Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Better Late Than Never by Bob & Jayne  (Read 52854 times)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Re: Better Late Than Never by Bob & Jayne
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2014, 08:53:59 AM »
Sounds amazing....next time we are in Kalkan when it's very hot we may try that.....probably not ideal in October as the evening are sometimes a bit chillier? Have never been on a moonlight cruise either, will have to try that too! Look forward to the next installment  :laugh:

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2014, 10:57:19 AM »
Yippee!!!  ;D

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2014, 11:37:39 AM »
It sounds and looked divine Jayne - definitely something to do when we go next year.  We got a beatspill as well when we were over - same price.  Also some headphones which are quite good.  Lizzie you must be SOOO excited by now! Have a safe journey and I look forward to hearing all about it.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2014, 05:38:01 AM »
Morning All - so tired today, 7am, I'm waking a little later each morning! maybe by the end of our holiday I will be awake at 7.30am instead of 6am! Looking out the sun is just coming up over Mouse and Snake, what a beautiful sight.

Friday - After breakfast (fried eggs this morning with crispy edges, yummy! just how OH likes them!), we packed our bags, smothered ourselves with Factor 20, and set off down to the Harbour for our second trip on Pina X with Captain Abdi. Walking down the very steep hill past Photo Pizza, we bumped into Mehmet from the Pirat, he was so happy to see us, asking why we weren't staying at the Pirat again this year! had a quick chat and off we went.

A lovely family were already on the boat, we awaited 4 more people to arrive and off we went.  The weather this week was gorgeous, Abdi said the wind wasn't in the right direction to go to Kapatus, so we went to Frank Bay, Fernez Bay, Camelstone and the Mud Bath Bay.  I wasn't going to participate by Bob thought it would be a good idea, so we swam ashore, smothered ourselves in mud and waited for it to dry! goodness knows what I must have looked like, but I have to say on the bits I slapped the mud on, I am sure I feel soft and look at least 6 months younger this morning! He fed us very well, the lunch was amazing especially the chicken curry and borek, which I merrily tucked into! A fruit platter and cake and biscuits in the afternoon later, and we were full to the brim, saying we definitely wouldn't be eating much tonight.

We arrived back at 6pm, and bumped into some friends that had arrived on Tuesday, was lovely to see them again too.  Back up that hill we went, stopping off for water on the way, and back to the hotel.  So tired, but happy, and still full, well for a while anyway.  We decided about 9pm that we would just pop out for a small something or other! We went to Oz Adana on the roundabout by the Taxi Rank, and what a surprise we got.  I ordered the Adana Lamb Kebab and Bob ordered the chicken wings, mine was 13TL and Bob's 10TL, so we thought wouldn't be massive.  Firstly a huge shepherd's salad appeared on the biggest plate you could imagine, followed by a mountain of lovely hot bread, and then a dish of chacik! not sure about that spelling! I just looked on in horror, thinking we only wanted a snack, and our main hadn't even arrived.  They don't sell alcohol, so ordered a diet coke and a large water.  The waiter then said to Bob that they had run out of chicken wings and would a shish be okay, yes he said.  When the mains arrived, Bob had masses of chicken,  and my lamb was succulent and so tasty.  All came with yet more salad and more bread! We ate what we could, and then asked for the bill, what a little hidden gem that place is.  The bill arrived, and it was the total sum of 29Tl (around £7.98)! amazing value.  Would definitely recommend going here. We also noticed on the menu that grilled seabass was 20TL and it looked beautiful too.

It was 11pm by now and we were very tired, but had had a fabulous day, so off to bed we went.

Haybo glad you are home safely, hope your journey was okay.  Lizzie, you must  be almost on your way now, hope your stocking up on that duty free and OH is treating you to some nice perfume!!!!  ;D

It's Kekova today for us, we need to be outside Kipa Supermarket for 9am, so up and out soon as need to have breakfast and see what eggs are in store for us this morning!

Have a lovely Saturday everyone. 

Shirley

Offline The Reads

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2014, 06:26:33 PM »
Hi bob and Jayne :)

Newbies to joining the forum however we have been reading posts since our first visit to kalkan last year.

This time 3 weeks ago we were sat at Dalaman airport on our way home from two fantastic weeks in Kalkan, really sad faces all around.

Your blog this week has lifted our holiday blues a little as we felt like we are back there with you, haven't been on since Tuesday but currently sat in the garden at home, with a glass of wine but really missing our mezze. We are also all big fans of PinaX and captain Abdi, unfortunately was too rough for us to visit the mud bath this year.

Look forward to reading the rest of your posts, however making us miss kalkan that little bit more x

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2014, 07:47:51 PM »
Look forward to hearing all about the Kekova trip as I think we ought to do this again as we haven't been since our first visit 10 years ago!

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2014, 12:18:48 AM »
I'm glad to say I told you so about Oz Adana - shocked that they don't have alcohol though - they always used to. Can't imagine what I'd do!  ??? ??? ???. Dying to read about today - the Kekova trip and presumably a meet up with Lizilu, Automan and the gang? Meanwhile back at the ranch a trip to Saffron Walden, lunch at the Old English Gentleman pub in the garden, beautiful Serrano ham on the bone from the Spanish stall in the market, ditto Kalamata olives from olive stall, langoustines and crab from the fish man for lunch tomorrow. Fab weather too - for England!!! Not as good as Kalkan though!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2014, 05:26:41 AM »
Good Morning everyone

Firstly if I seem a bit confused in writing my blog today is that either I had too much sun yesterday or too much wine! Things seem somewhat foggy this morning to say the least! and really should be wearing dark glasses as I write this.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Saturday - up early down to breakfast (no eggs today, water melon), really don't like it, and didn't dare smuggle it on Bob's plate! 2 cups of coffee and round the corner to Kipa to await our bus to take us to Kekova. This year, the boats are leaving from Kekova rather than Kas we were told, because of the winds and the choppy seas.

Bus arrived on time, we got in, a lovely brand new bus with air con full blast.  Lovely.  It took around an hour, the scenery was beautiful.  We arrived around 10am, all piled out and boarded the boat. Absolutely stunning, a much nicer way of seeing the place than going to Kas we thought.  We stopped off at 5 different coves and bays to swim and take in the scenery.  When we reached the sunken city, the captain lifted up the carpet to reveal the glass bottom on the boat for everyone to see.  We then went to another bay to have lunch, where he fired up the bbq and cooked chicken, kofte, bulgar wheat, salad, pasta with yoghurt and butter on the top (this was lovely) and I don't even like pasta! aubergine salad, courgette fritters and a mountain of lovely fresh bread. There were around 40 people on the boat, and there was enough food to feed double that amount I am sure!

After lunch we then swam again, and then off to Simena.  We had been a few times before, but every time we visit it gets even more beautiful.  We left the boat and climbed the steps, not quite as far as the castle, but further than we had on previous years.  Then back down to the lovely cafe overlooking the water for a beer, water and icecream, oh and a beach dress that they were selling.  20Tl for the dress and it is so pretty!

Back on board after an hour or so, and then off to another bay to swim.  We saw around 8 turtles in all, and at this stop there was a large one swimming near the boat.  So amazing to see.  Our trip finished around 5pm and back on the bus and we made our way back to Kalkan. The cost of our day out was £20 each, and it was worth every penny.

We had an fantastic day, and so I decided to open the wine, not sure whether it was the sun, or the fact that I was celebrating that Lizzie and Automan had arrived, that in no time at all I had drank the whole bottle, and very nice it was too.  Then off we went out to meet them in Adana Okabasi, and my goodness was it lovely to see them. We had a really lovely evening, chatting and eating and for me 2 more glasses of wine was probably a big mistake, I think I should have stuck to water. Bob said I was slurring by the time we left!

Skunk - I am wishing that Adana Okabasi didn't sell alcohol now like Oz Adana, and maybe things would be somewhat clearer this morning!! Your meal sounded lovely by the way.

Anyway we said our goodbyes, and off we all went. I am still awake this morning at stupid o'clock, but have taken 2 well needed Paracetamol to help with the headache!!

Imagine Lizzie will be writing later, so look forward to that!  :D :D :D

Happy Sunday everyone.

Shirley   

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 05:37:30 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2014, 08:35:27 AM »
Not happy- to say it is chucking it down here is a MASSIVE understatement!   Feel my tan has faded 6 shades just looking out of the window......

Wish we had tried Adana now - would have saved a pretty penny!

Got some friends over  from Australia visiting for lunch so Dave is already in the kitchen! Slow cooked beef and all the trimmings! May lift my mood a little!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2014, 09:04:19 AM »
So good to see you both last night, it's like we were never apart hahaha!!! Looking forward to fun times ahead.  ;D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2014, 10:23:41 AM »
Oh Shirley, I feel your pain.....whether its too much wine or too much sun, or a combination of both, it's not a good feeling :P
I love Kekova but I think it's about 7 years since we went. We are definitely going back next year, you made it sound wonderful and I like the idea of not going from Kas. Who did you book with?
We haven't tried Adana Okabasi...in all honesty I was gutted when Oz Adana were forced out of there a couple of years back so couldn't bring myself to go. Now Oz Adana are in their new premises in town, we might give it a go next year. I won't feel so bad...
Looking forward to hearing all about your fun times ahead with Lizilu and family.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2014, 12:24:31 PM »
Shirley, a couple of questions......where is Adana Okabasi and who did you go to Kekova with? I think we need to branch out a little this year!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2014, 08:36:12 PM »
Babs, Adana Okabasi is where Oz Adana used to be for umpteen years, up the road that leads to Dream Hotel, by Samira Exclusive. Near Rose restaurant if you know it. I think Jayne/Shirley will let us know who they went to Kekova with when she next posts.....she says hopefully.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2014, 09:16:21 PM »
So turn right past the Samira?

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2014, 10:00:49 PM »
Stand facing Kipa supermarket...take the road to the left of it....you will see Rose...its before there.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2014, 11:31:48 PM »
It's on the left walking down from Kaya, before Samira...

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2014, 05:22:39 AM »
Morning All!

Just reading all your posts, sorry I didn't get back yesterday.  Yes Babs, Adana Okabasi is by the Rose Restaurant in the road on the right turning up by Kipa Supermarket.   K4E we didn't know that Oz Adana used to be there either, but have to say both are excellent, and we will be visiting again before our holiday is over.

Babs we booked Kekova through Abi Tours, which is just opposite Yardin Jewellers as you go into town.  Would recommend them definitely, in fact if we weren't running out of days, I would love to go again, it was a fabulous day.

Now, where do I start?

Sunday - down to breakfast (Eggie bread this morning) was the surprise addition! not sure it is or ever has been my thing, but Bob tucked into mine, he didn't mind me slipping that on his plate! Due to my still fuzzy head, we decided to wander down to the town beach, via Define Tours to book our Saklikent Trip next Tuesday with Lizzie and the Gang, being Sunday and election day, we were told Kalkan would be busy, and it was, but we still got our beds at the sea front again with 2 umbrellas! Lovely, settled down, firstly with a swim, and watching the boats set sail. It was as calm as could be down there, but very hot.  Lunchtime soon arrived so we wandered up to the Beach Cafe, we are beginning to really love that place, always shady and lovely to sit and watch people on the beach. I was feeling much better after lunch, so back to the beds and another swim we went.  Suddenly a young lad appeared carrying a tray of ice cold Orange and Lemon Slush Puppies, he was from Doy Doy, we welcomed him with open arms, they were delicious, and a mere 1TL each!   

We made our way back up through town, stopping off at BSG to look at the  bags, my friend wants an Alexa Mulberry, and I have been looking for her, couldn't believe it when the exact one in black that she wants had gone in the sale today, so I reserved it just need to double check with her first and will collect it today.  I bought while I was in town a Long Champ bag for me, which is lovely.  We called in to the supermarket on the way back for water, and some chocolate treats for Adem's girls as we were taking our friends there again tonight, as it was their last night.  On getting back to the hotel, I went to get my bag, and suddenly realised I had lost it! a few choice words came out of my mouth ........ OH saying you have no chance of finding that now, and bless him, he said I will buy you another one! but no I was going back to find it! first stop off was Kipa where we had called in, started to ask the Cashier if I had left it in there, and before I finished my question, I spotted it all neatly still in the carrier bag behind the counter! I was so happy that somebody handed it in, thank you whoever it was!

Anyway back to the hotel, a quick dip in the pool to cool off and get ready for our pick up at 7pm.  Adem arrived bang on time, we went down to the Harbour to collect our friends and then off to pick up another 7 people at various stops, he can take 11 in his van!!  Everyone seemed happy and off we went to the Restaurant.  As he had promised we had the top table overlooking the sea, it couldn't have been nicer.  We ordered a mixed meze and mushroom saute for us all to share for starters, 3 lamb shanks and a peppered steak for OH, all of which were delicious.  My lamb shank fell off the bone, it arrives on a sizzling plate on fire and slowly finishes cooking at your table.  Of course I ordered a sharing plate of their home made chips (by the way I am not having chips this holiday!!!!) or getting on those scales in the reception, Ice creams and baclava for dessert, and we were done! It was all so delicious, our friends who had never been to Kalkan before let alone Adem's thought the whole setting was amazing, and we are so glad that they spent their last night there.  They will be back by the sounds of it, the Kalkan bug has bitten them too .........

Around 10.30 we set off back to Kalkan.  Can't believe we had been sat at the Restaurant for over 3 hours, how time flies when your enjoying yourself! Back at the hotel, we messaged the Gang, as we had said if we were  back in time we would meet for a nightcap! They were in Moonlight Bar, so not far to walk, as after our huge meal, we were feeling a little full! Keenan the nut man appeared, so lovely to see him, and the man that sells the roses, such a lovely atmosphere. 2 hours later, and after a lot of laughter (Bob and Automan were being very hilarious tonight  :) :) :) :), like 2 naughty school boys!) we thought we had better retire to our beds. Last thing I said to Bob as he switched off the light around 1.15am, will definitely be waking up late in the morning. But no, 6.20am and wide awake! never mind, at least I am getting the most out of my time here in Kalkan. 

Fun in the Sun to be continued ...............  :D :D :D

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 05:25:20 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2014, 05:46:51 AM »
Glad to see you have taken over the 6:20 shift! This means I have a lovely report to read with my morning cuppa. Back to work today for me.  M6, m42 and m40 here I come!

Glad you got your bag back.  I will be using my new bag for the first time today! Have a great Monday x

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2014, 05:56:39 AM »
Hope your day goes okay Haybo, but at least you get to use your new bag! Will be working on a time slot to seek out that web cam by the way!!!  8) x

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2014, 07:13:43 AM »
It's lovely to have my breakfast fix each day! Well I use the term breakfast loosely as I'm on the 5.2 diet and today is a fast day :(
In all the trips we've made to Kalkan we have only been to Adems once and it was a bit of a disaster........
My daughter squealed every time a chicken went near her feet and Adems daughter cut her arm badly and everyone had to rush off to the doctor! Maybe we should try it again this year? My to do list grows by the day!
I know exactly where Adana Okabasi is now and Abi travel I knew about as we've used them before.....thanks peeps! :laugh:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Better late than Never

Started by macrefield mom on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

1 Replies
Last post October 22, 2013, 01:43:27 PM
by kalkan4eva
smiley
Better late than never

Started by BevJam on Introduce Yourself

4 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 07:08:38 PM
by Chucky
xx
Late doors...

Started by pw on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post September 07, 2014, 05:49:02 PM
by Kuzu
xx
Late Departure

Started by kazilla on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2019, 08:14:43 PM
by Kalkan regular

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kas Pelicans

Views: 5732
By: Mr T
Cafe Vita