved. I was in a quandary we'd read that the steaks here are great but I had my head turned by the lamb shank and decided on that.  Kev went for fillet steak with mushroom and brandy sauce.  After a delicious warm roll with balsamic and oil and a tapenade the mains came out and we weren't disappointed.  My lamb was so tender with  lovely sauce, creamy mash and al dente vegetables.  Kev's steak was perfectly cooked with crispy chips and veg.  We were very happy but unfortunately too full for me to try the fried ice cream which I saw on the blackboard.  Total bill 150 tl including tip.

As we were near the Botanik  bar we decided to head there for a nightcap. Banana dacquiri for me and long island iced tea were enjoyed whilst listening to the music which was a mix of soul, reggae etc., we both agreed they seem to have the music choices well thought out.  A rum and coke to end the night and then a slow walk back.

We both agree that Kalkan is fabulous but there are so many gorgeous bars and restaurants its tough choosing which ones to go to. Thanks to this forum we have a shortlist though and are looking forward to sampling more over the coming nights.

After a good nights sleep and great breakfast, a morning spent by the pool is the plan before heading in for lunch later.   We have booked the hotel restaurant for tonight as the reviews are very good so we shall see if it lives up to expectations.

Well the lounger is calling and I need to start my second book of the holiday. Its a hard way to spend a Monday morning but I'm up for the challenge.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 10:16:47 AM »
Thanks for posting kevtamuk. Lovely to read a report from first timers and hearing about your discoveries along the way. Please keep these lovely reports coming :)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 10:51:35 AM »
Kalkan4eva:  It's because I get out that I find out these things!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 05:21:28 PM »
 ;D ;D

Offline kevtamuk

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 06:53:20 AM »
After a relaxing morning by the pool, we head up the road to explore some more of the delights of Kalkan.   I'm not that much of a fan of shopping, I think my youngest daughter deserves that award, however I did spot some lovely cushion covers that we both agreed would look good on our new settee. We were told they were 17.50 TL each which seemed reasonable, but decided to wait and see what else was on offer before buying them

It was lovely wandering around the streets at lunch time as it was so much quieter and we enjoyed browsing shop windows and looking at restaurant menus.   But we were soon in need of sustenance so decided on a table overlooking the harbour at Doy Doys.  A refreshing glass of cherry juice and two Efes was accompanied by prawn sandwiches with chips and salad. Very tasty and such a lovely setting watching the boats bobbing on the water.  After paying we were each given a little bracelet which was a nice touch.

Had a walk back via a loop of the harbour and took some photos and video before heading back for some more r and r.

We'd both thought Feners at the lighthouse looked like a good spot for a drink so early evening we enjoyed a couple of pink margaritas there before going to Girondas to book a table for tomorrow evening as they were advertising live music on a Tuesday.   On the way back to Lykia we popped into the cushion cover place and got four for 60 TL so very happy with that

Back at Lykia Pavilion we were shown to our table and enjoyed a complimentary starter of roasted peppers with a beetroot puree and some different cheeses which was very tasty and beautifully presented.  For my main course I chose Balaban kebab - Turkish meatballs on a spiced flat bread with yoghurt and chips.  It might sound pretty basic but it was delicious and so well presented, also not too filling.  Kev went for sea bass which again he loved, very tasty with great accompaniments and served on the biggest plate we've ever seen.  We'd seen pictures of the pear dessert wrapped in candy floss so I had that for pudding and Kev had baklava and goats milk ice cream. My pear wasn't exactly the same as expected visually but was very tasty.  Stuffed with nuts and poached in a sauce with bits of candy floss type sugar topping the accompanying fruit, also with some creamy goat's milk ice cream.  Kev's baklava was perfect, lovely and moist and tasty as it should be and best of all he let me take half of it back to the room for later. We decided this was the best meal so far and for two courses, three glasses of wine a one beer it came to 200 TL including tip which we thought great value for the quality of food and service.  Our one quibble was it was perhaps a bit too light in the restaurant, but that could be just us.

After taking the baklava back to the room, we were going to walk further up the road to the beach club to see if there was anywhere for a drink.  All was very quiet and we couldn't find anything, so after a fruitless walk up a track which we wrongly assumed would take us out to one of the top roads, we turned round and walked back for a nightcap by our pool.  Note to self don't assume the tracks lead anywhere other than someone's house and that potentially they will have a loud barking dog to add to your shame

Offline Derbyshire

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 07:11:08 AM »
Hi kevtamuk love the reports you must go to fishterrace restaurant ! Have live music on Tuesday Thursday and Sunday enjoy !

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 10:02:56 AM »
ha ha...I know where you walked :) When BH and I are on our mega walks we've been along this track and encountered the very loud and scary dogs. It does look as though it leads somewhere...so its an easy mistake to make. Often when we are out walking in this area we start to walk along this path then realise where we are and turn round pretty sharpish. The dogs are behind a fence but they do bark and jump at the fence very aggressively - I was petrified.
Sounds like you are having a great holiday - cant believe Doy Doy still hand out bracelets - its years since we've been there. No reason why other than you have your favourites and they are consistently good and there's SOOHH many to chose from.
Look forward to hearing more about your stay

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 03:21:13 PM »
Yes thank you so much for posting Kevtamuk, the Lykia Pavilion sounds wonderful. It is great that so many people are sharing their holidays, even now in October, long may it continue  :D :D :D

I am calling it now my EK 2.30pm fix (when I get home from work each day) the first thing I do after making a coffee is to log onto EK!

J
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 03:47:14 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline kevtamuk

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 09:01:21 AM »
Thanks for the lovely comments. Derbyshire thanks for the tip about the Fish Terrace that was on our list to try so we have booked for Thursday to coincide with the live music.

Kalkan4eva glad we're not the only ones to head up there thinking it lead somewhere

Anyway you know what they say about best laid plans - well rather than take a dolmus or taxi to Pataras beach we opted to spend the morning at the Yali beach club and then relax by our pool.  After all we had paid good money for the privilege of having such a great room and pool it seems silly not to make the most of it.  Also as we are returning in May we can explore further afield then.

So after breakfast we take a short walk up the road where we notice the incredibly steep steps leading down  to a rocky cove with the bluest water.  On the way back we actually see 4 people seemingly take their life in their hands and go down them.  We did have a chuckle at the thought of them getting to the bottom only to find there were lots of people already down their and if that had been the case how disappointed they would be having made such an effort

Anyway I digress, the Yali beach club has a separate platform for Lykia Pavilion guests and we were the only ones on it so it was a nice way to spend a few hours.  Not sure whether it is because it is the end of the season but we did think all the sunbeds, mattresses etc were looking decidedly shabby and worn, not at all what we expected.

We had a swim in the clear blue waters and enjoyed watching people water skiing and being towed by the power boats on inflatable chairs.  Lunch time we ate at the little restaurant, we split buffalo wings and coleslaw and a spinach, chicken mozzarella wrap with chips and salad which was pretty good - all washed down by an obligatory Efes.

So back to our pool for an afternoon of lazing and reading and watching the boats going to and fro.

Having researched cocktail bars we decide to try and find Deniz for tonights sundowner.  Unfortunately we head off up the hill armed with our google map and a tentative star where we believe we will find this fine drinking establishment.  In hindsight taking a charged phone as back up would have been a good idea, but as we wandered higher and higher passing houses with chickens outside and looking less and less likely that we were in the right area we reach the main road in.  By now we are hot and sweaty and have no idea where to go so there is no choice but to head downhill.  The one thing I would say though is we had the most stunning views of Kalkan from up there.   Do you see a theme here with us exploring and getting nowhere?   We walk a lot back home but I have to say that thanks to ordanance survey maps we tend not to get lost too often

Anyway into town we head and have a drink on the roof terrace at Escudo before nipping over to Gironda for our dinner reservation.   Such great views from all these roof terraces something I could never grow tired of.  Choices tonight are fillet steak for both of us with baked potato and veg.  Kev has peppercorn sauce and I choose bearnaise.  Very tasty and cooked medium rare to rare just as requested.  The music starts around 8.15. A guitarist and a lady who create a lovely ambience whilst we enjoy watching the moon rise from behind the hills, marvel at the perfect temperature and tuck into our meal.  Was hoping to have pudding but feeling too full I opt for a Caribbean coffee instead.  Very tasty way to end the meal.  So finally the bill including two glasses of wine, coffee and rum and coke 180 TL including tip. We did enjoy the food but Kev thinks his steak at Sade was better

Down the lane to The Fountain bar where it is beautifully lit and we enjoy a relaxed drink there _ definitely the best cocktails so far and such a lovely setting I can see us coming back a number of times.

A stroll along the front before deciding to sit in those elegant thrones at Jimmy's cocktail bar.   Lovely to look at all the yachts moored up but the choice of musii let it down for us. Not as keen on that waterfront area with the bright lights and music in the evening as the quieter bars elsewhere in Kalkan, but its good that there is so much choice and something for everyone

A slow stroll back and an Efes by the pool before bed. 

Plans for today are laze by the pool, try and decide where to eat tonight and try and find Deniz without getting lost.  To this end the phone is charging and google maps are being scrutinised

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 09:42:56 AM »
What a lovely report I was walking with you. When we first came to Kalkan we had the top room at Yali hotel as it was then and we loved it. We spent a lot of time at Caretta Caretta in those days and loved it. The views are to die for and to sit by your own pool at night with drink in hand sounds wonderful. I envy you.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 10:33:14 AM »
Mussaka is for us the best restaurant in Kalkan. Its at the far end of the harbour road. They have never disappointed us.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 01:24:41 PM »
kevtamuk, I know what you mean about the harbour front being noisy...all the bars and restaurants try to compete with each other  for business and think if their music is loud it will attract people in. I like Jimmys/Yakamoz, though as its a great people watching spot and the throne chairs make me feel like the Queen :)
I'm worried about you using google maps - I'm concerned you might have a big phone bill when you get home :o might be an idea to ask the guys in Pavillions to direct you to where you want to go or look at the location codes against businesses and maps on KTLN (www.turkishlocalnews.com)
There's nothing wrong with staying at your lovely accommodation all day - you make up your own rules  ;D
Look forward to hearintg more about your stay

Offline kevtamuk

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 06:06:32 AM »
So after a chilled out morning we eat at Chillies for lunch.  Love the blown up bread _ what's that called?  Both have a chicken bide and Efes which was tasty.  Have a wander down to the harbour and decide to get Turkish delight and baklava for gifts now so that we don't have to think about it later

Also pop into the cushion cover shop and purchase two bottles of "designer" perfume for 10 tl each

Thanks to you Kalkanregular we book Mussakka for tonight , we had liked the look of their menu and your recommendation prompted us to book.   More on that later

So a very lazy afternoon back at the pool before we decide to have another shot at finding Denis cocktail bar.   Kalkan4eva don't worry about the phone bill Vodafone are getting the princely sum of £3 per day from me for roaming and I have a full month of allowance so no nasty shocks when we get back.   Anyway we are successful in our quest and enjoy a lovely cocktail on the terrace.  We have a nice chat with the owner who tells us that he only opened last season and that business is good.  We were amazed at the hours the turks work.  He says he helps out in his parents supermarket and does the bar and other things too.  Just like our tireless servers at LP who seem to be there from early morning to last thing at night

After a relaxing time listening to the music we head down to the town have a drink in the Fountain bar before our meal in Mussakka.  Its quite busy when we get there and we enjoy watching the lady lovingly making bread on the hot plate.

I decide on scampi, mushroom champagne risotto and Kev has parmesan chicken in a mushroom sauce.   What can I say but fantastic.  The flavours, seasoning were spot on - we both rated this our best meal so far.   Thanks for the recommendation Kalkanregular definitely one we will re-visit next year.

Someone there is celebrating a birthday and there is much excitement when the birthday music starts and he is presented with a sparking cake and lots of firework sparklers are lit - what fun

A drink in Botanik is our next stop and I try a dark Efes which I really enjoy, before a nightcap in the quirky El Cafe del Mar - at least I think that's what it is called.  Lots of curiosities and a wide selection of coffees and drinks.   A lovely end to the evening before a slow walk home via a lamp shop where we enquire about the costs for a potential purchase before we leave

Today is our organised boat trip which we are looking forward to, only hope that there is no rain as the waiter in Chillies said to expect some today

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 06:52:12 AM »
Next time you are in mussaka try their steak with plum sauce, glad you liked it.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 04:24:59 PM »
...or Summer Steak. My personal favourite :)
Lovely report kevtamuk...and have to say relieved about your phone bill. Our daughter managed to rack up £600 in phone charges back in 2009. I've never forgotten it...I thought I was seeing things when the bill arrived for £400 (she was at Uni then so we paid her phone) Called O2 and they agreed to waiver the excessive charges on that bill and the bill they were currently preparing for a further £200!!!! She just went on Facebook a couple of times apparently :o :o
Seems like you are finding your way around Kalkan now...Hope you had a great boat trip today :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
kalkan first timers

Started by shebs1964 on Introduce Yourself

1 Replies
Last post May 14, 2013, 06:58:55 PM
by Helshe
xx
Two Timers

Started by Sarah S on Holiday Reports and Reviews

15 Replies
Last post October 17, 2018, 07:35:42 PM
by Sarah S
recycled
1st timers

Started by skauser on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 09:37:58 AM
by skauser
xx
first timers

Started by scooby555 on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 05:36:33 PM
by scooby555

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal