Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Beautiful but with reservations  (Read 10491 times)

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
Re: Beautiful but with reservations
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2016, 02:30:39 PM »
I never get the 'someones always worse off than you' argument. It suggests that you should make do with any situation and not try to improve it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 02:47:05 PM by chickengeorge »

Offline sylviesue

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2016, 06:46:17 PM »
Just out of interest chickengeorge what are you doing to try to improve the situation ?

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2016, 06:59:33 PM »
Same old question and I'm sure you're not truly interested. I was at the meeting where 80% wanted something done and I have written to the Belediye along with, I suspect, many others. Nothing seems to be done. It's the kapsa way or no way. I've been to Olu Deniz, Fethiye and Gocek this year and none of them seem to have the same problems. Strange first post but nice of you to sign up to ask. 🙂

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2016, 07:13:48 PM »
Chickengeorge - Are you aware that a statement was issued by AA Fethiye recently advising that the dogs from the Fethiye dogs home are being returned to the streets? Also you say that 80% of people at the meeting wanted something done,I would say that 100% of the people at the meeting wanted something done!

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2016, 07:21:38 PM »
A step backwards for Fethiye then.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2016, 07:46:53 PM »
I prefer the holiday reports....... they're less contentious!!

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2016, 07:51:58 PM »
I agree Keith, but you could always read those and not read this one.

Offline sylviesue

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2016, 08:02:27 PM »
Thanks for the reply chickengeorge, just intersted.I don't bother to post,just enjoy reading people's opinions of Kalkan and the enjoyable holiday reports ;)

Offline sidari

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2016, 11:15:21 PM »
Well thanks everyone for all your input, it is indeed a subject that divides opinion. Let me say that we had a fantastic time in  Kalkan and will be back sometime. The dogs in the town do not seem to be the issue here. It is the packs on the hillsides and around villas that are the issue. Just one more example of annoyance, we had just got the glad rags on and started the walk to town when a large brown and white dog ran out from some wet mud where someone had been watering, and jumped up, coating me with red brown mud, and I had to go back and change. The dog was not aggressive, was just being friendly. This is my point, it is just another form of nuisance. The dogs actually get into the villa grounds and pool area even though there is a gate. I do not want to spend time ushering dogs out however friendly they may be. I fully agree with BL, that goes without saying. But I still feel that some people are in denial. Perhaps it should be mentioned in villa descriptions that you may be kept awake at night by barking dogs, or intimidated on your way to and from town. Also that earplugs may be required. Then see how that affects bookings. Kalkan is a gem, there is nowhere to touch it, the people as one are the friendliest you will meet anywhere. Don't let this spoil it. Perhaps the description from Premier Inn rooms could be re worded. "This villa is situated near to barking dogs-earplugs are provided to minimise noise" Thanks again everyone for your comments.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2016, 10:35:57 AM »
Great the businesses in town will just love this.  Already struggling with visitor numbers down so let's add to that and try and put more people off visiting.  Do you people really love Kalkan or do you want a Kalkan purpose made for you and your requirements. Just think about it.  There is nothing we can do about the dog situation, it is Turkey, it is life in Turkey.  If the Turkish Belediye won't do anything what do you expect others to do?  Stop writing on forums like this and continue to write to them, just one day hopefully someone from the council may read that letter/email  and do something. In the meantime those who are, please stop bashing KAPSA, as actually they are the only ones doing anything.

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2016, 11:51:56 AM »
Charlie - people have opinions and should be allowed to air them on a public forum. I have seen complaints on too many TVs, sport, fish bowls, searchlights, traffic, the harbour redevelopment, etc. Should everything negative be stopped. No, probably not.

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2016, 11:56:07 AM »
Our villa is in Kiziltas on the road joining the Akbel Road.  We live in Kalkan 6 months of every year and have never once seen a pack of dogs or heard dogs barking in the night (but my neighbor says her neighbor's dog barks to come in).  No renter has ever complained about barking dogs.  Maybe it is because our villa is surrounded entirely by a high stone wall, no dogs can get in (or out since we have 2 house dogs).  The most I've seen have been dogs walking up the road to Akbel and a bitch who every year drops a load of 6-10 puppies in a nearby field.  Tried to catch her to neuter, couldn't get within 30 feet of her.  I suspect those areas where packs tend to form do so because someone is feeding one or more of the pack dogs.  Like cats.  If you feed one, soon others know about it and try to take their share.

That said, I do agree there is a problem and there have been some serious incidents of attacks both of dogs attacking people and people cruelly attacking dogs.  Unhappily, we fear it is a problem that may not get resolved anytime soon unless the surrounding villagers bring in all their dogs for neutering - which will never happen.

Meanwhile, sleep with AC on or use ear plugs. These are the alternatives if the problem is really bad.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2016, 05:15:21 PM »
Are we not forgetting that the street dogs also attack the non-street dogs?

(I'm sitting on the fence on this one :angel:)
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline mel

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2016, 09:32:27 PM »
I have lived in Kiziltas for 12 years and have had many sleepless nights due to the barking dogs, it is worse in recent years. I cannot sleep with aircon on so like my windows open. The large dogs also intimidate me when there are so many of them together. It is worse in Kalkan than any other areas of Turkey that i have been to.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2016, 11:09:31 AM »
Of course, it's worth noting (trivia warning:) that only domesticated dogs bark.  By that, those who exist around humans, not necessarily pets.

Wild dogs, do not bark.  Many other sounds, communication is at many levels - the howl being one, the warning growl another, but they don't exhibit the same barking behaviour.

Perhaps they're mimicking humans and discussing Pudsey/Matisse on BGT? (I think that's right - never, ever seen BGT).

Or then again, maybe we are barking mad? >:D

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2016, 11:34:58 AM »
im keeping quiet

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Reservations at Adams.

Started by Haybo on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

1 Replies
Last post May 04, 2014, 12:23:42 PM
by Chris_S
xx
It's a Beautiful Day

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

9 Replies
Last post August 30, 2013, 04:34:26 PM
by Bob & Jayne
xx
Beautiful Dog Contest

Started by Lougie on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post July 15, 2008, 10:05:08 PM
by foreverkalkan
xx
Beautiful Weather in Sheffield

Started by jooles168 on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post June 04, 2013, 08:43:42 PM
by ak1945

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal