Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Bear on Tour (Again)  (Read 5993 times)

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Bear on Tour (Again)
« on: October 04, 2017, 09:16:17 AM »
Tickets printed-check, taxi booked - check, visa up to date -check, cases down - do that this morning, clothes clean- check, bag of food for cats - check, camera batteries charged - check. Think we are nearly ready.
This trips title comes from the fact that years ago Janet's grand daughter bought me a Pompey Teddy which we have to take on every holiday and take photos of him at various places so he's been to Kalkan numerous times and even been up the top of the Empire State in NYC. So if you spot an old bloke with a bears head poking out of his shorts leg pocket you'll know who it is.
We've our usual 7:20 flight out of Gatwick so should be at Elmas by 4pm with a bit of luck. Looking forward to some nice meals at our favourite places, a nice day on Yildiz, catch up with Ozay & Tumay at MissSiilver and a trip over to Calis Beach to meet up with an old workmate of Janet's who moved there early this year.
Stay tuned to see what mischief Bear gets up to over the next 7 days  ;D

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13835.0

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
Re: Bear on Tour (Again)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 09:42:01 AM »
Well have a great flight. The weather is perfect at the moment.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 11:37:02 AM »
Have a fab time along with Mr Bear, safe journey and look forward to a report or two Pompeyalbie  :D :D

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 12:57:04 PM »
Have a lovely holiday - all 3 of you!

We have a Mr Ted in our family. He belongs to Batgirl, was her first cuddly toy and is a well seasoned traveller, coming on every family holiday with us for the past 16 years. He's a bit threadbare and had been kitted out in new gear a few times, latterly in a set of PJ's and a smoking jacket kindly made by a friend who makes prem baby clothes.

Hope Mr Ted and Mr Bear get change for a rendezvous some day. I'm sure they'd have lots to chat about. Meanwhile safe travels.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 02:20:57 PM »
Be careful carrying a bear in your pocket....I've heard what they do in the woods >:D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 02:26:29 PM »
Enjoy your trip. It's good to see that you are packing the 'bear' essentials. You shouldn't have any problems with weight restrictions. Looking forward to reading all about your holiday.

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 06:48:31 PM »
Any chance of you putting a photo of the bear, on holiday in Kalkan, on the gallery?   He may be old enough to be having a drink, or at least eating out at some well known restaurant.   He must be a well seasoned traveller.   

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 09:41:25 PM »
Just tried 3 different ones but it says invalid file & it's only a standard jpg ??? Have put one on Enjoy Kalkan Facebook page
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 09:48:39 PM by Pompeyalbie »

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 07:46:21 AM »
Hope you and Bear have a ball!

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 03:52:54 PM »
Bear & his entourage have arrived & guess what? It's sunny. More later

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 04:21:44 PM »
Welcome it's do beautiful here at the mo.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 09:43:23 PM »
It's been a long eventful day, up at 2 am, taxi turned out to be a nice comfortable Merecdes and got to Gatwick in plenty of time. I must've been tired as going through departures I took out my iPad, media player, took off my jacket & belt then walked through the detector with keys, change & phone in my pockets, needless to say I got the "what a fin" look from the lady as I stood shoeless in the machine & got patted down. The flight on Thomas Cattleplane Airlines was pretty uneventful, lass time we had a nice wide berth plane with legroom, this time it was the cramped 2 rows of 3. Anyway got to Dalaman and went looking for the car, the last few occasions we've used Dalaman Car Hire but I forgot which one it was and used Dalaman Cars, the car was a 110k Citreon which struggled up the steep mountains on the D400 and it is a bit tatty, still it got us here. Arrived in good time & went shopping for essentials at Yali, now Anka, but no olives so popped to the market for some. I have a breakfast regime out here of boiled egg, cheese, olives, toast &ha cup of tea on the veranda overlooking the bay.
Janet went for a bath & there was no hot water so rang up the agent and he sent a man to sort that out so we were late for eating especially as we'd not eaten since 5:30 that morning. I was amazed to see the streets were busy and restaurants were pretty busy we were lucky to get a table at Sade, nice to see it is recovering after last season. I won't bore you with how deicious the stuffed sea bass was, I had a mishap there as well dripping balsamic vinegar on my shirt
. Next stop was Alternatif to book a table for tomorrow night for my birthday meal, they were full too. Then I drove down to the harbour to drop FA duty fres to Ozay and have a chat. The fun began now, driving back up the hill, it couldn't cope so dropped it into first only to get wheel spin and a rubber burning smell, let it roll back down the hill and went got it up the straight road to the Kalamar Rd knowing the surface was better for grip, we made it just about. Got back to Elmas and the flippin car radio wouldn't turn off so I faffed around with that until I finally got it off. Finally went to bed & the fireworks start up on the quay so I did a quick Facebook Live of that to show everyone at home.
Tomorrow is my 66th so not sure what to do, I quite like the idea of going to Saklikant and riding down the river on a doughnut while Janet sits reading her book but not sure if you can just turn up & do it or whether you go through a tour agency.

Offline Alexis72

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 07:07:56 AM »
Hi Pompeyalbie, myself and my neice went to the Saklikent gorge independently using Yusaf Ay a local taxi driver. It costs 190 TL return. Think you can do a trip for slightly cheaper but we preferred the freedom to choose how long we stayed there. It was really quiet when we went, but were told by many people to get there early to avoid the crowds. Take swim shoes if you're going to walk far into the gorge, the ones they sell there are really uncomfortable. Hope you enjoy you birthday x

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 07:35:35 AM »
Got up this morning and was about to make my version of a Turkish breakfast, boiled egg/cheese/olives & bread, and found the gas bottle was empty so cancelled that. Janet didn't need much persuading to go to Fener for breakfast seeing as we had to go to the harbour anyway to book up for Yildiz. Saw Osman so we are booked on for Monday morning. After my massive Turkish breakfast & Janets cornflakes with fruit & yoghurt, we went walkabout,first stop was Goz where someone decided she needs new reading & distance glasses & not bog standard ones either. Moving on browsing shoes etc I decided we needed refreshment so stopped at Merkez for a Jedi Juice & an Efes then back to Elmas for a laze by & in the pool. On the way we booked a taxi for tonight as i fancied more than 1 beer tonight as it's my birthday. Whilst lazing around I notice a speedboat towing a parasail & thought I've got to have a go at that so after a bit of Googling it is by the harbour so will have to check it out.
My pre dinner treat was a shave & haircut at Eddie's, was in there ages having the works, shave, massage, haircut, hair wash, nose & ear trim, burnt ears etc I felt so relaxed afterwards. Dinner was at Alternatif which was up to its usual standard, the steak was perfectly cooked and the blue cheese,mushroom & prawn sauce was amazing.
Back at Elmas & the lights have gone, mass power cut taking out Kisla & Kalkan by the looks of things.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 06:49:53 PM »
I wonder how Bear would take to parasailing?!  ;D

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 06:10:49 AM »
Happy birthday for yesterday Pompeyalbie, sounds like you had a fab day and steak at Alternatif to celebrate sounds perfect! Hope that you manage to get to Saklikent, it is lovely there, never done the Ringos but really would like to one day, look forward to hearing what it is like if you do go.   :D :D

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 06:21:24 AM »
A grey day yesterday, it rained during the night but dem,spite the wind the clouds hung around. Went over to see Adam to book for that evening. His daughter Sumeyra gets married next Saturday and gave us an invitation, unfortunately we'll be home by then, amazing to think she was still at school when we first met her & now she is getting married. After a Turkish tea & a menemen for a late breakfast we returned to Elmas where I rang Dalaman Cars, I am not happy with the car, it stalls and can't cope with steep inclines which isn't much good around here especially as we want to go to Islamlar at some stage. They are going to bring me a replacement but it'll be an upgrade & thus cost extra as it is coming from Dalaman.we've used them before with no problem but this one was scruffy on the inside and looked like it was one they'd found on the lot. I really didn't feel happy driving it so it had to go. Had a wander around town and a drink at Merkez, tried a beer recommended by a friend who lives in Calis, Bomondi instead of Efes & it was quite nice. Picked up a few bits of groceries and went back to Elmas as it was still a it grey but pleasant enough to sit on the terrace & read. I'd brought my Firestick as the lads are on Sky on Sunday and wasn't sure if Yali will be showing a lowly League 1 game so set it up so Janet can do her usual while I'm at football, that's watch the racing, as there was no shouting at the telly I can only assume she didn't pick any winners.
Adam collected us at 7 & we joined 2 couples & their son in his mini minibus, lovely people from Northumberland with made it a nice evening with plenty of laughs and delicious food. I must be so predictable as he never gave me a menu just said "Fried chickens liver & Lamb Shank?". The other couples had never seen the dish of fire before & the expression on their faces was priceless especially as one had also ordered it too. Needless to say it just fell off the bone and was as delicious as always. It was a good night and made a change from the 2 of us eating alone.

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 06:41:57 AM »
I love Adem and his family and we must make a concerted effort to go. How exciting his daughter getting married and theses were the kids years ago that used to sit in the boot of the car giggling and having so much fun. If you're about tonight we're going to Blue Turtle to listen to Aklan and Martyn. Love to meet you . Starts at about 9.00.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2017, 10:26:18 PM »
Happy belated birthday pompeyalbie. Like Joycie, I remember the girls joining us for the ride home, sticking their heads through the window, giggling as the wind whipped their hair around. How time flies.  :)

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 06:06:08 PM »
Interesting day on Sunday, the man from Dalaman Cars met me at the petrol,station & we exchanged car with some extra money going there way, so we have a nice Dacia now which doesn't make me cross my fingers when I drive up inclines. When the sky brightened up we decided to go to Xanthos as we've not been for a couple of years. Arrived nicely, paid my 10TL, left Janet in the car with her book, and set off the explore, the old man is still there offering his guide services. I got as far as the odeon when the heavens opened and there was nowhere to hide so "ran" (yeah right), back to the car, it was hammering down and headed back to Kalkan by which time the rain had stopped. We popped in to Barboros to pick up Janet's new glasses but he was busy so decided to go for lunch up at the Village Cafe in Islamlar. The Symbol would never had made it up there so glad we swapped it. Had a smashing grilled trout, shepherds salad & a plate of chips all for a silly price, well worth the drive up there. After a leisurely drive back we settled on the balcony in the afternoon sunshine before watching Pompey on SKY via my Firestick & Kodi, Bear having a seat infront of the telly, his mascot skills obviously paid off as we got a win. Neither of us were hungry so we lust went down into town and plonked ourselves in chairs at Utopia and had a beer & a cocktail whilst watching the boring England game.
Today the sun came back from his holidays and we went out with Osman on Yildiz 3, the sea was so warm, they put a temperature gauge in at the first stop and it was 23 degrees. I swam at every stop it was glorious, lovely food as always and only 11 people on board.
Picked up Janet's new glasses and now having a night in as after all that exercise I'm Kerry Packered.
Tomorrow we are off to Fethiye for the market and catch up with one of Janet's former colleagues who moved out to Calis Beach earlier thus year.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
DALYAN Tour

Started by Bob & Jayne on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

8 Replies
Last post July 12, 2012, 09:21:03 AM
by Bob & Jayne
xx
Saklikent, Bus or Tour?

Started by Lindy on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

12 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 08:15:34 PM
by lorilou
xx
Tour of Turkey

Started by Gelin on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

0 Replies
Last post October 10, 2017, 01:56:00 PM
by Gelin
xx
Tour of Turkey

Started by Gelin on Holiday Reports and Reviews

0 Replies
Last post September 26, 2018, 10:27:38 AM
by Gelin

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal