Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Calis and Kalkan, so very different resorts....  (Read 3893 times)

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Calis and Kalkan, so very different resorts....
« on: September 18, 2012, 03:10:46 PM »
Hi all, well we got back last night from our week in Calis beach near Fethiye. Our 3rd time here although we haven't been for a couple of years and at the risk of sounding snobbish it's got 'too English'. We had a good relaxing week and the weather was fab but we found ourselves comparing it all the time to Kalkan! We had a fabulous meal in Fethiye, it's a little restaurant called Mozaic bache and i can highly recommend it if you are ever in Fethiye. It's run by a Turkish guy Doghan and his English girlfriend Nichola and they just do real Turkish food. It's our 3rd visit here (ate here a couple of years ago), and it's now number one on Trip advisor for Fethiye and i'm really pleased for them. The big difference i noticed was the standard of toilets in restaurants, not like the ones in Kalkan!!
Was surprised at Dalaman airport yesterday to see a sniffer dog working, the first time we've seen this here. It was working at the end of the conveyor belt when you put your suitcases on.
So it's now looking forward to next years visit back to our beloved Kalkan and the Pirat hotel!!
 :) :) :)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10182.0
Nicky

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
Re: Calis and Kalkan, so very different resorts....
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 04:44:34 PM »
Aaaw Nicky what a shame sounds like you enjoyed but not as much, that's one of the reasons we won't try anywhere else now as I know we would be forever saying "oh not the same as in kalkan" glad you be back next year and just to let you know we enjoyed the Pirat especially for the location and views and have already booked ther for next june.

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 05:38:54 PM »
Hi Chrissy, yes we enjoyed it as we did what we wanted which was chill out for a week and we had a couple of enjoyable trips into Fethiye but the Pirat hotel and Kalkan has spoiled us!! Glad you enjoyed the Pirat, the location is fabulous isn't it. That was something else we were comparing, views from the hotel bars, and the one at the Pirat takes some beating doesn't it. On the upside, i got a fabulous 'geniunefake' leather Jilsander bag :) :) :)! The shopping in Calis is just not the same as Kalkan though. You have picked a lovely time to go as well booking for June, we have to wait till the end of the Sep :( :(

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 07:54:09 PM »
Glad you enjoyed Calis again Nicky, sometimes a change is as good as a rest, so they say, but I know what you mean, we were even comparing barbados to Kalkan the other year when we were there and Kalkan actually came out on top!!! It was great to read about your trip. I miss fethiye and Calis sometimes, but we can never drag ourselves off our backsides when we are in Kalkan, to actually visit while we are there!!  :)

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 10:23:43 PM »
Our initiation to Turkey was at Calis Beach, we stayed in an apartment outside of the town down by the cliffs. We'd drive in and park down by the water taxis. The shops are all down one street and nowhere near as varied as Kalkan, we did most of our shopping in Fethiye. We went back to the same apartment 18 months later, we holiday in May & October, and enjoyed our time there. We do hire a car so it's mainly a base. We loved the water taxis. We nearly always ate on the seafront and found the restaurants pretty friendly and go value for money.
The following year I suggested we try somewhere else and went north to Akbuk outside of Bodrum, although it was nice but totally different, a small village with limited places to eat. Mrs P didn't like it as much as Calis so this year I suggested we go back south and that was when I discovered Kalkan. Once I'd booked I joined this forum to get some info and found so many nice things being said about it couldn't wait to experience Kalkan. Mrs P fell in love with it on the second day. On our way back to Dalaman in May I suggested we break our journey by going into Calis for breakfast. Parked up in our "usual" parking spot and went onto the seafront for breakfast. I was shocked how much it had changed, I hardly recognised the names of the restaurants so couldn't go to somewhere we'd eaten before. A shame really.
Well we are coming back to Kalkan in a couple of weeks and do plan to go into Fethiye for a day to do a bit of shopping and visit the market. 
Kalkan is definitely number 1 in our eyes.

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 07:13:26 PM »
We still loved Fethiye Pompeyalbie and we had a couple of good trips there on the water taxi. We had a lovely lunch at a restaurant called Address on the harbourfront, we had Pide which the owner told us was really good and it was. We noticed how Calis has changed in the 2 years since we last went, as you go over the water taxi bridge down the main street it's got really noisy with the various bars. As you say the shopping is better in Fethiye than Calis. If we return to the area we will stay in Fethiye, there is a lovely little boutique hotel on the harbour which we have looked at in the past. Have a lovely holiday and enjoy your day shopping in Fethiye.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Web cam sites in other resorts

Started by Chucky on The Everything Else Area!

1 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 10:15:10 PM
by Chucky
xx
Calis waterpark

Started by kalkancrazy on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

1 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 06:51:22 PM
by Chucky
xx
Calis Beach

Started by Sandancer on Other Resorts

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 08:47:21 PM
by Sandancer
xx
Calis Carnival

Started by Chucky on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post March 15, 2008, 03:17:41 PM
by Chucky

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan Beach

Views: 3139
By: itstime
Meis